Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Artix
Apr 26, 2010

He's finally back,
to kick some tail!
And this time,
he's goin' to jail!
Part 52: The Plan

We've gone through everyone's quests, which means it's time for the main event. And boy, do they have a doozy of a plan to get into Cor Hydrae.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Artix
Apr 26, 2010

He's finally back,
to kick some tail!
And this time,
he's goin' to jail!
Part 53: Cor Hydrae Castle (Part 1)

I don't blame anyone who was overwhelmed by how incredible last video's plan was, but don't stop now because we're about to face a foe far scarier than any boss the game can throw at us: The Level Designer.

Artix
Apr 26, 2010

He's finally back,
to kick some tail!
And this time,
he's goin' to jail!
Part 54: Cor Hydrae Castle (Part 2)

The second half of Cor Hydrae is about as exciting as the first half, thankfully with 100% less teleporter mazes. And our reward for this is...another rehashed God fight. Thanks game, you're the best.

Artix
Apr 26, 2010

He's finally back,
to kick some tail!
And this time,
he's goin' to jail!
Part 55: The Final Battle

It's Malpercio! In his Final Form™ no less. It's a hard fight that will stomp you if you're not ready for it, and it's a lot of fun to build the kind of decks that can run the damage race with him. It turns out that Big Numbers™ can in fact be a gimmick once the numbers are big and frequent enough.

Artix
Apr 26, 2010

He's finally back,
to kick some tail!
And this time,
he's goin' to jail!
Part 56: O Mighty Ocean...

And with that, we're done. The ending goes on for way, way too long, the big sendoff scene is completely superfluous, but they nailed the Xelha bit...right up until they didn't, but whatever, it's a JRPG and we all saw that coming from a mile away.

But yeah, that's Baten Kaitos. It's rough in a lot of places, and I kinda wish someone would take another crack at a full-fat RPG like this because most of the egregious design kinks are stuff that we've...solved, for lack of a better word here in 2021. But until then, this is what we have to work with, and I love it all the same. Thanks for watching folks.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Artix
Apr 26, 2010

He's finally back,
to kick some tail!
And this time,
he's goin' to jail!
Well it took a little longer than I anticipated to get here but we made it to the archive. If you haven't been following along, we've moved on to Tokyo Xanadu, or if Donkey Kong is more your thing I've been playing a romhack called DKC: Unveiled. Thanks for watching, guys!