Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Darude - Adam Sandstorm
Aug 16, 2012

Is the Oiler Smid?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

https://twitter.com/andymoney69/status/832791521644539905

doomocrat reminded us of a Very Good Thing

WeaponX
Jul 28, 2008

Doc’s thesaurus-laden way of announcing always annoyed the hell out of me but he seems like a real good dude and I would take his eccentricities over Pierre and Milbury’s horrible (and harmful) takes any day.

WeaponX fucked around with this message at 15:51 on Oct 19, 2020

Spelling Mitsake
Oct 4, 2007

Clutch Cargo wishes they had Tractor.
https://youtu.be/Jbsgtf986qQ

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010
Doc's the only PBP guy who avoided grating on me in video games

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

Norris'es are back baby. It's good again. Awoouu (fox Howl)

lmbo

grassy gnoll
Aug 27, 2006

The pawsting business is tough work.
I hope that some day I can love a thing as much as Doc loves hockey.

If Forslund doesn't take his place, truly we have strayed from God's love.

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

We're off to Gritty Gritty land

WHAT A DRIVE BY EMERICK ALL THE WAY TO RETIREMENT

:rip:

MaoistBanker
Sep 11, 2001

For Sound Financial Pranning!
Emrick Succession Preference as National Broadcaster Order:

1) Gord Miller (best calls, best ability, can he get out of other TSN requirements to do the job?)
2) Kenny Albert (Likely Doc's successor as he currently is Doc's stand-in and officially #2 with NBC for hockey- he just has so many different responsibilities especially with NFL on Fox, can he do full-time #1 broadcast duty?)
3) John Forslund (best RSN/early playoff broadcast in America - lacks the personality and gravitas for the biggest games, IMO)
4) Alex Faust (clearly being groomed for bigger national role with NBC if they continue as NHL rightsholder, perhaps takes over Albert role if Kenny gets promoted up?)
5) Mike Tirico (lol)

MaoistBanker fucked around with this message at 16:15 on Oct 19, 2020

Bregor
May 31, 2013

People are idiots, Leslie.
Joe Beninati for the suits alone

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Bregor posted:

Joe Beninati for the suits alone

He was awful his first time around the national broadcasts. Washington can keep him.

Chad Sexington
May 26, 2005

I think he made a beautiful post and did a great job and he is good.
I grew up watching the Devils, so I've got a soft spot for Doc. I love his weird verbiage and the way his voice cracks. Pure enthusiasm and not a mean bone in his body.

Absolutely not for Joe B. He's hitting his ceiling in local broadcasting, I don't think he's the guy you want out front.

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

another game at nationwide arena. everybody keeps asking me if they can fuck the cannon. buddy, they don't even let me fuck it

Every sport has its treasures. Doc is certainly one in hockey.

I didn't realize until combing Twitter today how involved he was in the early promotion of and first game for the CBJ:
https://twitter.com/BlueJacketsNHL/status/1318192979836887041

MaoistBanker posted:

Emrick Succession Preference as National Broadcaster Order:

1) Gord Miller (best calls, best ability, can he get out of other TSN requirements to do the job?)
2) Kenny Albert (Likely Doc's successor as he currently is Doc's stand-in and officially #2 with NBC for hockey- he just has so many different responsibilities especially with NFL on Fox, can he do full-time #1 broadcast duty?)
3) John Forslund (best RSN/early playoff broadcast in America - lacks the personality and gravitas for the biggest games, IMO)
4) Alex Faust (clearly being groomed for bigger national role with NBC if they continue as NHL rightsholder, perhaps takes over Albert role if Kenny gets promoted up?)
5) Mike Tirico (lol)

Swap Forslund and Albert and I'm down with this. I'd have also suggested Rick Peckham had he not also retired. And I like Joe B. :colbert:

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

I don’t want Joe B and Locker going anywhere, I’d cry if they got somebody else to do Caps games.

rex rabidorum vires
Mar 26, 2007

KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN
Bring forth the Jack Edwards.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Yeah I poo poo on Joe more than he probably deserves. He's basically tailor-made to be a regional network homer and he seems to do perfectly fine in that role.

Guy calls a lacrosse game pretty well too, I hear him do some of the early round games when the NCAA tournament gets going.

Bregor
May 31, 2013

People are idiots, Leslie.
I was being ironical, I love Joe B as the eccentric hometown guy but I don't think he plays well on a national broadcast.

Gord Miller has the voice for big game drama IMO, he'd be my top pick but I doubt he's getting away from TSN. Forslund is good too. Kenny Albert's voice reeks of "mid-tier NFL game" to me but whatever. Tirico should just be a studio guy IMO.

rex rabidorum vires posted:

Bring forth the Jack Edwards.

no

Another Bill
Sep 27, 2018

Born on the bayou
died in a cave
bbq and posting
is all I crave

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lVhXZd04hVw

Bring the Swirsk to hockey imo

er: LMAO #8

MaoistBanker
Sep 11, 2001

Joe B had his chance on national games and audiences found his cadence tiring. Great hometown guy, not for the big stage.

Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

YOU'VE GOT A LAFRENIÈRE IN ME
for some reason I have a vague memory that Joe B is a sex pest

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

https://twitter.com/FriedgeHNIC/status/1318240028775108609?s=19

Cool sure I guess that counts as news

The Dirty Burger
Aug 24, 2007

1st team all star
+
2nd degree manslaughter
=
3rd world clothing line

Good bottom 6er from what I saw in Ottawa, was wondering why Dorion didn’t re-sign him then seen he was guaranteed $200k in the minors and it all came together

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

Yeah seems like a cheap pest for the 4th line with enough youth left to perhaps show a bit more. I have no idea why teams invest is useless vets over guys like him.

sedative
Mar 20, 2003

‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ :allears:
I've had this video saved for years. It's the Flyers getting clowned by the Rangers and Steve Mason saving their asses, but Doc's call is so good.

https://streamable.com/ch85

HE STOPPED NAAAASH!

MaoistBanker
Sep 11, 2001

Good payday for a guy who was definitely created in an EA Hockey player name generator 25 minutes ago

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

sedative posted:

I've had this video saved for years. It's the Flyers getting clowned by the Rangers and Steve Mason saving their asses, but Doc's call is so good.

https://streamable.com/ch85

HE STOPPED NAAAASH!

Right after that was the first time in decades I have heard Flyera fans chant a goalie's name. It was surreal.

Zodijackylite
Oct 18, 2005

hello bonjour, en francais we call the bread man l'homme de pain, because pain means bread and we're going to see a lot of pain this year and every nyrfan is looking forward to it and hey tony, can you wait until after my postgame interview to get on your phone? i thought you quit twitter...

Furnaceface posted:

Only defenseman I can remember from that 11/12 Tampa team is Eric Brewer but I doubt it was him. Was Hedman drafted that year or the year after?

e: Edmonton might be Smid? When did he get traded to Calgary?

Brewer is correct!

sportsgenius86 posted:

I’m guessing the two Calgary’s are the same person based on the clue so I’m thinking it’s Giordano.

Correct!

The full list is:

2010-11: Tom Gilbert, EDM (117)
2011-12: Eric Brewer, TBL (119)
2012-13: Mark Giordano, CGY (70)
2013-14: Erik Karlsson, OTT (117)
2014-15: Jack Johnson, CBJ (109)
2015-16: Mark Giordano, CGY (117)
2016-17: Alex Goligoski, ARI (113)
2017-18: Cody Ceci and Erik Karlsson, OTT (121)
2018-19: Ivan Provorov, PHI (129)
2019-20: Filip Hronek, DET (117)

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

MaoistBanker posted:

Good payday for a guy who was definitely created in an EA Hockey player name generator 25 minutes ago

Brayden McStevens, Chase Fitzgregor, Hampus Olstad and Janne Vesellainen are the the future of this league.

Spelling Mitsake
Oct 4, 2007

Clutch Cargo wishes they had Tractor.
How in the world did Tom Gilbert get that kind of ice time? Oh Edmonton.

Kilza
Oct 4, 2013

https://twitter.com/icethetics/status/1318269634445934592

sedative
Mar 20, 2003

‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ :allears:
no thank you

AsInHowe
Jan 11, 2007

red winged angel

This is gonna be great and stupid.

shyduck
Oct 3, 2003

They’re like those fashion jerseys that Starter used to sell

Zat
Jan 16, 2008

Holy poo poo, if those are real it's like they tried to intentionally make legit jerseys that look like they're fakes.

Cocaine Bear
Nov 4, 2011

ACAB

That pens thing is an abomination.

deoju
Jul 11, 2004

All the pieces matter.
Nap Ghost
I like them. Let alternate jerseys be weird. They are only gonna wear them for a few games for a couple of seasons anyway. Then in 15 years we can all talk about how great they were and bring them back.

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

NHL should just go nuts with dumb gimmicks like that this season. It's going to be a bizarre year anyways, might as well go all in on it.

NHL Turn Forward the Clock anyone?

grack
Jan 10, 2012

COACH TOTORO SAY REFEREE CAN BANISH WHISTLE TO LAND OF WIND AND GHOSTS!

ThinkTank posted:

Brayden McStevens, Chase Fitzgregor, Hampus Olstad and Janne Vesellainen are the the future of this league.

You can name someone other than Blue Jackets' prospects, you know.

goldrush
Sep 27, 2005

~~~No Worries~~~
Good price for Gaudette

https://twitter.com/Canucks/status/1318255528695353344?s=19

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

ThinkTank posted:

NHL should just go nuts with dumb gimmicks like that this season. It's going to be a bizarre year anyways, might as well go all in on it.