Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008
https://twitter.com/maggieNYT/status/1312138498523033602?s=20

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008

Glumwheels posted:

Boris went in for “tests” too, loving liars.

Testing their ventilators maybe

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008

ImpAtom posted:

He's remaining a few days due to doctor's advice.

I'll note I still don't buy he's going to karma-die but he's not just in and out.

https://www.bbc.com/news/uk-52177125

quote:

He was taken to a London hospital on Sunday evening with "persistent symptoms" - including a temperature.

It is said to be a "precautionary step" taken on the advice of his doctor.

The prime minister remains in charge of the government, but the foreign secretary is expected to chair a coronavirus meeting on Monday morning.

Mr Johnson, 55, spent the night in hospital and is having what has been described as a series of "routine tests".

Just for tests!

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008

TGLT posted:

Huh. This might be legitimately the last time Trump leaves the White House and it'd be because he got hosed by his own hubris.

Look even if it turns out God is real I'm still gonna masturbate

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008

punishedkissinger posted:

EVERYONE GIVE RONI-CHAN YOUR ENERGY

༼ つ ◕_◕ ༽つ RONI-CHAN TAKE MY ENERGY ༼ つ ◕_◕ ༽つ

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008

What if you just point out the world would be a much better place?

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008

Beast Pussy posted:

Idea stolen shamelessly from someone in this thread.

i loving love this meme lmfao

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008

This is why prosecutors are also cops, all equally bad, cops do the brutality, prosecutors cover it up

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008

Mr Interweb posted:

trump only spoke for literally 10 seconds and then stopped

very bad sign

He didn't sound that bad though tbh

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008

Crunch Buttsteak posted:

I've tempered my expectations about this election since I got incredibly blindsided by the 2016 election. I don't want to go through the psychic damage of being cocky about an assured victory, only for the worst case scenario to happen. It's important to keep grounded and realistic.

But, like. This actually is devastating to the Trump campaign, right? Not just something he can easily wriggle out of?

His campaign was already in trouble, he essentially needed something to shake up the race. I couldn't tell you if thisll be good or bad for Trump, but it's a big event so I kind of feel like on the whole it's better for him that he's got a chance of something huge happening

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008

Groovelord Neato posted:

There's absolutely positively no way this is good for Trump.

Americans are loving stupid and some people will absolutely vote for him out of pity, I think it's unlikely to be enough to matter but if I was Biden I would be hoping for nothing to happen for the next month instead of crazy poo poo

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008

Groovelord Neato posted:

That only works if the bad thing isn't comeuppance.

I'm happy to admit my thinking is probably in large part due to 2016 ptsd but I still feel like being certain about knowing how things will shake out is really arrogant

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008

KingNastidon posted:

But there is almost certainly no harm given the president is almost certainly receiving the best possible care

This is ultimately an inconsequential mistake by the WH doctor

Which one is it lol

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008

KingNastidon posted:

Thanks for being disingenuous as always, Lemming. by leaving off "or press person" from my quote. The general public doesn't care if it's a monoclonal vs. polyclonal antibody. Don't selectively use libtard gotchas when it helps you. The NBC News headline is click bait to make it seem as if there were shenanigans when there weren't. You should want mainstream media to be responsible no matter the subject (Bernie!)

I'm sorry highlighting two parts of a single post of yours made you look like such a dumbass

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008
https://twitter.com/IlhanMN/status/1313574311098281985?s=20

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008

We are closing the barn door! We're so responsible!!!!

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008

How are u posted:

This is why I'm not -super- worried (a little bit worried, but not super) about a 6-3 court dashing all climate change hopes for the next 30 years. Millenials and Gen Z, once we hold the levers of power, are simply not going to lay down in the street to die merely because some group of fuckers in robes says it's not allowed.

If it comes down to The Supreme Court as an institution vs massive, generational change then I do not see the Court coming out on top.

I'm not too worried about that either but it's because by then it'll be way, way, way too late

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008

GreyjoyBastard posted:

it was very exciting news

Didn't he already get it during his covid wedding

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008

Uhhhh lmao what the gently caress this is nuts

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008

Trump is an incredibly effective terrorist

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008

Aineris posted:

You're completely incapable of critical thinking.

The point of the government is to protect its citizens. Now, obviously our path to citizenship to foreigners is loving insane and could use an overhaul, but nevertheless the USA owes diddly squat to non-citizens. Obviously you are not in the tech industry, but basically a lucrative career path for American citizens has been undermined by H-1B Visa abuse. The entire loving point of the visa employment system is to let foreign works in the country to do jobs where there aren't enough skilled workers in America to do them. It turns out that there are in fact enough tech workers in America to do the jobs, but there are consulting firms that exclusively hire foreign workers and undercut the American workforce in this industry.

I realize that all of you idiots have your head up your liberal asses so far that you can't see the world around you, but these are the facts on the ground.

American isn't about being a perfect free-market capitalist system. Only libertarian morons believe that poo poo. Actually, America is all about protecting the rights of American citizens. So importing cheap foreign labor that undercuts our own loving people is a huge problem, and it just so happens that the Trump administration, loving horrible as they are, are the only ones that are trying to actually do anything to combat the problem.

Again, the rest of you idiots are completely ignoring that the entire loving goddamn point of a debate form is to have people with different points of view that discuss these things. I'm really pissed off at how you run off everyone that thinks differently.

Either rename this poo poo "Liberal Echo Chamber" or loving ban me. This poo poo is so loving dumb.

This'll be true as soon as we stop murdering and pillaging and overthrowing all of their governments and otherwise loving with everyone else on the planet

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008

Xombie posted:

Trump has literally never been self-deprecating, ever, in his entire life.

Self-depreciating maybe

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008

evilweasel posted:

because a town hall format is likely to make trump look even worse than the first debate did, and they want to make sure it happens

the third debate they could probably take or leave

Every debate back to 2016 has been bad for Trump, and the closer it is to the day of the election the more it matters. Pushing back the last debate might be the most valuable part

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008

Rea posted:

I'm confused, how is this saying "Trump's hosed"?

Trying to sabotage the economy so a Republican wins in 4 years

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008
The current primary process is kept the way it is because it benefits the establishment picking their candidate, there's literally no other factor that's relevant

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008

Xombie posted:

That wasn't a question I was asked, though? I never disagreed that the primary order can be switched. The goalposts I am kicking through here are that the southern states should have less (or no) say in the democratic primary. Claiming that southern dems have too much power is literally stating that black democrats have too much power. There is no other way to spin it. That's who is voting in the southern dem primaries. Biden didn't win Iowa or New Hampshire.

The problem is some people having more power than others, everyone should have the same amount of power, this is literally the same problem with the general election, it's not somehow good just because it's in a primary

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008

Xombie posted:

There's no way to reform this schedule in a way that's beneficial for outsider candidates, though. This is a problem that, at its source, is because the primaries are staggered. The primaries are staggered so that the candidates can campaign. If you have all the primaries at once, the winner would just be, 100% of the time, the candidate that has the money to campaign in the most states at once. It would make it even less competitive.

No, the primaries are staggered as an anachronistic quirk of the history of the parties. That's one potential benefit, but at the end of the day it's obviously a deeply undemocratic process and making it more democratic would be overall good.

This cycle also made it clear that grassroots donations were a far more effective funding mechanism for the primary, and Bernie raised the most money through the least corrupt methods, so I fail to see how the funding argument isn't another point in the favor of reform that would make the system more democratic

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008

Data Graham posted:

PG&E is actually doing rolling blackouts to try to control the wildfires.

Which are of course a thing again because they will be from now on.

It's absurdly loving psycho that after everything has happened the Democrats haven't taken the extremely easy and obvious win of taking over PG&E holy gently caress how could they not do that one thing???? They somehow got them to plead guilty in court for the deaths of all those people!! I didn't even know that could happen but they can still do anything they want WHAT THE UFCK

Edit: IT"S A SLAM DUNK THE COMPANY IS LITERALLY SOMEHOW A CONVICTED MURDERER AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008

Yeowch!!! My Balls!!! posted:

it's almost like they're ideologically opposed to even reducing the harm from climate change, op

Yeah I know but I still need to get it out of my system every so often and "company literally pleads guilty to killing almost a hundred people, somehow, that's a thing? what?, and even that's not enough for Democrats to do anything" is crazy enough that it pushes me over my limit. Like I spent most of my life believing in the propaganda so I've still got that lingering lib brain that thinks things are reasonable in some way

Kind of like how every so often I still go "what the gently caress, Donald Trump is president"

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008

He's been angry with Fox recently for not licking his boots enthusiastically enough

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008

Have the polls not already been that

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008

sexpig by night posted:

Like, I'm not here to pretend Blitzer is a journalist worthy of any kind of respect but yea pretending him going 'right but why not just pass a clean check bill like Trump keeps shouting about, since people do need money now' is some kind of harassment is absolute insanity.

Unless I missed a recent vote, in which case I'm a big dumb wrong idiot, but the house has not passed a clean 'give everyone money now' bill in any form.

To be fair to the Democrats this would absolutely be a pre-compromise that I think is generally bad for them to do. If Republicans are serious about it they could put forward that bill and I'd criticize the Democrats for not agreeing to it, but it's pretty clear they aren't so I don't see what this would accomplish

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008

sexpig by night posted:

I don't care about 'surrender' when it's a simple issue of 'pass a loving bill saying everyone gets some more checks you dumb piece of poo poo', you cannot make me care about 'surrender' when the alternative is 'nobody gets the money they need to survive well'.

But there's literally no way the Republicans have any interest in actually doing that? I agree that her messaging is dogshit because she's not making it clear what's actually going on, but the Republicans have never and will never agree to that so it's kind of false framing to suggest that this is just Democratic intransigence

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008
Unless I've missed something huge, there is no clean stimulus check bill on the table, it's just one of Trump's random flails that he got spooked into making after he announced there would be no deal at all randomly on twitter. It's not like Democrats are refusing to do something, Pelosi just flubbed a really easy question about something that the Republicans would already never agree to in the first place

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008
Unironically the Republican strategy if Biden wins is to make sure no additional aid at all happens under any circumstances and pin the economic pain on the Democrats, and it's not clear to me if it's more likely the Democrats would be able to overcome their bullshit if new checks go out or not. I'd be willing to believe that the Republicans would be canny enough to cynically let the minimum amount of aid go out, but it would need to be hitting people's bank accounts like... already, if they were smart enough to do that, so I don't think they'd agree to one at this point. Lie about it maybe.

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008

Captain Oblivious posted:

Why are we seriously debating the merits of a hypothetical check and/or stimulus bill when the turtle has made it abundantly clear he won’t permit either of those things.

Is the thread being invaded by people who woke up from a week long coma or something

Pelosi’s answer is meaningless outside of being comically bad messaging. There is no deal to take. There never was.

I think people are confused about a clean check bill being on the table specifically because of how hilariously bad Pelosi flubbed that interview

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008

Aineris posted:

Yep. They choose not to be counted, when they are easily countable, because they do not give a poo poo. The kind of people that are turned away from homeless shelters are those that can't do the minimum amount of work to participate in society, and so they don't deserve to be represented. Remember, these people aren't participating in society in any capacity. They're not employed, they're not paying taxes, they're not voting, they're not doing anything productive with their lives whatsoever. They can do better, but they choose not to.

For the purposes of government representation, it's important to count people that want government representation. If they don't want to be represented, then who the hell cares?

This is the guy who all the Republicans are appealing to by being as cruel as possible BTW

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008

fool of sound posted:

Hey when people make lovely posts, and you don't want to bother with trying to engage with them, report them. The last thing any thread needs is a page of people telling someone "gently caress off" even when their posts are awful, especially hours after the fact.

Why report them when a mod is replying to them and very obviously not taking any action

Edit: vvvvvvvv ok but again what was reporting supposed to be doing, considering that it would have resulted in no mod action being taken, as evidenced by your being aware of the posts and taking no mod actions

Lemming fucked around with this message at 04:48 on Oct 14, 2020

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008

fool of sound posted:

Bad faith is discerned by engaging. You can't just divine it based on how vehemently you disagree with the idea. And pretending that "the homeless are just lazy" is a fascist idea is nonsense. It's a straightforward and lovely justification for gently caress-you-got-mine, and its something a whole lot of people who grew up middle class believe and have to be taught otherwise. People aren't born with good politics. How many people were high school or college libertarians? Unethical opinions are frequently just unexamined; held because of ignorance, not malice. That's why I gave him a chance to walk it back and learn otherwise. He didn't take it.

There's a button where you can see what people have been probated for and he was previously probated for saying that people with substance abuse issues should kill themselves, that the US has no responsibility whatsoever towards non-citizens, and that minorities only die from covid more often because they protested being killed by the police

How many chances are we talking about here

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008

ILL Machina posted:

As a follow-up, I'm just looking for more ways to frame the counterargument that homelessness is a necessary threat to encourage people to work for housing. I had a really disconcerting conversion with my dad about how housing should be considered a human right and he clapped bank with the "if people are given everything they need for a minimal subsistence, they won't feel the need to earn it or work for more."

My takes are the standard "people relying on welfare aren't lazy and don't live complacent casual lives on the govt dime" down to the philosophical "that goes against the capitalist philosophy of people always wanting more than they have". I'm just looking for any other solid takes, with referencable facts to go with em ideally. He's not without reason, it just seems like a pervasive argument, particularly as a tenant of the anti welfare/entitlement Republican ideology. I'm seeing in the shadow of his ideas in that earlier shitpost.

You can't make people give a poo poo about other people, but you could point out that it's cheaper to take care of them proactively than deal with them reactively; it's cheaper to house them, feed them, help them get jobs, etc, than it is to have cops harass them, put them in jail, have them show up in the emergency room, etc. https://www.vox.com/2014/5/30/5764096/homeless-shelter-housing-help-solutions