Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bregor
May 31, 2013

People are idiots, Leslie.

LumpyGumby posted:

Also I wonder what Vegas will do for theirs, or if they're included.

Everyone in full golden plate mail

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Bregor posted:

Everyone in full golden plate mail

now we're talkin

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

Granlund is the one that amazes me. He's been a pretty consistent 60ish point guy for most of his career and is just 28 so relatively young for a UFA. In a pre-COVID world he likely gets 5x$6m from some team an hour into free agency. Hayes and JVR got more than that for lesser bodies of work. I put last year down to the Nashville black hole of offence, and even then he was on pace for 20g and 40pts.

Instead, there's (reportedly) 10 weeks left until the season and he's seemingly garnered no interest. It seems at best he'll get a one year deal for sub $5m with the strong possibility that next year will result in the same thing.

A team could probably get themselves a ton of surplus value by offering him a three year deal for like $4.75m per. I doubt he'd say no and it's a near certainty he'd wildly outperform that contract. At worst he's a decent third line two way forward who can sub in as a scorer with relative ease. Yet no team has any cap space so he sits and waits and the longer this goes on the more likely it is he signs in Russia or settles for a camp invite. It's a weird year.

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

We're off to Gritty Gritty land

I think the NHL own goal'd themselves by having the only salary cap that's so inflexible. NBA has all sorts of exceptions and the NFL cap is not real at all. The cap is never going away, but the players really should have negotiated for the equivalent of the NBA's MLE and all that stuff

rex rabidorum vires
Mar 26, 2007

KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN
I could see the Blue Jackets maybe doing something like that after they sort the PLD contract. Not a lot of teams with the space. I think Detroit might be best positioned to take advantage of it as well potentially New Jersey maybe paying a bit above the odds, but pump their stats and dump as rentals.

Edit: The cap is so inflexible because multiple teams nearly spent themselves into chapter 11 lol.

Cocaine Bear
Nov 4, 2011

ACAB

Stars need scoring depth in the worst way and a piece or two like granlund would own. Buuuut they just had that run so the team will stay exactly the same and probably miss 2 out of the next 3 seasons as best. Plus the cap space is tight and they got like 0 playoff revenue for going to the finals so this is the team!

kalensc
Sep 10, 2003

Only Trust Your Respirator, kupo!
Art/Quote by: Rubby

grassy gnoll posted:

This is only fifty-odd, but it's also just one game.

Well now I need a Daft Punk / Doc Emrick mashup: Harder, Better, Faster, Stronger (Whipped It, Tipped It, Flipped It, Skipped It Remix)

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

Nissin Cup Nudist posted:

I think the NHL own goal'd themselves by having the only salary cap that's so inflexible. NBA has all sorts of exceptions and the NFL cap is not real at all. The cap is never going away, but the players really should have negotiated for the equivalent of the NBA's MLE and all that stuff

The 2005 CBA was the greatest capitulation by a pro sports union in history. The owners played chicken with the lockout and won by a wider margin than they ever could have thought possible.

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

kalensc posted:

Well now I need a Daft Punk / Doc Emrick mashup: Harder, Better, Faster, Stronger (Whipped It, Tipped It, Flipped It, Skipped It Remix)

Boy do I ever have good news for you!

aejix posted:

Here's a primer in the form of a song: https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=Jbsgtf986qQ

Call Your Grandma
Jan 17, 2010

ThinkTank posted:

Granlund is the one that amazes me. He's been a pretty consistent 60ish point guy for most of his career and is just 28 so relatively young for a UFA. In a pre-COVID world he likely gets 5x$6m from some team an hour into free agency. Hayes and JVR got more than that for lesser bodies of work. I put last year down to the Nashville black hole of offence, and even then he was on pace for 20g and 40pts.

Instead, there's (reportedly) 10 weeks left until the season and he's seemingly garnered no interest. It seems at best he'll get a one year deal for sub $5m with the strong possibility that next year will result in the same thing.

A team could probably get themselves a ton of surplus value by offering him a three year deal for like $4.75m per. I doubt he'd say no and it's a near certainty he'd wildly outperform that contract. At worst he's a decent third line two way forward who can sub in as a scorer with relative ease. Yet no team has any cap space so he sits and waits and the longer this goes on the more likely it is he signs in Russia or settles for a camp invite. It's a weird year.

I know I'm quibbling and it's barely a part of your main point, but JVR's body of work before the current contract is one of the best you could get from a 27-28 year old UFA. Six seasons in a row (admittedly pro-rating the lockout season) of 25+ goals is rare. The Flyers contract is going to be bad because the big money contracts always pay declining players for past performances, but he went into UFA right in that sweet spot of age and production where he'd still be getting paid under this offseason's conditions.

AsInHowe
Jan 11, 2007

red winged angel

AsInHowe posted:

The Vegas rumor is the shoulder patch as the main crest.

http://sinbin.vegas/first-look-vegas-golden-knights-reverse-retro-4th-jersey/

https://twitter.com/vgkfan702/status/1318960146991575041

COLUMBUS, I HOPE THAT THIS MEANS YOU'RE GETTING A VERY CHILL BLUE JACKETS JERSEY

AsInHowe fucked around with this message at 18:25 on Oct 21, 2020

Kilza
Oct 4, 2013

https://twitter.com/FriedgeHNIC/status/1318965622320091136

Giving Kris Russell any sort of extension is dumb imho

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

Oh hell yes double down on that trash. Just keep gorging yourself on the detritus that is Smith, Russell, et al Edmonton.

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

Norris'es are back baby. It's good again. Awoouu (fox Howl)
What was the rangers jersey with the crest on it? 77? 82? Do that one pls.

Darude - Adam Sandstorm
Aug 16, 2012

WHAT THE gently caress KEN

edit: lmao this new av

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Yesterday's DGB is a fun one, about which teams in the eastern conference caused some of the rules and traditions the league goes by today

quote:

Tampa Bay Lightning
Thank them for: Formal trade calls

Most fans know about trade calls these days. We hear about them all the time, especially at the deadline, and occasionally we even get to see one. If two teams make a trade, there’s a formal process to go through to register it with the league and make it official.

So it might surprise you to know that formal trade calls are a relatively new rule. Just a few decades ago, things were much more casual. You had to let the league know you’d made a deal, but there were different ways to make that happen, and nobody got too caught up in the details.

Two things changed that. One was the salary cap, which made it important to make sure all the numbers lined up before anything went forward. But before that, there was the Chris Gratton trade.

That came in 1997, when Gratton was a 22-year-old RFA with the Lightning. With rumors swirling of an incoming offer sheet arriving any hour, Tampa GM Phil Esposito decided to trade Gratton first. He found a partner in the Blackhawks and worked out a deal. Racing against the clock, the two teams reached out to inform the league. And that’s when it all fell apart.

According to the Hawks side of the story, GM Bob Murray called Gary Bettman. But the commissioner was on his way into a meeting, and told them to call a relatively unknown league official named Bill Daly. But Daly wasn’t answering his phone, so a frustrated Murray eventually left a message with his wife. As all this was going on, the Flyers swooped in and got Gratton’s signature on an offer sheet.

(I highly recommend this report from the Chicago Tribune that lays it all out, including the hilarious detail of spelling Daly’s name wrong throughout the entire article.)

The whole thing ended in arbitration – you history book readers might remember that this whole mess also involved Esposito claiming the offer sheet was invalid because the fax was smudged – which the Flyers eventually won. And the NHL probably decided that there should be a better process for reporting trades than leaving messages with random employee’s wives.

Wonderllama
Mar 15, 2003

anyone wanna andreyfuck?
I’m Phil Esposito’s fax machine for Halloween.

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

That DGB articles reminded me of the time the Blackhawks lost all their RFAs one summer because Wirtz mailed all their qualifying offers instead of couriering/faxing them and they didn't arrive on time.

In 2000 the Devils straight up forgot to qualify Rafalski and they had to pay him a ton more money than what he'd normally get because he became a free agent.

ThinkTank fucked around with this message at 18:53 on Oct 21, 2020

Spelling Mitsake
Oct 4, 2007

Clutch Cargo wishes they had Tractor.
I hope the Canadiens don't wear a stupid blue jersey.

Misanthrope
Jun 10, 2001

QUACK QUACK QUACK QUACK QUACK
My boss is a massive Oilers fan, so how I've managed to keep my job is beyond me, but anyway he's literally been counting down the days until that 4x4 contract for Russell was done.

Gawd I hope I get to break this news to him.

Darude - Adam Sandstorm
Aug 16, 2012

https://twitter.com/JasonGregor/status/1318984818558865408

that's actually fine!

Kilza
Oct 4, 2013

Future Seattle Kraken Kris Russell

(maybe)

(or maybe Future Seattle Kraken James Neal)

(or maybe even Future Seattle Kraken Zack Kassian)

tarbrush
Feb 7, 2011

ALL ABOARD THE SCOTLAND HYPE TRAIN!

CHOO CHOO
Hang on, doesn't NMC prevent you being exposed?

Darude - Adam Sandstorm
Aug 16, 2012

Not if he waives it, and it depends when it goes into effect.

tarbrush
Feb 7, 2011

ALL ABOARD THE SCOTLAND HYPE TRAIN!

CHOO CHOO
I find it very easy to believe that Ottawa hosed this up.

Darude - Adam Sandstorm
Aug 16, 2012

Oh and the tweet says Russel gets NO NMC, so he doesn't have to be protected.

LumpyGumby
Feb 22, 2012

"Here's the world famous hockey player sitting in the penalty box for slashing..."
-Snoopy Brown
42g - 65a - 107pts
106gp - 317PIMS
Edit: didn't realize it was a Photoshop, nevermind.

AsInHowe
Jan 11, 2007

red winged angel
:ducksiren:

https://www.icethetics.com/news/fourth-jersey-designs-leak-for-golden-knights-ducks

QUACK QUACK

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

https://twitter.com/TheFourthPeriod/status/1318996704432107520?s=19

Panthers leap back into pool they previously jumped out of and then pissed into.

Kuule hain nussivan
Nov 27, 2008

The Finnish league is chugging along despite positive corona tests popping up. Last week a player was pulled in the middle of a game. It was pretty cool when our tracking data was used to identify players in the game who had been close enough to said player tho be considered at risk.

Kilza
Oct 4, 2013

https://twitter.com/EdmontonOilers/status/1319012940482187264

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

another game at nationwide arena. everybody keeps asking me if they can fuck the cannon. buddy, they don't even let me fuck it

Fuckin' hell, they could go with that black and white logo used for the ASG the year the jerseys were made out of recycled bottles on a Chill themed jersey and :circlefap: :getin:

Those VGK jerseys are cool and they probably should have gone with those for the thirds rather than the actual thirds.

Darude - Adam Sandstorm
Aug 16, 2012

https://twitter.com/CapFriendly/status/1319020247798730752

It only took 3 seasons to unwind all of the garbage Chiarelli tied the Oilers into!

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

FIRE CHIARELLI

Oops sorry, must’ve been an uncontrollable automatic reflex post or something.

heehee
Sep 5, 2012

haha wow i cant believe how lucky we got to win :D

lol these are sick

deoju
Jul 11, 2004

All the pieces matter.
Nap Ghost
This would be way better with white instead of red. They might have gone with gold, but they are already doing a gold one I guess.

The wings better swap the red and white on the winged wheel itself for full credit on this inversion thing.

Since we are on the subject...

-Columbus, Chicago, Tampa, Florida (original), and Washington all have cool shoulder patches that would be cool on the chest.

-When two teams with really different color schemes play, they should be able to both wear their darks. Like Detroit vs LA would be ok, NYR vs Montreal would not. It's easier for me to read the player's body language.

-Not all patches should be on the chest. Stuff on the shoulders like NYR's Cup patch in 94, or St. Louis's 50 year patch below the sleeve numbers should be more common. A special patch and a C/A on the chest is too crowded.

-More Goalies should wear colorful pads. Especially tertiary colors, Flames goalie in yellow, Oilers' goailie in orange, Canucks in green. Make that poo poo weird.

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

another game at nationwide arena. everybody keeps asking me if they can fuck the cannon. buddy, they don't even let me fuck it

Keep in mind this will be the 20th anniversary season for the Wild and CBJ, so former jerseys for both of those teams would make almost too much sense.

All those times where I would wear the CBJ Christmas tree Jersey as a one-off in the EA Games since 2008 would have been a prophecy in that case.

The Dirty Burger
Aug 24, 2007

1st team all star
+
2nd degree manslaughter
=
3rd world clothing line
https://twitter.com/frank_seravalli/status/1319269195863949312?s=21

Don’t know what a Director of Hockey Strategy is but I know you can’t get one from the Panthers

Another Bill
Sep 27, 2018

Born on the bayou
died in a cave
bbq and posting
is all I crave

1st task: Strategize how to get the hell out of Florida

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Misanthrope
Jun 10, 2001

QUACK QUACK QUACK QUACK QUACK
I would try not lose to a zamboni driver... strategically of course.