Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

tanglewood1420
Oct 28, 2010

The importance of this mission cannot be overemphasized
Dragic and Butter will be worse next year (Jimmy couldn't possibly be better), but you'd expect that to be offset by improvement from Bam and Herro. If Dragic really falls off a cliff due to age or injury issues then they would need to get a competent PG, but otherwise they are well set to run it back and still have max space in 2021 for Giannis/Kawhi.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tanglewood1420
Oct 28, 2010

Gobert is the big fish this off-season that is mostly flying under the radar.

He has one year left on his deal and is eligible for the super max due to his DPOY awards. But that is a ton of moolah to pay a guy who will be 29 when that extension starts and allegedly doesn't have the best relationship with your other franchise player. If Utah try to cheap out and don't offer a max extension this season what does Gobert do? And if he turns down their offers and decides to play out the year and become ab FA in 2021 then as Utah do you let it play out and probably lose him? Or try and move him now for value, breaking up a good team (but one that is maybe not good enough?).

I can see teams making some tempting offers for Gobert if it becomes known he isn't signing an extension in Utah and is keeping his options open. Celtics would be a perfect landing spot.

Rick posted:

The problem is that vets don't usually take short term deals and they would need Dragic to do that to have money in 2021, because that year Bam and Duncan Robinson come due too.

Miami are about $45m under the tax as it stands. They can offer Dragic and Crowder $16m/1yr deals each. With future cap uncertainty it's be really hard to turn that money down as an older player. Neither of them will sniff that one year value for the rest of their career.

tanglewood1420 fucked around with this message at 06:22 on Oct 13, 2020

tanglewood1420
Oct 28, 2010

JVG getting an interview for Houston is clearly a classic case of the owner watching the games on TV and thinking the big talking head is really smart, let's get him. JVG crapping on Houston's strategy during he Laker games probably helped too.

Tillman Fertita: "We are getting dominated here! Why aren't we doing what the smart TV man thinks? Get D'Antoni outta there!"

tanglewood1420
Oct 28, 2010

It depends whether you interpret the question as 'underrated/overrated by NBA followers in general' or 'underrated/overrated on the esteemed somethingawful.com forums'.

tanglewood1420
Oct 28, 2010

Rick posted:

What if . .. Morey resigned because he was told to trade James Harden?

I found some dark trades where the Rockets can nearly or completely get that money off their books.

Also lol at Knicks no increase in projected wins

tanglewood1420
Oct 28, 2010

ButtWolf posted:

Pacers starting 5 looks good on paper w Harden. No bench tho. If CP3 or Russ aint a knick next year Ill be really surprised.

Yeah I was trying to think of teams Harden would vault into title contention that also had pieces they could move and Indiana popped into my head. Brogdon is a perfect fit in the backcourt next to Harden. They could even bring in D'Antoni as the coach. I think they would be better off keeping Turner over Sabonis but it feels like the organisation likes Sabonis more.

tanglewood1420
Oct 28, 2010

Metapod posted:

Andrew Wiggins and the #2 is absolute garbage

Andrew Wiggins and future Andrew Wiggins isn't enticing?

tanglewood1420
Oct 28, 2010

Kuzma, Danny Green and #28 for Oladipo?

Obviously that's a steal for the Lakers if you get 2016-2018 Dipo, but I don't think anyone is expecting him to be that guy again (Pacers certainly don't). Green and Kuzma would be good fits in Indiana I think.

tanglewood1420
Oct 28, 2010

FAO Knights of Lebron, report for your offseason induction video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wDViQIwOtY8

tanglewood1420
Oct 28, 2010

Miami win the 2003 draft lottery (they had the fourth best odds) and Lebron spends his entire career in South Beach with a competent, well run franchise, wins like 8 titles and the GOAT debate is over.

tanglewood1420
Oct 28, 2010

LMAO that Kobe did the big balls in two games they lost

tanglewood1420
Oct 28, 2010

I'm sure there was talk about a minimum number of games to reach targets for local TV deals. That is probably why they are pushing to start ASAP.

tanglewood1420
Oct 28, 2010

I'm sure every coach is consulted on team needs, the potential fit of any draftee and so on, but yeah I doubt many (any?) are actually involved in the evaluation process. NBA head coaches are just too busy day to day to be watching film of college kids also.

tanglewood1420
Oct 28, 2010

We don't really think of Gobert as an athletic freak but he kinda is. He moves his feet incredibly quickly and fluidly for a 7'2" guy. The best footwork of any bigman I can think of other than Hakeem (who was 6'11").

The worry with paying him a huge four year $120m deal is if he loses half a step when he turns 30/31/32. Gobert with merely good lateral movement instead of crazy elite is not anywhere near as valuable (not exactly rocket science pointing that out).

tanglewood1420
Oct 28, 2010

If the Lakers keep Zubac they don't sign Dwight and in the WCF Jokic would have beaten up on Zubac just like he did in the Clippers series so the Nuggets would have won the title. What a forward thinking move from Magic.

tanglewood1420
Oct 28, 2010

Al Horford and Tobias Harris for Chris Paul and Dennis Schroeder who says no?

tanglewood1420
Oct 28, 2010

Lebron is going to play opening night, Xmas day and then sit until February.

tanglewood1420
Oct 28, 2010

It will have been a negotiating tactic to try and reduce the escrow, or at least smooth out the escrow increase over multiple seasons. That's the overwhelming issue at stake for the union and owners for the coming season. Everything else including the start date, is relatively unimportant.

tanglewood1420
Oct 28, 2010

What happens to Lloyd Pierce's spot when he gets fired 25 games into the season?

tanglewood1420
Oct 28, 2010

Probably not quite enough coming back to NO for Jrue, but eh close enough.

tanglewood1420
Oct 28, 2010

I think he was probably planning to sign a 1+1 this offseason, but with the uncertainty about how much the cap is going to grow moving forward I think he'll sign a 2+1 to lock in the 8% raise for 2021-22 regardless of how much the cap goes up. Then opt out in the 2022 offseason eligible for the 10 year vet 35% supermax.

tanglewood1420
Oct 28, 2010

gently caress me, Bucks paid almost what NO got for AD jesus christ.

They absolutely have to know Giannis is gone if they don't make the finals this year, no way they would do that deal if they were confident he's staying.

tanglewood1420
Oct 28, 2010

If they just were willing to match Indiana's offer for Brogdon last summer the Bucks would be in such a better place.

tanglewood1420
Oct 28, 2010

xbilkis posted:

Yeah I'm half-expecting a Jrue + Giannis extension to get announced imminently and everyone settles down

There is zero reason for Giannis to sign an extension. He could get hit by a truck tomorrow and teams would still line up to offer him a max contract next summer.

tanglewood1420
Oct 28, 2010

Bucks couldn't even throw in Illyasova or DJ Wilson to the deal to get off their salary, lmao what a moronic trade.

tanglewood1420
Oct 28, 2010

Dexo posted:

1. They couldn't dump those contracts without receiving matching money back.

2. oh no the billionaire owner might have to pay some luxury tax.

1. Add one of either DJ Wilson or Illyasova to the trade and it's still works, no matching required from NO

1a. Maybe keep actual good player George Hill and use two bench guys instead as the salary matching?

2. Don't give a poo poo about the owner spending money, but getting that room below the luxury tax means you have the full MLE instead of the smaller taxpayer MLE to sign players.

tanglewood1420
Oct 28, 2010

leftist heap posted:

I like Jrue but he has wrapped around from underrated to overrated. It's a good fit at least.

I would say they still need a really good pick and roll handler in the playoffs (Jrue is decent, but it's not his strength) but then Bud never runs any PnRs so maybe it doesn't matter.

tanglewood1420
Oct 28, 2010

Dexo posted:

Needed to keep them to get Bogdan Bogdanovich obviously

:v:

Tbf, I didn't count on the stupidity of the Kings.

Shame on me

tanglewood1420
Oct 28, 2010

euphronius posted:

Uh

Why didn’t Sacramento just sign Bogdan

quote:

Sacramento

tanglewood1420
Oct 28, 2010

Brooklyn should offer Kyrie for Harden. It makes the Nets better and Houston won't get anything near as good as that coming back, if they won't move him for Kyrie then they won't move him for anything.

tanglewood1420
Oct 28, 2010

So the Rockets gave away Covington and the no. 16 pick to save $20m ($25m owed to Covington over the next two years, minus the $5m they paid Detroit) and get a heavily protected future first that may just end up being second rounders.

Adam Silver is just waiting for any excuse to pull a Donald Sterling on Fertito.

tanglewood1420
Oct 28, 2010

Lockback posted:

The #16 is what they got for Covington. So they basically justy jettisoned Covington for some very protected picks.

Ah yeah that's fair.

Still bad tho

tanglewood1420
Oct 28, 2010

euphronius posted:

2 but he was really good . First ballot HOf

2015 is an asterisk title but still counts my dude

tanglewood1420
Oct 28, 2010

Senator Drinksalot posted:

Why did the Knicks pick Toppin when they desperately need a PG?

Toppin is repped by CAA

tanglewood1420
Oct 28, 2010

Good trade for both Dallas and Philly. Dallas needs someone to guard 1s and 2s and a secondary ball handler, Philly just needs shooting real bad.

Also clears some salary off Dallas' roster for summer 2021 incase you know who is available.

tanglewood1420
Oct 28, 2010

Spacebump posted:

How is the Josh Richardson/Seth Curry trade not awful for the Mavs?

Because Richardson can actually guard someone, which nobody on the Mavs can do? And he can also be a secondary ball handler alongside Luka when he wants a break rather than just tossing the ball to Hardaway Jr. for an iso pull up 19 footer. He in theory should shoot like he did in Miami when he has actual spacing around him and a real point guard in Luka to get him catch and shoots.

Curry is great at what he does but I don't think you can win playoff series with him as one of your five or six best players. He just has too many weaknesses.

tanglewood1420
Oct 28, 2010

Richardson was really highly thought of in Miami, when Philly got him in the Butler trade all the analytics nerds (I include myself in this category) thought it was a great for the 76ers.

Oh Josh, we know you are a good secondary playmaker, but can you please run the offense in the half court? Because our 'point guard' is actually a power forward.

Oh Josh, we know you are a good but not elite shooter, but can you now be our only three point threat in the starting five? Oh and we won't run you off any screens or anything because Brett Brown can't draw up an offense to save his life.

Oh Josh, I know you are one of the better defensive perimeter players in the league, but we don't need you to guard the other teams best player because we have Simmons and Thybulle for that so just like, hang around on defense and try to make yourself useful?

I predict he will be very good for Dallas.

tanglewood1420 fucked around with this message at 05:51 on Nov 19, 2020

tanglewood1420
Oct 28, 2010

Metapod posted:

You said he was trash like 3 days ago????

Yeah but he's just watched a 30 second Nerlens Noel highlight video on YouTube.

tanglewood1420
Oct 28, 2010

Hayward was way overpaid but he was still one of Boston's six best players and better than anyone they will get for their MLE this season. Him leaving hurts them for sure.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tanglewood1420
Oct 28, 2010

Shut Up And Pay The Tax Motherfucker!