Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

madsushi
Apr 19, 2009

Baller.
#essereFerrari
Is there a thread keeping track of how much people are spending this month in the Who Gets To Perma Lowtax competition? Trying to figure out how much I'd need to donate to have a chance at it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

astral
Apr 26, 2004

Katamari Democracy
Jan 19, 2010

Guess what! :love:
Guess what this is? :love:
A Post, Just for you! :love:
Wedge Regret

madsushi posted:

Is there a thread keeping track of how much people are spending this month in the Who Gets To Perma Lowtax competition? Trying to figure out how much I'd need to donate to have a chance at it.

No need to keep track of that. There is already Skyl3lazer who made a thread in GBS and bought a month's worth of avatars and upgrades.

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3944925

Pretty sure he just paved his way to bitch slapping lowtax in the face.

Spinz
Jan 7, 2020

I ordered luscious new gemstones from India and made new earrings for my SA mart thread

Remember my earrings and art are much better than my posting

New stuff starts towards end of page 3 of the thread

madsushi posted:

$100,000

Pigsfeet on Rye
Oct 22, 2008

I'm meat on the hoof

madsushi posted:

SRQ
Nov 9, 2009

honestly with the evasion chat, lol just let lowtax keep re-regging.
that is don't perma him. Just ban him. Repeatedly. Forever. If he wants to waste 10 bux so he can post all of once and get banned again, by all means.

Rev. Bleech_
Oct 19, 2004

~OKAY, WE'LL DRINK TO OUR LEGS!~

Cum-Keepers Crypt posted:

I mean, if you think you're getting around the U.S. surveillance state by using ANY VPN, you've miscalculated in your 4D chess.

https://vpnscam.com/is-nordvpn-a-honeypot/

It doesn't really matter whether or not you use one, you're going to get monitored if there's a reason to monitor you. And probably even if there's not, too.

the real reason most people use a VPN isn't to hide from the government, it's so that their ISP doesn't ding them for torrenting old episodes of Golden Palace and 0day warez

Bronze Fonz
Feb 14, 2019

Video Nasty posted:

So if I make a donation now, does it go towards the forums?
Is that right?

If you're such a sheep that you believe Jefferey isn't Lowtax, sure!

colbyjackcheese
Jan 8, 2006
What time tomorrow will Mayor Wilkins be doing his acceptance speech when he returns to mod?

Rev. Bleech_
Oct 19, 2004

~OKAY, WE'LL DRINK TO OUR LEGS!~

SRQ posted:

honestly with the evasion chat, lol just let lowtax keep re-regging.
that is don't perma him. Just ban him. Repeatedly. Forever. If he wants to waste 10 bux so he can post all of once and get banned again, by all means.

Ironically, Lowtax starts finally bearing some of the financial burden of the site through dozens of re-regs every month

Meow Tse-tung
Oct 11, 2004

No one cat should have all that power

Rev. Bleech_ posted:

Ironically, Lowtax starts finally bearing some of the financial burden of the site through dozens of re-regs every month

Rereg...or another order of goldbelly. The tyranny of choice

StrangersInTheNight
Dec 31, 2007
ABSOLUTE FUCKING GUDGEON

ratbert90 posted:

Banning Burt would take less than a minute to do. What tire fires are so large that you can't possibly take a few seconds to ban him?

Who What Now posted:

It takes a lot of time to not care about the site.

Tofu Injection posted:

"Im too busy" when pertaining to ludicrously simple tasks is a mainstay of lovely excuses used by people who either don't want to do, or don't care about doing a thing. Given that the dude took the time to respond to several people about it and type paragraphs about how busy he was, I'm going to guess the former. I have no idea why management would want to protect Burt, but it sure seems like they do.

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.
I've been barely involved in this whole thing other than dunking on Scrotewax on Facebook until I got bored with it and removed him, and it's pretty loving obvious to me that the correct answer is ban Burt. I dunno how this isn't already taken care of.

nishi koichi
Feb 16, 2007

everyone feels that way and gives up.
that's how they get away with it.
ban burt so he can quit waggling his dick like a flasher and going neener to the people he hurt. he can rereg and blend in since the staff apparently cannot live without him

Cum AllYeFaithful
Oct 21, 2020

by Fluffdaddy

kastein posted:

I've been barely involved in this whole thing other than dunking on Scrotewax on Facebook until I got bored with it and removed him, and it's pretty loving obvious to me that the correct answer is ban Burt. I dunno how this isn't already taken care of.
This is textbook authoritarianism. They're on step 3: Ignore it and hope it goes away.

When they realize it's not going away, they'll move to step 4: closing threads and issuing probations / bans for discussing Burt, since it will be "derailing".

Traxis
Jul 2, 2006

Burt must have screencaps of mods/admins saying heinous poo poo in the mod forum

Nelson Mandingo
Mar 27, 2005

Cum AllYeFaithful posted:

This is textbook authoritarianism. They're on step 3: Ignore it and hope it goes away.

When they realize it's not going away, they'll move to step 4: closing threads and issuing probations / bans for discussing Burt, since it will be "derailing".

I mean. SA isn't a democracy. Of course they have the authority though? But yeah, gently caress Burt. Just ban him and be done with it. I'm kind of incredulous at how he's untouchable.

lobotomy molo
May 7, 2007

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Traxis posted:

Burt must have screencaps of mods/admins saying heinous poo poo in the mod forum

oh most definitely

It’s the funniest possible option

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Traxis posted:

There have been a lot of very toxic mods/admins over the years, and I think part of that is that Lowtax brought that out in them, but that said they are still responsible for their own behavior here.

Strategic Tea
Sep 1, 2012

Just ban the fucker.

I assume they are scared of setting a precedent and having to ban whoever else people get riled up against for years to come. But these are pretty exceptional circumstances and a purge of Dick's defenders is totally justified :ussr:

Cum AllYeFaithful
Oct 21, 2020

by Fluffdaddy

Nelson Mandingo posted:

I mean. SA isn't a democracy. Of course they have the authority though? But yeah, gently caress Burt. Just ban him and be done with it. I'm kind of incredulous at how he's untouchable.
No it's not, but a lack of transparency and blind deference to authority is a big part of the reason it took so long to be rid of Lowtax. To me, that's a strong argument to question authority here.

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

GET LOSE, YOU CAN'T COMPARE WITH MY POWERS
He already was banned for it. He had a second account and could easily make more, permaban or not. I think his crime is closer to "being pretty dumb" than protecting an abuser on purpose and so I think a ban/demodding was more appropriate than a permaban. I have no idea why he wants to post as his own identity and he will continue to be punished when he stirs poo poo, but I ain't feeling "permaban" on this one. At least this way we know it is him when we ask "who is this guy posting this crap?".

I certainly have told the mods that they are free to punish him in accordance to how annoying his posts are and I suspect that they will (continue) to do so.

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

GET LOSE, YOU CAN'T COMPARE WITH MY POWERS
Can we close the book on this era and close this thread now???

Chef Boyardeez Nuts
Sep 9, 2011

The more you kick against the pricks, the more you suffer.
Is Burt perma banned yet?

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost
alright

if he ever gets any power, ik, mod again i will take out the pitchforks again tho

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Jeffrey of YOSPOS posted:

He already was banned for it. He had a second account and could easily make more, permaban or not. I think his crime is closer to "being pretty dumb" than protecting an abuser on purpose and so I think a ban/demodding was more appropriate than a permaban. I have no idea why he wants to post as his own identity and he will continue to be punished when he stirs poo poo, but I ain't feeling "permaban" on this one. At least this way we know it is him when we ask "who is this guy posting this crap?".

I appreciate you being open about this and giving your honest opinion. Just thinking about what Lowtax would have done, which would be to ban a bunch of people, ignore any questions, and play the victim card.

Chef Boyardeez Nuts
Sep 9, 2011

Well if you, the owner, don't feel a permaban is warranted, who are we, the community, to say otherwise?

Cum AllYeFaithful
Oct 21, 2020

by Fluffdaddy

You're the boss, and you just made your decision. Why ask us?

Heath
Apr 30, 2008

🍂🎃🏞️💦

Do you regularly demean yourself and serious concerns like authoritarian regimes by comparing them to forums drama or are posts this embarrassing not a regular thing for you

DickParasite
Dec 2, 2004

Slippery Tilde

Jeff I agree with your assessment but c'mon you know this crowd they've worked themselves up about Burt and they won't let it go until they find a new target for scorn.

It won't end unless you make discussion bannable or perma Bart.

NB: this isn't a defense of Burt.

Cum AllYeFaithful
Oct 21, 2020

by Fluffdaddy

Heath posted:

Do you regularly demean yourself and serious concerns like authoritarian regimes by comparing them to forums drama or are posts this embarrassing not a regular thing for you
I didn't do that. What real world regime did I compare these forums to? Do you think the world authoritarian only applies to governments?

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost
compromise: 4 year probe

Schweinhund
Oct 23, 2004

:derp:   :kayak:                                     
The vast majority of people posting in those Lowtax accusation threads were treating the accusations like they were false. So Burt banning the people making them was the "democratic" thing to do.

I'm glad the current admins do ~what's right~ instead of going along with the community since they are frequently wrong and stupid.

Cum AllYeFaithful
Oct 21, 2020

by Fluffdaddy

DickParasite posted:

Jeff I agree with your assessment but c'mon you know this crowd they've worked themselves up about Burt and they won't let it go until they find a new target for scorn.

It won't end unless you make discussion bannable or perma Bart.

NB: this isn't a defense of Burt.
Agree with this

Heath
Apr 30, 2008

🍂🎃🏞️💦

I didn't do that. What real world regime did I compare these forums to? Do you think the world authoritarian only applies to governments?

So the answer is "yes"

Azathoth
Apr 3, 2001

As the owner, it is your right to overrule the community. But you saying this won't make threads not detail when he does his "hey look I'm here and I know it pisses you all off" routine in every thread he Kramers into. He's baiting that response now, pretty blatantly, which is frankly deserving of at least a ban on that account.

So if your goal is to get people to stop talking about it, what you're doing is the wrong approach. At a minimum, you'll need to ban his current account and tell him to come back under a new identity before you'll actually be able to close out the books on the Lowtax era.

I don't know if "divest from the Burt identity and come back anonymously" is something in the middle you'd entertain, but you really should.

Chef Boyardeez Nuts
Sep 9, 2011

Why permaban anyone if they can just evade the ban?

:negative:

Bonzo
Mar 11, 2004

Just like Mama used to make it!
Have we ever done Goon Court?

Cum AllYeFaithful
Oct 21, 2020

by Fluffdaddy

Heath posted:

So the answer is "yes"
:jerkbag:

Azathoth posted:

As the owner, it is your right to overrule the community. But you saying this won't make threads not detail when he does his "hey look I'm here and I know it pisses you all off" routine in every thread he Kramers into. He's baiting that response now, pretty blatantly, which is frankly deserving of at least a ban on that account.

So if your goal is to get people to stop talking about it, what you're doing is the wrong approach. At a minimum, you'll need to ban his current account and tell him to come back under a new identity before you'll actually be able to close out the books on the Lowtax era.

I don't know if "divest from the Burt identity and come back anonymously" is something in the middle you'd entertain, but you really should.
This seems like a reasonable compromise.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

lobotomy molo
May 7, 2007

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

I think his crime is closer to "being pretty dumb" than protecting an abuser on purpose and so I think a ban/demodding was more appropriate than a permaban.

well, aside from those effortposts summarizing how people repeatedly PM’d burt evidence of lowtax being an abusive piece of poo poo going all the way back to november, and being told to shut the gently caress up. then burt showing no contrition whatsoever.

There has to be some line where it crosses over from “being dumb” into “willful blindness even if people were getting hurt”, and this seems way the gently caress over that line. Good posters have caught ‘lifetime achievement’ permas for a lot less.