Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hashtag Banterzone
Dec 8, 2005

Lifetime Winner of the willkill4food Honorary Bad Posting Award in PWM
Here's my gut feeling ranking for who to expect to make moves

Most Likely to Blow It Up:
Orlando - Expensive payroll, cheap owner and Isaac is out for the year
San Antonio - Old team on the decline, no young guys with star potential, Pop has gotta be close to retiring
Washington - Beal and Wall don't really work well together. Rui and Bryant are the only guys with upside on the roster

Most Likely to Make A Big Move:
Philly - Playing 3 centers isn't going to work for a D'Antoni team - Edit - Or for a Doc Rivers team
Indy - Still juggling Turner and Sabonis, also have to decide what they want to do with Oladipo
Brooklyn - Lots of players that like the ball in their hands and have to figure out Allen and Jordan
Golden State - Most likely won't be as good as they expect to be, and Wiggins or Draymond probably have enough name recognition to get GSW some talent back
Utah - Gobert is gonna get very expensive and there have been rumblings for a while

Hashtag Banterzone fucked around with this message at 15:24 on Oct 13, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hashtag Banterzone
Dec 8, 2005

IcePhoenix posted:

didn't they already hire Rivers

Whoops yes my bad. I still expect them to make a big move to try to put more shooting around Embiid and Simmons.

Gerund posted:

San Antonio has already blown up the team as much as you can blow it up, they have $100m coming off the books for the 21-22 Antetokounmpo-looza. Anything they do is going to be setting up the kind of 18-19 Clippers / Nets landing zone with talented first round picks.

Also before people get confused, Mike The Anthony is still looking for a job, Glenn "Doc" Rivers has the 76ers job. I still think the Philly brain trust could make a move to ship someone out, but it really depends on who comes out on top in their weird power struggle.

San Antonio has never been a free agent destination, and I don't think Giannis is going to be excited to play for an almost-retired Pop with the bad Murray and Derrick White. I expect the Spurs come out playing .500 ball and DeRozan, Aldridge, Rudy Gay and Patti to be in medium/high demand from teams looking to get over the hump.

Hashtag Banterzone
Dec 8, 2005

DorianGravy posted:

Seems like Finch should stay with the Pelicans. In fact, they should exclusively hire people with bird names.

Bird is still a Pacers advisor, so I think it's safe to say Finch is his pick

Hashtag Banterzone
Dec 8, 2005

Lockback posted:

According to the article thing he wants to take some time off. If his kids are around this year that makes a lot of sense.

Daryl Jr and Darla for Bronny. Who says no?

Hashtag Banterzone
Dec 8, 2005

Dejan Bimble posted:

Point forward Blake plus some shooters, Luke Kennard making plays, Derrick Rose slashing for 22 minutes a game, that's at least a team that can win home games.

Yeah I think the Pistons are stuck with Blake. Barring the small chance that they are able to insert themselves into a multi team deal for John Wall, Wiggins, Horford, Westbrook, Paul or Love

Hashtag Banterzone
Dec 8, 2005

The Mozgov and Deng contracts were absolutely awful decisions. Just because LeBron decided to sign there as a free agent doesn't retrospectively make them better signings.

Hashtag Banterzone
Dec 8, 2005

WhyteRyce posted:

Every team and GM from that time has a story about how they totally would have drafted Giannis but because of reason X they did not

I have no clue where Olshey had Giannis on his board, but he would've been so loving good in that Portland team. Lillard/Matthews/Giannis/Aldridge/RoLo starting 5 with Will Barton and Batum coming off the bench.

Being able to close out games with a Lillard/Matthews/Batum/Giannis/Aldridge lineup would've been unfair.

Hashtag Banterzone
Dec 8, 2005

It's a really dumb take because there are only 3 "stars try to get together" teams in the league. The Clippers, Lakers and Nets. Of those teams only one made it past the first round

Hashtag Banterzone
Dec 8, 2005

jackofarcades posted:

Seems weird to be worried about parity right now when it feels like there's 8 teams that have a decent shot at the title next year (4 Semi-Finalists + Clips, Bucks, Nets, Warriors).

The Mavs also feel like they're potentially one move away.

Lol the warriors are gonna be a 5 seed at best.

Hashtag Banterzone
Dec 8, 2005

Buffalo wings are chicken wings, and chickens are pretty close to Raptors. I'll allow it

Hashtag Banterzone
Dec 8, 2005

Stevie Lee posted:

nobody wants to trade for that contract. better start hoping doc rivers unlocks his potential

I can promise you there are 25 teams in the league that would trade for Tobias Harris if they could.

Hashtag Banterzone
Dec 8, 2005

Jrue can absolutely get one last payday on a contending team. NOP isn't gonna want to match those offers. They're smart to shop him, I think they will be able to get a good package for him.

I think NOP learned from when they tried to speed up their rebuild around AD. Jrue worked out but pretty much every other trade, draft pick and signing was a failure and is what led to them losing AD.

Hashtag Banterzone
Dec 8, 2005

Kibner posted:

As far as what the team is asking in return for Jrue, I think they want something that is a step down from a super star trade. He has more value to them than other teams because of who he is outside of being a basketball player.

If a team wants him cheap, they will need to convince him to ask out. That is likely the only way the team will lower their asking price for him. To get him where he wants to go.

Yeah I don't think he's going to go for cheap, but there should be plenty of interest from Philly, Miami, Milwaukee, Indy, Brooklyn, Dallas and others

Hashtag Banterzone
Dec 8, 2005

Kibner posted:

I think the Pels are asking for a starter with upside and another rotation piece that is borderline starter material and/or a lottery pick. Without them being terrible, long-term contracts.

I don't see anything on Philly, Mil, or Dallas that both teams would agree to. Brooklyn has some pieces but they are all needing to have new contracts soon, which makes them not as desirable.

Miami may be a possibility. Don't know about Indy.

You might be right that NOP values Jrue that highly. It would make sense if they plan on offering him another deal or think they might be in the playoff race next season.

Hashtag Banterzone
Dec 8, 2005

Are those the houses the police firebombed from a helicopter?

Hashtag Banterzone
Dec 8, 2005

Rubio for CP3 straight up sounds about right. It frees up $20m of cap space this season and the following and gives OKC a rotation player. I don't know if they are going to get a better offer than that.

Hashtag Banterzone
Dec 8, 2005

If OKC decide to compete their best case scenario is they overpay to keep Gallo, get 2 healthy years out of CP3, extend Adams and he turns back into the player he was a couple years ago, and they find a couple gems in free agency and the draft.

Even if all of that works out I don't see a path to the conference finals. Also it's much more likely that one or more of those things don't happen.

Hashtag Banterzone
Dec 8, 2005

Why would you trade for Russ when Mudiay is available for the vet min?

Hashtag Banterzone
Dec 8, 2005

Athanatos posted:

The Pacers have a long history of using the press to poo poo talk guys who are on the edge of leaving. Makes the fans happy to unite over "gently caress this guy he doesn't like us" but doesn't help getting free agents there. You even hint things are rough for you in Indy and the press is going to start putting things out there.

Dipo, George, Hibbert, O'Neal (Before the trade the "he's out of shape because of his injury"). That's just the last 10 years names.

Lots of teams do it, but the Pacers make it a masterclass.

The fact that David West turned down a $12m player option in order to leave speaks volumes about the Pacers

Hashtag Banterzone
Dec 8, 2005

Is Portland allowed to call up Detroit and say "talk to Whiteside, we want you to sign and trade him for Blake"?

Hashtag Banterzone
Dec 8, 2005

euphronius posted:

Yes

Although white side is a free agent so he can just talk to Detroit on his own

Yeah but if Detroit does that they can't get rid of Blake's contract

Hashtag Banterzone
Dec 8, 2005

MourningView posted:

If they get Matthews then forget what I said about the Green thing, forgot he was out there.

I wonder if Green might get bought out anyway, which would make him a nice add for a contender on a mid level or whatever.

If Green gets bought out it will definitely be after the trade deadline. OKC will be looking to use his expiring to make salaries work.

Athanatos posted:

OKC going to play this season with 0 players, but have 85 picks

euphronius posted:

I thought those Houston ones were unprotected

That’s much less valuable (but still good )

Honestly looking at the picks owed to OKC they aren't as set as I thought they would be. For every Boston-fleecing-Brooklyn trade there are like 3-4 times that the picks end up in the 20s. Not to take anything away from Presti, he did a great job so far with a mediocre hand, but I would be very surprised if OKC gets more than one late lottery pick from all of the picks they're owed.

Hashtag Banterzone
Dec 8, 2005

drat that's a lot more than I expected for Chris Paul, but then again the PHX doesn't exactly win trades very often

Hashtag Banterzone
Dec 8, 2005

When you spend as much time in strip clubs as James Harden, you learn not to trust managers and owners

Hashtag Banterzone
Dec 8, 2005

That's a normal sized head, find a new slant

Hashtag Banterzone
Dec 8, 2005

Senator Drinksalot posted:

Millsap can probably still give a team a solid 17-20 minutes a night and he's an awesome locker room guy. Denver can't afford him probably but he has value to a contender at around the mid level, I think. Somewhere in the range of 8-10 mil for one year.

Edit: Oh wait the Blazers want him to defend AD, lol.

I wouldn't mind Millsap on a team friendly deal. Portland isn't going to attract any top tier free agents, and Millsap could replace Melo's touches with the second unit.

Also AD wrecked the Blazers because the Blazers were missing Ariza and Collins and had a big rotation of Nurkic, Whiteside, Melo and Hezonja. He still would've got his but it wouldn't have been as unfair.

Hashtag Banterzone
Dec 8, 2005

Mario Hezonja

Hashtag Banterzone
Dec 8, 2005

DeimosRising posted:

The Blazers trade is great. Covington is a great fit and they don't need the picks yet. They still should move McCollum though

I was dreading Olshey making a couple small moves and trying to run it back, but I think RoCo moves the needle enough to at least start the season with the same group.

Lillard/CJ/Simons
CJ/Trent Jr/Simons
RoCo/Hood/Trent Jr
Collins/RoCo/Hood/Hezonja/Little/FA
Nurkic/Collins/FA

Also I'm pretty sure this trade works and the trade machine is just being finicky. Only the 1st year of Whiteside's deal is guaranteed. Who says no? Or Cleveland could do the same deal with Love moving to Philly instead.

Hashtag Banterzone
Dec 8, 2005

Katana_Warrior posted:

does detroit get 2 first rounders in this or something? because I'm really wondering why they would ever do that otherwise

They would save $8m this year and $36m next year (Whiteside would be nonguaranteed after the first year)

Hashtag Banterzone
Dec 8, 2005

morestuff posted:

Why would Hassan sign a weird bullshit contract just to facilitate this trade

Might be a longshot but there's no way he's getting anywhere near as much money on the open market, and he could probably start for Detroit and put up good enough stats to get a better deal next year when more teams have cap space.

Hashtag Banterzone
Dec 8, 2005

Lockback posted:

I also don't think Philly would want Blake all that much. It's one of those trades where I think everyone says no, including the players.

Yeah Griffin isn't a great fit in Philly and neither is Horford on Portland. I still think S&T for a negative asset is the next Lin/Asik poison pill contract trick, just gotta find the right visionary GM

Hashtag Banterzone
Dec 8, 2005

Time posted:

gently caress

Where have you gone Dikembe Mutombo Mpolondo Mukamba Jean-Jacques Wamutombo?

Hashtag Banterzone
Dec 8, 2005

Senator Drinksalot posted:

I hope Woj just starts obsessively sending her dick pics

I hope he starts sending her every rumored 2nd round pick swap and also where a bunch of 9th and 10th men are likely to sign

Hashtag Banterzone
Dec 8, 2005

rivetz posted:

This is low-key a pretty critical free agency period for the Blazers imo if they're serious about making a run; as great as it is bringing in Covington they're still pretty thin in the frontcourt. Assuming Whiteside leaves :pray: they have two (2) bigs in Collins and Nurkic, after that it's like Caleb Swanigan / Wenyon Gabriel / nobody reliable. I'd love to see Ibaka and I'd really love to see Marc Gasol if they could figure out a way to convince him to stick around stateside. I think they're going to try to bring Rodney Hood back on a multi-year deal and I don't know how they're gonna afford anyone like Millsap/Ibaka/Gasol, not sure what the market will be like for them

This is where you hope that the work they've done to build a Winning Culture™ pays off - I'm obviously biased but this seems like the kind of team a veteran would want to join for a chance at consistent minutes and a decent playoff run.

PG: Dame / Simons
SG: McCollum / Trent
SF: RoCo / Hood
PF: Collins / RoCo
C: Nurk / Collins

Maybe Melo sucks it up and comes back for a bench role, I'd be down. gently caress the stats Melo owns

Anyway I like that lineup with one more veteran PF/C and think it's realistically about as close to a contending squad as we're going to get in the Dame Era. Dame/CJ/Nurk is a really good core, if they can stay healthy and beef up the frontcourt a little bit more I think they have a shot at a great season

I think it's gonna be really tough to get the quality at PF that Portland needs. There just aren't many starting level 4s in the league, let alone free agents willing to take the MLE. Portis might be an interesting possibility, tho he might be too expensive. Millsap might end up being the best option available.

As for center, I don't think Portland is going to be able to get someone good enough to warrant moving Collins to PF, so a cheap 3rd stringer is probably all that Olshey is gone be able to find considering the money and minutes available.

Hashtag Banterzone
Dec 8, 2005

MourningView posted:

Portland acquired exactly one real defensive player and it freaked them out so much they had to immediately go find the worst one available to balance things out.

Kanter helped Portland get past Paul George and then Jokic once before, he can do it again.

Hashtag Banterzone
Dec 8, 2005

Spacebump posted:

Really curious to see what Melo gets.

Probably the min from Portland

Also I just want to gush for a minute about Portland's roster, even if they don't bring Melo back. They have the talent and the depth to be fighting for the 1 seed in the West.

Lillard/CJ/Simons
CJ/Trent Jr
RoCo/Hood/Little
Collins/RoCo/DJJ
Nurkic/Kanter

Hashtag Banterzone
Dec 8, 2005

Veryslightlymad posted:

I've given it some thought and OKC is probably already in the realm of diminished returns for their picks. Those kids all gotta develop, and running them by themselves without some kind of team anchor is likely going to impede most of them. What's the closest equivalent to that? The Baby Bulls before Rose was drafted? OKC themselves drafting three MVPs in a row? Does Presti feel he can do that bullshit a second time?

I disagree. They're likely only going to have one extra pick next year (the GSW pick is 1-20 protected), and 2 extra in 2022. Additionally OKC was in win-now mode up until last year, so they don't have very many good young players. Shai and Dort are the only two who have shown the potential to be starters, so there's plenty of room on their roster for young players with upside.

Hashtag Banterzone
Dec 8, 2005

I see 3 distinct groups in the West.

1 Lakers 3
1 Clippers 5
1 Jazz 6
1 Mavs 6
1 Blazers 6
3 Nuggets 7

5 Suns 9
5 Rockets 12
6 Grizzlies 10
6 Pelicans 10
6 Warriors 12
6 Wolves 10

9 Kings 15
10 Spurs 15
13 Thunder 15

Hashtag Banterzone
Dec 8, 2005

rivetz posted:

Maybe we should just put everybody on the Lakers and the season can just be like scrimmages against themselves

I find it helpful to remind myself that in 10 years LA will be an inhospitable fiery wasteland and the Lakers will be slightly less likely to have the best players in the league land in their lap.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hashtag Banterzone
Dec 8, 2005

MourningView posted:

He was really bad his last year in Portland and then last season with the Jazz but otherwise I think he has been solidly A Pretty Good Backup much more often than not

He was bad his 2nd to last year in Portland, but your point still stands. Ideally he can be the defensive anchor for the 2nd unit, but he's also 31 and an undersized center with no offensive skills.