Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

tarlibone
Aug 1, 2014

Am I a... bad person?
AM I??

Fun Shoe

Mr. Powers posted:

Thanks to whomever suggested Ted Lasso. I am perfectly happy with Sudeikis being unavailable for this reason.

I only wish I could watch it. But I am not Appling my TV for one show, even if it's based on two hilarious long-form commercials meant to get Americans excited about Premiere League soccer coverage. (An English coworker of mine who dislikes what they call "football" absolutely adored the Lasso bits when I gave her the links to the YouTube videos a few years back.)

Anyway...

... I like Sudeikis' Biden better because of the manic energy he brought to the table. It was a caricature, obviously, but a fun one. "I have a long story about that, and it's problematic. OK, the year was nineteen hundred whoopsidaisy, and...." I love it. Carey seems to be relying on heavy prosthetic makeup to look the part, and he's doing a bit more of a straight-up impression of Biden. It's impressive as an impression, but I prefer Sudeikis' cartoonish version. I will say that Carey wears it better than Woody Harrelson, who like Carey seemed to rely on looks more than bringing anything interesting to the performance. Carey is going full Biden, where Woody was basically smiling with big, fake teeth and giving it the good ol' community college GED program try.

Honestly, I thought the episode was OK. I had several belly laughs, but there were some flat spots. Weekend Update was pretty good, and at least one of the jokes seems like the kind that Michael Che would force Colin Jost to read on the Christmas show.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tarlibone
Aug 1, 2014

Am I a... bad person?
AM I??

Fun Shoe
I knew how they were going to get a fly in there as soon as I saw the edge of the teleporter prop.

Technically he's a Bidenfly, but... nope, he's Brundlejoe.

tarlibone
Aug 1, 2014

Am I a... bad person?
AM I??

Fun Shoe

Veskit posted:

What is it called when Kevin Hart doesn't get to host the oscars? Did he get short changed or something?

Oh, so it's OK to make fun of the vertically challenged now?

Stop height-shaming the man. He's funny. Funnier than most comics, especially if you're looking at this LPIH.

tarlibone
Aug 1, 2014

Am I a... bad person?
AM I??

Fun Shoe

JazzFlight posted:

Err... isn't making fun of his height a huge part of Kevin Hart's comedy? Like a ton of his own jokes are poking fun about how he feels puny.

Being other than tall is something Mr. Hart can talk about because he identifies as such. He can make fun of himself. If anyone else does, even if they're quoting him verbatim, regardless of context, it's pretty much the worst thing ever. Before you blow a gasket, read the rest of the post.

Veskit posted:

Ohhh I thought this was farce...

Let me stop you right there. Unless the next bit of text in this post is something along the lines of, "..., and it was, so I'll just post that I got the joke!", then you might want to take another crack at it.

C'mon, folks. Have we really reached such a touchy point where even a pretty obviously sarcastic post could possibly be taken seriously? Did anyone bother to notice that I got "height-shaming" from the innocent (and unrelated to his physical height) use of the English idiom "short-changed?" Or that height-shaming isn't really a thing? (Not that I've heard of, anyway.) Or that I used LPIH as a unit of measurement? It stands for Laughs Per Inch in Height. I'm saying that even if he's technically as funny as a taller person, he's funnier per inch in height. Sure, it's not my best material, and my best material isn't that good, but what part of that post looked like it was anything other than absurd?

Besides, one of my favorite routines of his was where he pantomimed why he doesn't like sitting on bar stools. It wasn't because they don't offer back support. The dude's short, and it is indeed a part of his comedy.

tarlibone
Aug 1, 2014

Am I a... bad person?
AM I??

Fun Shoe

Bioshuffle posted:

Bill Burr reminds me early 2000s era forums, when everyone was super edgy and offensive. And if you didn't find that funny, you were a snowflake.

It is absolutely a thing though. Comedians should be allowed to talk about whatever they want to. Lenny Bruce, Richard Pryor, George Carlin, Andree Dice Clay, Patrice O'Neal, all those comics faced constant battles against censorship. Mind you, the ultimate goal wasn't to be edgy and push the envelope it was to make you laugh. Comedians should not be canceled for trying out new material.

This is how Bill Burr comes off to me, too, although I will confess that most of the time, he is a little bit further away from the line of what I consider horrible than many comedians of that type are. Emphasis on most of the time. He crosses the line here and there, but he's not the worst offender in that regard. It's more like grumpy old man humor. Like that movie where Dirty Harry yells at kids to get off his lawn, if that guy took half a chill pill and told jokes to make ends meet. Maybe. I didn't see that movie.

I do like F is for Family, though.

Also, I am rolling on the floor, laughing my rear end off at the notion that Richard Pryor, George Carlin, and Andrew Dice Clay weren't trying to be edgy and push the envelope. They openly were doing just that. Yes, they were doing it for laughs, but especially George Carlin wanted to be edgy just to make you also think about things. He was openly making fun of Christianity and capitalism right in the faces of Christians and capitalists. It was edgy on purpose. Pryor and Clay were edgy on purpose too, but for less cerebral reasons.

I don't normally like doing point-by-point, but I wanted to separate that from...

Bioshuffle posted:

You don't get to invalidate someone's take just because you haven't experienced it. Height shaming is absolutely a thing, especially when it comes to dating. You are normalizing that type of behavior by refusing to acknowledge it.

https://www.huffingtonpost.co.uk/entry/i-felt-insecure-how-height-rejection-impacts-men_uk_5e26fc4bc5b674e44b9e3b69

Maybe I missed it, but the shaming element of that article mainly (if only) shows up in the intro, which is about how awful people are on one reality show, and they don't even call it height shaming--one person says that it doesn't bother him, but he can see how it's kind-of like fat shaming. The rest is about how different men think their height affects their dating chances. Not a great source to cite, but I guess it works?

So, I'll concede that height shaming is a thing. I'd never heard of it being an issue before; I was just making something ludicrous up based on an idiom (short-changed) I saw in a post. It was a joke that was meant to poke a little fun at how eager we are getting to point out and overreact to things that someone somewhere might find offensive, no matter how innocent or unintended the apparent slight was, and even when it only exists out-of-context or when willfully interpreting something wrong.

It didn't land like I wanted it to, but your take here is a bit extreme. Look, not everything you disagree with is an attack against you or something you believe in. Mistakes are made and ignorance rears its head, so maybe lighting a candle is a better idea than cursing darkness and accusing people of invalidating and normalizing things they are admitting to not knowing even exist?

tarlibone
Aug 1, 2014

Am I a... bad person?
AM I??

Fun Shoe

Veskit posted:

The great irony in all this to me is how outraged white people were by this.

Ha. Pretty much.

Bioshuffle posted:

Having said that, where does SNL stand in terms of pushing the envelope? I didn't start watching until the Will Ferrall era, but I was under the impression they usually play it safe.

It depends on era, really. I've watched the show since the 1980s, and I've seen tons of reruns from the 70s. Back in the early seasons, they really pushed the envelope. They put Richard Pryor on to host the show, and trust me, there was some serious racial-themed humor. The kind of stuff that was touchy back then, and that you couldn't even fathom of doing nowadays. I mean, Chevy Chase looks right at Pryor and recites a list of racial slurs, including the one that you're thinking of at the end. None of it aged well, and some of the bits aged worse than others, but it was close to the edge. I think they had Carlin on there once or twice, too? They definitely pushed things in the early days.

It got dialed back by the 80s, of course, and honestly, I can't say that the comedy suffered. People say that the show was genius in the 70s and has been downhill since then, but that's because they only remember the good parts of the shows from the 70s. I've seen those episodes, and a lot of the sketches are an absolute slog to get through.

I don't think they've completely gotten away from being edgy, but it happens less often, and they are more careful about it. I mean, they put Louis C.K. and Bill Burr on the show. Sure, they didn't re-hire Louis after he Me Too'ed himself, but even when they did put him on, it was more than a little risky. He delivered monologues that made my wife and I look at each other and say, "They're gonna get letters about this one." Same with Bill Burr. They know what his brand is.

tarlibone
Aug 1, 2014

Am I a... bad person?
AM I??

Fun Shoe
Weekend Update stumbled a bit at first, but then stumbled and fell hard into hilarious. Toward the end, it was one knee slapper after another.

And this eBay commercial... hilarious. It should've been right after the monologue.

tarlibone
Aug 1, 2014

Am I a... bad person?
AM I??

Fun Shoe

BigBallChunkyTime posted:

To be fair, how do you make things any more ridiculous in a comedy show than they are right now in real life?

You can't, because for fiction to work, it has to be believable.

tarlibone
Aug 1, 2014

Am I a... bad person?
AM I??

Fun Shoe

enki42 posted:

Plus 90% of the fun of Diner Lobster was the ridiculous / surprise aspect of breaking into Les Mis from an OKish observational humour situation. Without the surprise, it loses its lustre pretty fast.

I think this is probably closer to 97% of the fun. This time around, as soon as I saw the setup, I knew it was going to be a musical, so I was just waiting for a request to be made that everyone would think was unwise, and... yep.

I was so happy to see Reese De'What again. I find all of those sketches pretty funny. I don't think any of them has topped the Casablanca alternate ending, which was pure genius, but they're always fun.

And Weekend Update was pretty fun, too. Honestly, when the episode was over, I wondered how that was possible because it didn't feel like I'd been watching NBC for three halves of an hour.

tarlibone
Aug 1, 2014

Am I a... bad person?
AM I??

Fun Shoe

mcbexx posted:

I'm still convinced they hired Lauren Holt to quietly phase out Aidy Bryant, hoping that no one will notice.

Has anyone seen them together in a scene that couldn't have had CGI added?

tarlibone
Aug 1, 2014

Am I a... bad person?
AM I??

Fun Shoe

pwn posted:

Celebrating 25 years of bravely fighting foo

I don't fight foo. That gets us nowhere.

I choose to pity the foo instead.

tarlibone
Aug 1, 2014

Am I a... bad person?
AM I??

Fun Shoe

Yup. It's funny because it's true.

tarlibone
Aug 1, 2014

Am I a... bad person?
AM I??

Fun Shoe
Watching news here in the STL.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tarlibone
Aug 1, 2014

Am I a... bad person?
AM I??

Fun Shoe

Vertical Lime posted:

they uploaded some more celebrity jeopardys on the snl youtube account

i'm partial to this one

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hKJZ9pzDMCk

I like that one a lot. If only they'd managed to put "The Rapists" in this one, it'd be perfect.

Fallon's impression of Sandler is really good.