Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

droll
Jan 9, 2020

by Azathoth
Am I the only one that gets lag sometimes (mostly unrecognized or delayed jump button recognition) that seems to be related to the other players? Meaning I can be lagging at the start then people lose and the lag disappears, or the opposite where as people disconnect, it can suddenly stop lagging. It's not my network.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

came back to this after a break. somehow the 1-1 and 1-2 spam actually seems to be even worse and the average player level seems to be lower, like i had a match last night where i was the only player above level 50 (which was the easiest win ever). this is disappointing, part of why i took a break was because i expected the inverse of both of those things by this point. game is still a ton of fun though.

Coxswain Balls
Jun 4, 2001

I stopped playing a while ago because while I was still doing "well", the endgame was always turning into strategies to game the clock which is more tedious than exciting. Went back to T99 and haven't looked back.

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe
Yeah, there's a fundamental problem in the way the game rewards you for efficiently grinding coins instead of doing things that are fun and exciting. At some point people stopped playing along with enemy spam in favor of conservatively avoiding enemies and farming coins and a lot of the joy left.

Takoluka
Jun 26, 2009

Don't look at me!

This is probably why the game is ending in March, honestly. They knew it wouldn't last.

Echo Chamber
Oct 16, 2008

best username/post combo
I did get a match this morning that went to level 8-3, I believe, right after 1-1, and I won the whole battle royale before reaching the third level.

Sarcastro
Dec 28, 2000
Elite member of the Grammar Nazi Squad that
I finally managed to complete all my levels - I thought there was some sort of award/bonus icon/etc. for doing that? Was I totally mistaken?

Anyway, still having fun with this from time to time. One error they made was having the "random" level choice not immediately obvious - it should have been the very first tile your cursor starts at, or simply the default. That would have helped with the 1-1/1-2 spam (although having lots of 1-2s isn't as bad because of the warp).

I've also had the thought that maybe they made this one limited time because there's no reason they can't do it with other games. Imagine this with SMB3 or SMW!

Poque
Sep 11, 2003

=^-^=

Sarcastro posted:

I've also had the thought that maybe they made this one limited time because there's no reason they can't do it with other games. Imagine this with SMB3 or SMW!

I think the biggest issue there is some of the auto-scrolling levels messing with time. I would 100% spam Tubular though.

Takoluka
Jun 26, 2009

Don't look at me!

Sarcastro posted:

I finally managed to complete all my levels - I thought there was some sort of award/bonus icon/etc. for doing that? Was I totally mistaken?

I believe if you hold L when going into games now, you can play as Luigi.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

Takoluka posted:

I believe if you hold L when going into games now, you can play as Luigi.

I'm pretty sure you have to be over a certain rank for that, maybe Star-1?

Takoluka
Jun 26, 2009

Don't look at me!

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

I'm pretty sure you have to be over a certain rank for that, maybe Star-1?

Possibly? I don't know when I started doing it, but it's always worked for me. Luckily, reaching that rank is easy.

Poque
Sep 11, 2003

=^-^=
I think you need to have the star rank and have all 32 stages unlocked.

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe
I believe it's specifically having all stages beaten, I was never able to get it work when I had 8-4 unlocked but not beaten.

Sarcastro
Dec 28, 2000
Elite member of the Grammar Nazi Squad that
Thanks, I'll try that. I am well into star-rank, so no issues there.

I'd forgotten about the later games having autoscroll levels - you're right that that's something that would have to be worked around. Easiest solution would be to just leave them out of the pool, but that's less fun (although they could just say "hey, we're only going to use 32 levels and that's just how it goes"). There's probably a way to balance it out with messing with how many seconds things add back to the clock during those levels.

Cithen
Mar 6, 2002

Pillbug
:rip:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ninjoatse.cx
Apr 9, 2005

Fun Shoe
Logged in on April 1st, unironically wanting to play, and discovered it was gone. RIP