Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rocket Baby Dolls
Mar 3, 2006

Normally I don't make aesthetic criticisms in other peoples' homes, but that rug looks like a beaver exploded. If meat is murder, then that rug is at least a severe beating.

As you're already aware, this video starts off with a correction from the last video. I didn't intend for it to be this short either, but this was due to the re-do and some further confusion further on into the game making the timings more awkward. I cut the recording of the last planet in the system as I didn't finish it and there was no natural position to cut the video during the footage that I recorded.

This video covers the initial exploration of three out of the four planets in the Cabal system. We meet some interesting characters and more potential ways to be killed by them and everything that surrounds them.

Encyclopedia Entries These entries relate to the Cabal system only. These also include journal entries and people we have met in this video.

Journal Entries

People

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

You know what this feels like? Like the levels of Doom or Build engine (Duke, Blood, etc) games but translated into point and click. In those games the individual levels basically came down to 1 designer molding the assets together into whatever idea they had for it and the eclectic aesthetics in Chronomaster give me much the same vibe.

Loxbourne
Apr 6, 2011

Tomorrow, doom!
But now, tea.
The concept and the game almost work. There's just too much random stuff thrown at the player to be entirely coherent, but the idea of rich people having their own pocket universes that run on arbitrary rules (and someone then loving with those rules) is a lovely one.

I just wish they'd taken the concept further - give the ship different engines so it can move in different physics systems, have debugging commands so you can turn off those tiresome djinn, play around with the idea of being a sort-of Godlike tech support engineer rather than just wandering around doing Sierra-era nursery rhyme puzzles.

Rocket Baby Dolls
Mar 3, 2006

Normally I don't make aesthetic criticisms in other peoples' homes, but that rug looks like a beaver exploded. If meat is murder, then that rug is at least a severe beating.

This is the second part of our trip to Cabal and to be honest and I've never been more thankful that there are guides. Cabal doesn't seem like a fun place to explore and try to make progress blindly, given the fact that we have limited magic makes this world seem like even more of a pain in the arse to get through. It will probably be more fun to explore this world again for the bonus footage.

Encyclopedia Entries - This update will focus on various different companies in the world of Chronomaster.

Journal Entries

People

Rocket Baby Dolls
Mar 3, 2006

Kibayasu posted:

You know what this feels like? Like the levels of Doom or Build engine (Duke, Blood, etc) games but translated into point and click. In those games the individual levels basically came down to 1 designer molding the assets together into whatever idea they had for it and the eclectic aesthetics in Chronomaster give me much the same vibe.

I was thinking that this game reminds me of the graphics from 1st person adventures from around the same era.

Loxbourne posted:

The concept and the game almost work. There's just too much random stuff thrown at the player to be entirely coherent, but the idea of rich people having their own pocket universes that run on arbitrary rules (and someone then loving with those rules) is a lovely one.

I just wish they'd taken the concept further - give the ship different engines so it can move in different physics systems, have debugging commands so you can turn off those tiresome djinn, play around with the idea of being a sort-of Godlike tech support engineer rather than just wandering around doing Sierra-era nursery rhyme puzzles.

If it was made more recently I'm sure they could easily expand upon some of the more interesting concepts. This game is almost twenty-five years old and was released in the same year as Gabriel Knight 2, Discworld, Full Throttle, Star Trek: A Final Unity, Space Quest 6, Torin's Passage and The Dig.

VodeAndreas
Apr 30, 2009

I've seen weirder adventure games, but this one's certainly up there!

I like the idea of travelling between the different fantasy themed universes and working out what the deal is for each one - it gets a bit scattershot with the assorted things you see but, just coherent enough to work.

Rocket Baby Dolls
Mar 3, 2006

VodeAndreas posted:

I've seen weirder adventure games, but this one's certainly up there!

I like the idea of travelling between the different fantasy themed universes and working out what the deal is for each one - it gets a bit scattershot with the assorted things you see but, just coherent enough to work.

In many ways, having a different theme with each world is quite refreshing and the different take on how to approach things keeps things interesting. But I know that without a guide, this part of the game would have been absolute hell for me.

I'm going to work on additional footage for Cabal before I move the playthrough on with Verdy.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

Rocket Baby Dolls posted:

I was thinking that this game reminds me of the graphics from 1st person adventures from around the same era.

I meant more from just a general design. It feels like they might have had different groups make the places and puzzles and then thought up a way to string them together afterwards. Though this is probably a way more common approach than I think.

Rocket Baby Dolls
Mar 3, 2006

Bonus Video (Additional Scenes & Dialogue - Cabal)

I spent a lot of time on this for only a handful of scenes, refusing to contact Milo the second time didn't have any consequences and he left the same message as if you had contacted him. I had a feeling that as the game went on things wouldn't be as fleshed out as in the earlier parts of the game. Timestamps are in the video description:

:siren: Trigger warning, there is a scene involving Korda being hanged at 24 seconds in. Skip to the third scene if you want to avoid it. :siren:

Refusing The Witch, Hanged Man, Playing Cat & Mouse, Open Sesame, Lying To The Priest & Priestess, Refusing To Kneel, Stealing From The Altar, Only One Phoenix, Offering The Sprite Nothing, The Wrong Phrase, Agreeing With The King, Payment To The King, No Contact With Milo, Retreating From Avalon Greer, The Wrong Recipe.

Kibayasu posted:

I meant more from just a general design. It feels like they might have had different groups make the places and puzzles and then thought up a way to string them together afterwards. Though this is probably a way more common approach than I think.

I get you now, for some reason my mind immediately to the graphic design of the game.

Rocket Baby Dolls fucked around with this message at 01:08 on Nov 23, 2020

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

I guess since Jester is technically the ship there isn't any harm is leaving the ball behind but man that's cold.

Rocket Baby Dolls
Mar 3, 2006

Welcome to Verdry, a very strange looking planet with a lot of surreal characters. Some of the puzzles are very obtuse but the game seems to be slightly more helpful with Aurans with giving you clues. But still, there are a couple of strange puzzles to solve. Not to mention that most of this section of the game is taking up with a large and surreal maze which is an absolute pain in the arse to navigate through. The only guide that gives directions to navigate to various mazes throughout the maze is not accurate by quite a big margin. I recorded this video last night and spent an extra twenty minutes re-recording a couple of parts of navigating the maze as I got wildly lost. I've had bad luck with rushing out an update before playing back the recording before so I've held back on this update until now. The next part of Verdry will be a test of my patience and hopefully, it will be finished at some point over the weekend.

Encyclopedia Entries I believe that these are the last of the entries in the encyclopedia, there is only one remaining and I will save it until the end. These entries comprise of some random character entries, a business that I forgot in the last update, a random World and Roger Zelazny himself.

Journal Entry

Rocket Baby Dolls
Mar 3, 2006

Edit: The term "Gerzel" is explained in the Roger Zelazny entry.

Kibayasu posted:

I guess since Jester is technically the ship there isn't any harm is leaving the ball behind but man that's cold.

It's not so bad if Korda already knew that he had more PDA's on the ship, Jester didn't seem to have stayed behind either as she automatically rejoined us when we got back into the ship. I wonder whether Jester works like Holly from Red Dwarf, or wether the PDA automatically shut down when the ship powered up again.

Rocket Baby Dolls fucked around with this message at 15:17 on Nov 27, 2020

Rocket Baby Dolls
Mar 3, 2006

There's going to be a slight delay with the next update. The time that I usually spend doing a test run has been spent trying to map this maze by hand and I feel like I've just been banging my head against a wall for the past half an hour.

Rocket Baby Dolls
Mar 3, 2006

Huzzah, finally this planet is now over and done with. It's not so bad once you know where to go, the problem is finding out where to go and it's a nightmare. It wouldn't be so bad if it was just a normal maze, but many of the routes transport you back to a previous room and from a different direction from what you left it. I've left footage of the directions to each room once, every room that I return too in this video I cut directly to entering the room that I was heading too. There is a direct route to the garden, but I cut that out as you can reach it via the Gemini\Picture rooms. This has been the worst part of the game by a country mile for me. Dyce is the final planet in this LP, let's hope that they can redeem themselves with this ending.

It's probably safe to say that I'm not expecting to have the bonus video up for Verdry within the next couple of days. I have a feeling that it's going to take me a couple of sessions to get it done, I'll probably start in a couple of days time.

Journal Entry

Character Entries

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

Before making a level of pure nonsense its probably a good idea to first ask if other levels are hard enough to follow with just some nonsense. I don't think that was even a fleeting thought.

Rocket Baby Dolls
Mar 3, 2006

Bonus Video (Additional Scenes & Dialogue - Verdry)

Unfortunately, I didn't find a use for the empty medicine bottle or the travel guide to Jurgen. There does seem to be an alternative outcome or scenarios in the next world if you give Merriwind the dreamcatcher though, something which I will explore in the next bonus video. Timestamps are included in the video description.

Grabbing & Departing From Creeping Jenny, Shading Elder & Sage, Eating The Muffin, Visiting The Wrong Planetoid, No Contact With Milo (Part 1), Talking To The Strange Rotund Beast, Pleading & Demanding & Lying To Gemini, Agreeing With Merriwind, Talking To The Bees & Giving Them Pollen, Using The Mental First Aid Kit On The Gibberish Boy and Alternate Smallings Solutions.

I think that I have chosen the next LP to follow this one. The last four LP's that have been outside of a megathread or series have been completely alien to me. The current megathread is now going to be a run of several games alien to me. After this I want to do something nice and familiar before jumping into the deep end again as there are a couple of bizarre games that I'm lining up afterwards.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

Well clearly those solutions made much more sense.

Rocket Baby Dolls
Mar 3, 2006

I'm starting to think even more that Kibayasu is correct with different groups being involved with each world, the more that I play the more that this makes more sense. Dyce feels like they've all come back together and crammed all their remaining ideas into these final encounters.

I made more headway into Dyce than I originally thought that I would. My initial thoughts with this world are that it's taken some of the worse elements of the previous worlds and has sprinkled some of the better elements of them on top. The worse elements are that it's disjointed, hints are severely lacking and there's quite a vast difference of information in a variety of places. On the plus side, we meet a few colourful characters.

I've done a few LP's over the years and this is the first game that's I'm feeling ambivalent towards and it's not even over.

Kibayasu posted:

Well clearly those solutions made much more sense.

I've been using three guides to get through this game, one of them has been partial but was instrumental in alternate solutions to the first three worlds. The only native English walkthrough that I have found has been spotty at the best of times. The Dutch walkthrough has helped with some alternate solutions and has been more consistent. There has been quite a bit of Stick a sickle in the boy's head OR you can give him the "mental" first aid kit instead.

Journal Entries

Character Entries

Kacie
Nov 11, 2010

Imagining a Brave New World
Ramrod XTreme
Apologies if this has already been mentioned, but Dyce appears to be a pocket universe modeled after a Dyson sphere (or shell, as Wikipedia says). https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dyson_sphere

Rocket Baby Dolls
Mar 3, 2006

This is the last video of the main LP, I won't spoil anything but you may already have an inkling of how some of it will turn out. I have some free time tomorrow so I will work on the additional Dyce material, depending on how I feel afterwards I may take a couple of extra steps to replay part of the game again to include a couple of extra additional scenes.

This game has been a little bittersweet to play through. There has been a lot of positives in this game. It's been an enjoyable trip down memory lane for the part that I did play in my youth and it feels good to finally complete it for the first time. Ron Perlman was excellent in the role of Korda, I enjoyed Brent Spiner as Milo but felt like he was under-used. The variety in the worlds with each having their own mechanic has been a nice touch, parts of the game felt well designed and thought out.

But some of the puzzles were needlessly difficult, there were plenty of stupid deaths, being punished for experimenting, the lack of hints in some areas was frustrating and don't even get me started on that fecking maze!

Thank you, everyone, for being a part of this LP. Despite the gripes, this has been enjoyable to play and I'm only saying this because of the three different guides that helped me through it. I'm going to try to get the last bonus video up tomorrow and when I do I will reveal the next LP that I will be starting at some point next week.

Kacie posted:

Apologies if this has already been mentioned, but Dyce appears to be a pocket universe modeled after a Dyson sphere (or shell, as Wikipedia says). https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dyson_sphere

I don't think that it has been mentioned in the playthrough, but Dyce itself is contained within a Dyson sphere.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

I have to admit that I lost the plot on most of the worlds. Not the main "find the saboteur" or eventually the "capture the pirates" part but the immediate kind, such as "Why is this puzzle the one that needs to be solved?" It may be a visually interesting game for its time but I'm not really sure there's much for me to enjoy beyond that. But at least that makes it a good thing to watch!

Rocket Baby Dolls
Mar 3, 2006

(Additional Scenes & Dialogue - Dyce)

This is the final video for this LP thread. I received a comment from someone called "cesium" on the eleventh video who said that Alachra and Avalon Greer re-appeared on Dyce if they hadn't have been previously arrested. That means that I didn't really need to go back and arrest him originally. It's very rare that I have a free afternoon and evening to myself, usually, it's about one or two times a month. Today is one of those days and I decided to replay the game from the original save on Fortuna before I decided to alter the timeline. I've tried to cover as many bases as possible but there are a few items that I didn't seem to find any use for, so I may have missed some things or there isn't any actual use for them. Timestamps are included in the video description:

Failing The Elevator Puzzle, Retreating & Bluffing Deter, The Wrong Control Configuration, Rejecting The Book Mobile, The Deadly Door, The Return Of Avalon Greer, Defeating Avalon Greer, Feeding Merrwind, Threatening & Bluffing Dwistor, The Third Ketter Beast Encounter, Alternative Bomb Choices, The Return Of Alachra, Meeting The Aliens, Refusing Selena, "Surrender" Alternative Ending, "Kill" Alternative Ending.

Next up will be, if all goes well, Grim Fandango - Remastered. It's been on the list for a while and It's something that I'm very much looking forward too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EricFate
Aug 31, 2001

Crumpets. Glorious Crumpets.

Rocket Baby Dolls posted:

Next up will be, if all goes well, Grim Fandango - Remastered. It's been on the list for a while and It's something that I'm very much looking forward too.

Still a very good game with a very fun story.