Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

cailleask
May 6, 2007

This is Nova, who despite being a quarantine puppy (we got her from foster at 10 weeks old in March) is the most social creature I’ve ever seen. She loves EVERYONE and EVERYTHING - she was very heavily socialized in foster before covid locked us all down, but I think a lot of it is just her personality.

She was at the vet the other day, and the vet tech commented on it, laughing, because she was JUST SO DELIGHTED TO BE AT THE VET that she was 60lbs of wiggly joy that was really tough to actually examine.

We’re working on the jumping up part of her PEOPLE EXCITEMENT OMG and definitely some progress since she’s gotten a bit older. Otherwise she’s definitely the smartest, friendliest, and easiest to train dog I’ve ever had.

She’s a crazy mix of husky and Pyrenees and English bulldog and pit bull and ????, put into the extra blender of having littermate parents.

She’s a pretty great family dog, with the only the small hitches of jumping on people, and also alert barking her fool head off at every fly and car that comes within 10 feet of our property.

Sometimes puppies just turn out awesome despite us, I guess!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cailleask
May 6, 2007

Instant Jellyfish posted:

Eyebrow dogs are always the best :3:

Scout is also wildly excited to meet people and we're working hard on the jumping with limited success. It's hard to convince her that not everyone is there to meet her when it turns out most people really want to meet a puppy.

It was easier when she was obviously a puppy, but now she’s a stocky 60lb creature with a deep bark who looks NOTHING like a 9 month old baby, so people are understandably wary of her charging at them.

But she’s a huge snuggle monster and also pretty sure she’s a lapdog and has never even so much as shown a tooth at either of my kids - all attention is good attention. There doesn’t appear to be a human-aggressive bone in her body.

cailleask
May 6, 2007

Dog parks have been HUUUUGE for me socializing this covid-puppy. She gets to wiggle up to random people while also running her butt off. Win-win! Her favorite game is full-speed chest smash, followed closely by throwing punches. Bonus is that they get her so tired she slept through all the fireworks last night!

Also her first birthday is in a couple days and :aaa:

cailleask
May 6, 2007

I’ve found a hole in puppy’s socialization - she’s nippy with kids that she thinks are too up in her business. I don’t mean it as a euphemism for snapping, at least... she just nips to back them up. Doesn’t actually make contact either, but obviously it’s alarming to them and me! She’s very good with my kids, and generally very chill. When she was a little puppy we socialized her with the kids in the neighborhood, which in retrospect maybe we shouldn’t have because they were pretty rough players?

I definitely don’t want to make the situation worse, and I especially don’t want to escalate her. It’s not a blatant fear thing... it just seems to be how she thinks she can ask kids to give her more room? Or express her nervousness? Or something? I just need to figure out how to train HER to walk away, or an alternate behavior, or something?

She hasn’t been around kids other than the ones she lives in (aside from passing them on the street during walks) since she was a couple month old puppy. She does go to the dog park, though, and I’m pretty sure she thinks that kids are actually puppies.