Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
 
  • Post
  • Reply
Stoner Sloth
Apr 2, 2019



SniperWoreConverse posted:

The toughs from outside open the door, step in, and yank the arrows out.


"Payment, eh?" they clap their hands on whatever your shoulder-equivalent is and wave the still-sharp arrows towards your eyeballs suggestively.
The tavern keeping guy is like "What the gently caress if you wanna kill each other fine just don't bust up the joint anymore than it is," and the two guys are like "cmon tom we're just fuckin' around here you don't gotta cry about it" and they go give the arrows back to their owners and sit at the bar. Even though it's like 9am or whatever. This is the kind of place that doesn't even have stools at the bar itself so nobody gives a poo poo.

>>Marlowe rolls their eyes at the bouncers. It's frankly an impressive display, iconic of this particular gesture. They seem utterly unfazed by the two bouncers, having seen their approach (sneaking up on a beholder not really being an option) and decided to politely not disintegrate them in the service of inter species harmony and not causing yet another problem they'd have to explain. When they let up though Marlowe doesn't seem to bare a grudge at least and nods to Tom "No hard feelings fellas, round of shots for them and anyone that wants. My shout, should make up for ya door's added character... and I'll take two given the mornin' I've had."

>>Well at least it should mean that Tog, Naem and Dr Night should be able to join them with relative ease now.

SniperWoreConverse posted:

Von's all "well what do you want then?"

>> Getting back to the matter at hand while they wait for their drinks to be poured, the detective replies "Well believe we talked about trainin' for me and my crew... if that's too much bother then cash is always appreciated but given the quarry we're goin' after trainin' is probably more helpful."

>>Following the reply to Von, they move in closer to avoid the next bit being overheard by the bar staff and others "One more thing... cats at the Temple of Justice said that someone or something has been murderin' guards and paladins on the roads around Xoma. They wanted us to look into that, not sayin' we should let it distract us, but might be best to anticipate trouble when we do get movin' and we could at least say we'll look into it to help get 'em on side and any info they might have on that particular threat. Anyway if we are goin' after this vampire they offered to give us a crash course in bloodsucker huntin' so after we're finished here we should head over there and get that outta the way. Figure it'd help us wrap things up here quicker so we can get after the bastard what did Corno in."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hipster Occultist
Aug 16, 2008

He's an ancient, obscure god. You probably haven't heard of him.




Tog finishes off the last of the chilli dogs he found in the cart and burps contentedly. He'd have to thank whomever had the foresight to purchase them. The others seemed to be taking an awful lot of time in the tavern, so he decides to take a look and see what's holding them up.

SniperWoreConverse
Mar 20, 2010







Gun Saliva

reignofevil posted:

>>Ighty faces his most pressing disaster yet!

>>Beelzebug got into the leftover chili dogs

Hipster Occultist posted:

Tog finishes off the last of the chilli dogs he found in the cart and burps contentedly. He'd have to thank whomever had the foresight to purchase them. The others seemed to be taking an awful lot of time in the tavern, so he decides to take a look and see what's holding them up.

The bug is crazed on chili and smells dogs so it chomps at your ankles, trying to get you to give up the meats!


Stoner Sloth posted:

>> Getting back to the matter at hand while they wait for their drinks to be poured, the detective replies "Well believe we talked about trainin' for me and my crew... if that's too much bother then cash is always appreciated but given the quarry we're goin' after trainin' is probably more helpful."

"Yeah, what do you want? Trained in what?"

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

i like cats


>>With a sigh Baker heads over to the door again to get Tog, Ighty, and Naem. "Guys, we're having an important meeting in here, stop loving around."

clockwork chaos
Sep 15, 2009






>> Rozalin butts in, as she is wont to do, "ooh ooh, wai' no, see th' typical choice i'd wanna ge' is more damage, more carnage an' th' like, bu' i could ge' tha' anywhere, right? i wanna learn somethin' special, somethin' cool an' badass only ya elite team of -Zlata-adjacent- warriors can teach me!
ya know, as long as it doesn't take too much a ya time, that is."

>> Booting the beholder out of the way, she does an attempt at an invisible curtsy due to her lack of... curtsy-able clothing and grins like a kid in a candy shop.

Hipster Occultist
Aug 16, 2008

He's an ancient, obscure god. You probably haven't heard of him.




Tog apologizes to the beetle, no more chilidogs he says before heading inside the tavern to meet with the others.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

i like cats


clockwork chaos posted:

>> Rozalin butts in, as she is wont to do, "ooh ooh, wai' no, see th' typical choice i'd wanna ge' is more damage, more carnage an' th' like, bu' i could ge' tha' anywhere, right? i wanna learn somethin' special, somethin' cool an' badass only ya elite team of -Zlata-adjacent- warriors can teach me!
ya know, as long as it doesn't take too much a ya time, that is."

>> Booting the beholder out of the way, she does an attempt at an invisible curtsy due to her lack of... curtsy-able clothing and grins like a kid in a candy shop.

>>"That sounds fun."

>>"If we're making a wish list, I can always use more baking tips. But on the off chance your crew doesn't have a master baker on staff I guess I could use some training in stabbing things. I don't have much experience with the stabbing. Sometimes things need to be stabbed."

reignofevil
Nov 7, 2008


Sometimes you gotta break the rules.


>> Ighty is still sitting on the wagon next to beelzebeetle. He leans in close-

>>'This isn't over...' He whispers, and the beetle kinda nods.

>>Ighty is gonna walk in the tavern behind Tog

Stoner Sloth
Apr 2, 2019



SniperWoreConverse posted:

The bug is crazed on chili and smells dogs so it chomps at your ankles, trying to get you to give up the meats!


"Yeah, what do you want? Trained in what?"

>>After being rudely booted out of the way the beholder says "Well if this is payment for that info I gave ya too... wouldn't mind if ya taught Roz here some bloody manners. As for me, dunno... ya got anyone that can teach better flight skills? If not that's alright, ritual magic training or somethin' like that'd be good too."

>>After saying this they hover over a little towards the bar and beam the two shots they ordered over, gulping one and then the other down easily before floating the shotglasses back to the bar "Thanks Tom." they comment. Clearly the detective is an experienced drunk if nothing else.

Stoner Sloth fucked around with this message at 02:22 on Apr 20, 2021

SniperWoreConverse
Mar 20, 2010







Gun Saliva

clockwork chaos posted:

>> Rozalin butts in, as she is wont to do, "ooh ooh, wai' no, see th' typical choice i'd wanna ge' is more damage, more carnage an' th' like, bu' i could ge' tha' anywhere, right? i wanna learn somethin' special, somethin' cool an' badass only ya elite team of -Zlata-adjacent- warriors can teach me!
ya know, as long as it doesn't take too much a ya time, that is."

>> Booting the beholder out of the way, she does an attempt at an invisible curtsy due to her lack of... curtsy-able clothing and grins like a kid in a candy shop.

"Uuuuh... like riding a horse? Basically we have to just know how to fight, how to ride, how to look impressive and about to fight and ride, and how to help run the estate."


Facebook Aunt posted:

>>"That sounds fun."

>>"If we're making a wish list, I can always use more baking tips. But on the off chance your crew doesn't have a master baker on staff I guess I could use some training in stabbing things. I don't have much experience with the stabbing. Sometimes things need to be stabbed."

They know only basic cooking that you've already totally outclassed. Stabbing, they can do.


Stoner Sloth posted:

>>After being rudely booted out of the way the beholder says "Well if this is payment for that info I gave ya too... wouldn't mind if ya taught Roz here some bloody manners. As for me, dunno... ya got anyone that can teach better flight skills? If not that's alright, ritual magic training or somethin' like that'd be good too."

>>After saying this they hover over a little towards the bar and beam the two shots they ordered over, gulping one and then the other down easily before floating the shotglasses back to the bar "Thanks Tom." they comment. Clearly the detective is an experienced drunk if nothing else.

Von deadpans, "Yeah I fly all the time. Every day."
One of the guys from outside waves his a hand over the booze and brings it close to his face. "~Hocus pocus, diplodocus~"
The shot erupts into green and blue flames and he quickly puts it out with the palm of his hand. "Pff, if you don't already know rituals."
"Suerius you're so full of poo poo," Rachna cautions you to ignore his mumbo jumbo.


reignofevil posted:

>> Ighty is still sitting on the wagon next to beelzebeetle. He leans in close-

>>'This isn't over...' He whispers, and the beetle kinda nods.

>>Ighty is gonna walk in the tavern behind Tog

The beetle nods and clicks his mandibles while rubbing his claws over his eyeballs. He's either pulling the bug version of "mwuahahaha, soon. Soon! ahahaha!" or just cleaning himself

Stoner Sloth
Apr 2, 2019



SniperWoreConverse posted:

Von deadpans, "Yeah I fly all the time. Every day."
One of the guys from outside waves his a hand over the booze and brings it close to his face. "~Hocus pocus, diplodocus~"
The shot erupts into green and blue flames and he quickly puts it out with the palm of his hand. "Pff, if you don't already know rituals."
"Suerius you're so full of poo poo," Rachna cautions you to ignore his mumbo jumbo.

>>Marlowe laughs and replies "Alright... hmmm... well maybe some dodging skills - this is not an invitation to shoot at me - or quickness, general magic or even tracking skills. Other than that maybe just pay me in cash and I'll figure out the trainin' myself?" to give them some options depending on what they know.

naem
May 29, 2011



Naem nods to the beetle “You an’ me both ladd!!”

SniperWoreConverse
Mar 20, 2010







Gun Saliva

Stoner Sloth posted:

>>Marlowe laughs and replies "Alright... hmmm... well maybe some dodging skills - this is not an invitation to shoot at me - or quickness, general magic or even tracking skills. Other than that maybe just pay me in cash and I'll figure out the trainin' myself?" to give them some options depending on what they know.

they can do stuff like quickness or tracking or dodging but they won't do magic

also it will take at least one week to learn their secret techniques


naem posted:

Naem nods to the beetle “You an’ me both ladd!!”



yes you get the feeling the bug intends to make things a beetle bit more interesting

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

i like cats


>>To Von, "If this is going to be a huge hassle for you, we also take coin. A finder's fee, if you like. The mimic ran off before Marlowe or I joined the group, but I hear he was a real combat monster. Plus he was a loving mimic, you could have walked past him a hundred times and never seen him. He could be one of those ale barrels and we'd never know. Maybe with scrying magic you could have tracked him down, but it would have taken months and he might have maimed and killed some of your guys. Even then we'd be owed something for telling you Sam was the one who stole it."

"Instead Roz got it from him, and handed it over nice and easy. Okay, maybe she should have done more to track down the owner a couple weeks ago, but" lowering her voice, "she's not a big planner, right?" Back to normal volume, "The fact is we didn't know anyone was even looking for the thing, you're the first folks to ask. The fact that she carries a giant bloody axe instead of using the maul is pretty compelling evidence that she never intended to keep the maul for herself. It's obviously worth a bloody fortune and she didn't try to sell it either. She could have skedaddled back to Frigg and sold it no problem."

"We have saved you a ton of time, a ton of work, and the very real chance of getting your dudes getting chomped by a mimic. We're not unreasonable though, and we like being on a noble's good side. A standard finder's fee of 15% of the item's value would be a fair resolution of this matter."

>>Baker Mercantile's as hard as she can.

SniperWoreConverse
Mar 20, 2010







Gun Saliva

Facebook Aunt posted:

>Maybe with scrying magic

rolling perception... 24
Von gets a real weird look in his eye when you mention this


Facebook Aunt posted:

>>Baker Mercantile's as hard as she can.

... 2
"Yeah you know I was gonna say let's have the boss figure it out but you know what here's a sack of coins to get you guys to gently caress off. No offence but this is kinda getting to be a lot."

You guys hear the sound of hooves outside, only Naem is out there to see what's going on tho.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

i like cats


SniperWoreConverse posted:

"Yeah you know I was gonna say let's have the boss figure it out but you know what here's a sack of coins to get you guys to gently caress off. No offence but this is kinda getting to be a lot."

>>"How many coins, Von?"

>>Baker gets a little distracted by a big spider web in the corner of the dive bar, wanders over and winds it up into a ball. Sticks it in her pocket.

Stoner Sloth
Apr 2, 2019



SniperWoreConverse posted:

rolling perception... 24
Von gets a real weird look in his eye when you mention this


... 2
"Yeah you know I was gonna say let's have the boss figure it out but you know what here's a sack of coins to get you guys to gently caress off. No offence but this is kinda getting to be a lot."

You guys hear the sound of hooves outside, only Naem is out there to see what's going on tho.

>>Marlowe fortunately has at least one eye trained on Von, sheerly through probability really, and will attempt to elucidate the meaning of the weird look via detectivization - mostly out of casual interest.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

i like cats


>>Baker goes back to the table and picks up the bag. Looks inside. Does a quick count/estimate.

I sure hope the bag isn't a trap.

naem
May 29, 2011



“Hooves!” Naem dwarfs to the beetle

reignofevil
Nov 7, 2008


Sometimes you gotta break the rules.


>>Ighty is trying to look like he cares about the training or the money or the Corno or the meeting or the magic-resistant-maul or the people Roz is talking to.... But he isn't very successful. Instead he just finds himself thinking about whether this is one of the many establishments he owes money to.

>>A brief glance at the tavern-keep's face says everything he needs to know. It is.

clockwork chaos
Sep 15, 2009






>> Rozalin trusts Baker with that big, hefty bag of coin, the jingling of which is music to her ears. In any other situation, she'd be all over that money - but she's kinda busy trying to placate Zlata's associates and being overly friendly.

>> The sound of hooves is strange though, especially in this part of town and the last time Roz went up against a hoofed creature, it didn't turn out too great. She excuses herself to go outside to maybe help her nerves and smoke another cigar. A gentle pat to Beelzebug and a nod to the dwarf as she looks around for who hoofin' this early in the morning.

Hipster Occultist
Aug 16, 2008

He's an ancient, obscure god. You probably haven't heard of him.




Tog takes a look back outside, looking for whatever made those odd sounds

SniperWoreConverse
Mar 20, 2010







Gun Saliva

Suerius has ordered some bbq for breakfast and is sloppily eating it. Misha poaches some off him and he doesn't give a poo poo. "So Tom, what is this, rat?" The inkeep spits without answering. "Ok so possum?"


naem posted:

“Hooves!” Naem dwarfs to the beetle

Hipster Occultist posted:

Tog takes a look back outside, looking for whatever made those odd sounds

There's a chick riding a very large deer who pulls up to the door and then open palm slams her way into the tavern


Facebook Aunt posted:

>>Baker goes back to the table and picks up the bag. Looks inside. Does a quick count/estimate.

I sure hope the bag isn't a trap.

Nah its's raw money, basically a similar amount to how you guys got paid for killing the snake


reignofevil posted:

>>Ighty is trying to look like he cares about the training or the money or the Corno or the meeting or the magic-resistant-maul or the people Roz is talking to.... But he isn't very successful. Instead he just finds himself thinking about whether this is one of the many establishments he owes money to.

>>A brief glance at the tavern-keep's face says everything he needs to know. It is.

Tom leans over the bar. "Ah yes, Dr Night, come to pay your debts for once? Oor maybe just piss me off even more?" He looks like he might spit again.


clockwork chaos posted:

>> Rozalin trusts Baker with that big, hefty bag of coin, the jingling of which is music to her ears. In any other situation, she'd be all over that money - but she's kinda busy trying to placate Zlata's associates and being overly friendly.

>> The sound of hooves is strange though, especially in this part of town and the last time Roz went up against a hoofed creature, it didn't turn out too great. She excuses herself to go outside to maybe help her nerves and smoke another cigar. A gentle pat to Beelzebug and a nod to the dwarf as she looks around for who hoofin' this early in the morning.

It's 100% the algir and it's being ridden by Vail, the chick who just ran your maul somewhere across the city, and she smoothly dismounts and slams the door open. Inside she immediately sees Von with the bag of cash. "HOLD UP -- Von, what's all this?"

The beast squints at Roz and belts out a chuffing grunt. You realize Vail, and especially the creature, but a little less everyone else who's part of this group -- they all at least subtlety smell like fenland, if not absolutely reek like it like the algir does. Some ointment has been applied to the creature's snout recently. It doesn't look friendly. Suerius stumbles out past Vail like he's mildly drunk (probably he actually is a little drunk) and offers it a bone which it begins to crunch and devour -- both greedily and warily. It maintains eye contact with you guys as if you try to pull any bullshit it will not put up with it at all.

There's a chittering sound and an enormous squirrel clambers down to the eves of the tavern and starts cheeping at Suerius.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

i like cats


>>This looks uncertain, so Baker snatches the bag while everyone is looking at the newcomers.

>>"Hey, welcome back. Von was just paying our finders fee, as promised. Marlowe found Corno, as promised. As a bonus that led to Roz, who had the very item you were looking for and was keeping it safe for you. She had hoped to present it to your boss directly, but since you are here on her behalf and you asked for it she was happy to help out."

>>"And she did help out. She got the mace away from the mimic who stole it before he ran outta town. I never met the mimic myself, but I hear he was a real combat monster. He could be a chest, a wagon, a suit of armor, basically anything, anywhere, any time. The guy was a total ghost. Tracking him down yourself could have taken months and since he always attacks from ambush you could easily have lost some good men. I'm not sure what would have happened if you killed him with the mace "inside" but it could have been lost forever."

>>"Your man here agreed that a Finder's Fee was entirely reasonable for the time and effort we saved you. A pleasure doing business with you."

>>"If you need to find us later we're working with the Inquisition now, so just check in with them and they should be able to tell you where we are."

Stoner Sloth
Apr 2, 2019



>>"Was also payment for information provided as well as setting up the meet... I mean the agreement was for payment in cash or advanced training but since the latter seemed short on the ground, money was the easier way to resolve the debt." the beholder comments neutrally, still checking out the new arrivals and everyone else in the place as they add "The maul was business between Roz and you... didn't even know she had the thing really and nothing to do with me."

>>"Nice algir by the way... never seen one up close." they, having read the manual, add after a brief pause to take a puff on their cigar. Exhaling it slowly the beholder floats on over towards the bar as if to order another drink - still watching everyone in the room and on a whim deciding to Detect Magic in the area.

SniperWoreConverse
Mar 20, 2010







Gun Saliva

Stoner Sloth posted:

>>"Was also payment for information provided as well as setting up the meet... I mean the agreement was for payment in cash or advanced training but since the latter seemed short on the ground, money was the easier way to resolve the debt." the beholder comments neutrally, still checking out the new arrivals and everyone else in the place as they add "The maul was business between Roz and you... didn't even know she had the thing really and nothing to do with me."

>>"Nice algir by the way... never seen one up close." they, having read the manual, add after a brief pause to take a puff on their cigar. Exhaling it slowly the beholder floats on over towards the bar as if to order another drink - still watching everyone in the room and on a whim deciding to Detect Magic in the area.

... earlier you were lik e "oh poo poo was von secretly some form or mage what is with the weird look"... 36
possibly he either is or knows someone who is totally able to scry the magical werld and know all kinds of premonitions

rolling detect magic ... 49
there's a potent source of magical energy outisde like it's a pretty big one

meanwhile Vail narrows her eyes at baker and is considering things

SniperWoreConverse
Mar 20, 2010







Gun Saliva

everyone and everything is narrowing any available eyes at everyone else for any reason at this point

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

i like cats


SniperWoreConverse posted:

everyone and everything is narrowing any available eyes at everyone else for any reason at this point

Hipster Occultist
Aug 16, 2008

He's an ancient, obscure god. You probably haven't heard of him.




Tog narrows his eyes so much they actually close.

Seconds later he slumps against the wall and begins to snore, loudly and in fits and starts.

Stoner Sloth
Apr 2, 2019



SniperWoreConverse posted:

everyone and everything is narrowing any available eyes at everyone else for any reason at this point

clockwork chaos
Sep 15, 2009








>> Roz sees the goat nemesis, gulps loudly, and walks back inside carefully backwards, eyes on the beast at all times.
of course it'd be theirs gently caress gently caress gently caress. no it's cool, they don't know it was me. maybe. hopefully

>> Everyone seems pretty tense, so Roz sits at the bar, orders some of what the others are having, and tries her best to ignore the thick tension in the air.
She leans to the others at the bar an dives I to conversation, "righ', well like i said, 'm always willin' to 'elp if'n it's f'Zlata, y'know she's me 'ero? actually got t'see 'er once, in th'flesh even. 'course wuz on the curse' island, an' she's ridin' a grea' big 'onkin' lizard." She sighs wistfully into her breakfast. good times.

naem
May 29, 2011



“Nice horsey!!” Naem says to the Algier

[OOC] https://youtu.be/m-7VoR1Aets [/OOC]

Stoner Sloth
Apr 2, 2019



>>Marlowe takes advantage of the slow passage of narrowed eye moments to order a bottle of Tom's strongest alcohol to go, still watching and ready to interact as they remove the lit cigar from their mouth and take a long swig of booze. The detective seems to enjoy, or maybe require, the burning sensation of the near pure ethanol, swishing it around their maw as if to clean their double rows of hideous fangs while they wait for the new arrival to make their intentions known.

>>While 9 of their eyes glance around them, a single eyestalk remains carefully trained on themself, one closest to the corner of the bar and sheltered by the bulk of their orblike body from the view of the rest of the inn.

Stoner Sloth fucked around with this message at 15:03 on Apr 27, 2021

SniperWoreConverse
Mar 20, 2010







Gun Saliva

Hipster Occultist posted:

Tog narrows his eyes so much they actually close.

Seconds later he slumps against the wall and begins to snore, loudly and in fits and starts.

Diot Vail also squits while full of suspicion, but Von assures her that once you guys get paid off there's no more bullshit and she doesn't need to worry about getting bogged down by training buffoons. Vail's just happy nothing untowards is going down and that her people are fine, and she decides to leave. "Wrap it up, we did what we needed to do."

The brunch drinking squad starts paying their tabs and Suerius shambolically stumbles towards the outside. Vail grabs a beer and also heads towards the exit.


clockwork chaos posted:



>> Roz sees the goat nemesis, gulps loudly, and walks back inside carefully backwards, eyes on the beast at all times.
of course it'd be theirs gently caress gently caress gently caress. no it's cool, they don't know it was me. maybe. hopefully

>> Everyone seems pretty tense, so Roz sits at the bar, orders some of what the others are having, and tries her best to ignore the thick tension in the air.
She leans to the others at the bar an dives I to conversation, "righ', well like i said, 'm always willin' to 'elp if'n it's f'Zlata, y'know she's me 'ero? actually got t'see 'er once, in th'flesh even. 'course wuz on the curse' island, an' she's ridin' a grea' big 'onkin' lizard." She sighs wistfully into her breakfast. good times.

19
Vail's crew commiserates drunkenly but it seems like they don't really see Zlata as a hero but instead as a real good boss.
"Wait what the gently caress type lizard are you talking about??"


naem posted:

“Nice horsey!!” Naem says to the Algier

[OOC] https://youtu.be/m-7VoR1Aets [/OOC]

... -8
The horsie is NOT a horsie and NOT nice and NOT having any type of bullshit today. The very second you start talking to it it starts to get agressive and before you're done saying a word it starts growling and within 1 extra second is slam jamming it's powerful antlers and hooves into the wagon, splinters flying and everything. The beetle is snipping it's snops and gnashing its mandibles in dismay and this monster is 100% going to flip the wagon over and probably crush it into toothpicks unless someone else gets involved.


Stoner Sloth posted:

>>Marlowe takes advantage of the slow passage of narrowed eye moments to order a bottle of Tom's strongest alcohol to go, still watching and ready to interact as they remove the lit cigar from their mouth and take a long swig of booze. The detective seems to enjoy, or maybe require, the burning sensation of the near pure ethanol, swishing it around their maw as if to clean their double rows of hideous fangs while they wait for the new arrival to make their intentions known.

>>While 9 of their eyes glance around them, a single eyestalk remains carefully trained on themself, one closest to the corner of the bar and sheltered by the bulk of their orblike body from the view of the rest of the inn.

41

I read this like 4 times and feel like i understood it less every time. I have no idea what it is man but Vail's guys are like "jesus christ what is with the PI?" They don't say it out loud but you're starting to creep them out with your massive teeths and hard core hard drinking lifestyle. Even though like 1/3 of them are seriously drunk themselves.

Your detective senses indicate that Vail's people are on good terms with Tom but aren't soul brothers or anything. Vail herself is at this point ready to pull everyone from the situation and just straight up leave Xoma completely. Vail is the de facto boss of these people, and she doesn't seem to know anything about the vampire or that Corno's undead or murders or really anything. Very task-focused. Besides nobody has had a chance to fill her in.

Corno is himself still seated at the table alone and kind of absent mindedly rubbing his head.

Von is posted up and hands Baker the enormous sack of money.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

i like cats


Hipster Occultist posted:

Tog narrows his eyes so much they actually close.

Seconds later he slumps against the wall and begins to snore, loudly and in fits and starts.

>>Clutching her the party's sack of precious coin, "Hey Tog, wake up, I think Murphy might be in trouble out there. There's a ruckus with the animals."

Stoner Sloth
Apr 2, 2019



SniperWoreConverse posted:

41

I read this like 4 times and feel like i understood it less every time. I have no idea what it is man but Vail's guys are like "jesus christ what is with the PI?" They don't say it out loud but you're starting to creep them out with your massive teeths and hard core hard drinking lifestyle. Even though like 1/3 of them are seriously drunk themselves.

Your detective senses indicate that Vail's people are on good terms with Tom but aren't soul brothers or anything. Vail herself is at this point ready to pull everyone from the situation and just straight up leave Xoma completely. Vail is the de facto boss of these people, and she doesn't seem to know anything about the vampire or that Corno's undead or murders or really anything. Very task-focused. Besides nobody has had a chance to fill her in.

((Basically Marlowe went to the bar and grabbed a bottle, took a huge swig and kept the alcohol in their mouth a moment. Most of their eyes were keeping watch on the room but one ( their smoke form eye ) was hidden from view of the rest of the bar and staring at themself ready to go. Detective was ready to respond if Vail had attacked but not yet doing anything aggressive other than drinking.))'

>>Once reassured that the new arrival isn't about to start an attack, Marlowe swallows the eel juice in one long gulp, and grins at the barman toothsomely. At least the gruesome rictus doesn't seem to portend any aggression on their part. On the other hand the fact that the detective thinks this is what a genuine smile should look like is somehow worse, both creepier and sadder, than any grimace of anger would have been.

>>Breathing out an almost steaming breath of alcohol vapour, fortunately away from the floating cigar, the beholder remains silent a moment - just watching the place and trying process the large amount of booze they just swallowed. Upon registering the splintering noises, a couple of eyes tilt in the direction of the wagon and the detective politely requests of Vail "Sorry ta bother ya ma'am, but can ya reign in ya algir?" but remains facing the bar, knocking back another swig albeit a much smaller and more reasonable one, to steady their nerves (and their rampant paranoia).

Stoner Sloth fucked around with this message at 14:25 on Apr 28, 2021

Hipster Occultist
Aug 16, 2008

He's an ancient, obscure god. You probably haven't heard of him.




Tog snorts awake in a start and rushes outside.

Upon seeing the ruckus at play, he GIRDS HIS LIONS and jumps into action, unhooking Murphy and the Beetle and leading them away from the wagon before that crazy deer thing hurts them both.

Hipster Occultist fucked around with this message at 19:01 on Apr 28, 2021

clockwork chaos
Sep 15, 2009






SniperWoreConverse posted:

19
Vail's crew commiserates drunkenly but it seems like they don't really see Zlata as a hero but instead as a real good boss.
"Wait what the gently caress type lizard are you talking about??"

>> Rozalin leans over, eager to continue bragging and deaf to the world around her, "i ain't gotta keen eye f'inspectin' lizards an' th'like, wuz kinda... distracted. wuz some sor'a 'onkin' lizard, as in it made 'onkin' noises, i think - anyway she wuz brilliant tho', jus' all-around amazin' astride it.
aside from th' fuckin' plan'asaurus tha' attacked tha' day, it wuz an alrigh' day. fuckin' plantbeas' tho, was a righ' nasty one, tha'. brough' it's 'ead to the 'unter's guild an' everythin'."

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

i like cats


>>"Okay, we should get going. Nice doing business with you. Come on guys, we're burning daylight." Baker heads out the door.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SniperWoreConverse
Mar 20, 2010







Gun Saliva

Stoner Sloth posted:

((Basically Marlowe went to the bar and grabbed a bottle, took a huge swig and kept the alcohol in their mouth a moment. Most of their eyes were keeping watch on the room but one ( their smoke form eye ) was hidden from view of the rest of the bar and staring at themself ready to go. Detective was ready to respond if Vail had attacked but not yet doing anything aggressive other than drinking.))'

>>Once reassured that the new arrival isn't about to start an attack, Marlowe swallows the eel juice in one long gulp, and grins at the barman toothsomely. At least the gruesome rictus doesn't seem to portend any aggression on their part. On the other hand the fact that the detective thinks this is what a genuine smile should look like is somehow worse, both creepier and sadder, than any grimace of anger would have been.

>>Breathing out an almost steaming breath of alcohol vapour, fortunately away from the floating cigar, the beholder remains silent a moment - just watching the place and trying process the large amount of booze they just swallowed. Upon registering the splintering noises, a couple of eyes tilt in the direction of the wagon and the detective politely requests of Vail "Sorry ta bother ya ma'am, but can ya reign in ya algir?" but remains facing the bar, knocking back another swig albeit a much smaller and more reasonable one, to steady their nerves (and their rampant paranoia).

Vail thanks you guys for your assistance in this matter and decides to leave. She's apparently v busy.


Hipster Occultist posted:

Tog snorts awake in a start and rushes outside.

Upon seeing the ruckus at play, he GIRDS HIS LIONS and jumps into action, unhooking Murphy and the Beetle and leading them away from the wagon before that crazy deer thing hurts them both.

you successfully snag the beasts and bail away while the deer starts to work itself into a frenzy. Probably unless someone steps in it's gonna gently caress up your wagon pretty good and maybe the people who're in it


clockwork chaos posted:

>> Rozalin leans over, eager to continue bragging and deaf to the world around her, "i ain't gotta keen eye f'inspectin' lizards an' th'like, wuz kinda... distracted. wuz some sor'a 'onkin' lizard, as in it made 'onkin' noises, i think - anyway she wuz brilliant tho', jus' all-around amazin' astride it.
aside from th' fuckin' plan'asaurus tha' attacked tha' day, it wuz an alrigh' day. fuckin' plantbeas' tho, was a righ' nasty one, tha'. brough' it's 'ead to the 'unter's guild an' everythin'."

"What kind of plantasaurus?" apparently they've fought one before. The key is fire. And polearms. And staying mobile.

  • 1
  • 2
  • 3
  • 4
  • 5
  • Post
  • Reply