Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Katana_Warrior
Dec 25, 2009

is either of these fair for Memphis?

trying to get my man

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Katana_Warrior
Dec 25, 2009

anthony edwards would be a big improvement over dillon brooks

why doesn't anyone want the #1 pick

e: at the very least, at least that means that no one will trade the warriors anything nice either

Katana_Warrior
Dec 25, 2009

Metapod posted:

Well for starters the trades you suggested were bad

the wolves don't have anyone with value other than KAT, it's depressing

of course, that also means that it's a prime location for AD to be sign&traded to

e:

MourningView posted:

he'd also be a big downgrade from Brandon Clarke

yeah, but imagine the blog headlines:

How the Grizzlies Transformed a Mid-20s Pick into the #1 Pick

the fans would love it

Katana_Warrior fucked around with this message at 02:25 on Oct 13, 2020

Katana_Warrior
Dec 25, 2009

Lockback posted:

...says the guy who is trying to trade away the #1 pick because he doesn't want it....

I'd be 100% on board with watching anthony edwards stink it up for 3 years before he starts to figure things out if it weren't for KAT wanting the exact opposite of that. Just trying to look out for the big guy

Katana_Warrior
Dec 25, 2009

remember when lebron passed kobe for career points and then kobe died 12 hours later

what did that mean?

Katana_Warrior
Dec 25, 2009

HamsterPolice posted:

Hi, I was wondering if I could get a recommendation for a good basketball book? It would be a gift for my brother. I already gave him the Bill Simmons book like a decade ago or something, when it came out. Thank you.

the breaks of the game is the greatest book written by a mortal

Katana_Warrior
Dec 25, 2009

the jack mccallum dream team book is also great

Katana_Warrior
Dec 25, 2009

Strawberry Panda posted:

Babies typically enjoy Steph Curry because he reminds them of themselves.

also lol

Veryslightlymad posted:

Babies need to cheer for a player that stands out and has an obvious visual distinction. I'd have said Lonnie Walker before he changed it up. I don't suppose there's an active mask or goggles player I forgot about, is there?

He stopped a while ago I think, but Otto Porter wore them for a couple seasons. Shoutouts to Horace Grant for wearing his even after he got his eye surgery so that 4-eyesed kids could have someone to look up to.

Katana_Warrior
Dec 25, 2009

toggle posted:

I gave my brother the George Karl book. Don't think he finished. Not sure if that's an indication of the quality of the book or his reading habits.

the one where he said Melo became a chucker because he didn't have a father figure?

Katana_Warrior
Dec 25, 2009

is "float like a cadillac" a pun that I'm missing?

Katana_Warrior
Dec 25, 2009

NickRoweFillea posted:

They appear to all be Disney related. I like the Jimmy one that implies he severed the thread of Giannis’ life

Should have been coach bud instead of jimmy tbh

Katana_Warrior
Dec 25, 2009

What did it say? It's already deleted

Katana_Warrior
Dec 25, 2009

Do you think Jim Boylen would take a gm job for $60K?

Asking for a broke loser friend

Katana_Warrior
Dec 25, 2009

Lockback posted:

Uhhh, 2027 I guess?

Looking forward to watching late 30s James harden with a grey beard, suspenders, and a court-side spittoon shoot 40 shots a game in a kobe-esqe career finale

Katana_Warrior
Dec 25, 2009

Spacebump posted:

Maybe among the living. I could be wrong and be missing a famous living international person. If we include the dead, he's probably the second most famous after Frida Kahlo.

also,

Katana_Warrior
Dec 25, 2009

i think chris paul's complaint that james harden wouldn't move around off the ball was pretty valid and a better place for the team to start looking at rather than trading away a top 3 point guard of all time in a really lopsided trade

Katana_Warrior
Dec 25, 2009

MourningView posted:

Deciding that the problem with the team is that the best off the dribble scorer in the league doesn't run around screens like JJ Reddick on the rare occasion he doesn't have the ball is a very missing the forest for the trees situation.

if Big Game James didn't keep flaming out of the playoffs in embarassing fashion i'd take him more seriously. 2017 was a great year for the rockets, but man has harden been frustrating to watch these recent years

edit: fwiw i dont blame the cp3 trade on Harden or Morey, i'm pretty sure it was 80% Fertita being a stupid impulsive broke boy clown

Katana_Warrior fucked around with this message at 14:39 on Oct 16, 2020

Katana_Warrior
Dec 25, 2009

kingcobweb posted:

The offseason should have a lot of X is a taller Y comparisons

Who’s a better player, Jokic or Andre Miller in the body of Jokic

better question, who of jokic or andre miller would have the better vertical improvement from the switch?

Katana_Warrior
Dec 25, 2009

i guarentee this is using fat kevin love's posted weight and is therefore invalid

Katana_Warrior
Dec 25, 2009

Metapod posted:

Very intrigued by the people who voted Wiggins as most overrated and where the proper rating is

he definitely got overrated when the warriors acquired him and people started treating him like he could be a great off-ball weapon and defensive contributor

Katana_Warrior
Dec 25, 2009

Senator Drinksalot posted:

I still think Wiggins will have a good year when the Warriors will have Steph and Klay stretching the floor for him. His main job on offense will be throwing it down which he is quite good at.

he'll have an exciting 2 week span where it looks like he put it all together and is creating good plays off of closeout actions like he did last year, and then his attention will wane for the rest of the season like it has for the past 6 years

Katana_Warrior
Dec 25, 2009

nut posted:

i forgot the thread switches to offseason

did anyone say the grizz r going to be good

they are going to be good, and jaren is going to shoot 12 threes a game and stop fouling everyone all the time

also,

Katana_Warrior
Dec 25, 2009

WhyteRyce posted:

The only thing I've taught my kids about basketball are the Kings are bad. Like my daughter said the Kings should practice more because there are some kids at her school that play basketball all the time and they are really good

your daughter's right

Katana_Warrior
Dec 25, 2009

minnesota's best FA signing was NBA All Star Jeff Teague

Katana_Warrior
Dec 25, 2009

I was looking for pictures of Coby next to other players to try and analyze his True Height and see if he'd be alright as a full time SG, but I saw this and it raised an even bigger question:

Now that Zaza's gone, does Wendell have the biggest head in the league? he's almost doubling Lauri in this pic

Katana_Warrior
Dec 25, 2009

Shrimp or Shrimps posted:

lmao the newest NBA2k game has unskippable ads

was it 2k18 that was full of reeces puffs and mountain dew cutscenes that you couldn't skip?

Katana_Warrior
Dec 25, 2009

Eight Crazy Nights is a basketball movie, imo

Katana_Warrior
Dec 25, 2009

Senator Drinksalot posted:

Isn't there a basketball anime?

Slam Dunk, and it rules

Katana_Warrior
Dec 25, 2009

every sports anime that has been made after prince of tennis (minus ping pong and chihayafuru) is just prince of tennis with sport X to me

that is to say, still pretty sick but not as good as slam dunk

Katana_Warrior
Dec 25, 2009

Salvor_Hardin posted:

Scary Movie 2 had the best basketball scene in cinema.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GVbkINQ09NQ

Katana_Warrior
Dec 25, 2009

morestuff posted:

Dipo seems like he has Knicks consolation prize written all over him

the knicks will stop at nothing to make sure that frank and RJ will never get the ball

alternatively,

who says no?

Katana_Warrior
Dec 25, 2009

RaySmuckles posted:

what do you guys think about this trade

spurs:
lamarcus aldridge
patty mills
#11 pick

for

warriors:
andrew wiggins
#2 pick

warriors get an expiring, a good big who does everything they need from him (screen, space, play good defense), and, someone who is in my opinion, one of the better anthony davis defenders

plus they get patty mills to keep their offense humming while curry sits, and a decent pick

spurs can draft wiseman (or another big) which works well cuz they have lots of time to develop him instead of needing to win now and wiggins who fits a position of need (3, small ball 4)

i don't think the spurs would give up their pick in this trade. Also, this pretty much puts the warriors in a 1 year window, because they'll be pretty capped out and won't have their trade exception to use unless they decide to re-sign LMA and patty next year, which hopefully they don't unless they're REALLY light years ahead

Katana_Warrior
Dec 25, 2009

RaySmuckles posted:

lol

but then we all get the pleasure of seeing pop just relentlessly lay into the guy, ala old school danny green

also, that's already what our small ball 4 does (derozan)

i was going to say that wiggins is too much of a millennial for old-school coaches like thibs or pop to get through to him, but pop luckily does have the experience of empowering Gamers like tim duncan and the admiral

Katana_Warrior
Dec 25, 2009

The Maestro posted:

You guys are all overrating Wiggins.

if the spurs think that they want to start rebuilding, I can't think of a better tank commander. he's the Canadian DeMar except he can't shoot free throws

Katana_Warrior
Dec 25, 2009

Wiggins + Looney for Tobias Harris is a perfect salary matching trade that would fit both teams pretty well.

Golden State gets an overpaid guy to hit open 3s.

Phili gets a scapegoat to shift blame away from Ben Simmons and an ever-injured center to back up their ever-injured center. Also their contracts are shorter than tobis.

Katana_Warrior
Dec 25, 2009

euphronius posted:

Does philly get the 2 pick too ?

man,

Simmons/Edwards/Wiggins/Horford/Embiid

A team with so little spacing that the opposing defense can't stop bumping into one another

Katana_Warrior
Dec 25, 2009

Ryan Russillo is just louis ck with jail time

Katana_Warrior
Dec 25, 2009

MourningView posted:

i listened to Simmons on the Lowe Podcast this morning while I was walking my dog because I kinda enjoy their dynamic of "smart guy reacts to the insane things a dumb guy says" but then they tried to trade Rudy Gobert for Wiggins and the right to draft James Wiseman and I said "gently caress off" loudly enough that it startled the dog.

they spend a lot of time on the warriors, and their 2 takes on the timberwolves were either drafting a pure center or trading for a pure center that they can pay a max to

i expected more from zach

Katana_Warrior
Dec 25, 2009

morestuff posted:

Just started this. Lowe kicks off the pod with a high-energy ad read then downshifts quick once he realizes he's doing a promo for an investigation into decades of sexual abuse

Do they talk about the Hornets at all and will it make me angry?

they had a trade idea based around rozier + salary for gobert, and that golden state is going to make a light years move by taking james wiseman at #2, forcing the hornets to give them the #3 and another asset

fwiw i'm pretty sure charlotte will be fine with any of the top 3. no reason to draft for fit when you don't have anyone unmovable.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Katana_Warrior
Dec 25, 2009

A little scary that Phoenix didn't give him a chance during the Hornicek/Earl Watson/Jay Triano/Kokoshkov revolving door era, but on the other hand it probably helped his resume to not be head coach during that time