Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

LeafyOrb
Jun 11, 2012

Stand-up comedians please stop talking about cancel culture, my brain immediately goes “oh no” every time you bring it up.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SunshineDanceParty
Feb 7, 2006

One Road. Two Friends. One Ass.

She shouldn't listen to his podcast then.

pwn
May 27, 2004

This Christmas get "Shoes"

:pwn: :pwn: :pwn: :pwn: :pwn:

LeafyOrb posted:

Stand-up comedians please stop talking about cancel culture, my brain immediately goes “oh no” every time you bring it up.

Yes.

When they bitch about :airquote: cancel culture :airquote:, what I hear is: “Please stop judging people on their words and actions.” Because very few people actually get “canceled,” the consequences for being a piece of poo poo are generally pretty benign. Oh no, you didn’t get to host the Oscars? You couldn’t go on talk shows for a year? You’re sometimes mocked by people on the street because you like to show your pecker to women without permission? None of that is canceling. Weinstein is canceled. The Cos is canceled. Lauer and Spacey are on the fringes of being canceled, but they’re free and have homes and wealth, so I’d say they’re doing well.

So let’s get to the heart of the matter, Bill. Maybe you overheard someone talking poo poo about John Wayne because of the absolutely abhorrent (even for the time) poo poo he said about race (“I believe in white supremacy”) and native peoples (“I don’t feel we did wrong in taking this great country away from them”) and are bent out of shape because... they formed an opinion of him? Based on poo poo he said? On the record?

God drat it this poo poo is so boring.

Bioshuffle
Feb 10, 2011

No good deed goes unpunished

I cringed at the jab against Herman Cain. Too soon.

Then the monologue happened. I'm amazed the sexist punch line got any laughs, at all. Was there an awkward pause?

I enjoy Bill Burr's podcast, but it does not translate well to television skits.

JazzFlight
Apr 29, 2006

Oooooooooooh!

I started watching the youtube playlist of the episode from the monologue and noped out so much I said “gently caress it” to watching the rest of the show. I guess I got “triggered,” huh, Bill?

Fateo McMurray
Mar 22, 2003

If you all tried any harder to be woke you might have an aneurysm

SHVPS4DETH
Mar 19, 2009

seen so much i'm going blind
and i'm brain-dead virtually

Ramrod XTreme
ok boomer

pwn
May 27, 2004

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Only 3.6 Roentgoons per hour ... not great, not terrible.

...the meter only goes to 3.6...

Pork Pro
I'd feel bad about the jab at Herman Cain if his people weren't still propping his corpse up on social media, parading him around like Weekend at Bernie's, saying that COVID really isn't a big deal.
:nallears:

InfiniteZero
Sep 11, 2004

PINK GUITAR FIRE ROBOT

College Slice

pwn posted:

10 seconds of EVH will have to do

In Jack White's photo before the first music act, he was holding an EVH Wolfgang guitar in all of the photos. He also used a Wolfgang for his second song.

twerking on the railroad
Jun 23, 2007

Get on my level
This is two weeks in a row I've noped out after the cold open

a new study bible!
Feb 2, 2009

BIG DICK NICK
A Philadelphia Legend
Fly Eagles Fly

The Sam Adams sketch was okay.

Veskit
Mar 2, 2005

I love capitalism!! DM me for the best investing advice!

pwn posted:

Yes.

When they bitch about :airquote: cancel culture :airquote:, what I hear is: “Please stop judging people on their words and actions.” Because very few people actually get “canceled,” the consequences for being a piece of poo poo are generally pretty benign. Oh no, you didn’t get to host the Oscars?

What is it called when Kevin Hart doesn't get to host the oscars? Did he get short changed or something?

tarlibone
Aug 1, 2014

Am I a... bad person?
AM I??

Fun Shoe

Veskit posted:

What is it called when Kevin Hart doesn't get to host the oscars? Did he get short changed or something?

Oh, so it's OK to make fun of the vertically challenged now?

Stop height-shaming the man. He's funny. Funnier than most comics, especially if you're looking at this LPIH.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

Height shaming?

Hilarious.

JazzFlight
Apr 29, 2006

Oooooooooooh!

tarlibone posted:

Stop height-shaming the man. He's funny. Funnier than most comics, especially if you're looking at this LPIH.
Err... isn't making fun of his height a huge part of Kevin Hart's comedy? Like a ton of his own jokes are poking fun about how he feels puny.
That'd be like saying you couldn't make fat slob jokes about Kevin James.

(I also know and acknowledge that fat-shaming, height-shaming, any body-shaming in general are not good)

EDIT: I would also like to point out that Kevin Hart still hasn't really given a good apology for his gay-bashing jokes.

JazzFlight fucked around with this message at 23:23 on Oct 12, 2020

Veskit
Mar 2, 2005

tarlibone posted:

Ohhh I thought this was farce hahaha wow. Yeah I'm shaming the man who went by little kevin.

JazzFlight posted:

EDIT: I would also like to point out that Kevin Hart still hasn't really given a good apology for his gay-bashing jokes.

He made an apology on his documentary that seemed fine, but it's not my place to say whether or not it was acceptable or not, but on paper it seems ok, even if mad late.

tarlibone
Aug 1, 2014

Am I a... bad person?
AM I??

Fun Shoe

JazzFlight posted:

Err... isn't making fun of his height a huge part of Kevin Hart's comedy? Like a ton of his own jokes are poking fun about how he feels puny.

Being other than tall is something Mr. Hart can talk about because he identifies as such. He can make fun of himself. If anyone else does, even if they're quoting him verbatim, regardless of context, it's pretty much the worst thing ever. Before you blow a gasket, read the rest of the post.

Veskit posted:

Ohhh I thought this was farce...

Let me stop you right there. Unless the next bit of text in this post is something along the lines of, "..., and it was, so I'll just post that I got the joke!", then you might want to take another crack at it.

C'mon, folks. Have we really reached such a touchy point where even a pretty obviously sarcastic post could possibly be taken seriously? Did anyone bother to notice that I got "height-shaming" from the innocent (and unrelated to his physical height) use of the English idiom "short-changed?" Or that height-shaming isn't really a thing? (Not that I've heard of, anyway.) Or that I used LPIH as a unit of measurement? It stands for Laughs Per Inch in Height. I'm saying that even if he's technically as funny as a taller person, he's funnier per inch in height. Sure, it's not my best material, and my best material isn't that good, but what part of that post looked like it was anything other than absurd?

Besides, one of my favorite routines of his was where he pantomimed why he doesn't like sitting on bar stools. It wasn't because they don't offer back support. The dude's short, and it is indeed a part of his comedy.

Bioshuffle
Feb 10, 2011

Bill Burr reminds me early 2000s era forums, when everyone was super edgy and offensive. And if you didn't find that funny, you were a snowflake.

tarlibone posted:

Or that height-shaming isn't really a thing? (Not that I've heard of, anyway.) his comedy.
You don't get to invalidate someone's take just because you haven't experienced it. Height shaming is absolutely a thing, especially when it comes to dating. You are normalizing that type of behavior by refusing to acknowledge it.

https://www.huffingtonpost.co.uk/entry/i-felt-insecure-how-height-rejection-impacts-men_uk_5e26fc4bc5b674e44b9e3b69

LeafyOrb posted:

It is absolutely a thing though. Comedians should be allowed to talk about whatever they want to. Lenny Bruce, Richard Pryor, George Carlin, Andree Dice Clay, Patrice O'Neal, all those comics faced constant battles against censorship. Mind you, the ultimate goal wasn't to be edgy and push the envelope it was to make you laugh. Comedians should not be canceled for trying out new material.

Having said that, Bill Burr's opening monologue wasn't funny or insightful. He doesn't deserve to get canceled for it, but I felt like he was referring to comedians being canceled for making jokes deemed inappropriate, not canceled for being creeps and such.

Then again, Bill Burr ranted against people trying to cancel Chris D'Elia for being a rapist, so who the hell knows.

Bioshuffle fucked around with this message at 14:02 on Oct 13, 2020

tarlibone
Aug 1, 2014

Am I a... bad person?
AM I??

Fun Shoe

Bioshuffle posted:

Bill Burr reminds me early 2000s era forums, when everyone was super edgy and offensive. And if you didn't find that funny, you were a snowflake.

It is absolutely a thing though. Comedians should be allowed to talk about whatever they want to. Lenny Bruce, Richard Pryor, George Carlin, Andree Dice Clay, Patrice O'Neal, all those comics faced constant battles against censorship. Mind you, the ultimate goal wasn't to be edgy and push the envelope it was to make you laugh. Comedians should not be canceled for trying out new material.

This is how Bill Burr comes off to me, too, although I will confess that most of the time, he is a little bit further away from the line of what I consider horrible than many comedians of that type are. Emphasis on most of the time. He crosses the line here and there, but he's not the worst offender in that regard. It's more like grumpy old man humor. Like that movie where Dirty Harry yells at kids to get off his lawn, if that guy took half a chill pill and told jokes to make ends meet. Maybe. I didn't see that movie.

I do like F is for Family, though.

Also, I am rolling on the floor, laughing my rear end off at the notion that Richard Pryor, George Carlin, and Andrew Dice Clay weren't trying to be edgy and push the envelope. They openly were doing just that. Yes, they were doing it for laughs, but especially George Carlin wanted to be edgy just to make you also think about things. He was openly making fun of Christianity and capitalism right in the faces of Christians and capitalists. It was edgy on purpose. Pryor and Clay were edgy on purpose too, but for less cerebral reasons.

I don't normally like doing point-by-point, but I wanted to separate that from...

Bioshuffle posted:

You don't get to invalidate someone's take just because you haven't experienced it. Height shaming is absolutely a thing, especially when it comes to dating. You are normalizing that type of behavior by refusing to acknowledge it.

https://www.huffingtonpost.co.uk/entry/i-felt-insecure-how-height-rejection-impacts-men_uk_5e26fc4bc5b674e44b9e3b69

Maybe I missed it, but the shaming element of that article mainly (if only) shows up in the intro, which is about how awful people are on one reality show, and they don't even call it height shaming--one person says that it doesn't bother him, but he can see how it's kind-of like fat shaming. The rest is about how different men think their height affects their dating chances. Not a great source to cite, but I guess it works?

So, I'll concede that height shaming is a thing. I'd never heard of it being an issue before; I was just making something ludicrous up based on an idiom (short-changed) I saw in a post. It was a joke that was meant to poke a little fun at how eager we are getting to point out and overreact to things that someone somewhere might find offensive, no matter how innocent or unintended the apparent slight was, and even when it only exists out-of-context or when willfully interpreting something wrong.

It didn't land like I wanted it to, but your take here is a bit extreme. Look, not everything you disagree with is an attack against you or something you believe in. Mistakes are made and ignorance rears its head, so maybe lighting a candle is a better idea than cursing darkness and accusing people of invalidating and normalizing things they are admitting to not knowing even exist?

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!

tarlibone posted:

Also, I am rolling on the floor, laughing my rear end off at the notion that Richard Pryor, George Carlin, and Andrew Dice Clay weren't trying to be edgy and push the envelope. They openly were doing just that. Yes, they were doing it for laughs, but especially George Carlin wanted to be edgy just to make you also think about things. He was openly making fun of Christianity and capitalism right in the faces of Christians and capitalists. It was edgy on purpose. Pryor and Clay were edgy on purpose too, but for less cerebral reasons.

And they absolutely lost bookings over it, hell, Lenny Bruce spent time in jail. Carrying the weight of your words is nothing new, it's just that now the length of time that they carry weight is longer and they're judged on a more progressive scale rather than a regressive one. Ultimately a comedian is an entertainer, and if they're not entertaining they're audience they're not going to get booked again. That's the only canceling taking place for comedians.

Bioshuffle
Feb 10, 2011

tarlibone posted:

So, I'll concede that height shaming is a thing. I'd never heard of it being an issue before
That's the only point I wanted to get across. It is an issue. Either way, this is the SNL thread and not height shaming 101, so I'll drop it. Just wanted to point out that shorter men do face discrimination and height shaming is absolutely a thing.

I think we're both in agreement about the comics I listed though. They all pushed the envelope and fought efforts from the opposing side to censor them. Hell, look at how much sexism female comics have to deal with. If you look at how people generally criticize female comics like Sarah Silverman or Amy Schumer, most of the criticism has to do with their gender or appearance, not their material.

Having said that, where does SNL stand in terms of pushing the envelope? I didn't start watching until the Will Ferrall era, but I was under the impression they usually play it safe.

I also think there's a difference between being canceled for predatory behavior (like that one musician who got bumped for partying without masks or pretty much anyone exposed by the metoo movement), versus being canceled for the things they say on stage. There's a really good clip floating around of Patric O'Neal defending the comic's right to try out offensive and potentially unfunny material on stage without worrying about being canceled.

Then again, there's the situation like the Kramer guy, where I don't feel bad for him at all. It's an interesting dichotomy.

Bioshuffle fucked around with this message at 16:22 on Oct 13, 2020

Veskit
Mar 2, 2005

The great irony in all this to me is how outraged white people were by this.

tarlibone
Aug 1, 2014

Am I a... bad person?
AM I??

Fun Shoe

Veskit posted:

The great irony in all this to me is how outraged white people were by this.

Ha. Pretty much.

Bioshuffle posted:

Having said that, where does SNL stand in terms of pushing the envelope? I didn't start watching until the Will Ferrall era, but I was under the impression they usually play it safe.

It depends on era, really. I've watched the show since the 1980s, and I've seen tons of reruns from the 70s. Back in the early seasons, they really pushed the envelope. They put Richard Pryor on to host the show, and trust me, there was some serious racial-themed humor. The kind of stuff that was touchy back then, and that you couldn't even fathom of doing nowadays. I mean, Chevy Chase looks right at Pryor and recites a list of racial slurs, including the one that you're thinking of at the end. None of it aged well, and some of the bits aged worse than others, but it was close to the edge. I think they had Carlin on there once or twice, too? They definitely pushed things in the early days.

It got dialed back by the 80s, of course, and honestly, I can't say that the comedy suffered. People say that the show was genius in the 70s and has been downhill since then, but that's because they only remember the good parts of the shows from the 70s. I've seen those episodes, and a lot of the sketches are an absolute slog to get through.

I don't think they've completely gotten away from being edgy, but it happens less often, and they are more careful about it. I mean, they put Louis C.K. and Bill Burr on the show. Sure, they didn't re-hire Louis after he Me Too'ed himself, but even when they did put him on, it was more than a little risky. He delivered monologues that made my wife and I look at each other and say, "They're gonna get letters about this one." Same with Bill Burr. They know what his brand is.

pwn
May 27, 2004

wow
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xwu78_xGiAg
Promo!

Wow
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ahHVEy797zs
Cut for Time!

Wow
Tonight’s Vintage: Tom Hanks with Keith Richards, the season 14 premiere from October 8 1988 :O Keep an eye out during Hanks’s monologue for appearances by writers Bob Odenkirk and Conan O’Brien :wow:

Zeluth
May 12, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
NBC dropping the pooch on this one.

carticket
Jun 28, 2005

white and gold.

Enough leaves have fallen off the trees and I can tune Boston NBC tonight.

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Pork Pro
:sigh:

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Pork Pro
makeup is on point this week, tho

Cyril Sneer
Aug 8, 2004

Life would be simple in the forest except for Cyril Sneer. And his life would be simple except for The Raccoons.
This is just boring.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Estimated time the opening credits roll: 12.10

BigBallChunkyTime
Nov 25, 2011

Kyle Schwarber: World Series hero, Beefy Lad, better than you.

Illegal Hen
Wow that Espstein bit.

pwn
May 27, 2004

I think what pisses me off most about Jim Carrey’s Biden is how he is a figment of a memory of The Onion’s Diamond Joe, the Joe Biden of ten years ago who never really quite existed as the caricature, rather than the sundowning dude who was propped up for this run by a party who is doing everything in their power to lose what should be the easiest win in American political history.

But whatever. If their dumb pudding-brain take helps at all to get this rear end in a top hat out of the white house, then bring it on

Zeluth
May 12, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
The event horizon.

BigBallChunkyTime
Nov 25, 2011

Kyle Schwarber: World Series hero, Beefy Lad, better than you.

Illegal Hen

Cyril Sneer posted:

This is just boring.

We're beyond parody at this point.

DaveWoo
Aug 14, 2004

Fun Shoe
Okay, Biden as Bob Ross got a laugh out of me.

pwn
May 27, 2004

EL BROMANCE posted:

Estimated time the opening credits roll: 12.10

Is 12.5 minutes close enough to give the man a prize

BoosterDuck
Mar 2, 2019
that was awful

Zeluth
May 12, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
I am going to say Heidi Gardner from now on instead of that woman from SNL.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

carticket
Jun 28, 2005

white and gold.

I like this monologue. It makes up for last week.