Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nefarious 2.0
Apr 22, 2008

Offense is overrated anyway.

space isnt real

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

teen phone cutie
Jun 18, 2012

last year i rewrote something awful from scratch because i hate myself
the kid from a christmas story was a spokesperson for the young astronaut program and was supposed to do a press tour with one of the astronauts from the challenger mission

Johnny Aztec posted:

Space is the one place uncorrupted by capitalism.

space is a private sector job now!

Colonel Cancer
Sep 26, 2015

Tune into the fireplace channel, you absolute buffoon

Johnny Aztec posted:

Space is the one place uncorrupted by capitalism.

There's a tesla flying thru it now, space fire fighters beware

B Squad Leader
Nov 1, 2009

Wally Schirra was the first astronaut to go into space three times, and the only astronaut to have flown in the Mercury, Gemini, and Apollo programs

numberoneposter
Feb 19, 2014

How much do I cum? The answer might surprise you!

Nefarious 2.0 posted:

space isnt real
Space isreal

hakimashou
Jul 15, 2002
Upset Trowel
In spacetime, if there are two things that move from point A in space and time (for example, your house at 10:00) to point B in space and time (the store, at 11:00), the one that travels a longer distance has less time pass for it, it's like a trade-off where total space x time is conserved, so more space travelled, less time travelled.

That's why if you go really fast in a space ship, you dont age as much as people who stayed back on earth.

Another way to put this is that the shortest distance through space between two points in space and time is also always the longest distance in time.

So if you and your friend both leave your house at 10:00 AM, and you take the most direct route to the store such as that you arrive at 11:00 AM having travelled the shortest distance possible, more time will have elapsed for you than for your friend who took a longer route, but arrived at 11:00 AM as well. You will have aged more than he did.

hakimashou fucked around with this message at 01:58 on Oct 12, 2020

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth
You can't get a boner in space because there's no gravity to pull your blood downward into your dingdong

Elukka
Feb 18, 2011

For All Mankind
The space future is orange cranes and bare metal spaceships.

Who What Now posted:

You can't get a boner in space because there's no gravity to pull your blood downward into your dingdong
The circulatory system is a pressurized and will work just fine with gravity or without. :colbert:

Funky See Funky Do
Aug 20, 2013
STILL TRYING HARD
Mankind's dream of one day going into space will never be fulfilled because by definition if something occupies it then it's no longer space.

Jove Tone
Jan 12, 2006

Elukka posted:

The circulatory system is a pressurized and will work just fine with gravity or without. :colbert:

Get a load of this guy, you think you're some kinda blood lawyer or somethin?

Colonel Cancer
Sep 26, 2015

Tune into the fireplace channel, you absolute buffoon
You can propel yourself with pee pee and poo poo in space, thanks Newton

Nefarious 2.0
Apr 22, 2008

Offense is overrated anyway.

hakimashou posted:

In spacetime, if there are two things that move from point A in space and time (for example, your house at 10:00) to point B in space and time (the store, at 11:00), the one that travels a longer distance has less time pass for it, it's like a trade-off where total space x time is conserved, so more space travelled, less time travelled.

That's why if you go really fast in a space ship, you dont age as much as people who stayed back on earth.

Another way to put this is that the shortest distance through space between two points in space and time is also always the longest distance in time.

So if you and your friend both leave your house at 10:00 AM, and you take the most direct route to the store such as that you arrive at 11:00 AM having travelled the shortest distance possible, more time will have elapsed for you than for your friend who took a longer route, but arrived at 11:00 AM as well. You will have aged more than he did.

listen to this gibberish

pojr
Nov 4, 2014

promising carl posted:

You can fart in space and nobody else will smell it.

if you fart in space, does it propel you in a certain direction

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

R.I.P. Inter-OS Sass - b.2000AD d.2003AD

queserasera posted:

I pronounce Uranus like the Greek counterpart, Ouranos, because I can't talk about the seventh planet without snickering like a kindergartener.

That actually sounds way cooler anyway, we should change it officially (like in Futurama.)

astral
Apr 26, 2004

Space is cool.

Son of Rodney
Feb 22, 2006

ohmygodohmygodohmygod

astral posted:

Space is cool.

In fact, so cool that it is only about 3 Kelvin over absolute zero.

Also if space was actually our atmosphere it would be loud as gently caress, the sun is literally screaming at us constantly but we can't hear it because sounds doesn't travel in a vacuum.

In other words space hates us and is the ultimate enemy.

Shadow0
Jun 16, 2008

If to live in this style is to be eccentric, it must be confessed that there is something good in eccentricity.

Grimey Drawer

queserasera posted:

I pronounce Uranus like the Greek counterpart, Ouranos, because I can't talk about the seventh planet without snickering like a kindergartener.

I'm just glad it didn't get named after King George. That would have been really lame.

Son of Rodney posted:

In fact, so cool that it is only about 3 Kelvin over absolute zero.

Also if space was actually our atmosphere it would be loud as gently caress, the sun is literally screaming at us constantly but we can't hear it because sounds doesn't travel in a vacuum.

In other words space hates us and is the ultimate enemy.

How can that be when almost all of the Earth's heat comes from space?

Universe Master
Jun 20, 2005

Darn Fine Pie

Elukka posted:

The space future is orange cranes and bare metal spaceships.

Yes but it will still be a few years before a giant calculating machine takes over.

Xaintrailles
Aug 14, 2015

:hellyeah::histdowns:
The universe is expanding away from us because humans are notorious for bad posting.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Xaintrailles posted:

The universe is expanding away from us because humans are notorious for bad posting.

Wasn't there a legit Russian scientist whose theory was that the galaxies are moving away because they hate us?

Worf
Sep 12, 2017

If only Seth would love me like I love him!

Xaintrailles posted:

the universe is also expanding towards us

Worf
Sep 12, 2017

If only Seth would love me like I love him!

Statutory Ape posted:

the universe is also expanding towards us

3D Megadoodoo posted:

Wasn't there a legit Russian scientist whose theory was that the galaxies are moving away because they hate us?

sounds like a legit philosopher at any rate

E: accidentally quoted myself? dont even know what i was going for there

Mozi
Apr 4, 2004

Forms change so fast
Time is moving past
Memory is smoke
Gonna get wider when I die
Nap Ghost
space: the final frontier

pop fly to McGillicutty
Feb 2, 2004

A peckish little mouse!

Nefarious 2.0 posted:

space isnt real

It holds more dark matter than you. Technically, it is more likely TO EXIST than you.

Jestery
Aug 2, 2016

Eat a dick unicycle boy!
The distance between the earth and moon is larger than diameters of the planets added together

Son of Rodney
Feb 22, 2006

ohmygodohmygodohmygod

Shadow0 posted:

I'm just glad it didn't get named after King George. That would have been really lame.

How can that be when almost all of the Earth's heat comes from space?

Because our heat comes from the sun, not from space as such.

Sekenr
Dec 12, 2013

Some mathematician calculated the lonliest place on Earth. Its somewhere in pacific ocean and is the furthest point from all human settlements with lowest air and sea traffic on the planet. If you ever end up there, astronauts on ISS will be the closest humans to you.

Icochet
Mar 18, 2008

I have a very small TV. Don't make fun of it! Please don't shame it like that~

Grimey Drawer
There are no laws in space so the ISS is covered in graffiti, like

Cosmonauts pitch, astronauts catch

and

gently caress space

Interpol is powerless.

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.

Bronze Fonz posted:

If you're looking for a fascinating read on what happened with Columbia and how NASA could've done something:

https://www.theatlantic.com/magazine/archive/2003/11/columbias-last-flight/304204/
I read this over a few days and holy poo poo it's infuriating. I checked out some of its claims to see if hey it's a 17 year old article maybe it's wrong -- maybe new information has come to light. Nope, it's all loving true.

1. Space thing goes up into orbit, during launch the left wing gets damaged
2. While it's flying around in space a bunch of people go "hey I think the left wing is damaged"
3. Some manager morons go "Hmmff fmmff hurrumph hurrumph that's impossible! Everything is fine!" Based on nothing.
4. The astronauts aren't told and nobody fixes the left wing. It's fixable.
5. The spacecraft reenters the atmosphere. The left wing causes bad things to happen. Everyone on board gets exploded.

HOW COULD THIS TERRIBLE TRAGEDY OCCUR??

ante
Apr 9, 2005

SUNSHINE AND RAINBOWS

Internetjack posted:

It's pretty well established that shipping by rail car from the Thiokal plant in Utah was the only logistic capable of getting the boosters out of the state. Limits on the size of the railway tunnels out of the state were pretty much an upper limit sizing factor. Weight was also a big issue that dictated the use of railroads. The extrapolation of railroad gauge and tunnel size going back to horse carts and chariots is just a fun extension of the exercise, but not unmerited.

Yeah, like the first part is true, but the railway gauge->chariot thing isn't

But that's not interesting, I don't want to just be the But Actually guy so here:

With Challenger, as mentioned, it was the o-rings that went. Specifically, they weren't rated for the low temperatures that morning.
What's worse, there were a bunch of engineers that knew this was an issue, even to the point where one guy went home to his family the night before and was like, "This is going to explode tomorrow morning."

But they had no way to report it - No one at NASA was listening, or would take them seriously. Challenger blew up because an organisational problem prevented people from being able to sound the alarm and stop the machinery.

teen phone cutie
Jun 18, 2012

Teriyaki Hairpiece posted:

HOW COULD THIS TERRIBLE TRAGEDY OCCUR??

yeah the exact same scenario happened with the Challenger. Suits gave the OK despite engineers saying it’s prob a bad idea to launch. And the crew was oblivious.

I just bought “Bringing Columbia Home”. v excited to learn about more about this

teen phone cutie fucked around with this message at 21:50 on Oct 17, 2020

ante
Apr 9, 2005

SUNSHINE AND RAINBOWS
Oh here's another one:

Lots of media portrays space as this really cold thing that will instantly freeze any water or person that is exposed to it.

In fact, it is cold, but heat can't radiate off you without particles taking that energy away. There aren't very many particles in space, so you'd actually hold on to your heat for a really long time. Spaceships don't have any trouble with getting too cold, they actually have a hard time radiating excess heat.

Son of Rodney
Feb 22, 2006

ohmygodohmygodohmygod

ante posted:

Oh here's another one:

Lots of media portrays space as this really cold thing that will instantly freeze any water or person that is exposed to it.

In fact, it is cold, but heat can't radiate off you without particles taking that energy away. There aren't very many particles in space, so you'd actually hold on to your heat for a really long time. Spaceships don't have any trouble with getting too cold, they actually have a hard time radiating excess heat.

Not quite, heat is transfered in three different ways conduction, convention or radiation. There's no conductive or conventional heat transfer in a vaccuum, but heat still gets radiated away as a wave. It's a much lower rate as the other two ways tho (depending on temp.) so as you said, radiating heat away near a heat source (like, for example, the sun) is a bigger issue than cooling.

BigBadSteve
Apr 29, 2009

Grump posted:

approx. 1.5 lines of code power the ISS. what happens if nobody catches a bug in peer review??

1.8 million.

teen phone cutie
Jun 18, 2012

BigBadSteve posted:

1.8 million.

haha yes thank you. could you imagine if it was only 1.5 tho. that would be pretty efficient. what is a half a line of code even?

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Grump posted:

haha yes thank you. could you imagine if it was only 1.5 tho. that would be pretty efficient. what is a half a line of code even?

A 10 PRINT but seeded in a way which creates an AI out of /s and \s on a scrolling 2D plane.

And a line of code can be 1½ lines long so that's fine.

cubivore
Nov 30, 2006

fuck you, got mine
space media is almost all based on the navy instead of the air force which blew my mind when I learned it (but seems really obvious in hindsight)

space SHIPS

and yet drumpf made his space force from the air force

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

cubivore posted:

space media is almost all based on the navy instead of the air force which blew my mind when I learned it (but seems really obvious in hindsight)

space SHIPS

and yet drumpf made his space force from the air force

There isn't even any air in space lmao?

Chrpno
Apr 17, 2006

3D Megadoodoo posted:

There isn't even any air in space lmao?

There's an air in space museum

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

teen phone cutie
Jun 18, 2012

so this is a good book im reading here. did you know when the columbia was about to take off for it’s last flight (in 2003) they spotted a blip on the radar and the director of the launch thought it was a terrorist plane coming to destroy the shuttle?

but it actually turned out to be a bunch of birthday balloons floating around

but they didn’t find that out until after the launch

teen phone cutie fucked around with this message at 05:00 on Oct 18, 2020