Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Universe Master
Jun 20, 2005

Darn Fine Pie

Milo and POTUS posted:

What's this from

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZgdUWXf8jJk&t=90s

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lord Frankenstyle
Dec 3, 2005

Mmmm,
You smell like Lysol Wipes.
A bunch of people crash on an island. A ton of mysterious bat poo poo hosed up implications are made as to what's really going on. Three episodes from the end of season 1 the viewer realizes the writers are setting up stuff with no idea where to go with it and making promises they are never going to be able to deliver on, and the viewer stops wasting their time watching this stupid poo poo.

A decade and a half later a mysterious thread appears on the internet about a show the viewer had "Lost" to faded memories and confirms an opinion once made but long forgotten. How meta.

And that viewers name was Albert Einstein's Skeleton.

*Now that I think about Game of Thrones totally stole it's whole general concept from Lost.

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

"Carbons? Purge? What are you talking about?!"

the one where the island is purgatory is Arrow, guys, and they only call it purgatory in chinese

Tofu Injection
Feb 10, 2006

No need to panic.
The world's moral compass got hosed up and has to be unplugged and plugged back in, like resetting a router. Also there is a cool dog.

B Squad Leader
Nov 1, 2009

Bug-eyed bad guy Ben got his rear end kicked about twice per season, and teenage me skimmed a TV Guide interview where the actor said something like "I'm the most beaten character in television history" and that was more than 10 years ago and I still remember it so maybe it's true

Sex Skeleton
Aug 16, 2018

For when lonely nights turn bonely
Did anyone interview the polar bear? I was wondering if he had any insights into the plot or the origin of the fish cakes.

Johnny Aztec
Jan 30, 2005

by Hand Knit

Universe Master posted:

They were definitely in purgatory in the final season. The "mystery" is whether they were there all along.

Okay but see, the last season was like...a flash-sideways alternate timeline where the nuke got set off in the 1970s and sank the island (FOR SOME REASON).

Pee pee poo poo Lost is a bad show

Guttlesswonder
Mar 17, 2006

I'll take two adult and two kids tickets for "Alien Erection" please

Caesar Saladin posted:

they are not in purgatory

the last season they are actually in purgatory

its just a magic island

Really, that is even dumber. Just read an article confirming this. A lovely spiritual circle jerk about destiny.

dirty shrimp money
Jan 8, 2001

A cheerleader gets stranded on an island after a plane crash and a Stephen King movie breaks out where she has 24 hours to get to some button and save the world

Apparently the show was so popular it created a whole genre of big budget TV

crispix
Mar 28, 2015

Grand-Maman m'a raconté
(Les éditions des amitiés franco-québécoises)

Hello, dear
Monk was a much better television show imo

ninjoatse.cx
Apr 9, 2005

Fun Shoe
I've never seen an episode of Lost, but my mom watched it and said it was confusing.

Some people are on a plane and it crashes. They end up on a mysterious island, and there are aliens and/or sci-fi poo poo there. There are dramatic reveals that what they see is not all there is, and the characterization of peoples' morality becomes a centerpoint of the show. Some guy or gal who was designed to be the audience favorite bites it, and everyone is sad. Then there is like one guy left and we discover it's all a dream and nothing in the show made any lick of difference because the writers didn't know how to end the thing.

How'd I do?

big nipples big life
May 12, 2014

UltraRed posted:

How'd I do?

I didn't even read your post but since it's about the plot of Lost I can tell you that you are not wrong.

Some Strange Flea
Apr 9, 2010

AAA
Pillbug
I liked it when they had Zepp in a cupboard for six eps.

I liked when the Scotch man from The 100 got hosed up on a boat because he couldn’t find his wife in the past.

I liked it when the blonde lady hit a nuke with a rock so good that the 70s ragequit on her.

Bodhidharma
Jul 2, 2011

"virgin no more! virgin no more!" i continue to insist as i slowly shrink and transform into a corn cob
https://youtu.be/TZ0hFSLPOJE

WhyteRyce
Dec 30, 2001

The ending was really dumb and it was fantastic when they go to the church and the guy was like "I'm Christian Shepard :haw:" and everyone face palms for how ham handed it was. Also everyone needed to wait in the church for everyone to show up because everyone on the island was connected and so important. Except for Leti or whatever her name was, she's being left behind to serve as a traffic cop for the rest of eternity?

Sayid spends his happily ever after with a person he was with for like 4 hours instead of his wife

It's been so long that so many TV nerds feel empowered to come out of shameful hiding and rave about how great Lost was anywhere they can because no one cares enough about that show now to give them a wedgie

I watched The Leftovers despite hating how Lost ended and knowing 100% full well that the show would end similarly and, surprise surprise, it was some crap too but that's 100% on me

Also remember when the smoke monster made mechanical and chain sounds so people thought it was just some steam punk island defense mechanism but nope turns out it's a dude? Also The Others brainwashed people for some reason? I mean, I'm sure they gave a reason but that reason ultimately means nothing because it seemed like the inhabitants of the island are ultimately meaningless?

Remember when ABC hyped up an episode by saying "Next episode one of the mysteries of the show will be revealed" and it turned out to be how Jack got his tattoo

WhyteRyce fucked around with this message at 21:29 on Oct 12, 2020

Some Strange Flea
Apr 9, 2010

AAA
Pillbug
Just remembered: It was actually two islands.

Funky See Funky Do
Aug 20, 2013
STILL TRYING HARD

WhyteRyce posted:

The ending was really dumb and it was fantastic when they go to the church and the guy was like "I'm Christian Shepard :haw:" and everyone face palms for how ham handed it was. Also everyone needed to wait in the church for everyone to show up because everyone on the island was connected and so important. Except for Leti or whatever her name was, she's being left behind to serve as a traffic cop for the rest of eternity?

Sayid spends his happily ever after with a person he was with for like 4 hours instead of his wife

It's been so long that so many TV nerds feel empowered to come out of shameful hiding and rave about how great Lost was anywhere they can because no one cares enough about that show now to give them a wedgie

I watched The Leftovers despite hating how Lost ended and knowing 100% full well that the show would end similarly and, surprise surprise, it was some crap too but that's 100% on me

Also remember when the smoke monster made mechanical and chain sounds so people thought it was just some steam punk island defense mechanism but nope turns out it's a dude? Also The Others brainwashed people for some reason? I mean, I'm sure they gave a reason but that reason ultimately means nothing because it seemed like the inhabitants of the island are ultimately meaningless?

Remember when ABC hyped up an episode by saying "Next episode one of the mysteries of the show will be revealed" and it turned out to be how Jack got his tattoo

He stands in front of a stained glass window that contains the symbols for every major religion on it. It's so bad.

toggle
Nov 7, 2005

Who was the goon who had the avatar that had "gently caress penny's butt" written on the junkies hand? Always made me chuckle

Or the other one that had the dick butt drawing in the mysterious letter?

Some good poo poo

WhyteRyce
Dec 30, 2001

Remember when some character would show up in the background of some other characters flashback and people would nut themselves over the reveal. It started cool with things like Hurley buying Locke's box company but then they ran out of ideas and did stuff like have Hurley's girlfriend show up out of no where and finance Desmond's boat for some reason.

Also Hurley's girlfriend was in the mental ward with him but nothing came of that either

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

WhyteRyce posted:

who the hell is leti

WhyteRyce
Dec 30, 2001

Milo and POTUS posted:

who the hell is leti

whoever michelle rodriguez is in the show I just went with her F&F name

Guttlesswonder
Mar 17, 2006

Milo and POTUS posted:

who the hell is leti

Family...except for when she wasn't, but that was just car wreck amnesia. So she was really family the whole time. Unlike Shaw, he will always be trash.

Guttlesswonder fucked around with this message at 01:44 on Oct 13, 2020

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

"Carbons? Purge? What are you talking about?!"

remember when the middle eastern character had a background as a torturer and then turned Magic Evil in the last season lol

Caesar Saladin
Aug 15, 2004

you guys can say it was a bad show, which it definitely was, but it was really fun to watch while it was on

Guttlesswonder
Mar 17, 2006

Caesar Saladin posted:

you guys can say it was a bad show, which it definitely was, but it was really fun to watch while it was on

You aren't wrong. It was fun enough that we made Darma Initiative brand snacks for the last show. I still have one of the sodas in my china cabinet.

big nipples big life
May 12, 2014

Caesar Saladin posted:

this is true.

Oscar Wilde Bunch
Jun 12, 2012

Grimey Drawer
A man crashes on an island, suffers and dies a pointless death after learning that his destiny was to take out and then put back in a cosmic buttplug in the rear end in a top hat of the universe in order to destroy a sentient fart.

Oscar Wilde Bunch fucked around with this message at 02:30 on Oct 13, 2020

naem
May 29, 2011

evangeline Lilly is very attractive and also some other things happen

Kerning Chameleon
Apr 8, 2015

by Cyrano4747

Guttlesswonder posted:

You aren't wrong. It was fun enough that we made Darma Initiative brand snacks for the last show. I still have one of the sodas in my china cabinet.

The Dharma Initiative was legit the coolest part of the show's mythology despite the writers doing everything they could to make people think they were more evil than the genocidal brainwashing island cultists.

The best part of the show was Charlie and Hurley because they felt like actual real people and not just walking soap opera tropes or jokes for the writers at the audience's expense. When Charlie died at the midway point, I kept watching but my heart just wasn't in it anymore because you arrre everrbody!

SIDS Vicious
Jan 1, 1970

some fellas get lost I reckon

Amanda Huggensuck
Nov 8, 2012
I had some friends in high school that got tattoos of each of the weird hatch symbols on their calves and I ket thinking how the hell are you going to explain this to your kids? Oh yeah there was this disappointing sci fi TV show from the mid aughts I liked.

Fartington Butts
Jan 21, 2007

The main guy fuckin' sucks at acting and this show originated as a Castaway tv series before jj abrams got ahold of it

SIDS Vicious
Jan 1, 1970

Fartington Butts posted:

The main guy fuckin' sucks at acting and this show originated as a Castaway tv series before jj abrams got ahold of it

Lmao is this true

gary oldmans diary
Sep 26, 2005
donnie darko has a time-travelling ghost that makes donnie miss his death which creates the time travel ghost so that he can later time-travel back to that moment and die like he was originally going to anyway. its a time loop except theres no way it couldve started in the first place
lost is worse

Edmund Sparkler
Jul 4, 2003
For twelve years, you have been asking: Who is John Galt? This is John Galt speaking. I am the man who loves his life. I am the man who does not sacrifice his love or his values. I am the man who has deprived you of victims and thus has destroyed your world, and if you wish to know why you are peris

If you don't think Tania Raymonde is the hottest woman on Lost, you got issues.

Fartington Butts
Jan 21, 2007

Sid Vicious posted:

Lmao is this true

"Media executive Lloyd Braun of ABC Studios first suggested the idea of a Cast Away–type television series at a dinner party in 2003.[28] Thom Sherman later pitched the idea for Cast Away – The Series, but never developed the idea.[28] The concept was later developed and pitched with the title Nowhere, which later turned into the ABC show Lost.[28]"

Some Strange Flea
Apr 9, 2010

AAA
Pillbug
Sometimes you would believe that events were occurring at a particular place and time (say, a sunny apartment) and then it would turn out that it was actually in a different time and/or place (in this case, in a hole that just had the doors blown off), and as far as I can remember those reveals were usually dope as hell.

Chicken Butt
Oct 27, 2010

Meredith Baxter-Burnout posted:

If you don't think Tania Raymonde is the hottest woman on Lost, you got issues.

Somewhere, Jeff Goldblum nods slowly while smirking creepily.

Zeniel
Oct 18, 2013
All I remember about lost was some flashback scene where someone was visiting some old lady out in the australian outback(which is apparently a few km outside of Sydney because of course it is) and she had the worst attempt at an australian accent I've ever heard. That and there cocaine smuggling priest skeletons and the writers insisting that they had everything planned from the start, which is obvious lie and one that guarantees to backfire in the long run when your show built around cliff hanger episode endings to keep the audience wanting to come back will blow up in your face when inevitably write yourself into more increasingly convoluted corners.

They should just ended it like The Prisoner.

All of that and the main character looking like the most generic main character on american television at the time, late 30's white guy, muscular build, short brown hair with slight facial hair and named Jack.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

The Langoliers but the writers ran out of cocaine 10 minutes into the pilot