Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Heather Papps

hello friend

if today wasn't my friends birthday and i hadn't promised to attend a twitch improv storytelling and music performance i would have hosted, it's just one of those weird coincidences.

psp tv seems fairly easy to run things thru, the dick tracy finale is:https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uua9RrVrvb0 and the movie BFM had selected was https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AlpK2tOHLGA with a caveat that it contains some problematic language.

movie nights are good and pure, but birthdays are sacred so my hands are kinda occupied tonight. i am bummed.

thanks Dumb Sex-Parrot and deep dish peat moss for this winter bounty!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Randy Travesty

PHANTOM QUEEN

What if we do a movie tomorrow night? I can host maybe.

Manifisto

Teddy Thunders posted:

What if we do a movie tomorrow night? I can host maybe.

tomorrow night would be cool, Bright Bart and I are on right now and just playing some shorts, if others join us we'll probably do one tonight too

ty nesamdoom!

Bright Bart

False. There is only one electron and it has never stopped
We can. But join us now for something at least. It'll be short and sweet.

Heather Papps

hello friend

Manifisto posted:

tomorrow night would be cool, Bright Bart and I are on right now and just playing some shorts, if others join us we'll probably do one tonight too

you two rule

Manifisto

we're watching quicksand! join us if u like

http://psp-tv.com/r/BYOBmovies

ty nesamdoom!

Bright Bart

We had fun. All you need is three or four Yobers and a femme fatale obsessed with mink coats (as all are) to have a nice time.

The night concluded with wishing BFM comes back stronger than ever.

Prof. Crocodile

Wishing BFM all the best in this thread, which is a labor of love that has enriched us all and brought us closer together during these strange days of lockdowns and isolation.

Stoner Sloth

Prof. Crocodile posted:

Wishing BFM all the best in this thread, which is a labor of love that has enriched us all and brought us closer together during these strange days of lockdowns and isolation.

sigs by the awesome Manifisto, Vanisher, City of Glompton, Pot Smoke Phoenix, Nut, Heather Papps,Prof Crocodile, knuthgrush, Ohtori Akio, Teapot, Saosyhant, Dumb Sex Parrot, w4ddl3d33, and nesamdoom!! - ty friends!

Leraika

Luckily, I *did* save your old avatar. Fucked around and found out indeed.

Prof. Crocodile posted:

ElbowRooming
Toapapper2020
Since tomorrow is the first of March and things will start going to be back to normal, maybe this month can be foreign films March.

Prof. Crocodile

ElbowRooming posted:

Since tomorrow is the first of March and things will start going to be back to normal, maybe this month can be foreign films March.

Man Bites Dog is totally available free on Youtube. Looks like a pretty good copy as well... https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VoHoHzVRDEs

The Holy Mountain is available as well, although I think we have balked at that in past because there is nudity. However I feel that the nudity is integral to the plot--in so far as anything in The Holy Mountain is integral to the plot.

Buttchocks

No, I like my hat, thanks.

Prof. Crocodile posted:

The Holy Mountain is available as well, although I think we have balked at that in past because there is nudity. However I feel that the nudity is integral to the plot--in so far as anything in The Holy Mountain is integral to the plot.

IIRC, Holy Mountain also has a lot of slaughtered animal gore.

Bright Bart

If anybody wants to do a flick tonight let me know even at the last moment so I can show up.

Randy Travesty

PHANTOM QUEEN

I'm in too much pain tonight to be able to focus on a film tonight. Sorry folks, I love y'all.

Finger Prince

I watched Waterworld last night and while I was watching it, I thought this would be a good BYOB movie night movie.

Bright Bart

Finger Prince posted:

I watched Waterworld last night and while I was watching it, I thought this would be a good BYOB movie night movie.

Not sure if it's available on YouTube for everyone to stream but I suspect the sentiment is probably correct even though I haven't seen the film.

Heather Papps

hello friend

so bfm has asked me to take care of the thread and whatnot while he takes a bit of a restorative break, and i am absolutely down with doing

ElbowRooming posted:

foreign films March.

starting tonight with

(i looked it up because the pacifier in the poster was so insane: this does not occur in the film. however based on a cursory glance at the wikipedia article this film does have a good amount of violence as well as at least once incidence of sexual violence. the conceit of the film is that a film crew is following around a serial killer as he goes about his day, which to me sounds pretty interesting but also, i suppose, necessitates a degree of violence?)

did you orbs finish the last dick tracy short? may play/replay that beforehand.

Prof. Crocodile

Heather Papps posted:

so bfm has asked me to take care of the thread and whatnot while he takes a bit of a restorative break, and i am absolutely down with doing

starting tonight with

(i looked it up because the pacifier in the poster was so insane: this does not occur in the film. however based on a cursory glance at the wikipedia article this film does have a good amount of violence as well as at least once incidence of sexual violence. the conceit of the film is that a film crew is following around a serial killer as he goes about his day, which to me sounds pretty interesting but also, i suppose, necessitates a degree of violence?)

did you orbs finish the last dick tracy short? may play/replay that beforehand.

I am stoked for man bites dog, but did not see the dock Tracy short... it’s not the same watching it without friends.

Nexein

"Donuts of
Champions"
Definitely in for foreign flicks, especially...strange poster-ed French and Japanese films? Looks rad.

https://giant.gfycat.com/FragrantGorgeousLeech.mp4
Spring masterpiece courtesy of Prof. Crocodile, thanks!

Heather Papps

hello friend

Nexein posted:

Definitely in for foreign flicks, especially...strange poster-ed French and Japanese films? Looks rad.

at a certain point they edited out the pacifier, a... smart move? i guess? it's an amazingly effective one sheet tho', it sucked me in.

Nexein

"Donuts of
Champions"

2nd one is infinitely more metal

Prof. Crocodile

I should say that although this film had a violent premise, I have been told it is a French arthouse film at heart, so it’s not like a Tarantino movie or anything.

How Wonderful!

I only have excellent ideas
Man Bites Dog is way too intense for me to watch again for fun, but I hope y'all enjoy it, it's a really well made movie for what it is. Just not my kind of thing to watch twice on purpose.

-sig by Manifisto! goblin by Khanstant! News and possum by deep dish peat moss!

Heather Papps

hello friend

the french really know how to make intense films. the only film i was physically incapable of finishing, martyrs, was a french movie.

any recs for foreign films for the rest of the month? my favourite movie of all time is m - a city searches for a murderer, which is a fantastic german weimar era peter lorre masterclass in acting. it's also about a killer, but there isn't any explicit violence.

does anyone know any good bollywood films? i am realizing that the majority of foreign films that i'm aware of are martial arts sorta things.

i think police story has a chunk set in the kowloon walled city.

ideas!

How Wonderful!

If Menschen am Sonntag is available for free it is a very charming and low-key movie about people just ambling around on a lazy weekend. I think another BYOB movie might be Zazie dans le Metro although I would be surprised if we could find that one for free. Tampopo is always a crowd favorite too, it's about a cowboy trucker who is obsessed with ramen. Daisies is a great Czech movie about two girls going berserk and pulling all sorts of nonsense. I also like the Leningrad Cowboys movies a lot. Of course Jacques Tati movies are very very BYOB at heart too. Oh Killers on Parade is one of my favorite movies too, it's so weird. It's like a very goofy take on Nikkatsu crime movies.

Prof. Crocodile

tampopo sounds wonderful

Nexein

"Donuts of
Champions"

Heather Papps posted:

any recs for foreign films for the rest of the month?

idk how important uhhh..legality or copyrights or whatever are for these streams, or if it's just about procuring the film somehow, but:

Strap everyone in for 200+ minutes to watch Seven samurai

I think my favorite french film is Vivre sa Vie but it's not super far from 'mainstream' enough to be super interesting I guess.

Korea's been more on my radar lately, "A Tale of Two Sisters" was really good and kinda spooky, "Mother" and any of Bong Joon-ho's films are of course safe bets.

I've also been meaning to watch more of Akira Kurosawa's films, which I bought a bunch of but haven't seen yet, so maybe having other people into it would make me do it

How Wonderful!

I think theoretically maybe the most fun Kurosawa movies to watch with a group would be later ones. Dreams is a series of gorgeous surreal vignettes, Dodes'ka-den has some very rough moments but is a very moving almost Gogol-esque look at a bunch of people in a small town and how their lives intersect.

Nexein

"Donuts of
Champions"
I think Dreams is the latest one that I own, before that being High and Low I think. I tried to pick up more of the keystone types like Throne of Blood, Rashomon, and Drunken Angel, but I just somehow haven't gotten around to any of them yet despite being in lockdown for the better part of a year.

Plant MONSTER.

I was watching simpsons at 0.75 without knowing until a scene where homer and bart were getting back massages at a hotel and the noises they were making were super drawn out like a youtube poop

Prof. Crocodile posted:

tampopo sounds wonderful

It's so good!

Prof. Crocodile

the sound of noise is also an amazing Swedish film with cool music, but I don’t think it is free on YouTube.

How Wonderful!

I think I have Tampopo on blu-ray if there's any way I could stream it that way that's kosher with BYOB law?

Stoner Sloth

Heather Papps posted:

does anyone know any good bollywood films?
ideas!

what was that one we watched last year which had the main character's name get repeatedly sung every time poo poo got real... think the name was DJ?

anyway think it counts as just about every genre if we can remember the name of it

sigs by the awesome Manifisto, Vanisher, City of Glompton, Pot Smoke Phoenix, Nut, Heather Papps,Prof Crocodile, knuthgrush, Ohtori Akio, Teapot, Saosyhant, Dumb Sex Parrot, w4ddl3d33, and nesamdoom!! - ty friends!

Leraika

Luckily, I *did* save your old avatar. Fucked around and found out indeed.
Baahubali 2 is one of my favorite action blockbusters. Eat poo poo, The Avengers.

I would also be willing to suggest more non-tits-and-catgirls anime if that's something people would be up for.

Bright Bart

European films are like spicy food. There's what gets fed to Americans and then there's the good stuff.

Stoner Sloth

Stoner Sloth posted:

what was that one we watched last year which had the main character's name get repeatedly sung every time poo poo got real... think the name was DJ?

anyway think it counts as just about every genre if we can remember the name of it

okay I think it's DJ: Duvvada Jagannadham

Heather Papps

hello friend

Stoner Sloth posted:

okay I think it's DJ: Duvvada Jagannadham

you know what maybe a whole bollywood month is in order at some point

fps_nug

horsing around no longer
same time tonight? 7pm est?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Heather Papps

hello friend

fps_nug posted:

same time tonight? 7pm est?

same bat time, same bat channel
(we'll start at 6:40 with the finale of dick tracy, then the main feature)
also here is the link, just in case!
http://psp-tv.com/r/BYOBmovies