Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

teen phone cutie
Jun 18, 2012

last year i rewrote something awful from scratch because i hate myself
i just started watching some miniseries on netflix about the challenger flight and i’m getting very hype on learning about the challenger and other spaceship information.

please help me learn more about space and spaceships

here’s a fact. before the challenger took off (and before a few other space missions), the contract company working on the rocket boosters had an issue with O rings (rubber-like rings which helped connect two pieces of the booster together) being eroded upon lift off, which meant it was very possible that air would get into the rocket boosters and the dam thing would explode!

and the engineers knew this the entire time!!!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Worf
Sep 12, 2017

If only Seth would love me like I love him!

my dad worked for the company that made the o-rings at the time hehe

the apollo rockets guidance computer was on par with an apple ii as far as computing power

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth
Boy I sure hope somebody was fired for that blunder!

SLICK GOKU BABY
Jun 12, 2001

Hey Hey Let's Go! 喧嘩する
大切な物を protect my balls

Who What Now posted:

Boy I sure hope somebody was fired for that blunder!

That's why it was past tense, their dad worked...

Worf
Sep 12, 2017

this is margaret hamilton part of a programming team for the software used in the apollo missions

those books are the software

she is actually 7 feet tall

teen phone cutie
Jun 18, 2012

Statutory Ape posted:

my dad worked for the company that made the o-rings at the time hehe

holy poo poo that’s crazy has he ever talked about with you??

here’s another fact: the columbia had a piece of insulation broken during lift off but still made it to space successfully. so the astronauts were basically hosed the entire time they were in space with no idea the spaceshuttle was doomed upon re-entry

Worf
Sep 12, 2017

Grump posted:

holy poo poo that’s crazy has he ever talked about with you??

here’s another fact: the columbia had a piece of insulation broken during lift off but still made it to space successfully. so the astronauts were basically hosed the entire time they were in space with no idea the spaceshuttle was doomed upon re-entry

yes but he worked in a different division that either fabbed or designed or both PCBs

my general recollection is that it was Not Great lol

teen phone cutie
Jun 18, 2012

Statutory Ape posted:

this is margaret hamilton part of a programming team for the software used in the apollo missions

those books are the software

she is actually 7 feet tall

very nice. pretty and smarter than i’ll ever be.

Jove Tone
Jan 12, 2006

In space no one can hear you post

Jove Tone
Jan 12, 2006

Space is the biggest "thing" in the world

Jove Tone
Jan 12, 2006

Many space ships over the years have been piloted by friendly but professional animals.

teen phone cutie
Jun 18, 2012

Statutory Ape posted:

yes but he worked in a different division that either fabbed or designed or both PCBs

my general recollection is that it was Not Great lol

gosh i wonder how many people feel guilty about that, regardless of what department they worked in

Jove Tone
Jan 12, 2006

Its generally agreed that heaven is somewhere in space.

teen phone cutie
Jun 18, 2012

ronald mcnair was a black astronaut who grew up during segregation and didn’t have access to swimming pools, meaning he didn’t know how to swim well before training to be on the challenger.

but he passed training and that means you too could be an astronaut one day with enough determination!!

although i don’t recommend it. it seems dangerous

teen phone cutie
Jun 18, 2012

Jove Tone posted:

Many space ships over the years have been piloted by friendly but professional animals.

i like the name of the russian doggie, laika. if i had a huskie type dog, i’d consider that name

a starchy tuber
Sep 9, 2002

hi yes I'm very normal
You can fart in space and nobody else will smell it.

Jove Tone
Jan 12, 2006

promising carl posted:

You can fart in space and nobody else will smell it.

Haha, maybe like 50 years ago this was true. We have had cross suit fart smell sharing and distribution for a while now gramps

Internetjack
Sep 15, 2007

oh god how did this get here i am not good with computers
Top Cop
The diameter of the booster rockets used on the space shuttles was effected by the local train tunnels they had to transport them by. The train tunnels themselves were based on standard railroad gauge that in turn was based on standards used for wagon/chariot building established in Roman times. So part of the space shuttle design was affected by the ancient Romans.

teen phone cutie
Jun 18, 2012

the last time all humans were on planet earth together was 20 years ago

teen phone cutie
Jun 18, 2012

Internetjack posted:

The diameter of the booster rockets used on the space shuttles was effected by the local train tunnels they had to transport them by. The train tunnels themselves were based on standard railroad gauge that in turn was based on standards used for wagon/chariot building established in Roman times. So part of the space shuttle design was affected by the ancient Romans.

this is a good metaphor for life. you gotta work with the cards you got!!

Call Your Grandma
Jan 17, 2010

just lmao if you think space is real. wouldn't the so-called "astronauts" have taken any samples with all the BILLIONS of tax-payer dollars they're given?

teen phone cutie
Jun 18, 2012

approx. 1.5 lines of code power the ISS. what happens if nobody catches a bug in peer review??

Call Your Grandma posted:

just lmao if you think space is real. wouldn't the so-called "astronauts" have taken any samples with all the BILLIONS of tax-payer dollars they're given?

you are entitled to this thought!!! and i won’t try to change your mind but space is very cool imo!

Johnny Aztec
Jan 30, 2005

by Hand Knit

Internetjack posted:

Im pretttttty sure that last time I saw someone repeat this, that it was debunked as not true.

Anyway, I think it was the Columbia, in that it came out a few years back, that the astronauts on board, did NOT die in the explosion. They survived until the Space Shuttle impacted the ocean, at terminal velocity.

quote:

The crew compartment and many other vehicle fragments were eventually recovered from the ocean floor after a lengthy search and recovery operation. The exact timing of the death of the crew is unknown; several crew members are known to have survived the initial breakup of the spacecraft. The shuttle had no escape system,[a][1] and the impact of the crew compartment at terminal velocity with the ocean surface was too violent to be survivable
From wikipedia.

Universe Master
Jun 20, 2005

Darn Fine Pie

The phlogiston is extremely flammable and even the gods can't enter into it outside of their crystal spheres.

numberoneposter
Feb 19, 2014

How much do I cum? The answer might surprise you!

You hear that Chris Hadfield divorced his wife?

He said he needed more space.

Johnny Aztec
Jan 30, 2005

by Hand Knit
Space is the one place uncorrupted by capitalism.

Universe Master
Jun 20, 2005

Darn Fine Pie

Johnny Aztec posted:

Space is the one place uncorrupted by capitalism.

Elon says hi

ClamdestineBoyster
Aug 15, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
We let a woman fly a space shuttle, and look what happened. :shrug:

bus hustler
Mar 14, 2019

there are 2 imposters on the space ship

Johnny Aztec
Jan 30, 2005

by Hand Knit

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g1Sq1Nr58hM

Icochet
Mar 18, 2008

I have a very small TV. Don't make fun of it! Please don't shame it like that~

Grimey Drawer
Pluto got canceled because it was really bad at being a planet

kloa
Feb 14, 2007

space is big y'all

I brought my Drake
Jul 10, 2014

These high-G injections have some serious side effects after pulling so many jumps.

I pronounce Uranus like the Greek counterpart, Ouranos, because I can't talk about the seventh planet without snickering like a kindergartener.

Bronze Fonz
Feb 14, 2019

If you're looking for a fascinating read on what happened with Columbia and how NASA could've done something:

https://www.theatlantic.com/magazine/archive/2003/11/columbias-last-flight/304204/

Internetjack
Sep 15, 2007

oh god how did this get here i am not good with computers
Top Cop

Johnny Aztec posted:

Im pretttttty sure that last time I saw someone repeat this, that it was debunked as not true.

It's pretty well established that shipping by rail car from the Thiokal plant in Utah was the only logistic capable of getting the boosters out of the state. Limits on the size of the railway tunnels out of the state were pretty much an upper limit sizing factor. Weight was also a big issue that dictated the use of railroads. The extrapolation of railroad gauge and tunnel size going back to horse carts and chariots is just a fun extension of the exercise, but not unmerited.

Elukka
Feb 18, 2011

For All Mankind
Falcon 9 diameter is determined by the max maximum diameter for road transport too. It's why it's so thin and long. They just ship them across the US on public roads.

Johnny Aztec
Jan 30, 2005

by Hand Knit

Internetjack posted:

It's pretty well established that shipping by rail car from the Thiokal plant in Utah was the only logistic capable of getting the boosters out of the state. Limits on the size of the railway tunnels out of the state were pretty much an upper limit sizing factor. Weight was also a big issue that dictated the use of railroads. The extrapolation of railroad gauge and tunnel size going back to horse carts and chariots is just a fun extension of the exercise, but not unmerited.

Ehhh, the thing I saw had like, sources and stuff? But Honestly, I'm really not invested enough to actually go find it

Anyhow, Space is really cool! Too bad due to the reality of reality, we will never have any of the Science-Fiction space futures.
For the vast majority of humanity, we're a prisoner of this one planet.

ikanreed
Sep 25, 2009

I honestly I have no idea who cannibal[SIC] is and I do not know why I should know.

syq dude, just syq!

queserasera posted:

I pronounce Uranus like the Greek counterpart, Ouranos, because I can't talk about the seventh planet without snickering like a kindergartener.

Uranus is really big and gassy

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth

queserasera posted:

I pronounce it "yer-anus" cause then it sounds like I'm talking about someone's butt

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Call Your Grandma
Jan 17, 2010

i think it's cute and worth exploring