Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Saoshyant

:hmmorks: :orks:

Documentary Month is coming to an end this week, and we'll be watching another of David Attenborough's recent documentaries, this time focused on the flora of our planet. The Green Planet (2022)

Oh, and we'll have a preshow (that's becoming commonplace now), this time with a Donald Duck short from 1959 IN TECHNICOLOR! It's Donald in Mathmagic Land

How could you say no to learning about math in simple terms for little children (me) and dumb people (also me)?

September 27, 4pm PDT / 7pm EDT / 23:00 UTC on the BYOB Discord, C&D Movie Nite channel for the main feature, and 30 minutes earlier for the preshow.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Saoshyant

That's now! Donald Duck short starting, 30 minutes later the main feature. See you there!

Edit: it's ironic we moved from the "unstable" Cytube to the much stable Discord, only for Discord streaming to crap out completely during the exact time we were supposed to get the Donald Duck short running. We actually had to go and watch it in Cytube and come back later to Discord to watch Green Planet.

Saoshyant fucked around with this message at 16:50 on Sep 29, 2023

Saoshyant

Tomorrow, September 30, marks the end of Documentary Month. We had a lot of fun watching all sorts of documentaries together and on the last day we will be back TO SPACE!

On the very first day we watched a homage to Carl Sagan's Cosmos from 1980 and on the last day we will be watching the real thing! Get ready for mind blowing special effects from the era (they are legit amazing for the late 70's/early 80's).

Two episodes of this series (there's thirteen of them, though, so look them up later if you have the chance) plus we'll also have a longer preshow than usual to celebrate the final day of this theme, it's PBS New Eye on the Universe (2022) looking over the cool stuff the James Webb Telescope's been uncovering.

September 30, 4pm PDT / 7pm EDT / 23:00 UTC on the BYOB Discord, C&D Movie Nite channel for the main feature, and one hour earlier for the preshow.

Saoshyant

Osu! YAAAAA! No time for that egghead stuff anymore! Documentaries are so last month!

October is all for the coolest, meanest, badassest stuff this side of Bruce Lee. Come along to watch both old and new martial arts films. Anything goes if it's good or remarkable. Feel free to suggest stuff if you have anything in mind, too.

Saoshyant

We are kicking off the new month with Bruce Lee's magnus opus, the classic Enter the Dragon (1973) tomorrow!

If you've never watched it, you should come look at its amazing fighting choreography. It's a culmination of Bruce Lee's experience in similar films and the plot for the time is better than the usual barebones mess those movies tended to be. And it's obviously worth a rewatch if you haven't watched in years.

We will also be showing the occasional preshow short. We are picking the recently made and well reviewed Cobra Kai, a sequel to Karate Kid and considered by many to surpass the original material with strong acting and relatable characters.

October 4 at 4pm PDT / 7pm EDT / 23:00 UTC on the BYOB Discord, C&D Movie Nite channel for the main feature, and half an hour earlier for the preshow.

Leraika

Luckily, I *did* save your old avatar. Fucked around and found out indeed.
kinda tempted to recommend baahubali 2 so we're not getting just chinese/japanese martial arts films, but it's long and been shown already.

still a drat good movie tho

Dumb Sex-Parrot
i'd love to attend but it's too late for me :shobon:

thank you Saoshyantx4, Plant MONSTER. and deep dish peat moss for the excellent signature

Saoshyant

Leraika posted:

kinda tempted to recommend baahubali 2 so we're not getting just chinese/japanese martial arts films, but it's long and been shown already.

still a drat good movie tho

I haven't seen this one yet, though I think I heard talking about it, probably when it was shown in the past. Wouldn't be against the idea but that length is kind of problematic (nearly 3 hours).

Dumb Sex-Parrot posted:

i'd love to attend but it's too late for me :shobon:

Bah, who needs sleep? Especially on the weekend? Stay up late and watch movies with us!

Saoshyant

Tomorrow, Martial Arts month continues with classic Wuxia film Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon (2000)

This one is gorgeous, entertaining, and ripe with soul. It changed the landscape for Chinese mythical stories on cinema. Come fly all over the place with us tomorrow, 'cause this one shouldn't be missed.

Also, the second episode of Cobra Kai, 30 minutes before the main feature. Don't miss out on that either!

October 7 at 4pm PDT / 7pm EDT / 23:00 UTC on the BYOB Discord, C&D Movie Nite channel for the main feature, and half an hour earlier for the preshow.

If you are not on the BYOB Discord you can shoot a message to Manifisto and he'll sort it out

Saoshyant

This Wednesday, The Legend of Drunken Master (1994), one of (if not) the best Jackie Chan film ever made.

Expect the craziest stunts, fun comedy, and legit cool kung fu moves. Here's one you won't want to miss out on.

And speaking of not missing out, we'll have another episode of dunk on Johnny the series Cobra Kai thirty minutes before the main feature.

October 11 at 4pm PDT / 7pm EDT / 23:00 UTC on the BYOB Discord, C&D Movie Nite channel for the main feature, and half an hour earlier for the preshow.

Saoshyant

Man, oh man, was that final fight sequence, a whooping 20-something minutes of non-stop action, one of the most satisfying and crazy fighting scenes ever directed on anything!

Saoshyant

Tomorrow, Kung Fu Hustle (2004)!

A visually imaginative and unique movie by Stephen Chow, this is not only a parody of the genre, but is in its own right a pretty awesome kung fu film.

Also, another Cobra Kai episode, but this time right after the film ends to avoid scheduling overlap with other streams.

October 14 at 4pm PDT / 7pm EDT / 23:00 UTC on the BYOB Discord, C&D Movie Nite channel. Aftershow, 1h30m later as mentioned above.

Saoshyant fucked around with this message at 17:16 on Oct 13, 2023

Leraika

kung fu hustle owns so much

FutonForensic

Saoshyant posted:

Man, oh man, was that final fight sequence, a whooping 20-something minutes of non-stop action, one of the most satisfying and crazy fighting scenes ever directed on anything!

Top 10 movie for me, for sure

Saoshyant

Leraika posted:

kung fu hustle owns so much

Quoting for truth.

Also, while looking for Indian films with a shorter duration than Baahubali 2, I think I may have found a real winner. Gonna source a copy to see if we can watch it next Saturday.

awesome spring sig by RavenousScoot

Leraika

oh boy oh boy

Saoshyant

Tomorrow, one of the finest Jet Li films, it's Fist of Legend (1994)

I was undecided which Jet Li movie to pick between this, Tai Chi Master, and Fearless (and no we weren't going to watch The One!). Fist of Legend won by a small margin since all three are pretty drat good.

The story in this one is a major step up for the genre and, while this is mostly a remake of Bruce Lee's Fist of Fury AKA The Chinese Connection (a film from 1972), Jet Li performs the role of the main character most excellently and the plot is taken in a better direction. This is all topped by an amazing choreography by the legendary Yuen Wo-Ping.

Also, another Cobra Kai episode right before the film starts, half an hour earlier.

October 18 at 4pm PDT / 7pm EDT / 23:00 UTC on the BYOB Discord, C&D Movie Nite channel!

Saoshyant

That one really tackled well the period of Japanese occupation of China during WW2, sprinkled with crazy rear end martial arts choreography not seen even in other Jet Li films. Truly something special.

And that brings us to our next film in Martial Arts Month! An Indian production from 2018 called The Man Who Feels No Pain (Mard Ko Dard Nahi Hota)!

Expect two hours of non-stop bombastic stuff that Bollywood is known for. Its director produced this as a homage to all the kung fu films he ever watched, and some critics even describe it as "India's answer to Deadpool". Should be a good time!

And, as usual, we'll have another episode of Cobra Kai thirty minutes before the main feature.

October 21 at 4pm PDT / 7pm EDT / 23:00 UTC on the BYOB Discord, C&D Movie Nite channel for the film, and 30 minutes earlier for the preshow.

Saoshyant

Man Who Feels No Pain was amazing! It's pretty sad it isn't more popular even in India. Two straight hours of great comedy and incredible martial arts prowess; not an easy feat.

Tomorrow, we will nearly be at the end of Martial Arts Month, and so we have arrived at a Gordon Liu / Chia-Hui Liu film, probably his best, it's Heroes of the East (1978)!

also known as Challenge of the Ninja, Shaolin vs. Ninja and Shaolin Challenges Ninja

This is a rather entertaining Hong Kong film that starts with an arranged marriage of two martial artists who sort of despise each other (very similar to Ranma 1/2 now that I think about it), and one thing leads to another, and then the groom ends up accidentally challenging a ton of Japanese masters of different schools, so expect to see all kinds of crazy fight scenes.

Also, don't forget we'll have another Cobra Kai episode before the film is up.

October 25 at 4pm PDT / 7pm EDT / 23:00 UTC on the BYOB Discord, C&D Movie Nite channel for the main feature, and 30 minutes earlier for the preshow.

Saoshyant

This Saturday, we reach the end of Martial Arts Month with Encounters of the Spooky Kind (1980)!

You may have noticed we are approaching Halloween :v:

So, here's a Sammo Hung film, directed and starring him, and those are always good fun since he can do absurd stunts. This specific title is actually the progenitor of the jiangshi film genre (the hopping Chinese vampires) and it's also one of Hong Kong's first action horror comedies, so it's got that going for it.

I will have to skip two particular scenes in there, though, because of legit awfulness: animal cruelty to a chicken and uh the final scene before the credits which someone thought was really funny but is horrifying.

Also, we are so close to the end of season 1 of Cobra Kai and will be showing another episode half an hour before the film is up. We'll probably have to do a special viewing to watch the last two episodes.

October 28 at 4pm PDT / 7pm EDT / 23:00 UTC on the BYOB Discord, C&D Movie Nite channel for the main feature. If you need access please contact Manifisto.

Saoshyant

That's in just about two hours, don't forget!

Dumb Sex-Parrot
Did I miss it?

thank you Saoshyantx4, Plant MONSTER. and deep dish peat moss for the excellent signature

Saoshyant

Dead Sex-Parrot posted:

Did I miss it?

Uh, yeah, just finished minutes ago. Not our best film this month, but was pretty entertaining.

What a great month overall! We watched so many cool action films, the best stuff from Bruce Lee, Jackie Chan, Jet Li, Gordon Liu, and even newcomers from Bollywood!

And our Cobra Kai preshow was always a success. What a fun series, it really overshadows the original movies. And speaking of which, tomorrow we'll be doing a special stream just to watch the final two episodes of Cobra Kai's season 1. Show up if you like at 3:45pm PDT / 6:45pm EDT / 22:45 UTC

Saoshyant fucked around with this message at 02:02 on Oct 29, 2023

Saoshyant

Dead Sex-Parrot posted:

Did I miss it?

By the way

You got hugged!

Saoshyant

Heh, back to business. November starts a new month of films, and this time we are going to look at the best or most interesting output from a little place called New Zealand!

Should be good fun!

Leraika

Saoshyant posted:

Heh, back to business. November starts a new month of films, and this time we are going to look at the best or most interesting output from a little place called New Zealand!

Should be good fun!

do you have any ideas for shorts? because if not, I got some ideas....

Saoshyant

Leraika posted:

do you have any ideas for shorts? because if not, I got some ideas....

I have Wellington Paranormal and Outrageous Fortune in mind, but please, go ahead :)

Leraika

Saoshyant posted:

I have Wellington Paranormal and Outrageous Fortune in mind, but please, go ahead :)

Taskmaster NZ series 2, which is the best one

Saoshyant

Leraika posted:

Taskmaster NZ series 2, which is the best one

Ah, but then you'd run out of material for Taskmaster Thursday :v:v

Leraika

Saoshyant posted:

Ah, but then you'd run out of material for Taskmaster Thursday :v:v

We already did TM NZ S2 twice!!!

...I guess I could show it again, though. It's a goodun.

Saoshyant

Speaking of which, would you be interested in foreign non-English Taskmaster as a curio of sorts? My country's got one and I can source episodes of it. How useful would it be considering an audience not knowing the language or the celebrities involved is another matter. Maybe the hardcore completionists would really like it?

Edit: also, which of NZ S2 is the best episode overall?

Edit 2: goodness! Some people actually bothered to subtitle our version according to r/panelshow -- that's pretty crazy, Taskmaster fans really are something else

Saoshyant fucked around with this message at 16:52 on Oct 30, 2023

Leraika

Saoshyant posted:

Speaking of which, would you be interested in foreign non-English Taskmaster as a curio of sorts? My country's got one and I can source episodes of it. How useful would it be considering an audience not knowing the language or the celebrities involved is another matter. Maybe the hardcore completionists would really like it?

Edit: also, which of NZ S2 is the best episode overall?

Edit 2: goodness! Some people actually bothered to subtitle our version according to r/panelshow -- that's pretty crazy, Taskmaster fans really are something else

Yeah a lot (possibly all?) of the Taskmasters have at least one series subtitled. Taskmaster fans are super dedicated, it's awesome. I've enjoyed the foreign versions but I've found they're a harder watch even if I am a Subtitle Person just because you're watching the screen for all the little hints of impending disaster or something silly about to happen and you're not necessarily paying attention to the subtitles. I have very much considered (and mentioned to the taskfriends) running international taskmaster after I run out of english taskmaster but I haven't pulled the trigger on it yet.

The biggest stumbling block with TM PT in specific is that each episode is 90 min long, which - I haven't seen it yet but that's two regular episodes, lol. Bast i Test is 60 minutes and you do kind of feel the extra length.

Saoshyant

This Wednesday, a new month, a new theme, and coming hot from Halloween it's a vampire movie!

What We Do in the Shadows (2014) is a hilarious take on mockumentary films, focusing on a group of vampires living together and their interactions with society. You may have already heard about it, or know it's TV series continuation, or even have seen it. It's worth (re-)watching either way!

We'll also start our preshow season with a comedy show from the creative team who made the above film called Wellington Paranormal. It's like the X-Files, but starring instead the New Zealand police!

All this and more at the not usual time (edit: daylight saving switching in certain places messed this up) of 23:30 UTC on November 1, BYOB Discord, C&D Movie Nite channel. The movie starts half an hour later. And if you need access, please contact Manifisto.

Saoshyant fucked around with this message at 18:20 on Oct 31, 2023

Saoshyant

Alright, so we had our daylight saving switching in parts of Europe including here, but in NA it apparently only switches in November 5?

So, we are starting the movie later than usual for the NA viewers, but in turn we are adding more preshow content:

Let's go with a panel show about New Zealand comedians being awful at spelling words, it's Guy Montgomery's Guy Mont-Spelling Bee, starting at 23:00 UTC, which should be 4pm PDT / 7pm EDT

Leraika

guy mont spelling bee is good dumb fun and the first episode's a great intro

also, since you asked, the best taskmaster series 2 episodes are probably 2, 4, or 7 but the best individual task is the diss track task in episode 6.

Saoshyant

So, some news: due to outstanding demand, preshow time is now extended from 30m to a whooping 1h / 1h30m. Turns out NZ has some great panel shows, but since we also want to watch some of the cool TV shows, we'll do both and hopefully make everyone happy in the process. Are you ready for all this content??

And so, this Saturday, starting at 21:30 UTC (2:30 pm PDT / 5:30 pm EDT), there's an episode of Taskmaster NZ (S2E02)

Followed by a critically acclaimed TV show from 2005, Outrageous Fortune

Which is the story of a family massively involved in crime and whose matriarch decides that they have to stop and start earning money honestly. It was popular enough not only to get 6 seasons that were all rated highly by viewers, but to also get adaptations into other markets under different names "Honest" (UK) and "Scoundrels" (US), so it should be a good time.

"But this is Movie Nite, what's the actual film here", you ask?

The Dark Horse (2014). The moment I saw its trailer I knew this one would be a strong contender for a great pick:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X3YopiaQ3k8

This one is based on a true story about a great chess player suffering from a massive bipolar disorder, who decides that by teaching the local youths to play chess they will be dissuaded from joining gangs and getting into a life of crime. Chess, Maori mythology, mental illness, gangs, kids, all thrown into a well weaved, emotional tale that (according to every review I've read) will hit you like a truck.

November 4, BYOB Discord, C&D Movie Nite channel, 23:00 UTC (4:00 pm PDT / 7:00 pm EDT) for the main feature, 45 minutes earlier for Outrageous Fortune, plus Taskmaster NZ at 21:30 UTC (2:30 pm PDT / 5:30 pm EDT). And if you need access, please contact Manifisto.

Saoshyant

That's today and starting in just a few minutes!

Saoshyant

The Dark Horse was definitively a beautiful movie. It's heavy with the theme of mental illness, especially at the start the first scenes hit hard, but as it goes on, hope slowly replaces the darkness, and what we end up with is a brilliant tale about never giving up on anyone, even when you have so many problems of your own to solve, there's always someone else you could help somehow.

This Wednesday, we are going for something different: more soft, all ages. It's Hunt for the Wilderpeople (2016)

It's another Taika Waititi film, this time a comedy adventure of a national manhunt trying to find the people in this poster, except they don't want to be found!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dPaU4Gymt3E

We'll also have our two different preshows before the film starts, this time going back to Guy Montgomery's Spelling Bee shenanigans

And a new TV show we haven't watched before, The Almighty Johnsons (2011), a comedy drama about Norse gods being reborn as normal blokes in New Zealand. It's a super natural, low budget show with a lot of heart, so it should be a good time.

So, on November 8, BYOB Discord, C&D Movie Nite channel:
Guy Montgomery's Spelling Bee starts at 22:30 UTC (2:30 pm PST / 5:30 pm EST)
The Almighty Johnsons starts at 23:15 UTC (3:15 pm PST / 6:15 pm EST)
Hunt for the Wilderpeople starts at 00:00 UTC (4:00 pm PST / 7:00 pm EST)

Saoshyant

That's today!

Also, our esteemed BFM has just made another countdown video featuring everyone's favorite dancing Coupon Crab, here to bring you free movies during NZ month:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lyw2bwVaaZQ

This is featuring music by Anti-Kati, a band from Auckland, New Zealand

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

my cat is norris

#onecallcat

the hunt for the wilderpeople is a very very good movie

have tissues on hand

norris, custodian of cat named
Attorney-in-fact of Norris, Cat Named Thereof