Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Flip Yr Wig
Feb 21, 2007

Oh please do go on
Fun Shoe

TheDeadlyShoe posted:

It's a bit. When he triumphantly reemerges from quarantine, this antibody cocktail is going to be the new bleach/hydroxy (rhetorically speaking.) He'll announce that he cured covid personally by taking the risky drug and proving it works.

Each new GOP ghoul who tests positive is one more piece of evidence against this conspiracy theory.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Flip Yr Wig
Feb 21, 2007

Oh please do go on
Fun Shoe
I'm putting up with watching Bolton on CNN just so I can see this poo poo live.

Flip Yr Wig
Feb 21, 2007

Oh please do go on
Fun Shoe

Tweet got pulled. It originally said that the White House was going to prevent pool photographers from seeing Trump leave.

Who knows what to make of it getting deleted.

Flip Yr Wig
Feb 21, 2007

Oh please do go on
Fun Shoe

Zophar posted:

Kinda weirded out that this helicopter has been sitting here waiting to be boarded for the better part of an hour. Either things are less bad than they look or way more bad.

I interpret it to mean that Trump is just conscious enough to be desperately attempting to stand up.

Flip Yr Wig
Feb 21, 2007

Oh please do go on
Fun Shoe

Mr Interweb posted:

i don't get it, what's taking so long? hasn't it been out waiting for like almost an hour now?

I've put my day completely on hold waiting to see him get hauled into the helicopter. I'm just getting annoyed now.

Flip Yr Wig
Feb 21, 2007

Oh please do go on
Fun Shoe

Eric Cantonese posted:

Isn't this a good holding if you're more on the left politically? The MLB now has to fight a class action lawsuit from players who say they aren't getting minimum wage instead of being able to get a motion to dismiss.

Doesn't seem like the kind of fuel for resurrecting the bad days of "Freedom of Contract," but I might lack vision.

Look at the court's composition and take a wild guess at the outcome here.

Flip Yr Wig
Feb 21, 2007

Oh please do go on
Fun Shoe

Eric Cantonese posted:

We're assuming that it's going to go all the way through to a verdict or some other appealable court decision (instead of getting settled out of court) and then it will make its way up the appeal chain to a point where the Supreme Court gets another bite at it that it wants to take. The Supreme Court denied cert and did not want to hear the arguments over the motion to dismiss.

I guess there is a danger, but there seem to be so many other cases better suited for resurrecting Lochner as soon as possible. Any litigation dealing with the California's new independent contractor law, for example.

That's on me for completely glossing over the story and thinking they granted cert to hear an appeal.

Flip Yr Wig
Feb 21, 2007

Oh please do go on
Fun Shoe

Petr posted:

yeah, this is gonna end up being a net positive for him.

https://twitter.com/jeffzeleny/status/1313208561384804352

This isn't playing well for him politically. COVID is his biggest liability and this is only reinforcing the image that he is a selfish lunatic who is making everyone sick. Like with everything in the Trump era, he is reinforcing the narrative that his base believes and alienating everyone else.

Of course, as we all know, his actual re-election strategy is to bring things close enough that he can claim legitimacy in a coup. So I'm sure that his erratic behavior is really going to convince the military to back him come this winter.

Flip Yr Wig
Feb 21, 2007

Oh please do go on
Fun Shoe

TwoQuestions posted:

This actually is going to be good for him. He's not going to win a standard election, he needs 30some percent of people to live in a completely different reality where he won, and so long as at least 5 SCOTUS Justices are in Trumpland, he's got it.

Also he has nothing to lose infecting others, best case scenario for him is Biden catches it.

Sure, this is his plan, but how exactly does having a deadly and highly infectious illness that is being spread through the party elite while acting out a manic episode in front of the country help him pull off a coup?

Flip Yr Wig
Feb 21, 2007

Oh please do go on
Fun Shoe
I see we've entered the "I'm a literal demigod" phase of this regime.

Flip Yr Wig
Feb 21, 2007

Oh please do go on
Fun Shoe

Haystack posted:

The fun bit is that if he crashes, Trump will default to blaming his doctors for everything.

Doctors' Plot but stupider.

Hopefully both end in the same way!

Flip Yr Wig
Feb 21, 2007

Oh please do go on
Fun Shoe

berserker posted:

Trump has never rebounded in the polls, for anything. Nor has he lost polling #s, for any reason. His polls have stayed more or less constant from the beginning of his presidency until now. Nothing will make his supporters love him less, and nothing will make anyone else hate him any less. It is what it is.

Old people have been moving increasingly away from him over the year because his COVID policies materially affect them in a way that overcomes the symbolic victory he represents. This bullshit is likely to heighten that effect.

Flip Yr Wig
Feb 21, 2007

Oh please do go on
Fun Shoe

https://twitter.com/brenonade/status/1313256208363552769

Flip Yr Wig
Feb 21, 2007

Oh please do go on
Fun Shoe
The most sober way that I will state my feelings about this is that it is good for the country to see that Trump's behavior was dangerous to himself and others, rather than strong.

Klaus88 posted:

Civil unrest brought on by Dear Leaders demise will probably be indiscriminate in its targets.

I mean, they'll WANT to only kill people of color, QUILTBAGs and card carrying ACLU members, but its never as neat as that.

I get this, but that is also what they plan to do if he loses the election.

Edit: Upon re-reading that post, that's a pretty hosed up way to state your concern about mass political murder.

Flip Yr Wig fucked around with this message at 01:00 on Oct 6, 2020

Flip Yr Wig
Feb 21, 2007

Oh please do go on
Fun Shoe

It is very important that America see exactly how wrong Trump was about this.

Flip Yr Wig
Feb 21, 2007

Oh please do go on
Fun Shoe

Mr Ice Cream Glove posted:

Oh yesssss

https://twitter.com/MrAndyNgo/status/1313245650797043712?s=20

that is one scary antifi super soldier mayor

FYI, that account is a fascist who doxes anti fascists.

twice burned ice posted:

They're well aware and mocking him for being scared of a mayor who will crack down on Ngo's ilk.

Fair enough.

Flip Yr Wig fucked around with this message at 03:00 on Oct 6, 2020

Flip Yr Wig
Feb 21, 2007

Oh please do go on
Fun Shoe

The people that Trump needs to back him if he disputes the election.

Flip Yr Wig
Feb 21, 2007

Oh please do go on
Fun Shoe
Even the demographic core of the Republican party, non-degreed white business owners, need the stimulus to keep the lights on.

Flip Yr Wig
Feb 21, 2007

Oh please do go on
Fun Shoe
What the hell is the donor class going to do about this? This may be the moment where the capitalists realize that they don't have the keys to the asylum anymore.

Flip Yr Wig
Feb 21, 2007

Oh please do go on
Fun Shoe

FlamingLiberal posted:

I really think those stories about the Trump campaign being out of money are true

They seem to be retreating on ads in places like Ohio where Trump is not a sure winner

Starting to think there are serious downsides to having a pack of grifters manage hundreds of millions of dollars.

Flip Yr Wig
Feb 21, 2007

Oh please do go on
Fun Shoe

This move makes perfect sense from McConnell's perspective. The White House is a lost cause so you might as well get a start on sabotaging the Biden administration. It still doesn't make sense from Trump's perspective, so I'm curious to what extent this is pure dex and to what extent this is him listening to advice that's against his own interest.

Flip Yr Wig
Feb 21, 2007

Oh please do go on
Fun Shoe

BigglesSWE posted:

I’m ready to believe this. Then they announced he had it the day after, hoping that Biden would soon follow suit. If Biden turned out positive immediately after the debate, the Trump campaign would accuse him of spreading it to Trump.

While Trump is obviously cynical and depraved enough to do this, he doesn't have the foresight to think a plan like that through.

Flip Yr Wig
Feb 21, 2007

Oh please do go on
Fun Shoe

Kalit posted:

He probably knows that a non-Fox News source will draw more people away from Biden to watch him. It's all about being able to brag about ratings!

I have no doubt that more people will tune in to see Trump baying at the moon, which Trump will count as a win. It will also hurt him even more.

Flip Yr Wig
Feb 21, 2007

Oh please do go on
Fun Shoe

Laughing Zealot posted:

How come Ted Cruz isn't in person at the hearing?

I'm going to take it as evidence that he is more cynical than a true believer when it comes to COVID denialism.

Flip Yr Wig
Feb 21, 2007

Oh please do go on
Fun Shoe

Alien Arcana posted:

IIRC some of them were "boogaloo" types, who might be reasonably described as anarchists -- though not of the leftist flavor.
The BLM/Antifa claims are still 100% horseshit, of course.

Non-left wing anarchist do not exist. Anyone who claims to be a right wing anarchist is just stealing the word to muddy the waters. These people are fascists, but some of them reject the legitimacy of the current government in favor of some flavor of explicitly racist state.

Flip Yr Wig
Feb 21, 2007

Oh please do go on
Fun Shoe

Djarum posted:

https://twitter.com/kanyewest/status/1315766834046541825?s=20

I literally sat dumbfounded for about 5 minutes after watching whatever this is...

Has he come out as a Q guy yet, or does the fact that he's running for President mean he can't join the Trump cult?

Flip Yr Wig
Feb 21, 2007

Oh please do go on
Fun Shoe

Antifa Turkeesian posted:

Trump's relationship to the party seems weird to me. Why should republicans be afraid of going against him now? McConnell in particular seem to be broadcasting their contempt for him pretty openly with the refusal to vote on another covid relief bill. Is there still fear that they'll be abandoned by the base for turning on Trump, even though he's a pretty obvious loser by this point?

I have to imagine the base will damnatio memoriae him if he loses, as conservatives especially seem to hate a loser.

I don't get this. His base literally sees him as a demigod. People seem to be basing this idea from the lukewarm GOP repudiation of W in 2008-2009. Bush's approval ratings got far lower among Republicans than we've ever seen with Trump.

The Cult of Trump is a firmly entrenched feature of Republican politics, even if Trump is out of office, probably even after Trump dies.

Flip Yr Wig
Feb 21, 2007

Oh please do go on
Fun Shoe

Dick Trauma posted:

This is a reminder that although the election is almost here, in 2016 the Comey letter didn't drop until October 28th. I expect the GOP is desperate to unleash something even more dramatic, no matter if it's 100% fiction.

They don't have the impulse control to wait that long. If they had something, they would have dropped it by now.

Edit:
And even if they are thinking about this rationally, I don't think that waiting until the last possible minute is a good idea with the massive deficit that Trump is sitting at.

Flip Yr Wig fucked around with this message at 15:30 on Oct 16, 2020

Flip Yr Wig
Feb 21, 2007

Oh please do go on
Fun Shoe

TulliusCicero posted:

1 BILLION DOLLARS?! :allbuttons:

this loving clown is on the hook for that much?

How do you even do that? How do you spend yourself into debt of 1 billion dollars, when you have a loving company that ostensibly takes in some form of profit? What the actual gently caress is he spending it all on?

He might be the single worst person with finances in history, on top being the single most worthless human being in history

Yeah, that's the type of debt normally associated with waging continent-wide wars against the King of France.

Flip Yr Wig
Feb 21, 2007

Oh please do go on
Fun Shoe

BougieBitch posted:

So like, do we think this could get him charged with libel or whatever? Is Hunter Biden enough of a public figure that those protections are waived, or does the fact that raising him to public figure status was done almost entirely by the same people help get around that? Seems like a pretty hefty allegation to get away with making, and he's saying it in a news interview, not the halls of Congress or whatever so it seems doubtful he could get away with the usual excuse.

Whether or not it's actionable, it's not a very good political strategy to even acknowledge and defend yourself against claims like that. You don't want to amplify their lies. If the Trump campaign decides to go all-in with "Hunter is a pedo," the correct response would be to say "look at what desperate, evil liars these people are," not "no, my son is not a pedophile."

Flip Yr Wig
Feb 21, 2007

Oh please do go on
Fun Shoe

BougieBitch posted:

To be clear, a court case would obviously not happen in the next two weeks, I'm just talking about the general fallout from all these bullshit allegations, both by officials and the lovely papers. It's obviously a bad strategy to say "I will sue you for accusing me of beating my wife", but if the Hulk Hogan poo poo worked out the way it did it would be hilarious turnabout if trying to do the same thing to Hunter ended up being the thing that got the NY Post or some rear end in a top hat reactionary to declare bankruptcy

Yeah, but you also don't want to be the sitting president while your son is arguing in court that he is not a pedophile.

Flip Yr Wig
Feb 21, 2007

Oh please do go on
Fun Shoe

BougieBitch posted:

On some level it just feels like the current Republican party is so unhinged that poo poo like this is going to happen regardless, like they'll just form "The Committee on Investigating Human Trafficking" as a SuperPAC and then blast this poo poo constantly to the insane Qultists. If there's no monetary consequence, what is actually going to stop them? If no one is held accountable for saying this poo poo, we are just going to get more stochastic violence like the Michigan crazies, and I think Joe would rather deal with the political fallout than deal with losing another son to suicide or murder

Edit: In this particular case there are probably other crimes that can be investigated anyway, but it seems like in general we are far past the event horizon on "you don't want people repeating bad poo poo about you, even if it clearly insane", and we have been since the birther poo poo or probably earlier than that, so what is the solution to this problem of cold civil war if it isn't cutting the funding out from under them?

Well, whatever the solution to deranged Republican conspiracy theories is, I doubt that it's private civil litigation. These people have very deep pockets.

Flip Yr Wig
Feb 21, 2007

Oh please do go on
Fun Shoe

FlamingLiberal posted:

It's pretty clear that they want this to be Anthony Weiner's laptop when it's obviously not.

And yes if the FBI already looked into this, and there was actual criminal content on the laptop, they would have made arrests, or at the very least we would have heard about it

Obviously, Hunter Biden has already been executed at GTMO. Sadly, his clone will also have to be punished for the original's crimes.

Flip Yr Wig
Feb 21, 2007

Oh please do go on
Fun Shoe

mdemone posted:

Midichlorians are like a measurement, they're parasites on Force users, not the origin of the Force itself.

....Trap sprung, damnit

It sucks that I actually find that interesting.

Flip Yr Wig
Feb 21, 2007

Oh please do go on
Fun Shoe

Zore posted:

Like who the gently caress gets fooled by Borat especially? It was a cultural phenomenon and is still a widely referenced meme.

Just the absolute barest second of research will have it pop up even if you somehow missed everything else.

https://twitter.com/kept_simple/status/1318964564969594881

Someone who is too old to know about Borat whose PR is being managed by someone who is too young.

Flip Yr Wig
Feb 21, 2007

Oh please do go on
Fun Shoe

Sure, totally.

I'm not sure who this would have been from, but Iran makes maybe the least sense and is the most convenient culprit for the White House.

Flip Yr Wig
Feb 21, 2007

Oh please do go on
Fun Shoe

TulliusCicero posted:

Uhhh, isn't this a violation of CBS broadcasting rights? They don't own this footage, CBS can sur his dumbass hard

Copyright Law is one of the only things our corporate overlords respect too

The White House made their own recording of the interview. I don't know if there's some type of exclusive license to publicize the interview, but I'm pretty sure CBS just has the copyright on their own footage.

Flip Yr Wig
Feb 21, 2007

Oh please do go on
Fun Shoe

Rea posted:

https://twitter.com/SouthwestAir/status/1319292261599903746

Welp, guess airlines are getting real desperate now.

I'm surprised they're even selling enough seats that they could use the capacity.

Murgos posted:

Get the Trump autocrat poo poo out of your head. The real government has both majority and minority party representation. Merely having republicans on the committee isn't the travesty you seem to think it is.

What about the Republican party makes you think they have any intention other than destroying democracy?

Flip Yr Wig fucked around with this message at 18:11 on Oct 22, 2020

Flip Yr Wig
Feb 21, 2007

Oh please do go on
Fun Shoe
I'll be less worried that my friends will be blackbagged for organizing if Biden wins. I mean, I'm still worried about getting beaten and teargassed in the streets, and, well, let's face it, maybe shot at by CHUDs or illegally arrested for a few days by the local PD or getting prosecuted under trumped up conspiracy to riot charges. But getting outright permanently disappeared by DHS seems like more of a Trump Part 2 danger than a Biden danger.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Flip Yr Wig
Feb 21, 2007

Oh please do go on
Fun Shoe

dwarf74 posted:

At least here in Illinois, nothing went particularly well apart from Biden and Durbin.

IL-13, which was considered 'toss-up' was a complete bloodbath. The graduated tax amendment wasn't even close. Some other House Dems are in serious danger and/or losing. And some Judge got recalled but honestly I still have no idea what the point of that was.

This and Prop 22 are the most disturbing news of the election to me. Solid blue states cannot get the most basic protections in place. It feels like bourgeois false consciousness has thoroughly poisoned the rapidly-proletarianized "middle" class to the point where they won't even vote to tax their betters. We're voting to keep insane flat tax schemes grinding down workers so we have the illusion of lower prices.