Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Murgos
Oct 21, 2010

EngineerJoe posted:

If trump is incapacitated wouldn't we know because Pence would be standing in as President?

There is a wide degree of latitude on the 25th amendment. Like, define incapacitated? Just sleeping obviously doesn't count. So if Trump is occasionally lucid they could delay making that transition pretty much indefinitely.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Murgos
Oct 21, 2010

EngineerJoe posted:

If trump keels over my money is on Ivanka taking his place. Yah, it's stupid but so is everything else.

If Trump dies this afternoon the RNC convenes and picks a new candidate. I suppose they could pick Ivanka but that seems unlikely. It's like, 90%, gotta be Pence but it might not be.

Murgos
Oct 21, 2010

Shitshow posted:

If Trump is, for example, placed in a medically-induced coma, wouldn't they have to invoke the 25th Amendment for national security reasons? Can the Vice President act as the Commander in Chief on a temporary basis? I honestly don't know...

There are some good podcasts on how it works.

Essentially it's a pretty straight forward process. Either the President tells his cabinet and the VP, "I'm going to be out for a bit, he's in charge" or the VP goes to the cabinet and says, "The president is out, if you agree, I am in charge".

I don't think they have to agree immediately and also the president just has to say, "Okay, I'm back" and power reverts to him. There isn't a process to check if the president is actually competent other than the consensus of the cabinet and the VP and anything less than unanimous decisions go to the president.

Murgos
Oct 21, 2010

cr0y posted:

Shaky source but the chuds are talking about this

https://twitter.com/SVNewsAlerts/status/1312087153564844032?s=19

If he's sweaty and hacking up a lung this will be amazing.

Murgos
Oct 21, 2010
If enough R senators have the COVID to give the D's a temp majority the House needs to smash out an impeachment trial against Bill Barr ASAP.

Murgos
Oct 21, 2010

davecrazy posted:

It’s all fine until some hospital staffer decides the truth and the republic are more important then their job and leaks a photo of him in the ICU.

Until a nurse decides getting 10 grand for an untraceable photo is a good deal.

Murgos
Oct 21, 2010

The Dark Project posted:

Man, I wonder whoever patient zero was had any idea that what he kickstarted would end up potentially throttling the US president to death.

Crazy, crazy times.

You ladle out a bowl of bat soup a little before it's done and 7000 miles away and a year later the president of the US dies. That's some butterfly effect poo poo.

Murgos
Oct 21, 2010

Hellblazer187 posted:

I get that there's no spelled out procedure for it, but realistically if Trump dies Pence is the candidate. If he actually wins then GOP will still hold the Senate. Assume Dems hold the house, they'd confirm a GOP candidate for VP. The most I would ever expect of Dems here would be insisting on a guy who wears the decorum mask better. GOP would prob welcome that anyways to try to memory hole Trump.

But Pence isn't winning a national election so it's moot.

There really is a procedure for it. It's been spelled out in this thread several times. It's happened, people have died before elections, even presidential candidates. People have also died after elections and before taking office.

Prior to the election:

1. The political party (in this case RNC) convenes and selects a new candidate and his/her running mate. Probably Pence but doesn't have to be.
2. People vote, the ballots may say Trump/Pence or they may be updated to the new candidate. Either way your vote goes to the slate of electors represented by that choice.
3. The state certifies the result and sends the appropriate slate of electors.
4. The electors cast their vote for president, they know who that is.
5. That person is president.

After the election if Trump wins and then dies then Pence is the president and he selects a new VP.

That's it.

Murgos
Oct 21, 2010

ImpAtom posted:

I know it won't happen but if Trump's insistence in stealing a SC seat lead to both his death and it failing that would be something future history books would claim is something made up to discredit him because there is no way the universe is that pat

Hubris. Someone, either in this thread or one of the others discussing this made a mention about checking Olympus to see if the Greek gods were back.

This is really like the end of a Greek Tragedy where the protagonist gets hoisted on his own petard but instead of one protagonist it's the whole senior republican leadership.

Edit:

evilweasel posted:

they absolutely cannot gently caress the process up more by not boycotting, if by boycotting they can deny a quorum. they can always show up when republicans assemble one

I'm picturing one junior R and one junior D sitting in a committee chamber. The R gets up and calls the meeting to order. The D calls for a role call. They sit there for 20 minutes at the clerk calls the roll and waits for people who aren't there to answer. Finally, it completes, they enter a motion to resume tomorrow due to the lack of a quorum.

"See, ya tomorrow Todd?", "See ya tomorrow Bill"

And they both walk out of the room.

Murgos fucked around with this message at 20:28 on Oct 3, 2020

Murgos
Oct 21, 2010

Time to impeach Bill Barr.

Murgos
Oct 21, 2010

Young Freud posted:

This is pre-recorded. This looks like it's still in the White House.

It doesn't match the images of the suite at walter reed that the Post published this morning at all. Those all have wood paneling.

Murgos
Oct 21, 2010

Ok Comboomer posted:

But more importantly, Trumpism needs to lose and be rejected at the ballot box, not Deus Ex Machina’d out. I don’t want there to be a huge asterisk on this.

I don't know. Going out like a bitch to something you called your opponents hoax after ridiculing their reasonable safety precautions for months could snap the saveable members of the party out of their fog.

Reality intruding into your fantasy tends to make [sane] people reconsider their views. Being so wrong about something so important that it kills him should indicate that he could easily have been wrong about the other 1000 important things most of the population says he is wrong about.

Murgos
Oct 21, 2010

davecrazy posted:

He took off his coat and changed rooms to sign two blank pieces of paper 10 mins apart! He’s fine and doing the peoples business!

The joke is that signing blank pieces of paper in different rooms is what they have convinced Trump his job is. He just randomly wanders the white house and sits down, they slide a sharpie and a stack of papers over to him and he signs away. After about 45 minutes of that he goes back to the residence and turns on Fox news and starts tweeting.

Murgos
Oct 21, 2010

Sex Hobbit posted:

Define "roam around;" if he's got his whole own suite it hardly matters.

Who took the pictures?

Murgos
Oct 21, 2010

Charlie, buddy, trumps public appearance today put several peoples lives in danger. I know you ultra rights don't see 'drivers' and 'security' and 'nurses' as people but to play the game you have to pretend you do.

Murgos
Oct 21, 2010
Well, the Conway kid has tested positive. Poor kid.

Murgos
Oct 21, 2010

Nessus posted:

I don't get it. Who are they trying to impress with this entire song and dance? Or have they finally drunk their own sauce?

They've tied themselves to this narrative that the 'rona is a nothing, worse, a hoax. They can see the polling numbers as well as anyone else. Coming out now with, "Oh, ha, yeah we totally f'ed up that response thing and we did actually know better back in March" will seriously impact the entire republican party, not just voters but the few marginally sane people staff in the party as well.

They've built a house of lies and they have to live in it.

This is also why I can see Trump trying to muscle up, check himself out of the hospital and get on the campaign trail. It's pretty clear that if he's not president the legal scrutiny of him, his family, his businesses and their businesses is going to ramp up really quickly. His choices are either sit in the hospital for weeks and concede victory or go try and win.

Murgos
Oct 21, 2010

BigglesSWE posted:

Worth noting that Barr was appointed by Trump and has been notoriously corrupt. If he decides to open an investigation on Hunter Biden or something, I fully expect it to blow up in their faces. Some pearl-clutching think pieces aside, I doubt it’d fly.

We are still waiting on the Durham report (allegedly showing how the FBI cross-fire hurricane investigation was illegal or something). For a while it looked like it would drop in August to influence the election but now it looks like they are waiting until just before the election to release it.

I think this means that whatever it says isn't very serious, and will be seen as such after a short period of discussion. So as they need maximum confusion on election day they will drop it a day or two before without providing enough time for people to see through the bullshit.

Trump's plan for the 2020 election is maximum rat-fuckery and to leverage and abuse his office to steal a win.

Murgos
Oct 21, 2010

Old Kentucky Shark posted:

The main difference between now and 2016 is that virtually nothing has budged the polls all year: the 2016 polls bounced around like a rubber ball from Hillary +11 to Trump +1 to Hilary +7 to Hilary +2 the week before the election. Every scandal rocked the polls massively.

The polls this year have gently wavered between Biden +5 and Biden +8. The 538 average looks like 2 flat lines. Nothing Trump OR Biden has done has budged the needle more than a tiny bit.

If you look at the national polling trend lines as of the first of each month, it goes.

Biden +4
Biden +6
Biden +6
Biden +6
Biden +9
Biden +8
Biden +7
Biden +8

It's a pretty compelling, fairly low variance plot and the story it tells is that Biden is comfortably ahead, enough that MoE isn't really in play and that his lead has grown throughout the campaign season.

Murgos
Oct 21, 2010

nachos posted:

Shouldn’t we have heard something by now if they are planning on releasing trump today?

I think they've called the press pool to Walter Reed for a statement?

Murgos
Oct 21, 2010

Fritz the Horse posted:

Is it possible they soft 25th'd him? I mean, by the text of the amendment they're supposed to notify the President Pro Tempore of the Senate and the Speaker of the House but who knows.

For all we know, they put him on steroids and he started ranting about military strikes on China to punish them for getting him sick with the China flu, they freaked out, and took his phone and locked him in Walter Reed.

It's all very murky.

edit: when Trump tweets "I'm definitely still the President! I was never unable to discharge my duties as your favorite President! FAKE NEWS. I'm feeling great and will be back to work very soon thank you."

We'll know he definitely got 25th'd

Why 25th someone when he never actually did any work and all the people who actually make decisions are still doing the same old, same old? Donald has been shuffling through and signing random blank pages for years.

Murgos
Oct 21, 2010

Rip Testes posted:

It's like there is a Covid coup underway sidelining the ranks of the upper reaches of the US government. This has national security implications and it's amazing how much the GOP has left the US visibly exposed through their own reaction to the Covid threat.

That's a good take.

"The republican response to play down and ignore the coronavirus has left the United States National Security at risk by suddenly removing many of it's senior members from duty at the same time."

Murgos
Oct 21, 2010

Delthalaz posted:

Not to kinkshame, but has anyone explored whether the GOP has one of them “bugchasing” fetishes? It’s hard not to wonder it there’s something else going on with all of them gleefully testing positive and demanding their followers demanding they spread it around the country to each and every one of them

My, "Not a Death Cult" T-Shirt is raising a lot of questions already answered by my T-Shirt.

Murgos
Oct 21, 2010

QuoProQuid posted:

https://twitter.com/realDonaldTrump/status/1313186529058136070

If even an iota of the reporting on the president's condition is correct, this is stupid and reckless

"I got a unique treatment that literally no one else on earth can get. Y'all are a bunch of pussies."

Murgos
Oct 21, 2010

Madkal posted:

My wife is a nurse. She tells me there is a thing called AMA - against medical advice. Basically when a patient demands to be discharged despite not being in the best condition to be discharged. The hospital will advise the patient to stay for whatever reason but unless the patient is a danger to themselves or others there is nothing the hospital can do. Fortunately they have decided that a drugged up erratic Trump is only a danger to the country so what else can you do.

Trumps not really leaving the hospital. He's moving from one care facility to another. Him being in the white house is probably still as good or better medical treatment than what a random 74 year old obese white male would get at any hospital in the US. He just may need to take a helicopter ride if he needs imaging or something.

Murgos
Oct 21, 2010

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

I wouldn't bet money right now that he actually leaves Walter Reed today.

Oh, sure. I just mean that trump leaving walter reed isn't the same as leaving medical supervision.

Murgos
Oct 21, 2010
Have to share the headline:

Update: Contagious President Has Succeeded at Escaping HIs Captors Like a Zoo Animal - Below a picture of Trump: "If you see this man, lock your door and call the police."

https://slate.com/news-and-politics/2020/10/trump-covid-19-trying-discharge-self-from-hospital.html

Murgos
Oct 21, 2010

BigBallChunkyTime posted:

CNN reporting he's going to use a temporary downstairs office right next to an examination room.

Yeah, it’s all theater. At the WH or at WR either way he’s under 24 hour medical care. All this is just him trying to control the narrative rather than the doctors.

Murgos
Oct 21, 2010

BigglesSWE posted:

He has no idea who you are, dude.

Trump would throw Gaetz under a bus without a second thought.

Murgos
Oct 21, 2010

"President Trumps non-approach to the coronavirus has left the US exposed to a national security threat as most of the senior white house and pentagon staff are quarantined do to exposure from the virus", should be every headline around the world at the moment.

If this was 1983 Russians and Cubans would probably be parachuting into the mid-west about now.

edit: Broke brained fools should probably go watch Red Dawn, a documentary of disaster narrowly averted by the strength of our mid-western patriots.

Murgos fucked around with this message at 19:46 on Oct 6, 2020

Murgos
Oct 21, 2010

The governor of the state previously vowed to pardon them. Let's see how this goes.

Murgos
Oct 21, 2010

Cacator posted:

It reminds people that Covid exists.

Yeah, trumps message yesterday was clearly that COVID was over.

Murgos
Oct 21, 2010

Pick posted:

Psst.... ruudyyyy..... ruuuuuuudy.... 💀

I mean this could be that he has the 'rona or he's getting indicted. Either one works.

Murgos
Oct 21, 2010

evilweasel posted:

to be fair kudrow is well known for a near-magical ability to be wrong

if you want to know the weather a year from now, ask him and whatever he tells you will be wrong

also, the second circuit told trump to get hosed:

https://twitter.com/KlasfeldReports/status/1313844050269741056

So, does this mean Vance gets the documents now? Or is there another procedural hurdle?

Murgos
Oct 21, 2010

Eric Cantonese posted:

I am surprised they haven't exploited the Tara Reade accusations more. Like you said, there is a lot of stuff from the whole course of Biden's career that they could weaponize, but maybe no one in the Trump campaign wants to do the work of putting it all together.

You can be sure they dug into it. For them not to have followed up indicates that there is something there that's more embarrassing to them than it is to Biden.

Murgos
Oct 21, 2010

Did Trump test positive and go to the debate without telling anyone? It's so lovely a thing to do that it almost has to be true.

Murgos
Oct 21, 2010

Unfortunately, the remedy here is political. The judge will never refer charges against Barr & Co for submitting falsified documents.

Murgos
Oct 21, 2010

twice burned ice posted:

Their big story of election fraud is that some rear end in a top hat mail carrier wanted to get out of work early and dumped a bunch of mail, which happened to include GE ballots, in the garbage?

Good luck with that one.

In a predominantly Dem neighborhood apparently. So, yeah.

Murgos
Oct 21, 2010

No pink eye. 3/10

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Murgos
Oct 21, 2010
Well. You see, we're the minority so that means we should be in charge. Or something.