Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

A golden helix streaked skyward from the Helvault. A thunderous explosion shattered the silver monolith and Avacyn emerged, free from her prison at last.

Dying to Kaizo blocks in Mario 1 is an accomplishment.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ninjoatse.cx
Apr 9, 2005

Fun Shoe

night slime posted:

Someone posted that clip in the other Switch thread. He's actually lucky to be in the maze level like that, since the Lakitus are harmless there at the top.

Probably the most irritating death I've gotten is hitting a hidden block trying to jump over a Goomba and dying because it messed up my trajectory. Happened at least twice now, major ptsd.

These were a thing put by there by design in the original.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

Are we all referring to the 2 (actually 4) hidden blocks in 1-4? That big lower area?

Edit: called out by the top comment...

Rupert Buttermilk fucked around with this message at 18:32 on Oct 5, 2020

Poque
Sep 11, 2003

=^-^=

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

Are we all referring to the 2 (actually 4) hidden blocks in 1-4? That big lower area?

I think there are actually six! I hit those all the time haha.

https://nesmaps.com/maps/SuperMarioBrothers/SuperMarioBrosWorld1-4Map.html

Never actually hit any of the ones on the higher level of hidden coins, but I hit the bottom ones all the time.

I love when I get 1-4 and nobody's on me - you can just SCREAM through the level and get to a Bowser.

night slime
May 14, 2014

UltraRed posted:

These were a thing put by there by design in the original.

Yeah true but they weren't nearly as frantic as this

DalaranJ
Apr 15, 2008

Yosuke will now die for you.
I just watch a clip of TMR beating 8-4 in Super Mario Bros. 35 (beating all stages appears not to do anything special, unfortunately), and learned something important.
The game does actually track which Bowser you beat, so starting with World 6-4 you can send a hammer throwing Bowser.

Too bad I'm stuck back here with only 3-2 unlocked.

Poque
Sep 11, 2003

=^-^=
I've unlocked through 5-4 so far. Somebody sent 8-4 at me but I died in it before I could complete it. :(

Need to really figure out the maze castles - I can definitely see those becoming a new meta. Looks like 8-4 is "first pipe AFTER each lava pit."

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

Takoluka posted:

Every 2nd place I've achieved has been from time outs, and the setups that are causing that for me are like in Tetris when your next piece is never the one you need.
I think one dude literally saw I was in 1-4 and just stopped killing enemies so I could never get time back. I hate it!!!!!!!!!

in fast red timer, take every pipe and vine you see and take damage while spamming the item roulette. damage, pipes, vines and power-ups all pause the timer. vines are best for this, though maybe don't use the 4-2 vine.

e: the level rotation is definitely getting better, 1-1 and 1-2 are still over-represented but i'm seeing a lot of world 4 now, even had an 8-1 match last night (won it before i finished the level sadly so no unlock).

by the way, absolutely play this with the snes or nes switch controller if at all possible. i'd even argue that if you think you'll play this a good amount but don't have one of those controllers, it's totally worth the investment. i tried both the sticks and d-pads of both the joycon and pro controller and none of them felt anywhere near as good as the snes controller, and i'd imagine the nes controller to be similar in usability.

DEEP STATE PLOT fucked around with this message at 22:03 on Oct 5, 2020

Poque
Sep 11, 2003

=^-^=
Any idea what triggers the occasional 2x boost to coins in the postgame bonus?

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

Poque posted:

Any idea what triggers the occasional 2x boost to coins in the postgame bonus?

It is apparently the "small Mario bonus", which is given to you if you started the game without buying a power up from the level select screen.

Edit: this detailed write-up should go in the OP (this is where I got the info about the small Mario bonus).

Poque
Sep 11, 2003

=^-^=

It is apparently the "small Mario bonus", which is given to you if you started the game without buying a power up from the level select screen.

Edit: this detailed write-up should go in the OP (this is where I got the info about the small Mario bonus).

Oh god this is so useful, thanks! Added the link to the OP. Will probably make it bigger or bolder at some point, haha. I guess with that small Mario bonus, the game is really just encouraging you to increase your stock of coins for no reason, heh, since the only thing you can buy are the game-starting powerups. Wish you could buy more icons or something.

Speaking of icons, is it just leveling up that gets you access to new ones? I wish that they were unlocked with achievements similar to Tetris 99, this game absolutely feels like it could be a more accessible achievement-hunter than some of T99's bullshit "get to the top 10 without any KOs three games in a row" ones.

I actually had a game start NOT on 1-1 last night!!! It was 1-2. Oh well, baby steps!

Al-Saqr
Nov 11, 2007

One Day I Will Return To Your Side.
I walked into this game laughing about how my epic gamer skills are going to wipe out all the stupid Zoomers but then I forgot which button is 'Jump' and died at the first Goomba.

I had to step outside for a while after that.

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead
I thought it was related to this. That was a really fun day.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eakO2w1U3nU

ninjoatse.cx
Apr 9, 2005

Fun Shoe

Scalding Coffee posted:

I thought it was related to this. That was a really fun day.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eakO2w1U3nU

Dunno what is this is, but I want it back!

ninjoatse.cx
Apr 9, 2005

Fun Shoe

Al-Saqr posted:

I walked into this game laughing about how my epic gamer skills are going to wipe out all the stupid Zoomers but then I forgot which button is 'Jump' and died at the first Goomba.

I had to step outside for a while after that.

I had to adjust the controls. I used the left thumbstick and the bottom 2 buttons to run and jump. I have a chinese brand nintendo controller for my PC. Not sure if I could rig it to work with the switch.

Poque
Sep 11, 2003

=^-^=
https://twitter.com/pox_please/status/1313663802764791808?s=19

My favorite win yet, I was just SCREAMING in my living room throughout this

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Some teeth long for ripping, gleaming wet from black dog gums. So you keep your eyes closed at the end. You don't want to see such a mouth up close. before the bite, before its oblivion in the goring of your soft parts, the speckled lips will curl back in a whinny of excitement. You just know it.
I have already achieved a Mario Royale, and thus as an official Nintendo Power™ Game Expert© I have the following opinions:

1) Force feedback on SMB1 is a profoundly weird experience.
2) I think the root cause of the endgame taking so goddamn long and being so boring is that there's too many ways to get rid of enemies without killing them. Anyone you offscreen or who plummets to their death without your intervention disappears and doesn't get sent on, so rather than the endgame being utter chaos as the last few people deal with every enemy anyone's ever seen all game, the pace slows way the gently caress down because all you gotta do is take an intentional hit, run away, and bam, you're reset to base level of enemies and it's just a game of who misses an easy jump first.

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

i've got everything up to 7-3 unlocked now. in doing so i discovered the magic of sending a hammer boweser to several people and then having that hammer bowser just continue multiplying. i got 3 kos last match spamming hammer bowsers at people where were in 2-4 and 5-4. highly recommended.

rox
Sep 7, 2016

just had my best match yet with a coin score of 3646 which was enough to net me a top 500 spot (for now) :D

im loving this so much. between this and crash 4, i am in platforming heaven.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

Should anyone still be confused as to exactly how to unlock levels, this pretty much spells it out:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sCoSqL2-434

The thing I don't see mentioned a lot, which is covered in this video, is while you can unlock levels ahead of the normal sequence by beating one that someone else added into the pool, you only get the next (properly ordered) level in your level list by having at least one clear (represented by those stars in each level preview) in all previous levels.

The video explains it better.

Edit: vvvv there ya go.

Rupert Buttermilk fucked around with this message at 14:57 on Oct 7, 2020

Poque
Sep 11, 2003

=^-^=
You unlock a level if you either beat it or have beaten all the levels before it.

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004
https://twitter.com/NintendoAmerica/status/1313841535457406976

Grapplejack
Nov 27, 2007

I stayed to watch one after getting sixth and the match literally went on for another eight and a half minutes

The permanent red timer needs to happen when you hit top 10

Poque
Sep 11, 2003

=^-^=

I'm not really sure what to make of a tweet from the 7th that says the event that starts on the 9th is live and also says that Thursday and Sunday are two days apart.

In any case, my weekend is set.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

I normally like Arlo, but this video... I mean, if you don't like it, you don't like it, and he's honest about how he doesn't really go in for the original Super Mario Bros. Ok, no problem... But a lot of his complaints come from not understanding how the game works whatsoever. Plus, he didn't play Tetris99 at all (again, which is fine), and of course means that he has no understanding of the targeting system.

Worst of all, he uploaded this, what, yesterday? All of these mechanics have been explained from various people well beforehand, so I really don't get why he (seemingly) didn't do any research for this, despite mentioning that he looked up to see if he could spend his coins on anything else other than power ups at startup.

Welp, anyway:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hP_D0gj8XfE

Edit: am I the only one getting the impression that Nintendo MIGHT be adding in extra enemies for that special battle? Doesn't Lakitu only show up at 4-1 and beyond? The tweet makes it seem like he'll be there earlier, maybe.

Poque
Sep 11, 2003

=^-^=

Edit: am I the only one getting the impression that Nintendo MIGHT be adding in extra enemies for that special battle? Doesn't Lakitu only show up at 4-1 and beyond? The tweet makes it seem like he'll be there earlier, maybe.

Only six stages rather than 20+ people choosing 1-1 and 1-2 makes it seem like the latest you could get 4-1 is the sixth stage. Throw in the warp zone of 1-2 and the worst case scenario for getting a Lakitu is 1-2 showing up 5th and 4-1 showing up sixth.

Or I guess the worst case would be 1-2 showing up 4th, 4-1 showing up 5th, and missing it by going to the warp zone.

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

i'm alright at this game

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe
i'm dogshit at this game but somehow it's still fun anyhow

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

Straight White Shark posted:

i'm dogshit at this game but somehow it's still fun anyhow

it's because mario is good

Coxswain Balls
Jun 4, 2001

Even 1-1 becomes a lot more fun once it turns into Lakitu Hell. I can't wait until enough people unlock later levels so Bullet Bills are flying in from all directions.

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

DEEP STATE PLOT posted:

it's because mario is good

honestly I've never enjoyed original SMB but there's a shared suffering element that makes it much more entertaining, on top of the general chaos

Poque
Sep 11, 2003

=^-^=

DEEP STATE PLOT posted:

i'm alright at this game

Niiice. I find myself getting 1s and 2s a lot - the 2s are usually from running out of time. Still haven't quite figured out my strategy when it's down to the final few people and everybody's playing a stupid time game.

Ready for LAKITU HELL SPECIAL EVENT like nothing before.

DalaranJ
Apr 15, 2008

I’m not sure how I feel about the fact that everyone is going to get 4-1. On one hand I’m bad at this game and I worked my rear end off to unlock it, on the other hand things are sure to become a lot more hilarious when 40% of the queue is 4-1.

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe
finally got my first win :toot:

coincidentally I did not run into 1-3, 3-3, or 4-3 a single time

these facts may or may not be related

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

V1.0.1 was just released, looks like it fixed something to do with enemies who weren't yet on screen entering the playing area. I didn't even realize that was a thing.

Coxswain Balls
Jun 4, 2001

V1.0.1 was just released, looks like it fixed something to do with enemies who weren't yet on screen entering the playing area. I didn't even realize that was a thing.

I wonder if that's why I just got a couple missions where there were almost no enemies. I got a 1-4 that I was able to sprint through because the only enemy was the Bowser at the end.

I finally got a hammer Bowser and sent a couple of them back, and on watching the replay that was definitely how I killed the #2 guy.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

Is the new special event up yet? If so, how is it?

Coxswain Balls
Jun 4, 2001

Mario 35 rewards cowardice in the face of adversity.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gbBzY-qR7NY

Is the new special event up yet? If so, how is it?

It's up. Way less 1-1 and 1-2, and enemies like Hammer Brothers and Lakitu show up way sooner which is fun.

DalaranJ
Apr 15, 2008

I'm seeing a lot of people spamming 1-3, and I'd like to say that's the cowards way out. We got a free ticket to 3-1 and 4-1 and I need my Super Mario 35 experience to be a disastrous minefield.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

i had a match last night in which the second level was 8-4.

the match ended before a single person beat 8-4. i wanna know how that happened since some science has shown that the level queue is sorted by player level with lowest first, aside from some shakeups to avoid the same level more than once in a row. i guess someone must have beat 8-4 in their first match or something, unlocking it, and chose it as their level, but it still seems totally insane. also the way the level queue works right now is poo poo and explains why 90% of the time it's 1-1 to 1-2 to 1-1 to 1-2, repeat for the first dozen levels.