Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

a new study bible!
Feb 2, 2009

BIG DICK NICK
A Philadelphia Legend
Fly Eagles Fly

He's also the only pg on the team.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

a new study bible! posted:

He's also the only pg on the team.

Not after the harden trade :)

jackofarcades
Sep 2, 2011

Okay, I'll admit it took me a bit to get into it... But I think I kinda love this!! I'm Spider-Man!! I'm actually Spider-Man!! HA!

The Maestro posted:

They were killing me when they talked about Gobert’s deal on their preseason over/under pod. Like the Utah FO wouldn’t pay him 4/$150 if that were even reasonably possible. They look at it so abstractly and intellectually that they circle back around to clueless.

well, the thing is that 4/150 is what he could get from other teams, so you might have been able to squeeze him down more than what he got..

the dunc'd on that talks about the extension is free fwiw, so I listened to what they said about it just now:

nate really thinks it's going to end horrendously and it might not be worth the 2 (3?) years of being a 1st/2nd round exit, although he likes it more if the new onwer is willing to go into the tax.

danny acknowledges that they wouldn't be able to really get anyone better, but he has a hard time seeing how the team is going to improve at all now.

nate points out that this doesn't start next year, but the year after that, and that rudy is likely worth it for the first year of the deal. He thought that they maybe could have worked it out to give him a high number year one with some declines in the deal to give them more flexibility when rudy is 33.

they also could have potentially waited until next summer. obviously this probably upsets rudy, but they still have the ability to pay him more $$ and give him an extra year. This also probably has trade rumors hanging over it.

idk. it seems like they kind of agree that they needed to sign him but they just think they could've not paid as much, and one of the reasons I think Nate and Danny harp on the little $1m saved here and there is that this stuff can mean the difference between getting a key bench guy or having the full MLE available down the line.

WhyteRyce
Dec 30, 2001

Rudy seems like the type of guy who you don't want hanging around for the season if he's unhappy about not having a deal and those guys seem like the type of people who can't figure out why they failed to get a good deal from the car salesman

WhyteRyce fucked around with this message at 04:06 on Dec 22, 2020

Hand Knit
Oct 24, 2005

Beer Loses more than a game Sunday ...
We lost our Captain, our Teammate, our Friend Kelly Calabro...
Rest in Peace my friend you will be greatly missed..
I am closing this thread tomorrow morning, even if there isn’t a new thread ready!

Athanatos
Jun 7, 2006

Est. 1967

Hand Knit posted:

I am closing this thread tomorrow morning, even if there isn’t a new thread ready!

I'll make a new one.

Someone give me a title worth starting with

Katana_Warrior
Dec 25, 2009

Athanatos posted:

I'll make a new one.

make it something about steph curry's brave return from his tragic injury, as he will be in the First Game of the Season

jackofarcades
Sep 2, 2011

Okay, I'll admit it took me a bit to get into it... But I think I kinda love this!! I'm Spider-Man!! I'm actually Spider-Man!! HA!

WhyteRyce posted:

Rudy seems like the type of guy who you don't want hanging around for the season if he's unhappy about not having a deal and those guys seem like the type of people who can't figure out why they failed to get a good deal from the car salesman

yeah, I mean, maybe... it's just that there really are GMs who somehow seem to get guys to sign team friendly deals (OG seems like a steal) and that stuff matters... but there definitely was pressure on the org and the new owner to get it done

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

Athanatos posted:

I'll make a new one.

The NBA is 90-99% BACK

Gerund
Sep 12, 2007

He push a man

R.D. Mangles posted:

The NBA is 90-99% BACK

(*after the first 15-20 games)

The Maestro
Feb 21, 2006
Yea, but it was the tone of it all, like they were the only geniuses who had ever thought of trying to pay a guy less. He was eligible for the 35%, they tried to get him for more like 25-28%, and ended up paying 30%. It obviously puts a ceiling on your maneuverability, but when your floor is a one man top 10 defense for a few years, that’s pretty good.

They seemed to think that just waiting a year was remotely possible. Technically, it is, but when has any team ever not extended their 1A or 1B guy before FA and not regretted it. “What’s the downside? He plays angry all year and then you sign him?” That’s a huge downside, especially for a small market team. Plus maybe you lose him, and then you might be out of the playoffs the way the West is amping up.

If only they had just negotiated harder, like Nate proposed. It’s very easy to armchair asset manage.

I think $9MM for Favors as a backup center is great too. He’s much more than just Rudy insurance.

It was just the incredulity that got me. I appreciate that they have a niche as the cap guys and have to get overly excited in order to make the topic borderline interesting to listen to.

It’s a lot of money, but he’s a great player. There is still a question of fit next to Mitchell, but they’re a great team. The player option is unfortunate, but it’s better than paying him 35% of the cap.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Athanatos
Jun 7, 2006

Est. 1967
New thread here: https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3952319

Last of December + January