Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

pseudodragon
Jun 16, 2007

grack posted:

Teams actually looking for goaltending (as far as I can tell):

Maybe:
Florida - Bobrovsky was bad last year and Driedger is unproven, though the latter had good numbers in a very small sample size.
St. Louis - Binnington got badly exposed during the playoffs and Husso is totally untested.
Anaheim - Gibson is their guy, but should look for a good backup given that Miller is 40. Miller had a good season last year, but you can't really keep kicking that can down the road.

Who loving knows:
Boston - Is Rask's heart really in to playing? He's got a young family and the world's currently on fire. Hockey may be the last thing he cares about right now.
Colorado - Rumblings that they're looking for a goaltender even though Grubauer and Francouz have been good.

Leafs are somewhere between maybe and who knows. They aren’t looking at adding another goalie, but they might be looking at hopping on the carousel and swapping Freddie for someone if someone they like is available at the right price.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pseudodragon
Jun 16, 2007

Koopa Kid posted:

Yeah I think the important thing is fit. Barrie had all the same strengths and weaknesses of the rest of the lineup and there was nobody to pair him with that could really help him out.

Yeah, I did like Barrie and think he’ll do well in the right situation, but him in the Leafs just didn’t work. Barrie gets his value from 2 things: A partner/system that will let him do Tyson Barrie things (Which are really cool when they work) and bail him out when he needs it, and a team that will let him run the PP show. The first of which the Leafs didn’t have and the second was the one thing their D corps already had covered.

pseudodragon
Jun 16, 2007

Flocons de Jambon posted:

I don't know if the Leafs could match a 1.4 million AAV zero compensation offer sheet on Travis Dermott.

Assuming they do the simple thing of giving Ottawa Johnston’s 3.4 million cap hit/750k salary, they’d have around 2.9 to split on Dermott and Mikheyev, so 1.4 might be doable. But 1.4 is also a pretty big overpay for Dermott based on today’s market so you’d be screwing yourself over as much as you’d be hurting the Leafs so it’s not really in anyone’s best interest to do so. Like is Dermott worth double what Victor Mete got?

pseudodragon
Jun 16, 2007

Drunk Canuck posted:

Depth scoring is replaceable. You need to keep a solid core of top-end players together and add/subtract pieces around them. It's why Lethonen and Mikheyev were signed, it's why Zaitsev was tossed away with depth winger Connor Brown. As much as everyone wants to think that the 3rd and 4th line must be perfect studs, they don't matter much come the post season as long as they give up less goals than they score.

Yeah, depth scoring will be anywhere from iffy to fine depending on if Kerfoot can bounce back and Robertson is ready.

Simmonds and Spezza are shells of their former selves but we’re still at a 30 point pace last year which is fine for a fourth line. And they’ve been pulling random guys like Engvall, Johnsson, Brown, and Mikheyev our of their asses every year to the point where it’s probably safer to assume they’ll have some random dude no ones ever heard of chip in 25-30 points than not.

pseudodragon
Jun 16, 2007

Koopa Kid posted:

If Robertson can handle the NHL he’s probably their 6-7th best forward. I don’t think saving some cap in 23-24 is going to be a consideration.

Especially since we have no idea what's happening with the OHL/AHL, blowing a year of development completely would probably be worse than any long term cap issues.

pseudodragon
Jun 16, 2007

Koopa Kid posted:

Yeah cap space increases as time goes on, cap is counted every day so if you’ve accrued x amount of space over 2/3 of the season you can add a bigger contract over the last 1/3.

But even pro rated $8M is a lot and most teams will be close to capped out this year especially.

If the Sabres are in sell mode, they won’t be adding anyone else so there’s no harm in them retaining half as well so the other team only needs to scrounge up a prorated $4 million.

pseudodragon
Jun 16, 2007

CocoaNuts posted:

Maybe the most impressive thing about Patrick Marleau...

https://twitter.com/reporterchris/status/1316046949863354370

Of course it took Gordie a lot more years because NHL seasons have gotten a lot longer since Howe's day.

25 seasons to Patty’s 22 so far. Howe also had 6 years/419 games in the WHA and considering he had 41 points in his final NHL season after that, it’s probably safe to say he could have played those games in the NHL if he wanted to.

pseudodragon
Jun 16, 2007

Aye Doc posted:

will anyone actually want joe thornton

If he’s willing to take a minimum-ish deal like Marleau or Spezza I’m sure there’s a bunch of teams that would want him.

pseudodragon
Jun 16, 2007

SilvergunSuperman posted:

Holy. loving. poo poo.

I did not remember that, do you think missing out on Roberto Luongo hurt the leafs?

:negative:

Also Kenny Jonsson who was pretty drat solid.

pseudodragon
Jun 16, 2007

Duckman2008 posted:

Turns out, trying to get someone not to do an event by saying “why would your kids think?” Isn’t a great way to change their mind.

There’s a bunch of events where that would probably work. Most of them would involve shady and criminal activity though and not one where the kids are 100% thinking “Awesome! Can I come too?”

pseudodragon
Jun 16, 2007

Twin Cinema posted:

That is a good deal for Dermott. I thought he'd develop into a 2nd pairing guy, but he took a bit of a step back last year. Now, he has a year to show who he is and who he can be.

With Dermott officially resigning, the Leafs now have an interesting dilemma for the expansion draft.

With Rielly, Muzzin and Brodie locked-in, Dermott is the probable Seattle pick on D unless they go 4/4 which would have been unthinkable a month ago but now seems quite possible.

The only must protects up front are the big 4. Mikheyev and Robertson are exempt and Hyman is a UFA who if Pridham has his way, doesn’t resign until after Seattle’s picks are announced. That leaves Kerfoot as 5th on the protection chart.

So barring any other moves, the Leafs have a choice between dangling Kerfoot or Dermott. Or maybe Holl if he outplays Dermott significantly but Travis has age/contract on his side. I don’t think they have anyone else they’d care about losing

pseudodragon
Jun 16, 2007

tarbrush posted:

"Relieved of duties" makes it sounds like he got caught with his hand in the till, not just being bad at his job.

It’s the opposite. Getting fired for sucking gets you “relieved of duties” and outright firing is for bad poo poo. Even if the press says fired, most of the time the team will say relieved of duties unless it’s something weird.

Ie Babcock was relieved of duties, Jim Montgomery was fired.

https://twitter.com/leafspr/status/1197265900874977286?s=21

https://twitter.com/dallasstars/status/1204423056480972801?s=21

Relieved of duties means you still are technically employed by the team and get paid and stuff, you just have no work to do. Firing is GTFO. That’s why you need to ask teams for permission to hire coaches.

pseudodragon
Jun 16, 2007

grack posted:

What happens if they actually got caught loving a chicken?

Then they “resign to spend time with their family.” Basically at that point it’s the Bill Peters option where the team goes “we’re getting our lawyers to write something up saying we’re firing you for being a horrible person and breaking all the personal conduct clauses in your contract. If that happens, you will get no money and get your name dragged through the mud even more. You could fight it and try to get some severance, but we all know how that’s going to end up. Or you can just go away right now and save us the effort.”

pseudodragon
Jun 16, 2007

fisting by many posted:

So that's got to be the second worst draft of all time, right?

(First would be the year Edmonton selected no players at all because they had temporarily ceased to exist while the draft happened)

That was the Blues in in https://nhl.nbcsports.com/2018/07/23/pht-time-machine-when-blues-skipped-nhl-draft/

pseudodragon
Jun 16, 2007

Cocaine Bear posted:

On one hand I could see some analytics stats team ignoring the off ice stuff. On the other, those nerds probably have 4-6 months tops before they get the boot in favour of a fondly remembered player from the 90s or Dale Tallon again.

I’m thinking young geeks that didn’t grow up in an arena are more likely to be woke than the rear end in a top hat hockey men who think this is normal behaviour.

pseudodragon
Jun 16, 2007

Starsfan posted:

Well we know that teams have explored bringing back Slava Voynov after he put his wife's face through a television screen, so there is not much reason to expect a limit on what NHL teams will tolerate to add a piece to their roster.

I do expect this Miller kid will be given a chance to play on someone's AHL team after his college days and work his way up through the system from there.

I absolutely expect some team to give him a shot if he’s good enough. The only question is which team is lovely enough to do it. One thing I do appreciate is that this does give the shitheads in the league a chance to expose themselves so we know who they are.

pseudodragon
Jun 16, 2007

Twin Cinema posted:

The Leafs used a first round pick on Tyler Biggs.

A first and a second to trade up to pick Tyler Biggs.

pseudodragon
Jun 16, 2007

Bregor posted:

Y'all make your jokes but she was definitely popping up a lot more on the websites my wife goes to during the engagement/wedding phase, and I know because she'd be scrolling on her phone and say, "Hey your boy Brooks Laich is on People dot com again". He didn't make her more famous, but any poo poo like that is going to get clicks.

Her wedding would have made those sites if she married someone not famous at all. Your wife just mentioned it because she knew you liked hockey.

At the time of their wedding Laich had most recently played for the Marlies. He played his last 12 NHL games the following year for the Kings, so if either of them was doing it for the clicks, it was Laich.

pseudodragon
Jun 16, 2007

Twin Cinema posted:

I am a hockey fan and I barely know Brooks Laich. And he played on the team I cheer for!

All I remember about him is he was supposed to be the useless vet role model a la Matt Martin and being shocked when Babs/Lou sent him down over rookies Brown and Hyman.

pseudodragon
Jun 16, 2007

Mike_V posted:

Justin Faulk should be #1 based on 1) how unnecessary it was and 2) the cascading effect it had on roster management

You know it’s a good contract when the first line is

“Dom” posted:

Of all the contracts on this list, this one is by far the most unfathomable. With almost every other one, you could at least see the general idea for it when it was signed. The Justin Faulk deal? It was Day 1 bad for multiple reasons.

pseudodragon
Jun 16, 2007

Hirez posted:

worth nothing, $11m then, is $15.5m now.

What was the most one player made in a year, wasn't it Federov making like 45mil or something?

I guess we could also count Mario's $32.5 million payday in 98 ($50m 2020) in the form of ownership; which is probably worth a fuckload more now

$28 in 1998 as part of a 6 year $38 million deal. $2 per year, $14 million up front. The remaining $12 was to be spread out over the next few seasons unless the team made the conference finals, in which case it was payable immediately. Carolina sucked so it was likely they would have paid something like $16/4.4x5, but Detroit was actually good so when they matched, they paid out $28/$2x5.

So the first year cash sucked, but they wound up with 5 years of bargain HoF player after that to balance it out.

pseudodragon
Jun 16, 2007

Seems like something that would be cool for a little bit but could get weird real quick. But still better than Seth Curry in the NBA who just got traded to a team coached by his father-in-law.

pseudodragon
Jun 16, 2007

El Gallinero Gros posted:

Regarding players, Eric Staal is a nice guy, and every person I know in NW Ontario thinks Pronger is an arrogant dick
Eric concussing Marc is the worst family incident, right?
I’m pretty sure the Sutters would have beat the poo poo out of each other both on and off the ice.

pseudodragon
Jun 16, 2007

WeaponX posted:

Teams never let 1st overall picks play in these tournaments outside of lockout years I don’t know why people are making a big deal out of this. I mean I know why but still.

That’s because they’re usually playing in the NHL though, which is reasonably. I don’t think any teams have stopped high picks from going to the WJC if they aren’t in the big leagues since playing in the WjC is better than a couple more weeks in Junior/NCAA/Europe.

pseudodragon
Jun 16, 2007

The entire Toronto-Buffalo rivalry is based around the fact that travelling to Buffalo and Ottawa are the only times actual Leaf fans can afford/get access to see a game so there’s the cool mixed crowds.

pseudodragon
Jun 16, 2007

Arivia posted:

It's gonna be Melnyk, duh. Money, access, and an utter lack of morals to do it.

Katz probably has tons of experience in sleazy pharma purchase orders,

pseudodragon
Jun 16, 2007

Good Soldier Svejk posted:

neither of those two things are anything a GM should be gambling on with long term money like that.

Either that or they're banking on the fact that he has a gritty reputation and can take some faceoffs that he can be a 3rd-line shutdown type center but the advanced stats don't follow that interpretation either.

It's baffling to me still.

On the plus side, he’s a power forward that comes pre-injured so chances are you don’t have to worry about the big money in the years where he’s LTIRed.

pseudodragon
Jun 16, 2007

Hand Knit posted:

I thought it was the federal government blocking things by denying teams special exemptions from the 2 week quarantine after crossing the border. If you have an all-Canadian division, denying the need to cross the border, you can work around that.

Yeah, they were fine with teams already in Canada playing each other. MLS had the 3 Canadian teams play each other repeatedly travelling between Toronto/Montreal/Vancouver for awhile before they ecpxhausted their games against each other and moved south.

pseudodragon
Jun 16, 2007

Call Your Grandma posted:

Well, that's one way to find out Mitch Marner's been traded

Mitch is looking at a Marleau picture yelling "You're not my real dad!" at Joe.

Edit: Willie would have been 7-8 when Michael was a deadline pickup by the Bruins in 2004, Joe’s last full season in Boston.

pseudodragon fucked around with this message at 19:55 on Dec 25, 2020

pseudodragon
Jun 16, 2007

Twin Cinema posted:

They signed Wayne Simmonds. Was there anyone else?

Bogo.

Maybe Thornton too. Not a punchman, but he's the kind of possibly washed old dude I don't mind tossing a minimum depth contract to each year.

pseudodragon
Jun 16, 2007

How many people can start a chirp with “when I was the best in the world” at anything and not be immediately laughed out of the room?

pseudodragon
Jun 16, 2007

DJExile posted:

Rhetorical question but how does anyone get serious consideration when their resume includes being GM of the goddamn Sabres at any point in the last decade

People only get a chance to fail at being a GM if they are good at being an AGM and just because they sucked at the top job doesn’t mean they retroactively suck at a lower level.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pseudodragon
Jun 16, 2007

Cocaine Bear posted:

Anyway, this is a cool wiki: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_NHL_statistical_leaders_by_country

e VV - that's right, got him by like 50 points. loving Wayne.

Heatley loving up the Germany list until Draisitl fixes it is pretty funny. Also, sucks for second gen NHLers like Willy Nylander that could have had a shot at cracking the Swedish list but won’t get anywhere near the Canadian one.