Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Chewbecca

Just chillin' : )
Do you know little about Australia? Do you yearn to know more? Lucky for you, your pal Chewbecca knows a thing or two and is willing to share!

Post ITT and I'll assign you an artefact of Australiana. Might be a video, or a song, or an image, or a food, orbs place, or anything really. But if you want to learn more about Australia then crikey cobber, you've come to the right place! :australia:

Thanks to Heather Papps for sweet sig, click for more hot lady action

sigs by luvcow and Khanstant.
Click on Spoonville for a neat surprise

(┛◉Д◉)┛彡┻━┻ #YesNutNovember - add this to your sig if you love and support BYOB's own nut

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shadow0

If to live in this style is to be eccentric, it must be confessed that there is something good in eccentricity.

Chewbecca posted:

But if you want to learn more about Australia then crikey cobber, you've come to the right place! :australia:

I think I've come to the wrong place. How do I get out of here?

Chewbecca

Shadow0 posted:

I think I've come to the wrong place. How do I get out of here?

You've got Australian pop sensation Guy Sebastian!

Guy Sebastian is best known as the winner of the first Australian Idol in 2003, as a judge on Australia's version of The X-Factor, and finishing 5th in the Eurovision Song contest in 2015. He is currently a coach on Australia's version of The Voice.

On Australian Idol the catchphrase of his supporters was "go the fro" on account of his hair.

What you don't know is that I paid upwards of $1.29aud to have his winning song as my ringtone. Also I don't like him anymore, but I might have had a lil crush back then :blush:

(┛◉Д◉)┛彡┻━┻ #YesNutNovember - add this to your sig if you love and support BYOB's own nut

Diorama

i remember when all this was fields
can i have harold holt's bathers

Chewbecca

Diorama posted:

can i have harold holt's bathers

You've got the character EC from the Australian children's television show 'Lift Off' which ran from 1992 to 1995. EC stands for "every child" with the idea being the character is blank, and children can superimpose their it imaginative onto it.

I personally found EC creepy as all get out!

enjoy a random episode of Lift Off while we are at it

Shadow0

If to live in this style is to be eccentric, it must be confessed that there is something good in eccentricity.

Chewbecca posted:

You've got Australian pop sensation Guy Sebastian!

Neat!

...You wouldn't happen to have a gift receipt would you?

I found a door labeled "ʇᴉxƎ"
Is this the way out? Why is it locked?

Luvcow

One day nearer spring
what are your views on yahoo serious?

Chewbecca

Luvcow posted:

what are your views on yahoo serious?

You've got fairy bread! Fairy bread is white sandwich bread with margarine/butter and hundreds and thousands sprinkled on it, most often cut into triangles. It's commonly served at children's birthday parties! Fairy bread dates back to the 1920s!

Luvcow

One day nearer spring

Chewbecca posted:

You've got fairy bread! Fairy bread is white sandwich bread with margarine/butter and hundreds and thousands sprinkled on it, most often cut into triangles. It's commonly served at children's birthday parties! Fairy bread dates back to the 1920s!

:stare:

that looks suspiciously like princess toast

Barking Gecko

Mahoro says, "Naughty things are bad."
Looks a bit iffy, but hit me with something true blue.

your friend sk

(ヤイケス!)

Chewbecca posted:

whoaaa congrats luvcow!

Join the BYOB Army

thank you again Saoshyant!!

JhatDontMessOk
Can I have something please?

GODSPEED JOHN GLENN

I put my thumb up my bum and shut one eye, and my thumb blotted out the planet Earth.

Chewbecca posted:

You've got the character EC from the Australian children's television show 'Lift Off' which ran from 1992 to 1995. EC stands for "every child" with the idea being the character is blank, and children can superimpose their it imaginative onto it.

I personally found EC creepy as all get out!

enjoy a random episode of Lift Off while we are at it

yo dawg what the gently caress!?

Chewbecca posted:

jesus christ...

Macnult

g’day

Heather Papps

hello friend

what was the name of that bulletproof bandit guy with the home made armor? that guy was pretty neat.

thanks Dumb Sex-Parrot and deep dish peat moss for this winter bounty!

Diorama

i remember when all this was fields
i saw the documentary 'reckless kelly' when i was a kid

GODSPEED JOHN GLENN

I put my thumb up my bum and shut one eye, and my thumb blotted out the planet Earth.

Heather Papps posted:

what was the name of that bulletproof bandit guy with the home made armor? that guy was pretty neat.

Ned Kelly

Jaguars!

I am looking forward to getting the best Australiana

Chewbecca

Barking Gecko posted:

Looks a bit iffy, but hit me with something true blue.

You've got the boxing crocodile statue, which is pretty close to the post office at a town called Humpty Doo.

If you ever get the chance to visit Humpty Doo you totally should! Humpty Doo is in the northern territory, south of Darwin

more falafel please

forums poster

hit me up, all I know is that I don't know nothing

thanks Saoshyant and nesamdoom for the sigs!

Chewbecca

sk posted:

whoaaa congrats luvcow!

You have been given Kyle Minogue's golden hotpants!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t1DWBKk5xHQ

Kylie Minogue is one of the stars of the stars of the Australian soap opera Neighbours. She is also a pop star who has enjoyed many decades of fame. However what we are focussing on is Kylie's golden hotpants! Her hotpants have been donated to the Melbourne Performing Arts Archive as an item of significance. Rumour has it she bought them from a market in Melbourne for less than a dollar! (reference: https://camberwellsundaymarket.org/2018/07/21/number-5-eight-fun-facts-about-camberwell-sunday-market/)

Chewbecca

JhatDontMessOk posted:

Can I have something please?

You have the twelve apostles!

The Twelve Apostles is a series of limestone towers, and is located on the Great Ocean Road in Victoria. While it's called the twelve apostles there are only 7 towers (there were formally 8, but one collapsed).

Chewbecca fucked around with this message at 07:19 on Oct 12, 2020

Chewbecca

GODSPEED JOHN GLENN posted:

yo dawg what the gently caress!?

jesus christ...

You've got Tim Tams, a famous Australian biscuit!

Some people (not me) recommend buying both ends off and using it as a straw for your coffee, but I'm not a fan of soggy biscuits myself!

Chewbecca

"I Sucked a Lot of Cock to Get Where I Am" is a song by Australian rock band, Regurgitator, which came out in 1996. The song was not commercially released in Australia.

listen here

Chewbecca

Heather Papps posted:

You've got the platypus!

Platypuses (which is the correct plural form, not "platypi") have a paddle-shaped tail; a sleek, furry body; a flat bill and webbed feet like a duck. They live in eastern australia and tasmania and they rule

Chewbecca

Jaguars! posted:

I am looking forward to getting the best Australiana

Oopsi think I missed you, sorry!

You've got the Australian green tree frog!

The Australian green tree frog is also known as the dumpy tree frog.  They reach 10cm in length and live in the north half of Australia.

Chewbecca

more falafel please posted:

hit me up, all I know is that I don't know nothing

You've got Caramello Koala! A famous chocolate bar made by Cadbury. There are many flavours but the most famous are plain and caramel.

Zurtilik

The Biggest Brain in Guardia
Teach me!

Joey McChrist

i would also like to know more

Chewbecca

Zurtilik posted:

Teach me!

You've got Australian rock band Yothu Yindi!

Yothu Yindi was formed in 1986 and is made up of aboriginal and non-aboriginal members. Their most famous song is probably Treaty, which came out in 1991

Chewbecca

Joey McChrist posted:

i would also like to know more

You've got one of my favourite birds, the kookaburra!

They're known best for their loud, cackling bird call which is said to sound like laughter

listen here and tell me what you think

Jaguars!

Chewbecca posted:

Oopsi think I missed you, sorry!

You've got the Australian green tree frog!

The Australian green tree frog is also known as the dumpy tree frog.  They reach 10cm in length and live in the north half of Australia.

Lol I was expecting you to find the worst Australiana that you could find for such a presumptuous request but that's actually pretty good! Dumpy frog ftw

Joey McChrist

Chewbecca posted:

You've got one of my favourite birds, the kookaburra!

They're known best for their loud, cackling bird call which is said to sound like laughter

listen here and tell me what you think

thats so cool! it really does sound like laughter! i love birds :3:

Heather Papps

hello friend

Chewbecca posted:

You've got the platypus!

Platypuses (which is the correct plural form, not "platypi") have a paddle-shaped tail; a sleek, furry body; a flat bill and webbed feet like a duck. They live in eastern australia and tasmania and they rule

i am punching the air and saying "YES" right now.

Joey McChrist posted:

thats so cool! it really does sound like laughter! i love birds :3:

this is a song, from memory

kookaburra sits in the old gum tree
merry merry king of the woods is he
laugh kookaburra, laugh kookaburra
gay your life must be!

i think that is pretty close to correct but i am now realizing i don't know a single verse of the song

thanks Dumb Sex-Parrot and deep dish peat moss for this winter bounty!

Chewbecca

Heather Papps posted:

i am punching the air and saying "YES" right now.

this is a song, from memory

kookaburra sits in the old gum tree
merry merry king of the woods is he
laugh kookaburra, laugh kookaburra
gay your life must be!

i think that is pretty close to correct but i am now realizing i don't know a single verse of the song

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FfpCGmlFJ1g

Nosfereefer

IF YOU FIND THIS POSTER OUTSIDE BYOB, PLEASE RETURN THEM. WE ARE VERY WORRIED AND WE MISS THEM

Chewbecca posted:

You've got the platypus!

i hvae had it with you "australians" coming here and claiming all kinds of nonsense! that is obviously fake

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

google THIS

Chewbecca posted:

Can't you people put normal things on bread

Finger Prince

google THIS posted:

Can't you people put normal things on bread

I say, spraying cheese-adjacent orange caulk out of a can onto some bread.

owlhawk911

come chill with me, in byob

i need to know more about australia. specifically any tips or tricks you might have to help me defeat a roo in honourable combat

https://giant.gfycat.com/PlasticAngryHousefly.webm
this sig a mf'n vanisher joint. gobbos by khanstant

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Evil Bob

've lived a thousand times. I found out what it means to be GBS.
Wow, I've learned so much from this thread and I feel as if we have only scratched the surface. lets hit the road and crank the archeology factor to 11!