Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SniperWoreConverse
Mar 20, 2010

Gun Saliva

clockwork chaos posted:

>> Rozz shrugs, "good enough for me," and walks into town with the mimicwagon. Her main goal is to sell the bat remains and purchase more camping supplies if available, then ask around for odd jobs and hopefully not get mugged again.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0F0hQLdvc8o
you guys are able to haggle a price for the bat wings but the merchants dog you a little on the prices. After replacing the stuff the bats wrecked you still have some BIG MONEY tho, 80 coppers

Jobswise, there are a few freelance ones but they seem pretty lovely. Stuff like "laboriously break your rear end mining ore out of a hole in the wall," "guard a caravan that's headed in the exact opposite direction as you," and "check on the old couple who live on top of the mountain to make sure they're not dead or anything." There's an inn that will pay for a bard.

Mr.Pibbleton posted:

Clearly we need to cobble together some kind of disguise for Tog, the more homoerotic, the better. There could be a specialty shop for that in town!

Seeing as there's only one alpine lake near here the "Reels and Rods" bait shop would have gone out of business years ago if they hadn't diversified into lures for catching men as well as fish. They're happy to assist you in selecting from their wide variety of custom erotical getups, but the prices don't seem all that cheap.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hipster Occultist
Aug 16, 2008

He's an ancient, obscure god. You probably haven't heard of him.

Tog huffs and disappears back into the woods. He fashions a fake moustache and eyeglasses from sticks, leaves, and mud, and heads back to the guard post.

Projecting an aura of confidence/I'm totally not that last troll, he tries to enter the town again.

SniperWoreConverse
Mar 20, 2010

Gun Saliva
rolling disguise... -29: it doesn't really work but the guards critically fail

"Hold up buddy, somethin about you seems familiar"
"Yeah haven't i seen you some where's before?"
"Nah guys the last troll didn't have glasses."
"Oh yeah! yeah, must be a different--"
"Waaaait a second how come there's no lenses in those frames?"

The guards wait impatiently for an answer.

Hipster Occultist
Aug 16, 2008

Not-Tog shrugs like a cool, confident guy with nothing to worry about, and tries to ignore the bead of nervous sweat trailing down his back

"Dey broken, me come to town to get new ones."

Stoner Sloth
Apr 2, 2019

>>The mimic continues to be a wagon for now, guarding the all important locked box while the others do what they need to in town or attempt to fake their way in. Sam will keep an eye out to see if there are any guilds around as the group pass through town, in particular a Tinker's guild.

SniperWoreConverse
Mar 20, 2010

Gun Saliva

Hipster Occultist posted:

Not-Tog shrugs like a cool, confident guy with nothing to worry about, and tries to ignore the bead of nervous sweat trailing down his back

"Dey broken, me come to town to get new ones."

rolling bluff... -48

too bad nobody tried to help or even wish you luck, cause yours just ran out. The sweat causes the makeshift glasses to completely fall apart and your whole disguise falls in a lump of debris on the ground.
"woahhoho nice try pal come back when you get civilized"
"yeah we got a real nice town here, we don't need you assing up the joint"

Stoner Sloth posted:

>>The mimic continues to be a wagon for now, guarding the all important locked box while the others do what they need to in town or attempt to fake their way in. Sam will keep an eye out to see if there are any guilds around as the group pass through town, in particular a Tinker's guild.

Unfortunately the last guildhall for them was back in Dulcimer where they make some music crap. There is one in Xoma tho. Some traders tell you there's one in a town that's over that way too. Otherwise there's a Hunters' and Archeologists' and a pretty small Mages' Guild. Plus a few regular tradeguilds like masons and miners and carpenters.

Stoner Sloth
Apr 2, 2019

>>With confirmation that there isn't a tinker's guild Sam waits until unobserved and transforms, storing the locked box inside their internal extradimensional space, mimicking the form of a suit of full plate armor and adding some just visible eyes so it looks like the suit is occupied.

>>The mimic then leaves the mule with the others and heads back out to help the troll get through the town. Presuming the armored figure is not stopped on the way out, Sam will rejoin with Tog and offer assistance.

Hipster Occultist
Aug 16, 2008

Tog leans in close towards the mimic and whispers.

"Yous got any ideas? Tog try everyting short'a just popping der heads like grapes"

Stoner Sloth
Apr 2, 2019

>>"Yeah, a couple. If you don't mind wearing mimic armor, a mimic based disguise or being temporarily put in an extradimensional space then could just walk back in as an armored person and get you into town." Sam whispers back.

>>"If you don't trust me enough for that still though it gets more complex but could possibly get you up the cliff face and around the town by helping you climb it, possibly glide you up - though that idea strikes me a risky - or maybe drill a passage way underground past the town?" the shapeshifter adds quietly.

>>The armored figure shrugs awkwardly, not used to speaking this much in one go.

sure okay
Apr 7, 2006

>> John Smith goes to the inn to apply for the paying bard job. He warms up his cackling voice along the way.

clockwork chaos
Sep 15, 2009

>> Rozalin pockets the remaining cash from the transaction, not really trusting the others to not blow it on something stupid and heads to the Hunter's Guild. She feels she's qualified to get paid to murder poo poo for cash.

Hipster Occultist
Aug 16, 2008

Tog takes several minutes to consider his options while staring blankly into space.

Finally, he whispers back. Okay, we try da get inside you ting. Tog not like it, but unless Tog going to commit like tree counts of murder he not see any otha way."

Stoner Sloth
Apr 2, 2019

>>Sam's armored head nods and the mimic motions Tog to follow the mimic out of sight of the guards.

>>Once out of sight the shapeshifter forms itself around Tog, expanding and turning into a suit of armor much larger than the troll to disguise him as a half giant or similar, and still allowing the troll to see out of small holes in the chest region as well as breathe.

>>"Alright, I'll walk you in... let me do the talking if they ask any questions so they don't recognize your voice. Try to relax." the armor around Tog states to him quietly, the voice growing much deeper as appropriate to a normal creature this size.

>>So saying the large, armored but unarmed figure slowly and somewhat awkwardly heads up to the gate with a casual wave to the guards as they start to head in, unless they are stopped.

SniperWoreConverse
Mar 20, 2010

Gun Saliva

sure okay posted:

>> John Smith goes to the inn to apply for the paying bard job. He warms up his cackling voice along the way.

You drive away small animals with your terrible voice and they hire you immediately without even listening to your audition. Your surprise comedy act lampooning bad bards is a complete success and they give you 18 bucks.

clockwork chaos posted:

>> Rozalin pockets the remaining cash from the transaction, not really trusting the others to not blow it on something stupid and heads to the Hunter's Guild. She feels she's qualified to get paid to murder poo poo for cash.

Like the other guilds you can only be in one. Also you have to swear to never divulge guild secrets or gently caress over the guild or other guildmembers. If you do that you're in and they give you a medallion that shows you're in. They have some monster hunting stuff you can buy.

Current jobs you might be able to deal with are there's a sandfish that has been harrasing caravans along the desert road, and there have been a bunch of aggressive bats on the west side of the mountains that need dealt with. Other than that bring the proof you killed some dangerous monster to any guild and they'll pay.

Tog takes several minutes to consider his options while staring blankly into space.

Finally, he whispers back. Okay, we try da get inside you ting. Tog not like it, but unless Tog going to commit like tree counts of murder he not see any otha way."

Stoner Sloth posted:

>>Sam's armored head nods and the mimic motions Tog to follow the mimic out of sight of the guards.

>>Once out of sight the shapeshifter forms itself around Tog, expanding and turning into a suit of armor much larger than the troll to disguise him as a half giant or similar, and still allowing the troll to see out of small holes in the chest region as well as breathe.

>>"Alright, I'll walk you in... let me do the talking if they ask any questions so they don't recognize your voice. Try to relax." the armor around Tog states to him quietly, the voice growing much deeper as appropriate to a normal creature this size.

>>So saying the large, armored but unarmed figure slowly and somewhat awkwardly heads up to the gate with a casual wave to the guards as they start to head in, unless they are stopped.

rolling disguise... -9 but both the guards and you crit
"Ok, dude, we can easily see what is going on here."
"Huh?"
The guard captain takes his helmet off and points out like 18 places where this is an obvious mimic trying to sneak in, showing the other guards what to look for.
"Another thing is the thing looks like metal but it's actually a creature" and he jabs at an "armor plate" with a fist
"And then there's actually a troll trying to play it cool in there, if it were actually an armored troll it wouldn't be such a bad fit here or here"
The other guards are all like "ooooh yeaah that makes sense" and then the captain looks at the sun and tells em it's shift change.

They all walk off talking about what they learned and you guys just kind of shuffle into town when nobody's looking.

clockwork chaos
Sep 15, 2009

SniperWoreConverse posted:

Like the other guilds you can only be in one. Also you have to swear to never divulge guild secrets or gently caress over the guild or other guildmembers. If you do that you're in and they give you a medallion that shows you're in. They have some monster hunting stuff you can buy.

Current jobs you might be able to deal with are there's a sandfish that has been harrasing caravans along the desert road, and there have been a bunch of aggressive bats on the west side of the mountains that need dealt with. Other than that bring the proof you killed some dangerous monster to any guild and they'll pay.

>> Rozz accepts the terms of service and, after a bit of a struggle, slides the medallion over her horns and around her neck. Looking around the lodge at the various trophies mounted, she offhandedly asks about monster hunting gear, keeping an ear out for some sort of flensing knife within her price range especially.

Hipster Occultist
Aug 16, 2008

Tog is confused, even more so that usual. But he's far too dumb to question why things have suddenly worked out in his favor, and after a brief brain aneurysm he stars sounding off a troll marching song as they walk down the street.

(its mostly just fart noises made with his tongue)

SniperWoreConverse
Mar 20, 2010

Gun Saliva

clockwork chaos posted:

>> Rozz accepts the terms of service and, after a bit of a struggle, slides the medallion over her horns and around her neck. Looking around the lodge at the various trophies mounted, she offhandedly asks about monster hunting gear, keeping an ear out for some sort of flensing knife within her price range especially.

yeah they have those, they're mostly for like... flensing and not really fighting so :shrug:
If you guys want to waste a day they got a quick class on how to chop monsters into useful stuff, but if you want serious gains you'd have to hang around for a while.

They also got some stuff like snares, hunting knives, other crap like that in a handy newbie package if you want to chunk down 50 copper for it.

Tog is confused, even more so that usual. But he's far too dumb to question why things have suddenly worked out in his favor, and after a brief brain aneurysm he stars sounding off a troll marching song as they walk down the street.

(its mostly just fart noises made with his tongue)

A bunch of kids playing in the street start laughing and making fart sounds. There's an old man and and old woman bullshitting outside a shop and the guy frowns at this but the woman thinks it's pretty hilarious.

Stoner Sloth
Apr 2, 2019

>>Once not being closely observed the mimic unfolds itself from Tog, letting him free and reforming itself into the earlier armored figure it used to leave town. "Well... It worked well enough I guess, sort of." Sam comments with a shrug as they go to meet back up with the rest of the group.

clockwork chaos
Sep 15, 2009

>> Rozzy weighs her options then decides, "ehh maybe next time, need what little cash i got in case all our gear gets hosed up again - thanks for the heads up on the bounties though!" She grins as she heads out the door, it's always nice to have a backup job in case this one goes sour.

>> She meets up with Smelly and Box, she still hasn't remembered people's names after all, and sighs, feeling her mood already worsening. "On the one hand I'm glad you managed to get inside, saves me from havin' to figure out a way so i don't lose one of my meat shields, on the other you're a loving ripe stinking meat shield - which might work in your favor i dunno."

>> "You though, " she turns towards the 'armor', "dont let me tell ya how to do your job, but even a bloody idiot can see thats a disguise, and a shoddy one at that. There's probably a reason most mimics stay stationary or hang out in dimly lit dank caves innit - you're missin all the little details! Y'ain't shiny enough, ya proportions are way off, and for bloody fuckin' sakes your disguised as a full plate a armor in the middle of the fuckin' desert! Try something simpler and pay attention to ya fuckin' surroundins boxbrains - like a bleedin' cloak, or a hat or summat." She fumes but she's not mad just disappointed.

Stoner Sloth
Apr 2, 2019

>>The armor, which isn't as bad as reviews would have you believe - being quite convincing to less discerning eyes - points out "My plan worked, despite a suspiciously alert captain, and if you think you can be a better suit of armor... then next time you have at it." in an even tone. "Also shiny armor is for decoration and, if you'd paid attention to the map, you'd realize Passwall isn't in the desert - that would be the other side of the mountains."

>>Having replied to the criticism Sam adds "Now the money from the batwings - I suggest we spend it on trade goods, maybe see if we can find out what is going for a good price in Xoma since we are headed their anyways. Might as well try to invest the money and get enough to do something useful with?"

clockwork chaos
Sep 15, 2009

>> "oooh, sassy box, did i hit a nerve? Have it your way." Rozalin says with a shrug.
"we got about-
she pauses, wondering if she should lie about the amount, but figures its probably fine.
"uh about 80 coppers left after camping supplies - which ain't light let me bloody tell you - lets try to keep a right little nest egg in case we get done over by bloody fuckin bats or whatever lives in the godforsaken desert."

>> She fishes the pouch of coins from her bosom and presses it firmly into the armor's gauntlets. "be a good piggy bank and hold onto this, wouldja, you can hold the camping supplies once we leave town, unless you think i can stuff 'em piece by piece into your bleedin mouthy headhole."

Stoner Sloth
Apr 2, 2019

>>"What's the point of keeping it in coins? There's nowhere to buy anything until we get to the other side of the desert - might as well put it into something that will be worth more when we get there." Sam explains patiently, not seeming to rise to Roz's bait.

>>The mimic does take the offered money though, happy enough to hang on to it until the group decides what to do and opening up the visor of the armor like it were a mouth it tucks the money away into the extra dimensional space within.

SniperWoreConverse
Mar 20, 2010

Gun Saliva
i'm ruling it that if you guys keep stuff in the mimic so much if it dies or gets knocked out you can't get your stuff back unless you chop it open before it decays or wakes back up

Hipster Occultist
Aug 16, 2008

"Can't eat coins," Tog says, as if he's sharing sage wisdom. "Sam is right, it good idea ta buy stuff to sell after sand walk."

"Or maybe we just buy all da beer we can?" he says, hopefully.

SniperWoreConverse
Mar 20, 2010

Gun Saliva
The inn'll sell you two kegs of mountain dew for $60

Strong beer and citrusy it'll keep for long enough to sell on the other side of the desert.

Hipster Occultist
Aug 16, 2008

Tog places his hand under the mouth of the mimic and coughs

Stoner Sloth
Apr 2, 2019

>>Sam puts one metal gauntlet over the face area of the armor, pretends to cough and retrieves the coins to hand Tog so that the troll can purchase the two kegs of beer.

>>"Might also be a good idea to get some saddlebags or even an actual wagon for the mule, just so as I'm not the only rear end carrying all the gear. Ha." the mimic suggests.

Hipster Occultist
Aug 16, 2008

The troll slaps down the copper on the counter, and hoists a keg up onto each shoulder with little effort.

He looks around at the others. "We go now, or do more stuff?"

sure okay
Apr 7, 2006

>> John Smith finishes his set at the inn and rushes over to the bar to slap his 18 dollar pay on the counter.

"I'll take all the mountain dew thisll get me!"

Stoner Sloth
Apr 2, 2019

sure okay posted:

>> John Smith finishes his set at the inn and rushes over to the bar to slap his 18 dollar pay on the counter.

>>Sam suggests we add in some of the remaining 20 copper to John Smith's 18 and get a total of 3 kegs and 8 copper change then. Once the group is ready to go, the mimic will store the loot and prepare to head off out into the desert beyond Passwall. Once beyond city limits Sam will turn back into a wagon and harnesses, connecting to the mule and allowing it to draw themself and whoever chooses to ride in the wagon along.

clockwork chaos
Sep 15, 2009

>> Rozz shrugs as the group purchases kegs of booze, its a backup plan like her hunting, but it's also another thing they'll hafta protect. She puffs on another cigar to keep her mellow while lugging some of the kegs to the other side of town - wouldn't do to accidentally boil the booze with her heat after all.

>> Taking a long drag and exhaling a large hazy cloud, she waits for the group to assemble so she can take her rightful place in the mimiwagon.

Stoner Sloth
Apr 2, 2019

>>Sam takes each of the offered barrels and the head and torso of the 'armor' splits in two unnaturally to engulf them into the extradimensional space. The mimic then turns into what appears to be the shittiest, poorest looking excuse for a wagon possible. Despite this there are little details that make it comfortable enough for anyone riding in it, the torn looking cover of it seeming to shade just the right spots from the sun that noone is blinded by it or overheated for example.

SniperWoreConverse
Mar 20, 2010

Gun Saliva

sure okay posted:

The crowd cheers and the innkeep starts pouring out pitchers

Stoner Sloth posted:

>>Sam suggests we add in some of the remaining 20 copper to John Smith's 18 and get a total of 3 kegs and 8 copper change then. Once the group is ready to go, the mimic will store the loot and prepare to head off out into the desert beyond Passwall. Once beyond city limits Sam will turn back into a wagon and harnesses, connecting to the mule and allowing it to draw themself and whoever chooses to ride in the wagon along.

the crowd boos and the innkeep stops pouring and instead puts another keg out for you guys

you guys leave and have an enjoyable time heading down hill off the desert. In fact, it's completely fine and there are no kinds of monsters or anything that appear whatsoever.

You make excellent time until the sky suddenly goes dark. Haboob!

A massive brutal sandstorm is upon you and you're completely in the middle of the desert! Holy poo poo!

clockwork chaos
Sep 15, 2009

>> "For gently caress's sake!" Rozzy cries out as the sudden sandstorm snatches her smoking cigar straight outta sight! She holds up a claw to attempt to shield her eyes from the storm and calls out from her position in the mimimobile, "Stick together! Stay close to the wagon!"

SniperWoreConverse posted:

there's a sandfish that has been harrasing caravans along the desert road
>> "poo poo"

Stoner Sloth
Apr 2, 2019

>>The mimic stops moving, drawing the mule to a halt, and then covers it by extending its body, similarly covering over the group and disguising from the outside as just another sand dune - no point in moving when it could just be getting us lost. No eyes are formed since they'd be of pretty limited use, instead the creature concentrates on sensing ground vibrations. Sam remains ready to swiftly react but for now just rides out the storm.

Hipster Occultist
Aug 16, 2008

Tog takes the the opportunity to pass a significant amount of gas, he figures nobody will be able to smell it in a sandstorm.

Clutching a large club, he takes cover under the mimic and waits for the random encounter to show itself

SniperWoreConverse
Mar 20, 2010

Gun Saliva

clockwork chaos posted:

>> "For gently caress's sake!" Rozzy cries out as the sudden sandstorm snatches her smoking cigar straight outta sight! She holds up a claw to attempt to shield her eyes from the storm and calls out from her position in the mimimobile, "Stick together! Stay close to the wagon!"

>> "poo poo"

:rolldice: 13

Stoner Sloth posted:

>>The mimic stops moving, drawing the mule to a halt, and then covers it by extending its body, similarly covering over the group and disguising from the outside as just another sand dune - no point in moving when it could just be getting us lost. No eyes are formed since they'd be of pretty limited use, instead the creature concentrates on sensing ground vibrations. Sam remains ready to swiftly react but for now just rides out the storm.

:rolldice: 19

Tog takes the the opportunity to pass a significant amount of gas, he figures nobody will be able to smell it in a sandstorm.

Clutching a large club, he takes cover under the mimic and waits for the random encounter to show itself

:rolldice: 20
Truly incredible
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VKeJ5J8cKBA
a profound level of flatulence reverberates across the dunes.

the storm worsens

and worsens

and worsens

when all other defenses are exhausted by the driving sands, Tog's 20 days of held in gas is there to ease the withering blast.

In time, the storm passes, and everything clears again.

Stoner Sloth
Apr 2, 2019

>>Sam waits until the weather has cleared, feeling the abrasive lash of sand worsen steadily and then finally relent. Once it's calmed down the mimic resumes their wagon form, allowing the journey to continue and - probably more importantly for the rest of the group - some fresh air. The mimic can count themself lucky that they have to deliberately make an effort to have a nose.

SniperWoreConverse
Mar 20, 2010

Gun Saliva
Well, none of your crap is damaged, but everyone's down an hp due to the blistering winds, including the mule. Unless the DEADLY SAND FISH appears within a day you guys should be fine and can do whatever.

Roz knows of the fish from the hunter's guild tutorial materials.
-- It's a big beast that lives in sand
-- it could totally eat someone just chomp arms and legs off super brutally
-- it has very valuable scales which are prized for their fancy sheen and smoothness
-- the mystical eye of the creature can be used for esoteric rituals or to flavor booze

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hipster Occultist
Aug 16, 2008

"Tog not sure he gotta nother onea does in da chamber, so Tog think we gotta go fast and get away from all dis sand. Tog goona try someting"

The troll hops down off the wagon and unhooks the mule's straps. he then picks up a likely very confused mule and sets him on his old spot in the cart, before strapping himself into the wagon's harness. Tog reasons (if we want to call it that) that he's stronger than a mule and can run faster.

"Prolly be bumpy but faster, hang on!"