Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lord Stimperor
Jun 13, 2018

I'm a lovable meme.

Something Awful actually has a front page, yeah and it's terrible. Now that SA seems to be administered again, let's put something better in place. What's it going to be?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lord Stimperor
Jun 13, 2018

I'm a lovable meme.

Would it be technically feasible to have a "Hot Threads" page? One that shows the most commented / highly rated / most-often-bumped threads over the last 8 hours or so. That would show you what's new outside of your own thread bubble.

Would also be cool to see a page that just quotes all the times a YouTube or Twitter link is embedded, to show what the hive mind is thinking about. But I guess that's very niche and weird.

Lord Stimperor
Jun 13, 2018

I'm a lovable meme.

I think we have to figure out what the purpose of the front page is going to be, there doesn't seem to be a consensus.

Should it be a storefront to subsidize the forums?
Should it highlight the forums activity?
Attract new posters?
Deliver legitimately great content, like a carousel of the best threads?

Lord Stimperor
Jun 13, 2018

I'm a lovable meme.

Ultimately it's up to Jeffrey. Eventually he will probably have to deal with that dumb page and maybe a bit of good inspiration / community engagement can tip the scales this way or that

Lord Stimperor
Jun 13, 2018

I'm a lovable meme.

I mean if all else fails put some of the classics on there, like the groverhaus thread, bathdoom and what not

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lord Stimperor
Jun 13, 2018

I'm a lovable meme.

Regarding the logo, if that new grenade won't be accepted, I'll offer my humble suggestion:

- Stylized goatse
- hands turned into the wings of an art deco wings emblem
- instead of an rear end in a top hat, globe or globe-grenade in the middle

Think of this, but wings are fingers with ring, circle in the middle replaced by Bert's grenade