Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

PHIZ KALIFA
Dec 21, 2011

#mood

Jeffrey of YOSPOS posted:

Yeah consider this one revoked - this site would be worse without avshalom.

i've been e-mailing with them and they've expressed contrition about their actions, going so far as to say they were posting in character, but they have zero interest in returning to the community, sadly. :(

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Bonzo posted:

Have we ever done Goon Court?

Didn't we pretty much do this to L*wtax?

HugeGrossBurrito
Mar 20, 2018
I went from liking Burt before all this but sincerely disagreeing with many of his decisions as mod about things like gassing too many threads to feeling like he was incapable of displaying any amount of regret or contrition over the Lowtax poo poo, if it were me I wouldn't be back out of shame, but its not me and I leave the big decisions to Jeff because I respect him greatly. I don't know what to say beyond that, other than that I respect and agree with most of the posters opinions here on the subject but its ultimately not my place to decide this.

HugeGrossBurrito fucked around with this message at 23:46 on Oct 22, 2020

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

GET LOSE, YOU CAN'T COMPARE WITH MY POWERS

Azathoth posted:

As the owner, it is your right to overrule the community. But you saying this won't make threads not detail when he does his "hey look I'm here and I know it pisses you all off" routine in every thread he Kramers into. He's baiting that response now, pretty blatantly, which is frankly deserving of at least a ban on that account.

So if your goal is to get people to stop talking about it, what you're doing is the wrong approach. At a minimum, you'll need to ban his current account and tell him to come back under a new identity before you'll actually be able to close out the books on the Lowtax era.

I don't know if "divest from the Burt identity and come back anonymously" is something in the middle you'd entertain, but you really should.
If he continues posting just to say "neener neener I'm here" then he'll find himself probated and banned in short order. No one is really a fan of that, GBS mods included. My "goal" is to do the right thing, not manage how much discussion there is of a given topic. I think continuing to worry about what burt does is a little strange of you but, hell, who here isn't a little strange?

SpazmasterX
Jul 13, 2006

Wrong about everything XIV related
~fartz~
Holy loving christ this site cost less than $1500 to run per month?

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

GET LOSE, YOU CAN'T COMPARE WITH MY POWERS

SpazmasterX posted:

It was significantly higher before 2016, but yes.

nishi koichi
Feb 16, 2007

everyone feels that way and gives up.
that's how they get away with it.

If he continues posting just to say "neener neener I'm here" then he'll find himself probated and banned in short order. No one is really a fan of that, GBS mods included. My "goal" is to do the right thing, not manage how much discussion there is of a given topic. I think continuing to worry about what burt does is a little strange of you but, hell, who here isn't a little strange?

he’s doing it now, man. why not just ban him and let him come back anonymously? the whole problem is that he’s posting as he is while people know exactly who he is

and really, it’s not strange that people don’t believe in you keeping him around after he aided a lowlife abuser. this is probably tmi but i’ve talked about my own abuse plenty on this site, and people who look the other way (or worse, help abuser scum) should be punished. and one of lt’s exes in another thread even asked “why are you here?”

seriously, what would it take for you to actually care about this?

its all nice on rice
Nov 12, 2006

Sweet, Salty Goodness.

Buglord

So the economy is great!

chaleski
Apr 25, 2014

The fuckface who went the extra mile to cover for Lowtax's abusive behavior sticking around while showing no remorse and being openly antagonistic about it should be a no-brainer permaban and the community seems to agree, but, might as well let him stick around I guess :shrug:

If he continues posting just to say "neener neener I'm here" then he'll find himself probated and banned in short order.

Every time I've seen him since everything blew up he's done that poo poo and the mod/admins usually just tell people not to give him attention instead of, I don't know, deal with the antagonistic poster

SniperWoreConverse
Mar 20, 2010

Gun Saliva

Thanks Obama

My take in Burt has always been idgaf about him but the real problem is having mods like him, being a dumbass with probes is one thing whatever, hiding hosed up poo poo and allowing a place in sa for actually harmful poo poo is insane to me.

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost

SpazmasterX posted:

computers are fast hth

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

Thanks for the explanation Jeff, it is appreciated. While most of us may not agree, I hope we’re all willing to give you the benefit of the doubt and let it go for now. Odds are Burt will likely doom himself down the road anyway. We’re still extremely thankful for wrestling our home away from Lowtax, there’s nothing more to be gained by continuing to beat the drums over this.

Cartoon Man fucked around with this message at 23:43 on Oct 22, 2020

PHIZ KALIFA
Dec 21, 2011

#mood
every month the forums pick a new main character and the goal of posting is to never, ever get picked.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

chaleski posted:

The fuckface who went the extra mile to cover for Lowtax's abusive behavior sticking around while showing no remorse and being openly antagonistic about it should be a no-brainer permaban and the community seems to agree, but, might as well let him stick around I guess :shrug:

The community. I doubt very much that the community cares either way. Yes, the people still talking about it agree with you, because people who don't have strong feelings about it got annoyed by stale drama pages ago and wandered off, but that doesn't mean the dozen posters still shouting about it represent "the community".

Burt has been demodded. Burt has eaten a ban. Burt has apologised (but apparently not well enough).

I doubt anyone here can say for certain whether the community as a whole considers that sufficient punishment. Wouldn't we need a poll or something to tell? Governing based on whoever shouts the loudest and longest is silly. "We're gonna poo poo up the threads any time this guy posts so you may as well permaban him" isn't exactly arguing in good faith.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pigsfeet on Rye
Oct 22, 2008

I'm meat on the hoof

HugeGrossBurrito posted:

I went from liking Burt before all this but sincerely disagreeing with many of his decisions as mod about things like gassing too many threads to feeling like he was incapable of displaying any amount of regret or contrition over the Lowtax poo poo, if it were me I wouldn't be back out of shame, but its not me and I leave the big decisions to Jeff because I respect him greatly. I don't know what to say beyond that, other than that I respect and agree with most of the posters opinions here on the subject but its ultimately not my place to decide this.

What HGB said. I started this thread because Loltax is such a colossal piece of poo poo, but it's devolved into a bunch of goons chasing their tails over Squart Sexual. gently caress this, just drop it.