Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

PeterWeller
Apr 21, 2003

I told you that story so I could tell you this one.

First Concert: My dad took me to see Neil Young with Blind Melon and Midnight Oil as the openers. Neil was backed by Booker T. and the M.G.'s and they owned. Blind Melon was awful, but that's probably because Shannon Hoon was doped out of his mind. Midnight Oil absolutely killed.

First Concert on my Own: Pantera with White Zombie. My face has never recovered from the melting it received that night.

Best Concert: Pearl Jam at Safeco Field. PJ is an all time great live act and Safeco is not only a great ballpark but an excellent venue for shows.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PeterWeller
Apr 21, 2003

Marx Was A Lib posted:

If we're going to prosecute Trump for his crimes, then it sets a precedent to punish future Democrat administrations for their Doctors Without Borders hospital bombings and the like.

And this is a bad thing because?

PeterWeller
Apr 21, 2003

Killin_Like_Bronson posted:

Well evilweasel didn't post data, they eluded to it.

From a few pages back, and I don't mean to belittle you or your argument, but the word you're looking for here is "allude." Elude means to avoid or escape danger. Allude means to indirectly refer to something else.

PeterWeller
Apr 21, 2003

Killin_Like_Bronson posted:

Thanks, the proper use eluded me.

:hfive:

PeterWeller
Apr 21, 2003

Normy posted:

The senate term doesn't begin in January like president and congress?

Kelly is completing McCain's term.

PeterWeller
Apr 21, 2003

Pick posted:

There's no "strategy" and the NRA is not a "civil rights group". What happened is they were extremely, blatantly guilty of fraud, and when nonprofits commit fraud they can be subject to penalties including dissolution because they defrauded people who were trying to support a nonprofit agenda.

Pick, I think you'll find that the NRA is "the oldest civil rights organization in the nation." :v:

PeterWeller
Apr 21, 2003

Xand_Man posted:

"Uh, are we still talking about the stimulus, sir?"

"No, I don't think it's much of a stimulus, but you'd have to ask his wife."

PeterWeller
Apr 21, 2003

Jarmak posted:

These are generic objections to the idea algorithms are inherently unbiased, which I never put forward. "Written to be unbiased" is a statement of intended purpose not objective truth, and the profit motivation is meant to show lack of incentive to deviate from that purpose. The client industry's subjective bias in this particular circumstance is to have accurate information not to gate-keep (except in terms of risk). Taking on risky loans results in them losing money from defaults, and rejecting good loans results in them missing out on revenue. If anything, recent history has shown us that there's an institutional bias towards finding shady ways of approving loans that shouldn't be based on the objective credit criteria. Using risk of default for employment decisions is about ethical use of data not really its accuracy or bias for predicting what it says it does.

You haven't really put forth any specific criticism of the credit scoring process, you just seem to have seized on the fact the words "unbiased" and "algorithm" appeared close to each other in a sentence and jumped in to interrupt a prayer to the holy perfect algorithm from which all truth springs eternal. I wasn't making as general of a claim as you seem to be trying to rebut.

You wrote, "Credit scores based on algorithms that are written to objectively score how much of a risk of default you are to a perspective lender," man.

You put forth the idea that these algorithms could be objective, not that they could be written in such a way as to mitigate bias.

PeterWeller
Apr 21, 2003

Leon Trotsky 2012 posted:

A measure of how easily someone can pay you back is going to inherently discriminate against people with no money.

Yeah, I'm not debating that. I'm pointing out Jarmak's little rhetorical dodge.

PeterWeller
Apr 21, 2003

Xombie posted:

People who are perpetually bad with money are easy to sway into the belief that the problems in their lives are everything but themselves. I wonder what the statistics are with how many of them are involved in pyramid schemes.

Seems like it's less about being bad with money and more about not wanting to pay their taxes. These people aren't broke. They're selfish and entitled.

PeterWeller
Apr 21, 2003

Ratzap posted:

Altered Carbon is sci fi revolution - pretty gruesome though so not for the squeamish.

I wouldn't describe it this way. Maybe the followups get revolutionary, but Altered Carbon is just power fantasy with cyberpunk and noir window dressing. It's not even revolutionary in its central conceit since digital immortality has been a thing since at least Rudy Rucker's Software.

If you want some sci fi about revolution in a similar cyberpunk vein to Altered Carbon, try Bruce Sterling's Islands in the Net, Pat Cadigan's Synners, or Walter Jon Williams' Hardwired.

PeterWeller
Apr 21, 2003

Epicurius posted:

Pretty much. It was just his attempt to write a self consistent time loop. A lot of science fiction from that period, or at least some of the better science fiction from that time period, was the writer saying to the reader, "I made a clever puzzle for you and will solve it with a twist that will, in hindsight, make everything make sense."

Yeah, it's an enjoyable story with both a fun little temporal puzzle (a refinement of the time loop he created in "By His Bootstraps") and a neat existential dilemma. The protagonists knows exactly where they came from. There is no mystery to their origin. But that leads them to wonder where the rest of humanity (the titular "All You Zombies") comes from.

half cocaine posted:

I thought William Gibson was pretty accurate in his predictions about corporate hegemony.

Gibson, really all the cyberpunk authors, made some amazingly accurate predictions about our current dystopian world. But I think one of the most interesting things about Gibson in particular is that so many of his correct predictions are just incidental background details to stories about AI becoming self aware and casting themselves as Voodoo deities.

PeterWeller
Apr 21, 2003

uggy posted:

Is there anything I could read on that at all? Definitely agree and have read Gibson but I’d be curious if somebody has written more about it. I feel like a ton of comics that were near future also have stuff that feels eerily dead on

I don't know any specific texts on the topic off the top of my head. It's something Gibson himself has written about. You may want to check out his essay collection Distrust That Particular Flavor. One of his points that sticks with me is "the future is already here; it's just not evenly distributed."

Killer robot posted:

While to some extent that's true, a whole lot of the "predictive" element of classic cyberpunk fiction is equal parts "stuff that was already in place in the 1980s which most readers didn't really know/think about yet", "stuff that was so obviously on the horizon that you didn't need to read sci-fi to be aware of it", and "you need to plug a landline into your cybernetic implant and risk death by rogue computer program" level misfirings. There's some brilliant anticipation of current issues in there, but not that much more than there is in other sci-fi genres with a heavy social focus (which is most of them.)

Oh yeah definitely. The cyberpunks are no more prescient than other sci fi authors, but they appear to be so because they write about such a near future. My point is a lot of the prescient seeming stuff that cyberpunk gets praised for today is more setting dressing and incidental detail than central thematic elements. For example, [i]Neuromancer[/i[ doesn't really say anything about corporate domination. It's much more interested in exploring AI and questions of consciousness and identity.

I'd also add that some of the seemingly obvious social anxieties that the cyberpunks wrote about were also completely off-base. The idea that Japan would soon economically and culturally dominate American was widely held at the time, played a significant role in Gibson's first trilogy, and turned out to be a baseless anxiety.

davecrazy posted:

Everybody should read Joe Haldeman's The Forever War, since its the antithesis to all the take Starship Troopers literary believers.

War sucks, it dehumanizes and alienates the participants.

Using time dilation as an allegory for how soldiers can lose touch with their society while deployed is a brilliant conceit.

PeterWeller
Apr 21, 2003

Antifa Turkeesian posted:

The decline of American hegemony and a multipolar future has been a fixation for Americans since the 70s, though. It wasn't Japan, but Americans have been obsessed with the idea that they would be culturally dominated in the same way they culturally dominated the rest of the world after World War II, and in a very deep, pathological way, since well before the end of the Cold War.

Gonna put my response in the Politics and Science Fiction thread so this one can get back to its main topic (or a food derail).

PeterWeller
Apr 21, 2003

Josef bugman posted:

Glyph, the later quote could be very easily conflated with what VitalSigns is arguing against.

"VitalSigns didn't make bullshit up out of whole cloth; they just misrepresented your post" is not a good defense of VitalSigns' posting.

PeterWeller
Apr 21, 2003

Josef bugman posted:

"This looks like you are saying the thing they are arguing against" seems a decent point to make. I don't think I am defending anyone so much as going "if this is not your argument then perhaps make it clearer that it is not". Obviously it's not proof to prevent a hypothetical bad faith reading, but more just hoping that we can all be more exact when posting.

The bolting on of "it actually is a bad bill though" is not enough for some people within this thread, is that on them or you?

Ehh, I think it's a bad point because the two things don't resemble each other. VS mischaracterized GG's post. Your post made that abundantly clear by placing both statements side by side. Apologies if I came across as being hostile to you.

PeterWeller
Apr 21, 2003

VitalSigns posted:

I was being flip, my bad, but my original objection to the post, which I was trying to get at by asking what if she voted for Trump's tax cuts and abortion bans, etc. Is that how do you know she's only voting against a specific implementation of M4A that is bad, or that the implementation she's voting against is even bad at all?

You could take your rep's word for it, and go "well if they say it's bad, it's bad and it would be stupid to replace them with someone who will just do what I want". That's one way. But then you'd also have to say "well M4A is bad now" if they said that. So in that case there's no real difference between what the op said and my flippant summary of what the op said.

Or do you use your own judgment and if you disagree that the implementation is bad, or if you think bad implementation isn't the real reason they're voting against it (as opposed to say putting poison pills in the bill and using them as an excuse to vote against it like the CA Democratic Party did when they won full control of the government and were suddenly expected to pass Universal Healthcare bills that they'd been performatively voting for safe in the knowledge that Schwarzenegger would veto them), then you replace them with someone who will do what you want?

I never did get an answer to this, oddly.

My only point was pointing out the thing for which you already apologized.

E: further posts made the rest of this unnecessary.

PeterWeller fucked around with this message at 22:57 on Feb 16, 2021

PeterWeller
Apr 21, 2003

Ghost of RBG posted:

From your own link:

:confused:

.13 percent of a year over the course of 5 years is not a precipitous decline.

Do we need to have a derail to define "precipitous" now to follow our derail to define "controlled oppostion"?

PeterWeller
Apr 21, 2003

selec posted:

There’s a much more interesting conversation just under the surface here:

https://newrepublic.com/article/153870/inequality-death-america-life-expectancy-gap

The gerontocracy is self-perpetuating because rich people live longer.

This is much more interesting. Thanks!

PeterWeller
Apr 21, 2003

Ghost of RBG posted:

I would say that due to the sheer amount of money we are spending on healthcare and how much better the rest of the world is doing, ANY drop of US life expectancy is precipitous and should not be shrugged away.

Cool. That's not what precipitous means. I'd suggest that there are other options aside from hyperbole and shrugging away the issue.

PeterWeller
Apr 21, 2003

selec posted:

“Trump gave you more money” is all they have to say. No pinnochios detected.

Trump isn't running in '22. This is just gonna remind people that the R's stopped supporting any sort of stimulus the minute their guy was out.

PeterWeller
Apr 21, 2003

ScootsMcSkirt posted:

In what world did dems run on "defunding the police"?

They didn't, but boy did the Republicans act like they did. And the Republicans and their media enablers are really good at repeating something over and over again until people think it's true.

PeterWeller
Apr 21, 2003

Pick posted:

:woop: it is.

I still can't quite figure out why they even bothered to slow walk him. If I were him I would just be pissed off, and I got the job anyway?

I believe the quote is " :woop: there it is."

PeterWeller
Apr 21, 2003

Jaxyon posted:

He's the leading non-trump candidate for president in 2024.

He came in second in the meaningless CPAC straw poll.

PeterWeller
Apr 21, 2003

Kalit posted:

It's sad that humans still don't have enough Boat Knowledge to know how to not get stuck in a canal for weeks. This is ancient technology!!

Our how not to get stuck Boat Knowledge has not caught up with our how to make even bigger Boat Knowledge. It's always an arms race.

PeterWeller
Apr 21, 2003

DarkCrawler posted:

Jesus gently caress lol

https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/2021/mar/30/donald-trump-uses-new-website-rewrite-history-presidency

This loving guy. U.S. will never be able to live this poo poo down.

https://www.45office.com/info/share-your-thoughts

Y'all know what to do.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PeterWeller
Apr 21, 2003

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Tell me what was exaggerated.

The part where what drooling imbecile Chris Matthews said was "the narrative." His co-hosts laughed at him. Hayes immediately pushed back on it.