Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Everything Burrito
Jun 2, 2011

I Failed At Anime 2022

Hidden in plain sight, an age-old conflict rages on. Supernatural monsters known as "Curses" terrorize humanity from the shadows, and powerful humans known as "Jujutsu" sorcerers use mystical arts to exterminate them. When high school student Yuuji Itadori finds a dried-up finger of the legendary Curse Sukuna Ryoumen, he suddenly finds himself joining this bloody conflict...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v8bZVdTgXoY

No manga spoilers this is for the anime only -- hop over to the JJK Manga Thread to discuss the manga!

Watch it on CR: https://www.crunchyroll.com/jujutsu-kaisen

Everything Burrito fucked around with this message at 14:59 on Mar 27, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cephas
May 11, 2009

Humanity's real enemy is me!
Hya hya foowah!

quote:

Yūji Itadori is an unnaturally fit high school student living in Sendai with his grandfather. He regularly avoids the track team due to his aversion to athletics, despite his innate talent for the sport. Instead, he chooses to join the Occult Research Club, where he is able to relax and hang out with his seniors

Is this like the mirror world version of Mob Psycho 100? If Yuji and Mob touch will they mutually annihilate?

Everything Burrito
Jun 2, 2011

I Failed At Anime 2022
First episode is up! It was very fun, love the little visual gags happening while other stuff is going on :3

Kingtheninja
Jul 29, 2004

"You're the best looking guy here."
I see other threads talking about this series, but I'm reading a bunch of stuff atm. Always happy to try being anime only for a series though!

Everything Burrito
Jun 2, 2011

I Failed At Anime 2022
Manga discussion can go in the shonen thread I guess but if anyone does want to jump on it SJ has the first 7 chapters up for free right now
https://twitter.com/shonenjump/status/1312091873994067969?s=20

OnimaruXLR
Sep 15, 2007
Lurklurklurklurklurk
What a gorgeous first episode

How is the batting average for shows that CR has a seat on the production committee for? I remember complaints about Tower of God, but God of High School and this both looked really really good. In/Spectre was okay, for a talking heads show, I guess.

basically I'm curious about how it hashes on average VS stuff Netflix has a similar role for

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream

OnimaruXLR posted:

How is the batting average for shows that CR has a seat on the production committee for? I remember complaints about Tower of God, but God of High School and this both looked really really good. In/Spectre was okay, for a talking heads show, I guess.

basically I'm curious about how it hashes on average VS stuff Netflix has a similar role for
I dunno about the CR question but this is studio MAPPA so the real question is if it can keep the quality up for the whole run. Dororo had some really rough spots but was gorgeous a lot too. There's some good talent on the staff of the Jujutsu Kaisen anime whose names I can't recall right now because I'm tired- I believe there's a real good Korean animator on this that worked on God of Highschool.

Everything Burrito
Jun 2, 2011

I Failed At Anime 2022
I feel like you may also run into webtoon adaptions being kind of a different animal than an adaption for a pretty popular Shonen Jump title. I would expect this to compare more to something like Demon Slayer tbh and I hope it does as well as that did. Different studio of course so that could be a factor as well.

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

Fabricated posted:

I dunno about the CR question but this is studio MAPPA so the real question is if it can keep the quality up for the whole run. Dororo had some really rough spots but was gorgeous a lot too. There's some good talent on the staff of the Jujutsu Kaisen anime whose names I can't recall right now because I'm tired- I believe there's a real good Korean animator on this that worked on God of Highschool.

It's probably because I haven't been paying attention, but I'm starting to notice Mappa more and more before Jujustu it was Dorohedoro, then Attack on Titan Final Season, then God of Highschool, then I had a friend convince me to watch Hajime no Ippo and surprise Mappa was involved in that too!

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

GOOD EP1
I have high hopes.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you
Ryomen Sukuna reminded me of something, and I realized that he was a boss in Nioh 2. Apparently his name means Double faced Spectre.

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

Extremely good start, looking forward to more.

Buzzsaw Roomba
Feb 14, 2012

Christ, what an asshole.
wow! I was really impressed by the comedic moments in this ep. Great timing and visual gags, really elevates the source material.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
my main hope is that the action is a lot easier to follow than it sometimes is in the manga

Everything Burrito
Jun 2, 2011

I Failed At Anime 2022

Jose posted:

my main hope is that the action is a lot easier to follow than it sometimes is in the manga

Yeah, my hope for the adaption is that it elevates the source material because while I do really enjoy the manga there have been instances where the pacing was kinda weird, like some time skips that left me wondering if I'd missed a chapter, and the action scenes can be hard to parse sometimes. The fight clips from the PV looked great though, looking forward to the next ep and seeing the full thing.

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying
That was a pretty first episode.

Jose posted:

Then they got the right director for the job. If Sung Hoo Park could do that for God of High School he should be able to do it for anything.

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!

MonsterEnvy posted:

Ryomen Sukuna reminded me of something, and I realized that he was a boss in Nioh 2. Apparently his name means Double faced Spectre.

Ryomen Sukuna is a fairly well known yokai/spirit yeah. The Nioh 2 version is pretty much how it's described, with a face on each side of its head and 2 sets of arms and legs. Jujutsu Kaisen's verison is quite different.

Jerkface
May 21, 2001

HOW DOES IT FEEL TO BE DEAD, MOTHERFUCKER?

Fallen Rib

OnimaruXLR posted:

Tower of God kicked rear end who complained about it??

the manga for this is solid so I can't wait to get around to watching episode 1.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
Yeah, the fact that this shares a director with God of High School but has source material that's actually good should allay anyone's fears about this anime.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
god of high school owns mate

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

Full OP is out already

https://youtu.be/i1P-9IspBus

I hope the OP is accurate, I desperately want to see Parkour Panda.

Tales of Woe
Dec 18, 2004

OnimaruXLR posted:

it's an extremely wide range, if you're gonna credit God of High School then you need to credit the other "Crunchyroll Original" from last season, Gibiate, which was basically a laughing stock. i think overall they have the same batting average as anime in general.

crunchyroll is not on the committee for this show though as far as i can tell, they just have the streaming rights. the Crunchyroll Originals this season are Tonikawa and Noblesse.

Chic Trombone
Jul 25, 2010

I'd binged the manga recently out of curiosity, and have looked forward to this since, but god drat that first episode exceeded my expectations! Here's hoping it keeps the quality throughout

Chic Trombone
Jul 25, 2010

Everything Burrito posted:

Yeah, my hope for the adaption is that it elevates the source material because while I do really enjoy the manga there have been instances where the pacing was kinda weird, like some time skips that left me wondering if I'd missed a chapter, and the action scenes can be hard to parse sometimes. The fight clips from the PV looked great though, looking forward to the next ep and seeing the full thing.

I agree with this

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream
Holy lol at the ED

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AWEm4tA2hMc

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

RatHat posted:

Ryomen Sukuna is a fairly well known yokai/spirit yeah. The Nioh 2 version is pretty much how it's described, with a face on each side of its head and 2 sets of arms and legs. Jujutsu Kaisen's verison is quite different.

Going from the newest episode. Ryomen Sukuna in his original form was pretty much the same as described.

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
That's my jam.

Everything Burrito
Jun 2, 2011

I Failed At Anime 2022
I love the ED :3:

had a grin on my face watching the first bit of the episode as well, that was really fun.

Everything Burrito fucked around with this message at 22:16 on Oct 9, 2020

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

lol Gojou owns

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream
Part of the series I like is its sense of humor. Gojo shows up and his student is beat half to death and he's like "lol you got hosed up, I'm gonna take some pictures to show your classmates"

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

Fabricated posted:

Part of the series I like is its sense of humor. Gojo shows up and his student is beat half to death and he's like "lol you got hosed up, I'm gonna take some pictures to show your classmates"

I assume that was him on the other end of the line in the last episode going "that's hilarious" when told that the extremely dangerous cursed object is missing.

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream

Electric Phantasm posted:

I assume that was him on the other end of the line in the last episode going "that's hilarious" when told that the extremely dangerous cursed object is missing.
Yeah. "It's gone? Hilarious! Maybe it went for a walk!"

Jerkface
May 21, 2001

HOW DOES IT FEEL TO BE DEAD, MOTHERFUCKER?

Fallen Rib

Its so loving good wtf

The OP song is pretty generic so I'm gonna end up skipping it but Im watching this ED every time.

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
The full song for the ED, Lost in Paradise:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KnakQRoQRzk

Just an absolutely righteous jam. Shake your moneymakers! :dance:

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

ALI rules

RubberLuffy
Mar 31, 2011

I like this song more than Wild Side I think

and Wild Side loving owns

also they're like 2 for 2 in having awesome creative animations for their songs

Azathoth256
Mar 30, 2010

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream
I really liked some of the changes made from the manga in the second episode. Rather than just chilling on a park bench, the conversation between Gojo and Itadori takes place while he's finishing the funeral rites for his grandfather and picking up his bones. Kinda conveys Itadori's feelings at the moment better I think.

I think the conversation with the principal doesn't quite underscore that basically being mentally unwell is pretty much a requirement for the job. You have to be a person who can generate negative feelings/thoughts powerful enough to use your jujutsu, but also be able to control/use them and stay at least somewhat rational. And the job pretty much has you consistently in proximity to death and the worst parts of humanity. You have to have something wrong with you to do it, but someone has to do it.

If you're not a manga reader this is something to really keep in mind- anyone who's a Jujutsu Sorcerer in this story, "good guy" or not, they all have something very deeply wrong with them (or are suffering terribly, even if it's quietly) and that's literally where their power comes from.

Fabricated fucked around with this message at 03:31 on Oct 10, 2020

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying
Gojou is...extremely Kakashi at first glance.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

macabresca
Jan 26, 2019

I WANNA HUG
I'm not super into battle shounens but I checked this out and I like it a lot! Not very original but it's still cool, characters so far are funny and likeable and the animation and direction are great. Will definitely keep watching.

Oh, who am I kidding, it was fine, and then I saw the ending, and now it's my aots