Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

WeaponX
Jul 28, 2008

fawning deference posted:

This is a silly way to frame things, every entity involved with pro sports leagues right now is getting absolutely hammered, from the billionaire owners to the ECHL players

Uh this is just NYC but you realize a lot of billionaires got richer during the pandemic right?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

Holy loving poo poo there’s hockey tomorrow!
:psyduck:

Aye Doc
Jul 19, 2007

Cartoon Man posted:

Holy loving poo poo there’s hockey tomorrow!*

*Hockey not guaranteed. The NHL and its affiliates shall hold no liability for any promised hockey that may not occur on said date due to pandemic.

triple sulk
Sep 17, 2014

at least the one game we're gonna get is the best possible one

Duck Rodgers
Oct 9, 2012
I like that they've staggered the start times

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

WeaponX posted:

Uh this is just NYC but you realize a lot of billionaires got richer during the pandemic right?

The NHL’s owner group isn’t that fancy, most are only lame millionaires.

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

another game at nationwide arena. everybody keeps asking me if they can fuck the cannon. buddy, they don't even let me fuck it

Mr. Kite posted:

Challenge: say something nice about Jack Johnson.

1. Jack Johnson is a good skater.

1. Jack Johnson is actually pretty decent at the shootout if you need him in a pinch.
2. Jack Johnson turned down a lucrative offer to resign with my team and, when he circled back around, it was too late because they were signing Ryan Murray.

WeaponX
Jul 28, 2008

Aphrodite posted:

The NHL’s owner group isn’t that fancy, most are only lame millionaires.

Not true, at least 20 of them are billionaires

But yes, let’s continue to make excuses for sports owners like the Pegula’s who paused construction on their super yacht (they already own an 18 million dollar yacht) or Pen’s owner Ronald Burkle who just bought Neverland Ranch for 22 million dollars! How can they continue to operate their teams with all that loss revenue!?

WeaponX fucked around with this message at 15:03 on Jan 12, 2021

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

1: Despite having more than twice as many PIM as his closest teammate, Jack Johnson was far from the worst player at Michigan in his 2 years.

2: Jack Johnson actually put up pretty good numbers with the USA U-18s, and no doubt stood tall in defense of All-Name Team candidate goaltender Billy Blase.

E: also Net Worth doesn't mean that's how much cash someone has on hand. I don't doubt Bettman and the owners are crying poor and exaggerating things to a certain degree, but it's also not at all hard to see how sports franchises and leagues are losing a ton of money because of the pandemic. Their other unrelated business might be doing fine but when leagues aren't playing or can't have asses in seats, it's not hard to see how that's losing money.

Countdown until weaponx accuses me of defending billionaires.

DJExile fucked around with this message at 15:00 on Jan 12, 2021

WeaponX
Jul 28, 2008

DJExile posted:

E: also Net Worth doesn't mean that's how much cash someone has on hand. I don't doubt Bettman and the owners are crying poor and exaggerating things to a certain degree, but it's also not at all hard to see how sports franchises and leagues are losing a ton of money because of the pandemic.

Losing a ton of money when you already have many, many, tons of money and you will almost certainly make it back in subsidies and various nefarious schemes isn’t a reason to cry poor.

I think I beat that countdown in record time :)

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

The players are millionaires and therefore do not deserve our sympathy.

It is unfortunate that it is the even worse class of rich that must do it, but let us thank the owners for marching the millionaire scum to their deaths.

T-Bone
Sep 14, 2004

jakes did this?
Working in tech and seeing the indifference/glee that tech companies show about the growth and opportunity created by Covid for them makes me wanna throw up

fawning deference
Jul 4, 2018

WeaponX posted:

Some billionaires got richer, but sports owners did not because their industry was absolutely wrecked this year. I think it's obvious to state that just because you're insanely rich, that doesn't mean you are fortified against crashed industries and heavy losses like everyone else. Every link in the chain of pro sports is getting decimated right now.

Darude - Adam Sandstorm
Aug 16, 2012

I absolutely feel for minor pro, rec league stuff etc and all the players/staff that aren't making their poverty wages at those levels. But I do not feel bad for NHL owners who've been raking it in for 20 years while valuations of their teams have quadrupled on the backs of free publicly funded stadiums. If they decided to eat the profits and fund other things, gently caress em.

Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

YOU'VE GOT A LAFRENIÈRE IN ME
I'm not a billionare or sports team owner but I think part of the "problem" is that they dont' tend to run sports teams the way the Russian oligarchs do...as personal playthings they finance directly out of their own pockets (I mean, so I've heard)

It's all still a "business" with the idea that it will create its own revenue and self sustain and blah blah so when it's not making money it's a "problem"
It's not gonna hurt the billionares at all, none of them are relying on their sports teams for some kind of income that matters, but they aren't gonna pull a hundred mill out of their pockets to throw in either

in conclusion, gently caress 'em

fawning deference
Jul 4, 2018

I'm not saying I feel bad for them, I'm just stating that billionaires and industries are capable of taking heavy losses which affect every rung of the ladder within it.

WeaponX
Jul 28, 2008

fawning deference posted:

Some billionaires got richer, but sports owners did not because their industry was absolutely wrecked this year. I think it's obvious to state that just because you're insanely rich, that doesn't mean you are fortified against crashed industries and heavy losses like everyone else. Every link in the chain of pro sports is getting decimated right now.

There are 3 sports owners on that list. Unless the owners only revenue source is pro sports, many billionaires- who happen to also be sport owners got richer this year.

I agree that almost every link in the chain of pro sports is being decimated. It’s terrible.

But lumping everyone involved in that chain with the billionaires on that NYC list, plus pro owners like Steve Ballmer, David Tepper, Robert Petra, Stan Kroenke, Jerry Jones, Robert Kraft and more who all gained wealth during the pandemic isn’t right.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

https://twitter.com/IneffectiveMath/status/1349012074874200066

Misanthrope
Jun 10, 2001

QUACK QUACK QUACK QUACK QUACK
I assume all billionaires are diversified enough where it's actually pretty hard for them to lose money.

... or pay taxes

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

:siren: Boston recognizes black athlete :siren:

Jovial Cow
Sep 7, 2006

inherently good
Not to defend billionaires or anything, and I know they are significantly better off than 99.9999% of the population but to DJExiles point free cash flow is a very different animal from net worth. Just because you are worth billions doesn’t mean you have tens of millions or hundreds of millions of dollars squirreled under the mattress to bail water for your sinking sports franchise.

I’m pretty sure there’s an axiom that says something along the lines of the rich make their money work for them. They try to have as much as they possibly can invested in something to generate returns and not just sitting there in cash earning them nothing.

A lot of that net worth is tied up in the businesses they own or started and in a lot of cases they might have an ownership stake that gives them a controlling majority of said business but with other partners as well so they could grow the business along the way. If their hockey team is suddenly losing tens or hundreds of millions of dollars you may not just be able to go cash in on shares of your company without losing that controlling position and for a lot of them that would be a non starter.

Sure they might have some investments not in their own company where they’re worried about controlling interests but is it liquid enough where they can get their money out to cover a 8 figure payroll gap, or do you go out and get a loan as a bridge and make that gap a bit bigger down the road.

For non billionaire chat Thursday can’t come soon enough, so excited to watch the kids sink or swim.

Fifty Three
Oct 29, 2007

eXXon posted:

There's a fun piece from GQ, of all places, where their one hockey fan writer (who has played before and isn't a complete newbie skater) tries to become a goalie in a month and stop some clappers from 45-year-old Anson Carter. It goes about as well as you'd expect.
Just catching up with this but oh my god Chico Resch is a treasure, how did I not know about this man

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

https://twitter.com/charlieo_conn/status/1349031716543979520

I don't hate this

E: I really don't hate this:

https://twitter.com/charlieo_conn/status/1349033407557332994

DJExile fucked around with this message at 17:42 on Jan 12, 2021

mennoknight
Nov 24, 2003

I WILL JUST EAT ONE MORE SANDWICH
OH MY HEAD EXPLORDED I'M JAY FATSTER
man, when did the Flyers get so deep? That is an insane forward roster.

edit: looks like the waiver news is starting

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

mennoknight posted:

Ron Hextall was patient to a fault, but he built one hell of a pipeline of forward prospects. Getting Nolan Patrick back from his migrane disorder and Oskar Lindblom returning from goddamn cancer was a massive boost.

It hurts having Niskanen abruptly retire because he was phenomenal with Provorov, but this is the deepest I've seen the Flyers look in ages.

Kilza
Oct 4, 2013

https://twitter.com/PierreVLeBrun/status/1349039569866530819

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

mennoknight posted:

Old dudes signed for too much start to slip, their bad performance lets you draft good young players, old dudes fill out bottom half of rosters.

It's the perfect cycle.

Aye Doc
Jul 19, 2007

luca sbisa will have a 20 year nhl career of absolutely no accomplishment or value

Kilza
Oct 4, 2013

https://twitter.com/PierreVLeBrun/status/1349040287662952457

mennoknight
Nov 24, 2003

I WILL JUST EAT ONE MORE SANDWICH
OH MY HEAD EXPLORDED I'M JAY FATSTER
imagine being an NHL GM and thinking "I would rather have Luca Sbisa on my team than Oliver Kylington"

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

To Sbisa's credit, he scores more than Kylington.

Misanthrope
Jun 10, 2001

QUACK QUACK QUACK QUACK QUACK
Yeah I didn't expect Kylington to clear.

WeaponX
Jul 28, 2008

SJ traded Balcers for Karlsson, time is a flat circle.

fawning deference
Jul 4, 2018

Eric Comrie? Maybe the very worst of the bad goalie choices available.

Kilza
Oct 4, 2013

https://twitter.com/MelnykEugene/status/1349038693424750593

Of course Melnyk is the first Canadian team owner to try and get fans into their arena.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

mennoknight posted:

imagine being an NHL GM and thinking "I would rather have Luca Sbisa on my team than Oliver Kylington"

https://twitter.com/OnTheForecheck/status/1349039873731096577

E: All the waived Flyers cleared.

bub spank
Feb 1, 2005

the THRILL
San Jose claimed Balcers, who they had originally drafted and then traded to Ottawa as part of the Karlsson deal. He's pretty consistently put up points in the AHL, but hasn't had much NHL success (albeit in limited minutes on the 4th line).

Still puzzled why Ottawa went and signed sub-replacement level players like Galchenyuk and Watson, and traded for Paquette, instead of giving the 23-year-old tweeners like Balcers and Chlapik a shot. It's just terrible asset management, and they lost a guy with decent 3rd line potential because of it. At the very least, seems like it would have made more sense to waive Galchenyuk or Watson for the taxi squad (as they're unlikely to be claimed), and then wait until later in the season to waive the younger players, as claims from American teams are probably less likely once the season is underway.

Spelling Mitsake
Oct 4, 2007

Clutch Cargo wishes they had Tractor.

Kilza posted:

https://twitter.com/MelnykEugene/status/1349038693424750593

Of course Melnyk is the first Canadian team owner to try and get fans into their arena.

There is no way Ontario would allow it right now.

Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

YOU'VE GOT A LAFRENIÈRE IN ME

Jovial Cow posted:

For non billionaire chat Thursday can’t come soon enough, so excited to watch the kids sink or swim.

This Miller situation is going to be interesting...I hope they really give him a chance and let him make mistakes. If he looks overmatched then sure, shuffle the lineup, send him down, etc, but don't overreact if he looks like a rookie at times and good other times. If he seems to be hanging with the NHL then let him play.
I think given that he wont' be PKing or playing the PP and they can give some tough minutes to Lindgren and Fox, he's not going to be totally in the deep end playing against all the best players right away.

Other than that, I hope Kakko and Laf play well. Honestly also hope that Howden can stop sucking so bad any maybe do a half decent job at being a bottom sixer

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Duck Rodgers
Oct 9, 2012
This is a funny image. Perrault going back onto the ice pumping his fist. I imagine Sbisa Charlie Brown walking to the airport to fly to Nashville.

quote:

Both Perreault and Sbisa were on the ice at Bell MTS Place ahead of the 11 a.m., practice on Tuesday, but they went back to the locker room before the practice started.

There, they awaited news of any waivers transactions, which were to be released right at 11 a.m.

A minute later, Perreault returned to the ice, pumping his fist and immediately high-fived goaltending coach Wade Flaherty.

Shortly later the news came out that he had cleared waivers, but Sbisa did not return to the ice as he learned about being selected by Nashville.