Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

YeahTubaMike
Mar 24, 2005

*hic* Gotta finish thish . . .
Doctor Rope

gently caress SNEEP posted:

Simps are just what fans of Simple Plan call themselves :confused:

I tried to remember what Simple Plan was famous for, and I thought of "Stacy's Mom", "Fat Lip", and "Lifestyles of the Rich and Famous". What was the Simple Plan song that was like, a thing?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Disco Pope
Dec 6, 2004

Top Class!

YeahTubaMike posted:

I tried to remember what Simple Plan was famous for, and I thought of "Stacy's Mom", "Fat Lip", and "Lifestyles of the Rich and Famous". What was the Simple Plan song that was like, a thing?

"Just a Kid", I think.

Ocean Book
Sep 27, 2010

:yum: - hi
‘You don’t know what it’s like to be me’ probably a shorter title. I’m gonna go listen to it now thanks

e - welcome to my life

Ocean Book fucked around with this message at 20:40 on Oct 11, 2020

Animal-Mother
Feb 14, 2012

RABBIT RABBIT
RABBIT RABBIT
Someday GBS will discover Captain Save-a-Ho's. :allears:

Deep Glove Bruno
Sep 4, 2015

yung swamp thang

Animal-Mother posted:

Someday GBS will discover Captain Save-a-Ho's. :allears:

i wanna be saaaaaved

Floor is lava
May 14, 2007

Fallen Rib
you gotta be an incel(ibate) and a simp(leton) to be cool these days

lit

New Coke
Nov 28, 2009

WILL AMOUNT TO NOTHING IN LIFE.
I always found it funny how left wing and right wing internet people used the terms 'nice guy' and 'simp', respectively, to refer to the same thing. They both criticize men who act really fawning towards women they're trying to get with, but 'nice guy' seems to criticise them more for the assuming that it makes them entitled to the woman's affection, while 'simp' seems to criticize them for failing to recognize that women are fundamentally cold, machiavellian creatures who respect only unbridled power

phasmid
Jan 16, 2015

Booty Shaker
SILENT MAJORITY

New Coke posted:

I always found it funny how left wing and right wing internet people used the terms 'nice guy' and 'simp', respectively, to refer to the same thing. They both criticize men who act really fawning towards women they're trying to get with, but 'nice guy' seems to criticise them more for the assuming that it makes them entitled to the woman's affection, while 'simp' seems to criticize them for failing to recognize that women are fundamentally cold, machiavellian creatures who respect only unbridled power

But what do smart, capable ladies/goldbricking whores think about all of this??

Can a man be a macho simp?

Lil Swamp Booger Baby
Aug 1, 1981

Sump pump? More like Simp Pimp

BigBadSteve
Apr 29, 2009

Hypothesis: Guys who bitch and moan a lot about the unapproved use of the term "simp" are some of the simpiest of simps.

JK Fresco
Jul 5, 2019
The word simp is just whites appropriating black slang, as they are wont to do

feelix
Nov 27, 2016
THE ONLY EXERCISE I AM UNFAMILIAR WITH IS EXERCISING MY ABILITY TO MAKE A POST PEOPLE WANT TO READ

New Coke posted:

No one on the world has ever actually been rejected for being too nice. It's an excuse for or a reduction of the actual reasons

Prof. Crocodile
Jun 27, 2020

Lawrence Gilchrist posted:

Theres nothing that can be said about this subject that hasnt already been said by 50 Cent lyrics

to be fair, you can say that about any subject.

zaepg
Dec 25, 2008

by sebmojo
Simping is fuckboy but on a Chad level. Not sure where OP got the idea of it being a hateful term.

zaepg
Dec 25, 2008

by sebmojo
Hey OP are you a lady. Do you have a Insta. Lemme DM you.

zaepg
Dec 25, 2008

by sebmojo
Ill suck ya dick

tetsuo
May 12, 2001

I am a shaman, magician

zaepg posted:

Simping is fuckboy but on a Chad level. Not sure where OP got the idea of it being a hateful term.
it's got a lot of contexts tbh and it's often leveled as an insult towards men who don't act like caricature aggro "alphas" to women online. Say "nice heals" to a female playing support? wow check out this loving simp.

Pontificating Ass
Aug 2, 2002

What Doth Life?

tetsuo posted:

it's got a lot of contexts tbh and it's often leveled as an insult towards men who don't act like caricature aggro "alphas" to women online. Say "nice heals" to a female playing support? wow check out this loving simp.

hmm I think you are thinking of nice guys

Caesar Saladin
Aug 15, 2004

tetsuo posted:

using the word female instead of woman is weird

tetsuo
May 12, 2001

I am a shaman, magician

Pontificating rear end posted:

hmm I think you are thinking of nice guys
It's used irrespective of the target being a "nice guy" or genuinely nice. It's a very versatile word that's also very dumb imo.

hakimashou
Jul 15, 2002
Upset Trowel

tetsuo posted:

:females:

funeral home DJ
Apr 21, 2003

Pillbug

Lil Swamp Booger Baby posted:

Sump pump? More like Simp Pimp

The inverse of pimping would be paying women money to stay away from you so I think you’re on to something there.

zaepg
Dec 25, 2008

by sebmojo

tetsuo posted:

Yeah 16 year olds say a lot of poo poo. Simp is a thing to me, but I don't call everyone I meet gay anymore like I did at 16. It's a hot new slang that derserves respect but is overused for what it actually is so Ill agree.

ClamdestineBoyster
Aug 15, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
I don’t think most people know how to do much of anything correctly tbh. Like are simps supposed to cry all the time or.. :thunk:

Avynte
Jun 30, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

phasmid
Jan 16, 2015

Booty Shaker
SILENT MAJORITY

zaepg posted:

Yeah 16 year olds say a lot of poo poo. Simp is a thing to me, but I don't call everyone I meet gay anymore like I did at 16. It's a hot new slang that derserves respect but is overused for what it actually is so Ill agree.

Just imagine how us dumbfucks feel. When's going to be our day, huh?

phasmid
Jan 16, 2015

Booty Shaker
SILENT MAJORITY
PSA Don;t use dumbfucks, that's our word.

ClamdestineBoyster
Aug 15, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Haha woops.

Puppy Time
Mar 1, 2005

AHH F/UGH posted:

Actual simps are going into the weird streamer-viewer relationship with the express knowledge and intent of not getting anything in return as a way to show how non-sexual they are, in a weird attempt to make themselves seem not like creeps and win over their desired streamer (leading to having a chance to grow the relationship into sex, in their head). It's a weird push and pull of being sexually attracted to someone (that you can't get) and trying to show them just how okay you are that all you'll ever have is a platonic love through giving them all of your money and time.

This was called courtly love in the olden days. Which also featured massive plagues.

So I guess we need to find someone to pull a sword out of a rock somewhere.

Poohs Packin
Jan 13, 2019

Even the mini fridge doesnt want to be there.

Grevling
Dec 18, 2016

All I know is you're not supposed to do it in September. Thankfully it's October now so it's open season for simping.

Blockade
Oct 22, 2008

I used to have a rule about only simping after dark but now I can't control myself and do it all the time, even at work

blatman
May 10, 2009

14 inc dont mez

simpin' aint easy

from what I understand it costs a lot of money

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)
It was started by incels who thought anyone giving women attention were simpletons

Then it was absorbed into internet "culture" (lol) and became a general term for like, those guys who spend all day in popular female streamers channels giving them all their money

JK Fresco
Jul 5, 2019

The_Continental posted:

Even the mini fridge doesnt want to be there.

Lol

Simone Magus
Sep 30, 2020

by VideoGames
A lot of the reason it's a terrible meme is that the guys involved are thinking like this:

"Since men in society obviously have all the power and control, it is noteworthy for me to loudly and frequently proclaim that this woman controls me". It's sexist as hell, like how it used to be considered "humorous" to show a man and a woman fighting because "obviously" the man would win

Badactura
Feb 14, 2019

My wish lives in the future.
In my day when we wanted to impugn someone's masculinity because they expressed wrong emotions want we just called them f words

rodbeard
Jul 21, 2005

Zzulu posted:

It was started by incels who thought anyone giving women attention were simpletons

Then it was absorbed into internet "culture" (lol) and became a general term for like, those guys who spend all day in popular female streamers channels giving them all their money

Yeah that's why I'm okay with the word. It started out as a generic altright woman hating term but it got repurposed to describe a very real thing that happens that didn't really have a word for it yet.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Best Bi Geek Squid
Mar 25, 2016
hell yeah I’m a

S ingle
I nvoluntarily celibate
M ale
P odophile (feet, not kids)