Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

fits posted:

imagine thinking theres actually going to be a 2021 season starting in january :lol:

I'm thinking it's really going to be the Leafs' year because that would piss the most people off!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

WeaponX posted:

I’m good. Even on a cheap contract why the gently caress does a hockey team need Martin in the year 2021?? He won’t crack 10 points. The Rangers have Trouba, Lindgren, Smith and Lemiuex if you need someone to throw a punch. Would be an absolute waste of a roster spot.

Excuse me but I think you'll find that Matt Martin had 5 playoff goals this season and consider also the success of Matt Murray, another Matt <firstname> with a distinguished playoff career. But if it makes you feel better, some other rando on twitter says it's nonsense:

https://twitter.com/4EverBlueshirts/status/1314298716971507732

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

I'm not sure that Josh Anderson is worth 1.05 David Clarksons yet.

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

HMS Beagle posted:

I'm a casual hockey fan and have only followed the league closely for a few years but maybe you should fire Bergeron?

I am definitely on board with the Bruins firing Bergeron into the sun.

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

bewbies posted:

okay maybe you all weren't overreacting, did this guy really have four points last year?

what is the modern-day record for points to cap hit ratio in a free agent signing? if this isn't shattering that record color me surprised

Jeff Finger, a defenseman, got $3.5Mx4y after a 19-point season and it was one of the worst contracts signed by a particularly dismal Leafs' management group headed by a then-73-year-old Cliff Fletcher.

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

Sure he last scored a goal almost a year ago, but look at the goal! It was marvelous!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6PhHMK9Hktk

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

Guys I have a rumour, your favourite team is going to acquire another team's best player in exchange for some garbage prospect and your worst overpaid trash to balance the cap hits. Don't forget to click like and subscribe.

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

DJExile posted:

if taxes were as big a consideration as The Hockey Internet seems to think it is then Florida, Nashville, and Arizona would be constantly loaded with big name FAs

E: I don't doubt it's a consideration to some degree but if anyone thinks it's the big one then hoo boy I've got some bad news

Sergei Bobrovsky is the second highest paid goalie in the league.

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

Hand Knit posted:

This seems entirely unobjectionable.

How is a cap-strapped team paying $1.5M + NMC for a declining 4th liner unobjectionable? It's trash.

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

Koopa Kid posted:

That is

a lot of money on a goalie. But it’s not like the Sens are hurting for space.

As a wise person once said, you always have plenty of cap space until you don't.

Call Your Grandma posted:

lmao i can't believe your dumb team gave that much money and term to someone so bad and stupid and ugly

New thread title?

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

I assume nobody is laughing at how terribad this is because the Preds have gone back to irrelevant also-rans?

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

Let me know if they find anything worthwhile.

tarbrush posted:

Like, goalie voodoo issues aside it doesn't seem that awful? I thought it was going to be a 7x7 monstrosity

Well he'll be in the top 10 highest paid goalies for probably most of the next 6 years and he's had one good season ever (in which he started 43 games).

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

ThinkTank posted:

His boxcars don't do him justice because the team in front of him was so awful. By pretty much every newer metric he was one of the top 2 or 3 goalies in the league over the past 3 seasons

... what? Even ignoring the contradictions here, he wasn't top 10 in any single metric last season.

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

For Kadri, again?

(Please be reasonable)

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

Call Your Grandma posted:

This is the first time since the lockout the leafs have a roster that doesn't have any giant gaping holes they need to compensate for.

:greencube:

This is basically the same team that got shut out by Columbus twice, only their best right-shooting D is now Justin Holl.

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

https://mobile.twitter.com/HBAnalytica/status/1314954331117027335

I always thought of Craig Smith as the blandest :effort: middle-six forward but apparently he's a fancy stat darling (with miserable playoff counting stats). Anyway, get hosed in Boston, rear end in a top hat!

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

Nobody said that hockey players make the wisest decisions, but I will still laugh at the fact that Barrie sucked so bad last season that he chose to (supposedly) take a pay cut as a UFA.

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

The one thing that stood out about Barrie's last season is how he was advertised as having a great shot but scored a whopping five goals and mostly just fired weak wristers into shinpads even when he had a clear passing lane open. Good riddance.

I was ready for his resurgence when Keefe took over and he did out up more points but he was absolutely dismal in the playoffs at both ends.

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

Is he, though? At least he was an unhealthy scratch most of last season.

I don't know what a Joey Anderson is but godspeed Andreas "Mango" Johnsson, you were marginally above replacement level for a while and then got injured and sucked.

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

Good Soldier Svejk posted:

If you think about it from the perspective of a guy trying to simultaneously maximize his playtime/point padding and guarantee he gets shipped to the team most likely to win the cup he's pretty much guaranteed he can swing both

He could have just signed in Colorado and skipped having to play in Buffalo at all.

Ah, the circle is finally complete.

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

i am the bird posted:

I never quite understood this but isn't there some kind of cap fuckery that happens as the season goes on? Teams always find a way to add salary and I thought it was because contracts have a diminishing impact on the cap further into the year.

Cap hits get added every day I think* so if you spend the the entire first 2/3 of the season $1 million under the cap you can add a $3 million player at the deadline (79*2/3 + 82*1/3 = 80 if that's the cap). It's not fuckery, it's just pro-rating. ELCs also have bonuses that only get added at the end of the season, which occasionally puts some teams over the cap but only applies to the next season.

Of course if you're at or above the cap all season long you can't do a drat thing at the trade deadline unless you shed at least as much salary as you acquire.

* Some teams demote waiver-ineligible prospects on paper to save cap space which seems like a stupid loophole to me and would be avoidable if they just added cap hits every game night instead.

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

grack posted:

Shipping Nate Schmidt out for literally nothing probably helped.

It hasn't happened yet and they'd still be ~$2M over the cap even if it's for literally nothing.

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

Cody Ceci had one of the best GA/60 rel. in the league last season and at least one hfboards poster thinks this means that he is excellent defensively. What's on-ice save percentage or like occasionally making a positive offensive contribution, you ask? Well,

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

Which former CBJ draft pick don't do rebounds?

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

I have a vague memory of captain Sergei Fedorov of the Columbus Blue Jackets, but it may be a fever dream.

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

Dadonov must be thrilled to have the opportunity to play with Brady Tkachuk, Thomas Chabot, and other stars like

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

I want to know what places players typically like to have crosschecked.

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

Twin Cinema posted:

I love Joe Thornton, but...does this team need another veteran? Unless this means Kerfoot is gone, which I think would be a mistake.

Kerfoot kind of sucks, especially for his cap hit, but I don't see how Thornton is an improvement over... uh, anyone currently on the roster. Also the thought of Thornton, Spezza and Simmonds potentially all playing together is terrifying. Imagine them and Muzzin + Holl on D.

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

Zodijackylite posted:

2016-17: ???, ARI (113)
2017-18: Cody Ceci and Erik Karlsson, OTT (121)
2018-19: ???, PHI (129)

OEL and Ghost bear?

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

ThinkTank posted:

NHL should just go nuts with dumb gimmicks like that this season. It's going to be a bizarre year anyways, might as well go all in on it.

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

Brian Burke is just one letter away from being an anagram for Broke Brain.

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

This is a pretty fair deal, assuming he recovers from his injury better than what he showed in the play-in. Someone still needs to be moved out to make room for Dermott, though.

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

Aw man I'm devastated that I won't get to see Team Cleaning Supplies in action.

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

I guess the lesson is not to have a bad season on the last year of your ELC, eh?

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

How many Josh Andersons is that?

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

Huge lost opportunity to have the name on the back read V.E. GREEN, IMO.

Scaramouche posted:

Interesting article posted on 538 about how sports team owners donate to PACS:
https://fivethirtyeight.com/features/inside-the-political-donation-history-of-wealthy-sports-owners/

To the surprise of no one, way Republican. Also the golden Knights guy is a shitbag.

The Pens' Ron Burkle sure is spending a lot of money to play both sides.

Precambrian Video Games fucked around with this message at 18:59 on Oct 28, 2020

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

Wippersnapper posted:

All time greatest Canucks lists must include:

Kyle “Man Possessed” Wellwood

Oh man, I can't believe that they didn't win the Cup while they had Wellwood and Sundin. That's as bad as the Avs flopping with Kariya and Selanne.

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

Oh come on, we all know what the best Kovalev moment is:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IuwFAmqVNSQ

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

grassy gnoll posted:

I'm really struggling to picture the potential Republican voter who would be persuaded by a Canadian hockey commentator. It'd have to be like ten dudes in the UP.

Boomers from Boston suburbs?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

Aphrodite posted:

He’s talking about Cherry dummies, Orr isn’t a commentator.

?? I was talking about Cherry - the only Americans I could imagine giving a poo poo about him are old farts who fondly remember his coaching career.

Anyway, if there's one silver lining to this year so far (there isn't), it's gotta be not having to hear from or about Don Cherry. 🍒!