Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Randy Travesty

PHANTOM QUEEN

Manifisto posted:

good lord you're not kidding that's like an indie enthusiast's wet dream

I got really into Pell Mell because of that soundtrack ngl

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

How Wonderful!

I only have excellent ideas
This is the song that plays during any montage of me reading and posting.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vlqndrPulhs

-sig by Manifisto! goblin by Khanstant! News and possum by deep dish peat moss!

Manifisto

oh man liz phair you were once making masterpieces like six dick pimp what the hell happened to you

ty nesamdoom!

Randy Travesty

PHANTOM QUEEN

Exile in Guyville was okay but whitechocolatespaceegg was weird and not entirely my thing.

Manifisto

Teddy Thunders posted:

Exile in Guyville was okay but whitechocolatespaceegg was weird and not entirely my thing.

fine and agreed but whip-smart was good too imo, she went into a decline after that

ty nesamdoom!

Randy Travesty

PHANTOM QUEEN

Manifisto posted:

fine and agreed but whip-smart was good too imo, she went into a decline after that

Agreed on all points

I miss the music of the 90s but if I'm being honest what a horrible loving time to be alive

Manifisto

Teddy Thunders posted:

Agreed on all points

I miss the music of the 90s but if I'm being honest what a horrible loving time to be alive

it was a weird era. a lot of stuff just terrible, especially in retrospect, but imagine living in a time where there was just a general supply of optimism. not for everyone, not about everything, but for example this internet thing seemed like it could be really cool and could accomplish great things. lol.

ty nesamdoom!

Heather Papps

hello friend

Manifisto posted:

this internet thing seemed like it could be really cool and could accomplish great things. lol.

i mean it did end up with us watching weird films and ancient republic shorts together so some great things were accomplished

thanks Dumb Sex-Parrot and deep dish peat moss for this winter bounty!

Manifisto

Heather Papps posted:

i mean it did end up with us watching weird films and ancient republic shorts together so some great things were accomplished

weirdly, people scavenging the detritus of the total information society and making useful things out of it, i.e. cyberpunk, is one of the most optimistic ideas to come out of the 90s, and at the time it was viewed as dystopian

ty nesamdoom!

Heather Papps

hello friend

honk beep crash it's coupons and deals movie night! please join us at http://psp-tv.com/r/BYOBmovies in about 15 minutes!

also, mani, that is honestly one of the most brilliant takes on cyberpunk and our modern reality i've ever heard. we are all information and media scavengers, and finding a way to make something actually good and fun is very important. gonna be thinking about this for a while!

Heather Papps

hello friend

thanks everyone for stopping by! brain candy really made me laugh and smile, and dr satan is a blast.

Pigsfeet on Rye

I'm meat on the hoof
Yeah, I'm getting into the old time serials, the Copperhead vs. Dr. Satan is looking awesome. Nice find!

Heather Papps

hello friend

tonight we'll be watching a film from both a foreign time and place!

M is somewhere very close to the top of my list of favourite things. it is the story of a murderer who is being hunted by both the police and the street folk who are enduring the majority of the consequences of a city on the edge of paranoia and terror.
(there is no explicit violence i can recall in this film, it's more of a mood piece.)
(the subs are built in, i've learned my lesson!)

please joint us around 7 for the main event, or about 20 minutes earlier to continue the adventures of the copperhead versus the mysterious dr satan!

fps_nug

horsing around no longer

Heather Papps posted:

tonight we'll be watching a film from both a foreign time and place!

M is somewhere very close to the top of my list of favourite things. it is the story of a murderer who is being hunted by both the police and the street folk who are enduring the majority of the consequences of a city on the edge of paranoia and terror.
(there is no explicit violence i can recall in this film, it's more of a mood piece.)
(the subs are built in, i've learned my lesson!)

please joint us around 7 for the main event, or about 20 minutes earlier to continue the adventures of the copperhead versus the mysterious dr satan!

sounds awesome! hope I can make it

Prof. Crocodile

so excited for Peter Lorre and killer robots!

Pigsfeet on Rye

I'm meat on the hoof

Prof. Crocodile posted:

so excited for Peter Lorre and killer robots!

Your new signature is amazing

Prof. Crocodile

Pigsfeet on Rye posted:

Your new signature is amazing

thank you, I adore it. all props go to heather papps.

Bright Bart

False. There is only one electron and it has never stopped.
A foreign place is one thing but a foreign time should be a trip!

biosterous

thank you saoshyant for this sig!!!
gallery of sigs

he/him

Luvcow

One day nearer spring

lmao

Manifisto

peter lorre impression begins at 1:29

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9D2A32KUTq0

ty nesamdoom!

Heather Papps

hello friend

thank you so much!

Pot Smoke Phoenix

Smoke 'em if you gottem!

fps_nug posted:

sounds awesome! hope I can make it

Yes, Copperhead Road by Steve Earle- I couldn't figure out how to reply in the chat lol

https://i.imgur.com/QKTkerO.mp4
Sig elements by Manifisto and Heather Papps
Sig File protected by SigLock. do NOT steal this sig!

fps_nug

horsing around no longer

Pot Smoke Phoenix posted:

Yes, Copperhead Road by Steve Earle- I couldn't figure out how to reply in the chat lol

love that album so much. my dad saw him live a few times!

Luvcow

One day nearer spring

Manifisto posted:

peter lorre impression begins at 1:29

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9D2A32KUTq0

this was awesome

fps_nug

horsing around no longer
oh hes still touring. hard to catch him in canada tho

Heather Papps

hello friend

copperhead row rules and is about, (i think), growing weed.

also, m is one of the films i have trouble convincing people to watch with me in real life. thank you each and every one for enduring what is at it's core a movie about a difficult topic.

i do want to note how this is contrasted with man bites dog, as far as violence goes.

i honestly believe that if fritz lang made M today, there wouldn't be explicit violence. the ball rolling, the balloon abandoned, a man whistling to himself - these are all much more effective ways of showing the tension that has fallen upon a city than guts and blood.

and that final monologue, that final line!

what a film.

Randy Travesty

PHANTOM QUEEN

A gentle suggestion:

Via the Forgotten Horrors podcast hosted by a high school bud's dad and produced by another high school bud. Highly recommend the podcast if you like B movies and old horror; John is a fantastic resource on all things old Hollywood, Tulsa and Western Swing, btw!

Heather Papps

hello friend

Teddy Thunders posted:

A gentle suggestion:

Via the Forgotten Horrors podcast hosted by a high school bud's dad and produced by another high school bud. Highly recommend the podcast if you like B movies and old horror; John is a fantastic resource on all things old Hollywood, Tulsa and Western Swing, btw!

excellent! i read up on a bunch of shorts before settling on the mysterious dr satan because given the time period a lot of shorts are pretty brutal in their bigotry.

i am almost thinking of doing a short month, where instead of films we do half or a total serial in a night. the question is would the recaps get annoying?

but this is slotted for sure!

biosterous

the first time we did the black whip was all in one sitting, and the recaps were a great time to grab more snack or do some exercise or go to the toilet or whatever. imo it worked fine!

thank you saoshyant for this sig!!!
gallery of sigs

he/him

Heather Papps

hello friend

biosterous posted:

the first time we did the black whip was all in one sitting, and the recaps were a great time to grab more snack or do some exercise or go to the toilet or whatever. imo it worked fine!

:hai: okay i think next month just may be the super short spectacular!

fps_nug

horsing around no longer
shorts month sounds awesome

Pot Smoke Phoenix

Smoke 'em if you gottem!

Heather Papps posted:

:hai: okay i think next month just may be the super short spectacular!

I have ADD and was the kid that made everyone else giggle when it was a/v day in class when the lights were out so I'm all about this

https://i.imgur.com/QKTkerO.mp4
Sig elements by Manifisto and Heather Papps
Sig File protected by SigLock. do NOT steal this sig!

Heather Papps

hello friend

so given it's that irish day i am digging thru youtube to see what classic irish films are available. it's coupons and deals night so no guarantees of quality!

Heather Papps

hello friend

i think i found a real pot of gold, folks.
tonight, at 4:00 PM PST/ 7:00 PM EST/ Midnight GMT (ish) please join us as we marvel at FATAL DEVIATION, irelands first ever full length locally produced martial arts action film!

i watched some chunks to see if it was gonna be as funny as i thought it would be, and oh boy, it's... another in a long list of films staring martial arts guys who got ahold of a camera and realized they could get a girl to kiss them if they wrote it into a movie.

starting approx fifteen minutes before that we have chapter 7 of the mysterious dr satan: THE MONSTER STRIKES

also bfm and i have been conversing about the fuuuuuuture of mooooooovie nights, and i think it'll make things a lot more fun moving forward! we will keep everyone posted!

Manifisto

sounds awesome!

ty nesamdoom!

Leraika

Luckily, I *did* save your old avatar. Fucked around and found out indeed.
I don't think I'll be able to watch with you guys but it sounds incredible :(

Heather Papps

hello friend

Leraika posted:

I don't think I'll be able to watch with you guys but it sounds incredible :(

i will take notes on the mysterious dr satan so next time you can be caught up

take the moon

by sebmojo
hyp

----------------
This thread brought to you by a tremendous dickhead!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Heather Papps

hello friend

oh holy smokes i found a short news piece about the movie, from before it came out. gonna front load the film with that, after dr satan. i'm hanging out, will start stuff when we get a few folk there!