Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

fawning deference
Jul 4, 2018

I figured that would happen. Thank you for those first couple years Cory.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fawning deference
Jul 4, 2018

2m for the next 6 seasons

fawning deference
Jul 4, 2018

Florida dropped Pu

fawning deference
Jul 4, 2018

I thought Murray was bad, but it's interesting that he's actually good just constantly hurt according to SAS. He's a fun one year gamble on a team badly in need of reliable skating defensemen.

fawning deference
Jul 4, 2018

DJExile posted:

He's honestly a tremendous defensive defenseman, guy's just made of glass.

I had no idea he was good at all. Wasn't he drafted as an otherworldly skater and offensive D?

fawning deference
Jul 4, 2018

Spring Break My Heart posted:

No. Even in juniors he was pretty mediocre offensively. You might be thinking of the similarly named Ryan Murphy, who was a fairly high draft pick a year earlier and a huge bust

That's it. Ryan Murphy

fawning deference
Jul 4, 2018

Noon ET is the official start ?

fawning deference
Jul 4, 2018

OK, so the Devils layout here. Forwards under contract who will probably play this season regularly:

Hischier
Hughes
Zajac
Palmieri
Gusev
Wood
Zacha
Bratt
Boqvist
Foote
Kuokkanen
McLeod
Anderson

I'd like to maybe see them get a good 4th line veteran, but they're totally rebuilding and letting the kids play, so I'm fine with this. Gusev and Palmieri will probably be dealt at the deadline for nice assets. Also, can't forget Holtz, who very well may get the green light to play every day.

D:
Subban, Severson, Murray, Butcher as the top 4. Ty Smith has to get his shot this year on the bottom pair. Connor Carrick is the 6th guy. Reilly Walsh should see playing time near the end of the year. I'd like, as per the forwards, for NJ to grab a decent veteran D to cycle in with Carrick. This is a terrible defense, especially if Murray gets hurt.

Blackwood
??? (need a backup)

I'd be pretty down with a Greiss/Blackwood combo. It would make sense.

Anyway, the Devils have $25m in space to extend Blackwood, sign a second goalie, and maybe sign a couple of veterans to cycle in with the kids. But this leads me to believe they can take on a lot of desperate cap dumps from teams for significant packages of picks and young players, and that's the route they ought to go.

I expect a bottom 3 finish for this roster next year and I'm all for continuing to stock the prospect cupboard.

fawning deference fucked around with this message at 22:28 on Oct 9, 2020

fawning deference
Jul 4, 2018

Columbus is apparently making a run for him. They cleared Murray's contract in full. Sign me the gently caress up for Petro, Jones, and Werenski.

Also why the living hell did the Blues sign Justin Faulk to a mega deal when they had Petro to sign

fawning deference
Jul 4, 2018

grack posted:

I'm guessing they expected the cap to keep going up.

It was still seen when it happened as "now they have to clear cap space to give Pietrangelo his monster deal" because even though the cap would have gone up, so would have his demands.

fawning deference
Jul 4, 2018

Is he even capable of playing 10 games? He's a concussion mess
Not pumped about this

Hold the phone he put up a .917 last year? Ok not as bad as I thought. Sure

fawning deference
Jul 4, 2018

So the Islanders are hosed huh? They have to give Pulock and Barzal huge raises and they have 7m in cap and a bunch of bad contracts

fawning deference
Jul 4, 2018

I didn't react well initially, but after actually hearing from SAS and looking at the performances, I am very happy with Ryan Murray and Corey Crawford - it's not a big cap hit, Murray has one year left, and Crawford signed for two. Shrewd stuff and they still have tons of cap. Fitzgerald was saying in an interview a few days ago that patience is a virtue here, and the Devils are probably getting lots of calls from teams who need to dump money. It's a good place to be in.

fawning deference
Jul 4, 2018

rex rabidorum vires posted:

Sami Vatanen probably the best fit available in UFA. Troy Stretcher could do a job on the cheap with a lowered standard of course. Unfortunately Cody Ceci is still available which would be sub-optimal in every way.

Vatanen is low key pretty drat good when he's healthy and would probably be had at a good price considering he was hurt for much of last season.

Also, nobody is really talking about Dadonov, who is, after Hall, the best UFA forward available. He's a possession monster and 60-70 point player every year who would really help a team get over the top with another scorer - the Flyers come to mind.

fawning deference
Jul 4, 2018

Barzal will get matched but I do think a team wanting a defenseman should offer sheet Pulock for like 5yrs/$25m.

fawning deference
Jul 4, 2018

I love Faksa. Good for him

fawning deference
Jul 4, 2018

I just find it so weird that after Hall routinely was saying winning matters most, that he was tired of not getting chances at a Cup, and that he expected player values to decline this year and that was OK for him... He winds up trying to maximize his value for next year and playing on a notoriously terrible Edmonton of the East team. Very strange.

Their top six is talented but really soft and I think Buffalo is still going to get pushed around. They won't be a playoff team even with Hall, especially without a serviceable goaltender.

fawning deference
Jul 4, 2018

That makes no sense unless they're trading Varlamov and going with the risky goalie combo of Sorokin and Schneider which still wouldn't make sense

fawning deference
Jul 4, 2018

Montreal low-key has put together a really nice well-rounded group of forwards now. Nobody elite, but everyone is pretty solid.

Tatar-Danault-Gallagher
Drouin-Suzuki-Anderson
Lehkonen-Kotkaniemi-Toffoli
Byron-Weal-Armia

fawning deference
Jul 4, 2018

Dadonov easily

fawning deference
Jul 4, 2018

Tom Fitzgerald

fawning deference
Jul 4, 2018

I think we all should be cognizant othatteam ownership in all of the major sports has lost an enormous amount of money and sponsors and most are just trying to cut as much fat as they can to take their lumps and retool. The Panthers were already the least-watched, least-attended team in the NHL with barely any playoff success, so it makes total sense that their owner would advise the GM to not take on any significant contracts on players right now. Ottawa is under the cap and had to spend some money, may as well spend it on a guy they can expose to Seattle next season.

fawning deference
Jul 4, 2018

ThinkTank posted:

Someone needs to sign Kovalchuk

New Jersey reunion???

fawning deference
Jul 4, 2018

Kulikov is awful but he's probably better than Connor Carrick.

fawning deference
Jul 4, 2018

That seems like a lot for Toews but he's young and good so whatever.

fawning deference
Jul 4, 2018

So is Vladimir Marchessault

fawning deference
Jul 4, 2018

Pulock signed, 2yrs $5m. Isles have 3.9m in cap now

fawning deference
Jul 4, 2018

The Kings at least have one of the best prospect pools in the league now - outside of Doughty and Quick's contracts they are in a good spot to rebuild and in the next 3-4 years could be quite competitive.

fawning deference
Jul 4, 2018

It's Lou's Way

fawning deference
Jul 4, 2018

"The seaaon starts in January, but we're gonna have the Canucks sit this one out"

fawning deference
Jul 4, 2018

Daemon's last name not being Mailer is a bummer

fawning deference
Jul 4, 2018

Found a fun quiz online - naming every starting goalie on every year every year of the past 10 years besides Vegas. It's not at true hardest level - if you guess a goalie, it auto-fills anywhere that goalie's name is, even if it's for that one off-year on another team, but it's still fu to do.

https://www.sporcle.com/games/wraynor123/nhl-starting-goalies-from-the-last-decade-part-i

I forgot about a couple guys that I'm embarrassed to have forgotten, but I also got some guys I'm pumped to have gotten, so whatever.

fawning deference
Jul 4, 2018

Arivia posted:

note that there's a bunch of spelling mistakes

like corey schneider and cory schneider are two different entries

I didn't notice that because they allow you to only type in the last name! Much easier that way!

fawning deference
Jul 4, 2018

Arivia posted:

oh that also explains their absurd butchering of tuukka then

Yep!

Also count me in as one of the people who forgot Jonas Hiller ever existed.

fawning deference
Jul 4, 2018

Hey all, I made a Hockey Trivia thread in SAS. Let's go wild.

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3951156

fawning deference
Jul 4, 2018

By the way, how come there hasn't been an SAS EHM league? I feel like it would be pretty fun.

fawning deference
Jul 4, 2018

They should just have every team play in Point Roberts, WA

fawning deference
Jul 4, 2018

WeaponX posted:

Jack looked great on the powerplay and on breakaways but got bodied when he had to deal with pressure and people are crazy if they think he doesn’t need to bulk up.

For real - he got tossed around like a rag doll. The skill was there and he was great on the breakout and powerplay as stated, but defensemen would often just fling him off the puck like he was 10 years old. He absolutely needs to get bigger and stronger so he can finish his plays at the NHL level.

fawning deference
Jul 4, 2018

Awesome signing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fawning deference
Jul 4, 2018

Vatanen is an interesting decision, since this will push Kulikov to the 7th D slot, most likely. The Devils' D, if they keep Vatanen on the left side, would be something like:

Murray-Severson
Vatanen-Subban
Smith-Butcher
Kulikov

If Subban has a bounce back year and Murray stays healthy, I can live with that D, especially since I'm high on Ty Smith to contribute quickly.

Yegor Sharangovich is going to make the team out of camp with the run he's been on and it's nice to see.