Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

How Wonderful!

I only have excellent ideas
I love love love Sita Sings the Blues and what's more it's one of the very first movies I ever watched with Bingo Bango. I'm running around tomorrow trying to get paperwork done and stuff but I'll really try to be around for this.

-sig by Manifisto! goblin by Khanstant! News and possum by deep dish peat moss!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

How Wonderful!

I have to be in the right mood to want to laugh at a bad movie but I'll watch a good movie whenever so I like this idea.

How Wonderful!

Did you get to keep any of the puppets and if so could you make them post?

How Wonderful!

I'm sad I missed this because I actually really liked this movie as a kid, to the extent that I think my parents got me a nice edition of the 1872 novel for Christmas one year (I might be getting mixed up on this part). I think it probably contributed a lot to my decision to become both a princess and a goblin.

How Wonderful!

Heather Papps posted:

is the single toe of the goblin foot from the book. i can't stop thinking about how gross they were.

Yeah they talk about the goblin toes and the goblin feet a ton, I thought it was the funniest thing.

How Wonderful!

Heather Papps posted:

the copy we watched was likely a vhs rip on youtube, and at first i thought it was just a trick of the low resolution but i couldn't look away.
the queen had 5 toes - was she a sun person?

Maybe I'll read it again because I definitely remember this being part of the plot.

How Wonderful!

I have watched all the Kruikshank vids and I love them as much as I thought I would.

How Wonderful!

Kief Richards posted:

I've got a clean copy of Bill and Ted's Excellent Adventure that I'm holding onto too, because I have dreams of one day holding a regular movie night of my own again. Someday.

I deeply miss in-person movie nights. Hooting and hollaring with old friends and new friends, becoming famous for various dips and treats... what more could being alive ever mean...

How Wonderful!

Kief Richards posted:

I will never again know the joy of eating a soft pretzel among friends, absolutely roasting every member of the cast of Empire Records

Post-COVID making a giant asterisk shaped soft pretzel so me and all my friends can each start eating one prong and then share a lil kiss in the middle

How Wonderful!

Sang the cat song making tea this morning.

How Wonderful!

You can rewrite the cat song to be about anything. Any animal you want. For example here is a good song to sing to my dog, King Francis, or for him to sing to himself:

quote:

My ears are soft,
My butt is bad
My nose is wet as hell.
And every day
I sing this song
and do it very well.

I am Fran
and that is why
I
Sing this song
This song of bow wow wow.

Sing this song
This song of bow wow wow.

How Wonderful!

Bear nipple hypothesis

Conclusion: bad

How Wonderful!

I feel bad that I keep forgetting that there are Wednesday movies.

How Wonderful!

BoldFrankensteinMir posted:

Tonight! At 4pm PST 7pm EST midnight GMT, join us in http://psp-tv.com/r/BYOBmovies for another Coupons & Deals movie nite!

It's still Film Noir February, so this week's carefully chosen riffing-target is: 1949's Impact:

I don't have much insight on this one outside the usuals- I haven't seen it yet and there doesn't seem to be too much historically important about it other than that it is an early adopter of product placement. For that reason and for that awesome poster it's enough to be a viable Coupons & Deals movie, but it also synergizes nicely with next week's movie, which will be revealed after the show!

And, starting a half hour before showtime, episodes 9 and 10 of Dick Tracy vs Crime INC!

See you there friends! Stay warm!

Well Arthur Lubin directed the "Francis the Talking Mule" series (and created Mr. Ed.) so I am eagerly expecting some talking animal action. Also the not-bad thriller Footsteps in the Fog in which only people talk. Ella Raines was in several noir movies I've liked a lot though so I'm sure at the very least she'll be good-ish in it?

How Wonderful!

Hopefully everything's good with BFM but I'm ok holding out for Wednesday!

How Wonderful!

Man Bites Dog is way too intense for me to watch again for fun, but I hope y'all enjoy it, it's a really well made movie for what it is. Just not my kind of thing to watch twice on purpose.

How Wonderful!

If Menschen am Sonntag is available for free it is a very charming and low-key movie about people just ambling around on a lazy weekend. I think another BYOB movie might be Zazie dans le Metro although I would be surprised if we could find that one for free. Tampopo is always a crowd favorite too, it's about a cowboy trucker who is obsessed with ramen. Daisies is a great Czech movie about two girls going berserk and pulling all sorts of nonsense. I also like the Leningrad Cowboys movies a lot. Of course Jacques Tati movies are very very BYOB at heart too. Oh Killers on Parade is one of my favorite movies too, it's so weird. It's like a very goofy take on Nikkatsu crime movies.

How Wonderful!

I think theoretically maybe the most fun Kurosawa movies to watch with a group would be later ones. Dreams is a series of gorgeous surreal vignettes, Dodes'ka-den has some very rough moments but is a very moving almost Gogol-esque look at a bunch of people in a small town and how their lives intersect.

How Wonderful!

I think I have Tampopo on blu-ray if there's any way I could stream it that way that's kosher with BYOB law?

How Wonderful!

I'm very very sensitive to seeing violence in some cases, especially scenes of helpless people in agony or intense fear, but it's weird, sometimes the switch in my brain that goes "ok but this is art so suck it up," or "oh this is just a movie" can click on and help me get through it. Not often though which makes me a huge wuss. I just cannot watch 90% of horror movies from the past 50 years, even dumb action movies a la Die Hard or John Wick. I'm not sure what it is because I can watch samurai movies with lots of blood flying everywhere no problem, and I remember early on in grad school my advisor making me watch Salo "to get it over with" and not finding it very shocking or disturbing, probably because Pasolini makes it so stylized that it's just like watching Senecan drama or Elizabethan revenge plays or something.

How Wonderful!

Oh god, I love Tampopo but I have other plans tonight. I hope all of you who haven't seen it before like it, it's so funny and cool.

How Wonderful!

Brain Candy has an astonishingly good soundtrack. It is the exact list of things I would want to listen to in 1996.

How Wonderful!

This is the song that plays during any montage of me reading and posting.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vlqndrPulhs

How Wonderful!

Hey, one of my favorite things I ever saw as a result of BYOB movie night was Sally Cruikshank's cartoons. Anyway, I just saw that there's an interview with her in the new issue of The Comics Journal. I don't have it yet but if people are interested I'd be happy to post the interview.

How Wonderful!

I'm really sad I missed Madchen in Uniform. Maybe I should start paying attention and going to movie night instead of just catching up on this thread weeks late and going awww man

How Wonderful!

Oh man, I really want to see this but I'm just about to head out to dinner. Aaaghhh.... well I'll hop in when I can, hopefully.

How Wonderful!

You had me at Nathan Lane

How Wonderful!

Oh wow, I'll try to make it but look, frankly I have a full kiddie pool in the yard and its hot out, I might be AWOL permanently.
Also
1) Theodore Rex was worth it entirely for Bud Cort going COMPLETELY off the charts into madness
2) I binged Popee the Performer thank you for putting it in my path

How Wonderful!

Menschen am Sonntag is a beautiful, extraordinarily chill semi-improvisational movie about numerous young Berliners enjoying a day off from 1930. It's also one of the major early Billy Wilder movies before he fled Germany in 1933. It's on YouTube and its really good!!

I don't know if I'll actually be around tonight since we're leaving early tomorrow for an eight hour drive but that's my nomination!

How Wonderful! fucked around with this message at 19:21 on Aug 18, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

How Wonderful!

I remember watching a bunch of Italian barbarian movies in highschool and laughing a lot but I don't know if they've held up and frankly the only one I could remember by name was, it turns out, actually Argentinean.