Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Gerblederp
Dec 4, 2009

Duck Rodgers posted:

but you still have to watch Sbisa...

gently caress, I forgot about that

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mike_V
Jul 31, 2004

3/18/2023: Day of the Dorks
Blues should probably sign Vince Dunn already

Mike Works
Feb 26, 2003
One of my most disliked players in the league is Robert Thomas because he so blatantly has two first names. Hate hearing it.

Pungry
Feb 26, 2011

JUST PICK ONE. ANY ONE.

Mike Works posted:

One of my most disliked players in the league is Robert Thomas because he so blatantly has two first names. Hate hearing it.

Would you say it makes you unwell?

ImplicitAssembler
Jan 24, 2013

Scaramouche posted:

I have no idea if that Jake deal is any good and... that's kinda the problem with him in general

I'd rather see him walk and Baertschi back in.

rex rabidorum vires
Mar 26, 2007

KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN
Simon for league min is nice. Decent little hockey man with some skill.

Bregor
May 31, 2013

People are idiots, Leslie.

Pungry posted:

:hmmyes:

fisting by many
Dec 25, 2009

Scaramouche posted:

I have no idea if that Jake deal is any good and... that's kinda the problem with him in general

It's better than 2x3 :shrug:

The experts seem to think he'll slot into the top 6 out of necessity because he's too much of a liability on the bottom 6 which makes letting a genuine top 6 guy like Toffoli go all the more baffling.

TITTIEKISSER69
Mar 19, 2005

SAVE THE BEES
PLANT MORE TREES
CLEAN THE SEAS
KISS TITTIESS

Pungry posted:

Just a little, if you can't tell

e: not crazy tho

Call Your Grandma
Jan 17, 2010

Good Soldier Svejk posted:

Flames fans, you are gonna like this guy. Really good bottom-6 guy who can slot in to top-6 when injuries come and not suck up the line

For as many times as someone's said a variation on this line about some heart & soul plug, I can't think of many times where it's come to pass.

grack
Jan 10, 2012

COACH TOTORO SAY REFEREE CAN BANISH WHISTLE TO LAND OF WIND AND GHOSTS!

fisting by many posted:

It's better than 2x3 :shrug:

The experts seem to think he'll slot into the top 6 out of necessity because he's too much of a liability on the bottom 6 which makes letting a genuine top 6 guy like Toffoli go all the more baffling.

Virtanen was scoring at a 20 goal pace while mostly playing with complete slugs last year, so why not.

He was crap against the Knights, but so was 3/4 of the team.

grack fucked around with this message at 02:18 on Oct 23, 2020

Good soup!
Nov 2, 2010

Gerblederp posted:

gently caress, I forgot about that

I think most people have forgotten about Sbisa

goldrush
Sep 27, 2005

~~~No Worries~~~

Mike Works posted:

I once knew a guy named Paul James Alfred Todd (I can't remember if that was the exact order), you guys should meet

Kilza
Oct 4, 2013

https://twitter.com/PierreVLeBrun/status/1319620796516585473
https://twitter.com/FriedgeHNIC/status/1319636104715403265

rex rabidorum vires
Mar 26, 2007

KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN

Call Your Grandma posted:

For as many times as someone's said a variation on this line about some heart & soul plug, I can't think of many times where it's come to pass.

He's a 30 to 40 point depth scorer not a 10 point a year plug. Last I checked the Flames were icing Zac Rinaldo last season. I think they should ice Lucic more to.

Darude - Adam Sandstorm
Aug 16, 2012

Simon's career high in points is 28.

Wippersnapper
Nov 1, 2003

Stealing your favourite hockey teams
...in spirit.

Mike Works posted:

How do you feel about Dave Thomas?

For content I don’t hate that Virtanen contract. He’ll get a chance in the top 6 by necessity and because it’s where he should be if he pans out, and when he doesn’t work out we can finally walk away from him in pretty short order.

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

Virtanen is an eminently replaceable player who's received far more chances than he should thanks to his draft slot. If losing him wouldn't be a massive embarrassment to management, he'd have been traded or released long ago.

Spring Break My Heart
Feb 15, 2012
Probably every Anglo first name is also a last name.

Kilza
Oct 4, 2013

https://twitter.com/PierreVLeBrun/status/1319705711052468226

Kilza
Oct 4, 2013

https://twitter.com/FriedgeHNIC/status/1319718256580722688
https://twitter.com/FriedgeHNIC/status/1319718971789266945

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

https://twitter.com/TSN_Sports/status/1319724467002724353?s=19

Dermott getting uh... Underpaid.

Flocons de Jambon
Apr 11, 2015
https://twitter.com/reporterchris/status/1319722988284030982

I wonder if the NHLPA would ever bring a collusion lawsuit the way the MLBPA did in the late 80s. I'm not saying Travis Dermott is Roger Clemens, but any team could've had him and his RFA rigts for less than an ELC.

Twin Cinema
Jun 1, 2006

Playoffs are no big deal,
don't have a crap attack.
That is a good deal for Dermott. I thought he'd develop into a 2nd pairing guy, but he took a bit of a step back last year. Now, he has a year to show who he is and who he can be.

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

I guess the lesson is not to have a bad season on the last year of your ELC, eh?

Koopa Kid
Aug 21, 2007

I don’t know if “take your qualifying offer or we trade you” is really collusion or just stating plain facts.

I like Dermott but he hasn’t really adjusted to the speed of the NHL well enough to use his tools effectively. Here’s hoping he kills it and forces a good deal next year.

Drunk Canuck
Jan 9, 2010

Robots ruin all the fun of a good adventure.

Kyle Dubas is executive of the year.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

TFW you see Flyers goaltending.
Grimey Drawer

Fixing the Nashville Predators powerplay is one hell of a challenge to undertake.

Mike Works
Feb 26, 2003

goldrush posted:

I once knew a guy named Paul James Alfred Todd (I can't remember if that was the exact order), you guys should meet
Sure, I'd love to meet those 4 people.

Wippersnapper posted:

How do you feel about Dave Thomas?
Gets a pass because frostys.

clean ayers act
Aug 13, 2007

How do I shot puck!?

This is a pretty reasonable request. It will be good to see if Tyler is AA part 2 or legit

Furnaceface
Oct 21, 2004

Has Brent Seabrook contracted a dangerous skin condition that doesnt let him touch hockey sticks yet?

Call Your Grandma
Jan 17, 2010

Darude - Adam Sandstorm posted:

I'm in love already:)

aejix
Sep 18, 2007

It's about finding that next group of core players we can win with in the next 6, 8, 10 years. Let's face it, it's hard for 20-, 21-, 22-year-olds to lead an NHL team. Look at the playoffs.

That quote is from fucking 2018. Fuck you Jim
Pillbug
Just spent half an hour trying to find it and am beginning to wonder if I just imagined it but Once in a Lifetime by talking heads came on the other day and I remembered someone here (I think zodijacky? Maybe wamsutta or rotten cookies?) wrote up a bunch of lyrics for it. I can't remember it all and am probably getting it wrong but they were like:

This is not my long island house
This is not my long island wife
Etc

Don't let the fourth line hold me down
Sent to the Q again
After the money's gone

Did this happen? Or am I having a breakdown

Bregor
May 31, 2013

People are idiots, Leslie.

Darude - Adam Sandstorm posted:

Every time I see his name I immediately think of Chris Simon and then I'm happy I'm thinking about Chris Simon :unsmith:

pseudodragon
Jun 16, 2007

Twin Cinema posted:

That is a good deal for Dermott. I thought he'd develop into a 2nd pairing guy, but he took a bit of a step back last year. Now, he has a year to show who he is and who he can be.

With Dermott officially resigning, the Leafs now have an interesting dilemma for the expansion draft.

With Rielly, Muzzin and Brodie locked-in, Dermott is the probable Seattle pick on D unless they go 4/4 which would have been unthinkable a month ago but now seems quite possible.

The only must protects up front are the big 4. Mikheyev and Robertson are exempt and Hyman is a UFA who if Pridham has his way, doesn’t resign until after Seattle’s picks are announced. That leaves Kerfoot as 5th on the protection chart.

So barring any other moves, the Leafs have a choice between dangling Kerfoot or Dermott. Or maybe Holl if he outplays Dermott significantly but Travis has age/contract on his side. I don’t think they have anyone else they’d care about losing

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

another game at nationwide arena. everybody keeps asking me if they can fuck the cannon. buddy, they don't even let me fuck it

The Athletic says Columbus had an offer of 7 years/$5M per for Josh Anderson and decided to flip him when he wouldn't make up his mind.

I'm glad he saved them from themselves.

aejix posted:

Just spent half an hour trying to find it and am beginning to wonder if I just imagined it but Once in a Lifetime by talking heads came on the other day and I remembered someone here (I think zodijacky? Maybe wamsutta or rotten cookies?) wrote up a bunch of lyrics for it. I can't remember it all and am probably getting it wrong but they were like:

Etc

Sent to the Q again
After the money's gone

I distinctly remember Zodijackylite doing a parody of the Scooby Doo theme song to celebrate Brandon Dubinsky after the MAF Goal in the 2014 playoffs.

fits
Jan 1, 2008

Love Always,
The Captain

aejix posted:

Etc

Sent to the Q again
After the money's gone

it was rotten cookies

quote:

And you may ask yourself
How do I work this?
And you may ask yourself
Where is my hfboards deal
And you may tell yourself
I'm not playing in Lou's house
And you may tell yourself
This is not my Kuhnackl wife!

Letting the games go by, let the 4th line hold me down
Letting the games go by, constantly called up and sent down
Into the A again after the IR's gone
Once in a lifetime, wasted talent getting sent down

stab
Feb 12, 2003

To you from failing hands we throw the torch, be yours to hold it high
The flames signed Nikita Nesterov, he who hasn't played in the NHL in 3 years and who was buttfuck terrible when he did.

Why

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

another game at nationwide arena. everybody keeps asking me if they can fuck the cannon. buddy, they don't even let me fuck it

Back to the article from The Athletic about Doc again:

quote:

The first two games were in Pittsburgh, and Phil (Esposito) and I were calling the games from Tampa Bay because my wife, Dulcie, was battling breast cancer. Doc was in Pittsburgh and he was like, “Where’s Dave?” He didn’t know what was going on, so somebody told him and he immediately reached out.

During the Pittsburgh series and the next series (because Tampa got eliminated), he would go to different churches and light a candle for my wife. He would take a picture and then send it to me. I probably have five or six pictures. But Doc didn’t stop there. Dulcie’s treatment called for chemotherapy first and then surgery during the summer, and he sent me another text during the summer, and said, “Your wife had a surgery upcoming … just checking in.”

You hear about him being a Hall of Fame broadcaster, he’s one of a kind. But as great of a broadcaster he is, he’s an even better person.

Gut dang.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

aejix
Sep 18, 2007

It's about finding that next group of core players we can win with in the next 6, 8, 10 years. Let's face it, it's hard for 20-, 21-, 22-year-olds to lead an NHL team. Look at the playoffs.

That quote is from fucking 2018. Fuck you Jim
Pillbug

fits posted:

it was rotten cookies

Magic

You are a gentleman and a scholar