Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BoldFrankensteinMir

Prof. Crocodile posted:

this is a solid top 3

I agree! And now that the year of nites is over, it's going to be up to us to expand upon the idea for the awards, which I will have more info about (and want to hear ideas about!) at our next showing.

Sig by Heather Papps

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BoldFrankensteinMir

Happy New Year, Coupons & Deals Movie Nite fans! It's January again which means Animation month, but what could possibly top last year's animation month high point, The Little Panda Fighter?

I'm hoping the Dove Foundation can guide us with tonight's PS4-era direct-to-landfill feature film: Ribbit! A "Toadly" Awesome Adventure!

It's the Sean Astin /Tim Curry Malaysian CGI funny animals vehicle that the judgiest Christians in Oregon judge fit for your family! What's not to love? Find out tonight at 4pm PST 7pm EST, https://cytu.be/r/BYOBmovies see you there!

Sig by Heather Papps

Bright Bart

False. There is only one electron and it has never stopped
I dunno those tigers look p sus but I'll try to make the night.

Viginti Septem

Oculus Noctuae
Coupon crab is killing me lol

biosterous

this is a movie

thank you saoshyant for this sig!!!
gallery of sigs

he/him

Viginti Septem

Oculus Noctuae
We need a good name for a female squirrel...

BoldFrankensteinMir

Viginti Septem posted:

We need a good name for a female squirrel...
Haha yeah! I refuse to believe they were unaware of another popular Sandy the Squirrel.

It was lazy, is what that movie was. And not even creative about it.

Sig by Heather Papps

BoldFrankensteinMir

The OP of this thread has been updated to include info on the Coupons & Deals Movie Nite Awards!

Friends, I can't thank you enough for watching an entire year of free movies with me in 2021. To celebrate this momentous accomplishment in group couch-potatory, we are going to throw our own award show in late March. Here's the announcement video yet again for anybody who hasn't seen it:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nF41HS0B0t8

Fund-raising has already begun through the coupon crab merch store, where all proceeds go to fund the award show- this will include primarily the cost of a virtual host we will hire via Cameo to read our movie choices (and maybe other gags if we can afford them). So the first thing you can do to help out is buy a sticker or a mug or a hoodie or something. They're really cute!

The next thing we can do towards putting on the show is we need to choose our award categories. Please pitch away, categories for good movies, bad movies, serious ideas, joke ideas, all ideas! This award show is going to be something special and we can all have a hand in making it. Heather Papps has been working on a list of all the films we watched in 2021 that they will post shortly, and having peeked at it I can say that there are some great movies on there, well worth celebrating / warning others about. We're gonna have a blast!

Sig by Heather Papps

Bright Bart

Category idea:

"I'm stranded on a deserted island and this is the only movie available but its still bad."

Leraika

Luckily, I *did* save your old avatar. Fucked around and found out indeed.
biggest 'wow actually this is rad' surpriser

Barking Gecko

Mahoro says, "Naughty things are bad."
cheesiest special effects

Manifisto

biggest gap between conception and execution (i.e. movies that were pretty good or at least ambitious in theory but fell flat in terms of screenwriting, acting, production, etc)

ty nesamdoom!

Buttchocks

No, I like my hat, thanks.
Best original song

teen witch
movies you’d recommend to someone as “a message”

most pedantic nitpick in a film

shittiest kid

:stonk: iest moment

the most famous actor in the cast that is just needing to put their son through college, ok?

Heather Papps

hello friend

THE COUPON GAZETTE: AKA "THE LIST"

(forgive inconsistent formatting and dates plz, also if i'm missing anything that stands out let me know! there are gaps)

Animation month

Sita sings the blues jan 2
The skid kid jan 6
Gullivers travels jan 9
The princess and the goblin jan 13
Quasi at the quackeroo/ the tale of the fox, the mark of uru, jan 16
Felix the cat: the movie, heathcliff: the movie, jan 19
Unico, jan 21
The wild swans, the scarlet flower jan 23
The magic voyage, little panda fighter jan 27
The point, jan 30

Noir month!

Gang bullets - dick tracy vs crime inc, feb 2
Notorious, feb 6
Vice squad, feb 10
Naked city, feb 13
Impact, feb 17
D.O.A. feb 20

International film month

Borderline feb 24
Man bites dog, march 3
Tampopo, dr satan, march 6th
Brain candy march 10th
m , march 13th
Fatal deviation, march 17th
One cut of the dead, march 20th
The great gold swindle, march 24
Singam 2, march 27th
TRASH SHORT NITE (https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3942695&userid=0&perpage=40&pagenumber=24), march 31

Suggestion month!

SHIZOPOLIS, april 3
Space milkshake april 7
Manhunt on mystery island plus shorts, April 10
The day that you love me plus tango! April 14

doc month

Sherman's march, may 1
Carts of darkness may 12
Happiness machine, ken burns dustbow, may 15
Jackie chan: my stunts/my story, may 19
To The Edge of Time and To The Edge of Space, and then a film by Hayao Miyazaki about airplanes, entitled Journey of the Heart., may 22

female directors month

Seder Masochism, june 2
Craigs wife, june 5
Blood diner, june 9
Jamaica inn, june 12
The mafu cage, June 16
Paris is burning, june 19
Madchen in uniform, june 23

Pride month

Black rose mansion july 14
How to survive a plague, july 17
Jeffrey, july 21
I shot andy warhol, july 24
The trials of oscar wilde, july 28
The special friendship, july 31

No theme month

Dr. otto and the riddle of the gloom beam, aug 4
Dragonball z: battle of gods, aug 7
Theodore rex, aug 11
Life of Brian, aug 14
Menschen am Sonntag, aug 18
Rodentz, aug 21
Ernest rides again, aug 25
SHORTS, aug 28

Italian cheese month

Triumph of maciste, sept 1
3 dev Adam/italian spiderman, sept 4
God’s gun, sept 8
Samson, sept 11 (never forget)
The minotaur: the wild beast of crete, sept 15
Maciste in the valley of thundering echoes, sept 18
Mole men against the son of hercules, sept 25
Atlas in the land of the cyclops/hercules and the pirates, sept 29

Spooky month (halloween)

Howling 4, oct 2
Ernest scared stupid, oct 6
Dr jekyll and mr hyde, oct 9
The vampire, oct 13
The giant claw, oct 16
House on haunted hill, oct 20
Tomb of ligeia, oct 23
Rocky horror show, oct 27
The blob/hideous sun demon, oct 30
Bonus bios thing: transitus, oct 30

Nature docs (turkey month)

Cherobyl animal life thing, nov 3
Red crabs vs crazy ants, nov 5
Animal homes, nov 10
Seasons in the sea, nov 13
Rights of nature, nov 17
Elusive: bigfoot abroad, nov 20
MEGATHON: TURKEY DAY, nov 25
National Geographic: The Wonderful World of Cats
Lost World of the Medusa
The Kingdom: How Fungi Made Our World /LIFE BEYOND II: The Museum of Alien Life, nov 27

Christmas movies
The great rupert, dec 1
Nancy drew show christmas ep, dec 4
The night they saved christmas, dec 8
Something?
Ernest saves christmas, dec 11
A dog for christmas, dec 15
Carol for another christmas, dec 18
MEGATHON: CHRISTMAS, dec 25
The Great Rupert
Babes in Toyland
Santa Claus Conquers the Martians
Santa Claus Vs the Devil
The Cheaters

the memories! they're flooding back powerfully.

thanks Dumb Sex-Parrot and deep dish peat moss for this winter bounty!

Prof. Crocodile

teen witch posted:

shittiest kid

it's that loving george kid who almost ruined the dutch christmas village :argh:

Prof. Crocodile

also: my coupon crab shirt has arrived at it is comfy and well-fitting.

Buttchocks

Most embarrassing costume.

BoldFrankensteinMir

Prof. Crocodile posted:

also: my coupon crab shirt has arrived at it is comfy and well-fitting.

Excellent! Thank you for your support!

Some suggestions for categories:

Rowdiest fight scene
Best villainous plan
Coolest animal

And then maybe we should do like a lifetime achievement award as the topper? There's several really interesting stars we could showcase from last year, like Paul Wynter, Akihiro Miwa and Terry Moore.

As hilarious as I find the name "The Jim Varney Memorial Award for Accomplishments in Free Cinema" I know we don't all love Ernest movies as much as I do, so we can workshop that.

Sig by Heather Papps

teen witch

BoldFrankensteinMir posted:

Excellent! Thank you for your support!

Some suggestions for categories:

Rowdiest fight scene
Best villainous plan
Coolest animal

And then maybe we should do like a lifetime achievement award as the topper? There's several really interesting stars we could showcase from last year, like Paul Wynter, Akihiro Miwa and Terry Moore.

As hilarious as I find the name "The Jim Varney Memorial Award for Accomplishments in Free Cinema" I know we don't all love Ernest movies as much as I do, so we can workshop that.

whilst I’m wet behind the ears with all this, I think the Varneys works. it’s evocative.

BoldFrankensteinMir

teen witch posted:

the Varneys

Oh wow that does work really well. I hadn't even thought about an Oscars-esque nickname yet.

Speaking of Oscars, it was suggested we time our awards as closely to those as possible for max parody potential. Currently the Academy Awards are scheduled for March 27, but these days you never know, its been delayed the last few years for obvious reasons that are obviously still applicable. We will have to be flexible.

Sig by Heather Papps

Pigsfeet on Rye

I'm meat on the hoof
Most Improbable Escape from Death
Best Deus Ex Machina

biosterous

stuff from the big list that i loved and/or enjoyed hating on

The princess and the goblin jan 13
little panda fighter jan 27
dick tracy vs crime inc, feb 2
D.O.A. feb 20
Tampopo, dr satan, march 6th
Brain candy march 10th
m , march 13th
Fatal deviation, march 17th
One cut of the dead, march 20th
Singam 2, march 27th
TRASH SHORT NITE (https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3942695&userid=0&perpage=40&pagenumber=24), march 31
The day that you love me plus tango! April 14
Carts of darkness may 12
ken burns dustbow, may 15
Craigs wife, june 5
Blood diner, june 9
Paris is burning, june 19
Jeffrey, july 21
The trials of oscar wilde, july 28

August i was away most of august and missed like all the movies!

Italian cheese month all blends together into one long sweaty oily movie where a strong man hucks a bolder and it's all fun

House on haunted hill, oct 20
Rocky horror show, oct 27
The blob/hideous sun demon, oct 30
Bonus bios thing: transitus, oct 30

Nature docs (turkey month) was a month where i did not have the spoons to watch things, oh well

The great rupert, dec 1 (i missed it this year but loved it last year)
The night they saved christmas, dec 8
A dog for christmas, dec 15
somewhere in here also was the sexy nutcracker/boring blandsome vet double feature, i had fun

thank you saoshyant for this sig!!!
gallery of sigs

he/him

Manifisto

my coupon crab coffee mug arrived! :dance: however, the handle was broken. :smith: however however, customer support is sending me a new one! :unsmith: and aside from the broken handle it looks great! :dance:

ty nesamdoom!

BoldFrankensteinMir

Oh no! I'm glad to hear customer support was helpful though, that's good to know.

Now you get a mug and a folksy brush-holder!

Sig by Heather Papps

BoldFrankensteinMir

Wednesday January 5, we're gonna watch a French/Belgian animated double feature! First up it's Asterix The Gaul from 1967:

And then Asterix Vs Caesar from 1985:

Technically they're the first and fourth Asterix movies but the second and third had region protections. I don't think we need them to watch them in order, but if anybody wants to watch the other two, later this week we could watch Asterix and Cleopatra (68) and The Twelve Tasks of Asterix (1976) on Discord or something. We can discuss it at the show!

4pm PST 7pm EST at https://cytu.be/r/BYOBmovies see you there!

Sig by Heather Papps

BoldFrankensteinMir

Shorts have begun at https://cytu.be/r/BYOBmovies

We're starting with Hanna Barbara's atrocious The Roman Holidays, which needs to be seen to be believed. I'll probably run it again at the end.

Sig by Heather Papps

Buttchocks

Wow, Roman Holidays was so bad it made us lose the Vietnam war.

BoldFrankensteinMir

Yeah it was atrocious. And, as technically beautiful as that second Asterix movie was, aspects of it did not age well.

I really appreciate having a group of friends who can watch this kind of stuff with a sense of perspective. I probably wouldn't show Asterix Vs Caesar again, but I'm glad to have at least seen it once so I know. And it was undeniably pretty.

Sig by Heather Papps

Heather Papps

hello friend

i'm still pondering those painted backgrounds. the jump in animation quality between the two films was also fascinating.

thanks Dumb Sex-Parrot and deep dish peat moss for this winter bounty!

Code Jockey

69420 basic bytes free

I really appreciate having a group of friends who can watch this kind of stuff with a sense of perspective.

absolutely. :)

Escape From Noise

Apparently the Christian propoganda film If Footmen Tire You, What Will Horses Do? which was sampled by Negativland in their song Christianity Is Stupid is available for free online.

teen witch

Escape From Noise posted:

Apparently the Christian propoganda film If Footmen Tire You, What Will Horses Do? which was sampled by Negativland in their song Christianity Is Stupid is available for free online.

oh gently caress I am down for this

teen witch
if anyone needs material for a blasphemy night lmk though it’s essentially all Christian focused

Bright Bart

If you think about it, Barney being a dinosaur from our imagination is fairly ahead of its time for a piece of media. Like we're not asked to accept that he or she is real. We're admitting it's all make believe and I think that's really :3:

BoldFrankensteinMir

Escape From Noise posted:

Interesting! I'm down, maybe not for one of the Wed/Sat showings in January since they're all gonna be cartoons, but if you want to host a different night, like...

teen witch posted:

blasphemy night

Sounds like a fun weekly show to me. And this might be a good candidate for the European time-zone showing we've been talking about.

Sig by Heather Papps

BoldFrankensteinMir

Alternatively, we could do a propaganda theme month this year for C&D movie nites. That's an interesting avenue of free movies too.

Sig by Heather Papps

teen witch

Sounds like a fun weekly show to me. And this might be a good candidate for the European time-zone showing we've been talking about.

absolutely! I need to have my sleeping schedule normalized a bit more so I can fully commit to things, whether solo or with others. ditto with work, I’m going back on Tuesday so let’s see how that stress obliterates me.

Manifisto

Alternatively, we could do a propaganda theme month this year for C&D movie nites. That's an interesting avenue of free movies too.

that sounds like fun, however the list of movies that are not propaganda in some sense might be more exclusive (or empty)

ty nesamdoom!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

teen witch
iiiiiis there a showing tonight…?