Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

Connellingus posted:

Was Antoon Dumini (the guy who almost shot Satchel but decided against it before being killed by Rabbi Milligan in Episode 6) prominently featured in any previous episodes? I can see him in the cast list for other episodes, but didn't recognize him. I thought his story arc and performance in the most recent episode had strong elements of tragic irony, but might have hit harder if we had seen more of him earlier on.
I can recall feeling like Season 2 might have leaned into this more heavily than the rest. Nick Offerman's character was essentially a smarter version of Walter Sobchak, right down to hanging out in a bowling alley with a Donny type.

What did Sonny say his nickname was in Vietnam? I think that was my favorite detail from s2. Almost everyone fought in nam and knew what the other was talking about when reflecting on war.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mameluke
Aug 2, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
Glad Rabbi and Young Mike's story is picking up

void_serfer
Jan 13, 2012

Doltos posted:

Every season of Fargo has owned including this one and I don't know why people itt are being lovely untowards it

not an empty quote

DogsInSpace!
Sep 11, 2001

Fun Shoe

Doltos posted:

Every season of Fargo has owned including this one and I don't know why people itt are being lovely untowards it

Agreed. This season has been very Fargo and I'm loving it. There have been a ton of characters but they are getting slimmed down. Sad to see Doctor Senator die as I could have easily enjoyed him the entire season. But he was stability and reason so I can see why he had to go. I know some goons were talking about Rabbi having a scheme but this ep seemed to back up that maybe he just legit wants this kid to not grow up like he did. I have a hunch what role Mormon Raylan is going to play but Fargo does like to mix it up sometimes. Still feel for OCD/PTSD crooked cop.... dude just can't catch a break. Still wonder why that one goon Calamita is still alive. I feel like both him and Gaetano should have had a bullet in them day one but at least Gaetano has the excuse of being the brother of the "top" guy. I am fairly sure Loy Cannon would have offed them both quick. I may be alone but I like the job Chris Rock has been doing. Feel like he is fairly solid in his role and really like Loy's plays. He's got a two wild west outlaws as independent contractors and a mortician in his pocket to dispose of the bodies. Still wonder how murdernurse will play into all of this. Good season.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

Murder nurse, hospital handjobs and lovely pies.

PizzaProwler
Nov 4, 2009

Or you can see me at The Riviera. Tuesday nights.
Pillowfights with Dominican mothers.

DogsInSpace! posted:

Still feel for OCD/PTSD crooked cop.... dude just can't catch a break.

Watching Otis pinball between the two warring gangs was really funny to me, but I definitely laughed about it with some guilt. That dude is unbelievably screwed.

Ballz
Dec 16, 2003

it's mario time

PizzaProwler posted:

Watching Otis pinball between the two warring gangs was really funny to me, but I definitely laughed about it with some guilt. That dude is unbelievably screwed.

Home from the war and still having to navigate mine fields.

bunky
Aug 29, 2004

Doltos posted:

I'm less into this season personally because of the ham-fisted bad guy who keeps making Scooby Doo villain eyes every time he thinks about crimes.

joepinetree
Apr 5, 2012

bunky posted:

I'm less into this season personally because of the ham-fisted bad guy who keeps making Scooby Doo villain eyes every time he thinks about crimes.

Yeah, going from Lorne Malvo, Hanzee and M Varga to jack black in nacho libre is a massive downgrade.

God Hole
Mar 2, 2016

joepinetree posted:

Yeah, going from Lorne Malvo, Hanzee and M Varga to jack black in nacho libre is a massive downgrade.

this has actually improved the character for me going forward, thank you.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

I kinda love how Gaetano is a gigantic gently caress-up despite thinking that he's the real Boss and tough guy who just knows how to get things done. Every single thing he does is stupid and reckless and fucks up everything but he keeps on thinking he's the real deal who should be running things.

void_serfer
Jan 13, 2012

Jerusalem posted:

I kinda love how Gaetano is a gigantic gently caress-up despite thinking that he's the real Boss and tough guy who just knows how to get things done. Every single thing he does is stupid and reckless and fucks up everything but he keeps on thinking he's the real deal who should be running things.

He is the embodiment of fascism.

Dangerous Person
Apr 4, 2011

Not dead yet

Jerusalem posted:

Gaetano is the embodiment of a goon who thinks he's badass right down to the fact that he always carries a knife around

Dangerous Person fucked around with this message at 23:41 on Oct 29, 2020

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌

bunky posted:

I'm actually loving Gaetano. The over-the-top mannerisms fit the style just as much as quirky Jason Schwartzman mob boss. It's also not any different than measured bad guys that produce cool lines like Chris Rock's character Doctor Senator. Like every time Doctor Senator launched into a monologue I was just thinking there's no way other crime dudes would sit there patiently without interrupting.

Fargo's been about big personalities ever since the movie. I think Gaetano fits and comes off as pretty intimidating.

Mameluke
Aug 2, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
I mainly love Gaetano for how much he looks like Chief Tyrol

Edge & Christian
May 20, 2001

Earth-1145 is truly the best!
A world of singing, magic frogs,
high adventure, no shitposters
Apologies if this has been discussed to death in The Discourse, but since this entire season is (partially) a comic book style retcon/untold tale of why the Kansas City organization was so improbably diverse in the 1970s:

I think it's pretty generally accepted that Satchel Cannon is going to grow up to be Mike Milligan. The other big named characters from Kansas City in s2 are Joe Bulo (Brad Garrett), Hamish Broker (Adam Arkin), and the Kitchen Brothers. I don't think they (or anyone bearing their surnames) have shown up in s4 as of yet.

BUT.

The only other one I really remember being named is the guy sent up from Kansas City to clean up Mike's mess, a slim white guy looking to be in his sixties referred only as "The Undertaker". Could this where Thurman Smutney ends up?

Terra-da-loo!
Apr 6, 2008

Sufficiently kickass.
I like Gaetano mainly because the actor was really good in the Gomorrah series. That said, boy I sure hope he finally dies for sure (though also I like this whole unstoppable thing they're doing).

Overall I dunno, this season does feel kinda off somehow, but it's still really enjoyable.

That Dang Dad
Apr 23, 2003

Well I am
over-fucking-whelmed...
Young Orc
The last two or three eps have been really solid for me, I think because there finally feels like an overarching narrative coming together that I can follow. It felt like Episodes 1-3 were all kind of setting up the (huge) world and I was having a hard time understanding what to care about or what the trajectory was. Now, I'm really enjoying this classic Fargoesque crime/misunderstanding clusterfuck as it unfolds.

How Wonderful!
Jul 18, 2006

I only have excellent ideas

Edge & Christian posted:

Apologies if this has been discussed to death in The Discourse, but since this entire season is (partially) a comic book style retcon/untold tale of why the Kansas City organization was so improbably diverse in the 1970s:

I think it's pretty generally accepted that Satchel Cannon is going to grow up to be Mike Milligan. The other big named characters from Kansas City in s2 are Joe Bulo (Brad Garrett), Hamish Broker (Adam Arkin), and the Kitchen Brothers. I don't think they (or anyone bearing their surnames) have shown up in s4 as of yet.

BUT.

The only other one I really remember being named is the guy sent up from Kansas City to clean up Mike's mess, a slim white guy looking to be in his sixties referred only as "The Undertaker". Could this where Thurman Smutney ends up?

Joe Bulo shows up in the most recent episode, standing silently in the background of a scene. He's the guy sent from New York to "help" the Faddas.

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

How Wonderful! posted:

Joe Bulo shows up in the most recent episode, standing silently in the background of a scene. He's the guy sent from New York to "help" the Faddas.

I was wondering why that name sounded familiar.

GABA ghoul
Oct 29, 2011

I'm catching up with the show and I was really confused why state police just brutally raided the funeral home without a warrant or explanation. Then I remembered that this is 1950s Missouri and the home belongs to black people and police could just do whatever they wanted with black people :doh:

Overall I'm not really feeling this season, but maybe it gets better. I mean, Oraetta is a pretty good villain, but she's no V.M. Varga. Varga was one of the best villains in TV history

DaveKap
Feb 5, 2006

Pickle: Inspected.

Connellingus posted:

Was Antoon Dumini (the guy who almost shot Satchel but decided against it before being killed by Rabbi Milligan in Episode 6) prominently featured in any previous episodes? I can see him in the cast list for other episodes, but didn't recognize him. I thought his story arc and performance in the most recent episode had strong elements of tragic irony, but might have hit harder if we had seen more of him earlier on.
Yes, he's always been at the side of Josto, who has been on the lenient side of things compared to Gaetano, making Antoon seem a likely candidate to not want to start a war. As such, it made complete sense for him to be as withdrawn as he got when he was told to take the ride and his death is that much more impactful as a move against Josto. I know not everyone can keep track of all these characters but I've been pretty diligent so the moments worked on me as they were intended. However, the fact that folks have complained about too many characters to keep track of makes me believe that this season probably suffers from The Noah Hawley Effect.

The Noah Hawley Effect is something I discovered happens to every show Noah Hawley worked on after Season 2 of Fargo (though I have zero proof that it wasn't also in effect for S1 and 2 of Fargo) which is that he develops his shows in such a way that they are exponentially better if you watch them in a marathon fashion (1 or more episodes per day) rather than on a weekly basis. I can't explain it but every time I've held off watching his shows (S1/2 of Fargo, S1 of Legion) it's been an absolute blast to watch but every time I watch them as they air (S3 of Fargo, S2/3 of Legion) I'm met with a bit of disappointment over my viewing.

S4 so far is probably the best of the weekly viewing of Noah Hawley I've experienced but it has yet to meet the enjoyment of the marathoned viewings I've had.
Also, I think if you can't stand Gaetano's cartoonish villainy, I have to assume you didn't enjoy Mike Milligan or Dodd from S2 because they're just as cartoony.

DaveKap fucked around with this message at 11:47 on Nov 2, 2020

PerilPastry
Oct 10, 2012

GABA ghoul posted:

Overall I'm not really feeling this season, but maybe it gets better. I mean, Oraetta is a pretty good villain, but she's no V.M. Varga. Varga was one of the best villains in TV history

To be honest, now that Senator is gone I find myself not really connecting with anyone except Rabbi Milligan and Mormon Raylan Givens

PerilPastry fucked around with this message at 18:01 on Nov 2, 2020

Brigadier Sockface
Apr 1, 2007
Hey, who was hiding in the coffin?

Fartington Butts
Jan 21, 2007

This episode was a little hard to follow. Kept jumping around like crazy. I'm hoping all of this build-up leads to something.

I'm currently imagining a movie entirely about Murdernurse who does all of her poo poo while there happens to be a mob war in town that is barely touched on until she eventually interacts with them in the 3rd act or omething.

Ballz
Dec 16, 2003

it's mario time

Brigadier Sockface posted:

Hey, who was hiding in the coffin?

The spooky ghost aka that weird supernatural element that pops up for five seconds every other episode.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

I really dug that episode, the contrasting strategies of Loy and Josto I'm really getting into, and seeing them try to manipulate others to achieve their goals has been a treat. I also dug that the nurse's weird faces right at the start of the episode turned out to be her practicing for the look she'd need to make when she left the office. At first I thought her actress was just kind of overacting a bit. The last 2-3 episodes have been really good, and I think I'm gonna really enjoy this season even more on rewatch since I spent too much time in the first few episodes trying to keep the large cast sorted in my head.

The shot of Loy outside the bathroom with the skipping rope was creepy as poo poo, it actually gave me a real The Shining vibe.

PerilPastry
Oct 10, 2012

Ballz posted:

The spooky ghost aka that weird supernatural element that pops up for five seconds every other episode.

I'm pretty sure the supernatural element that's going to tie this whole season together are the extensive farting and puking sequences

Brigadier Sockface
Apr 1, 2007
I would not be surprised if Oraetta accidentally ends up killing all the bosses

Beamed
Nov 26, 2010

Then you have a responsibility that no man has ever faced. You have your fear which could become reality, and you have Godzilla, which is reality.

Ballz posted:

Does anyone have any compilation of these? Ive only caught them in the first ep

Moltke
May 13, 2009
I watched the first 5 or so episodes in one shot and am really enjoying this season, just as much if not more than the previous.

Nameless Pete
May 8, 2007

Get a load of those...
The supernatural element is there, but more as a character quirk. Odis has OCD, Zelmare has the shining.

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2
RIP Raylan

Do not even ask
Apr 8, 2008

I'll have to rewatch the entire season when it finishes to confirm my theory is right but the child-swapping "tradition" being a load of bullshit that was just made up so an Irish pedophile could get his jollies off abusing his enemy's kid was not something I saw coming

Fartington Butts
Jan 21, 2007

A little bit I liked from that episode (8): Swanee tucking the Abba Zabba in her lip as if it were chewing tobacco right as they're about to start shootin'

Fartington Butts fucked around with this message at 23:11 on Nov 9, 2020

PerilPastry
Oct 10, 2012
easily best episode of the season so far

double negative
Jul 7, 2003

lol they really even had Loy repeat Mike Milligan's "No...pretty unfriendly, really. But it's the way you're unfriendly" line

Hyrax Attack!
Jan 13, 2009

We demand to be taken seriously

I’m enjoying the season, that was an good episode. It was interesting how Deafy seems to be competent with small scale stuff but is way over his head on bigger plans, and doesn’t understand people as well as he thinks he does. Like not putting together until it was too late that Zelmare and Swanee may seem goofy but on their own robbed a guarded location and wiped out an Italian house and are a huge threat. Not to mention bringing along Odis when he knows he’s in with the mob.

My take on Josto and Gaetano is that neither should be running the family, as Josto lacks the ability to plan, isn’t imposing, and frequently distracted, while Gaetano is hyper aggressive and fearless but only wants to attack constantly. Neither is a good replacement for their father, but they are so bound by tradition they can’t get a better leader, as Rabbi is out for obvious reasons.

CatstropheWaitress
Nov 26, 2017

double negative posted:

lol they really even had Loy repeat Mike Milligan's "No...pretty unfriendly, really. But it's the way you're unfriendly" line

More evidence Cannon's son is gonna grow up to be Mike :,)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌

Hyrax Attack! posted:

My take on Josto and Gaetano is that neither should be running the family, as Josto lacks the ability to plan, isn’t imposing, and frequently distracted, while Gaetano is hyper aggressive and fearless but only wants to attack constantly. Neither is a good replacement for their father, but they are so bound by tradition they can’t get a better leader, as Rabbi is out for obvious reasons.

Yeah when Gaetano was talking to his brother he seemed smarter than Josto ever could be. Sussed out Chris Rock's plan to split them apart and chose to let someone else lead for the good of the group.. That alone should qualify him over Josto but as the show depicts his character it's pretty obvious to the audience that if Gaetano came into power he'd run everything into the ground due to his anger.