Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Turpitude II posted:

hope tiny house owners never find themselves significantly injured or disabled in any way. don't think a wheelchair would fit in one of those things

Just hang rings from the tiny ceiling and swing around like on monkey bars.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Xaintrailles
Aug 14, 2015

:hellyeah::histdowns:
Thought the whole point was that you park it in your parents' garden? That seems fair enough if you can't get planning for an extension and you keep the tweeness in check. Ma and Pa get their BDSM basement back, you save on rent and can share their chest freezer.

Colonel Cancer
Sep 26, 2015

Tune into the fireplace channel, you absolute buffoon
You don't do your laundry every day? What are you some kind of an animal

unpacked robinhood
Feb 18, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
I love cooking something good and then everything smells like garlic and farts, it's great !

Colonel Cancer
Sep 26, 2015

If it's not at least 3bedroom and with 2 ACs what's even the point of having a house

unpacked robinhood
Feb 18, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
This comes from the same bag we got those news articles that were in substance "Millenials love the freedom of short term employment and lovely contracts, unlike their lame boomer parents"

Jeza
Feb 13, 2011

The cries of the dead are terrible indeed; you should try not to hear them.
I went looking up average house square footage over time, and it turns out American houses have been getting bigger on average even while average occupancy decreases, while in the UK they are shrinking. Kinda interesting. It's honestly sort of strange to see that U.S houses have grown so much when the 'need' for more space has decreased due to smaller families and a decline in demand for spaces like pantries, laundry rooms, and hell, even stuff like dedicated dining rooms.

Colonel Cancer
Sep 26, 2015

Bigger people, bigger houses. If it's not getting bigger with time like a tumor, it's not capitalism!

Razakai
Sep 15, 2007

People are afraid
To merge on the freeway
Disappear here
It is pretty surprising from a UK perspective hearing discussion about US house sizes. The average 3 bed where I am is like 1000sqft or so (southeast so pretty expensive too)

Serjeant Snubbin
Feb 1, 2002

Pillbug

buglord posted:

Moving to a small 904sq ft apartment seemed bad at first but the ease of cleaning, necessity for organization, and low cost pretty much sold me on the idea of a small living space. I don't know what the resell market is like on Tiny Houses but i'd imagine it is less than great and im assuming its probably better to buy a small house at that point.
Oh look at this show off with his gigantic apartment!!!

I lived for a few years in an apartment that was about 650sq ft (depending on how you measured it) and I still had an extra room I never went into to, a second bathroom only for guests, and enough room to stack nonsense I should have just thrown away because I never used it.

It really depends how well it's built. This place was very tidy.

Snackula
Aug 1, 2013

hedgefund wizard
Tiny House Movement sounds like a twee EDM label.

GORDON
Jan 1, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

Facebook Aunt posted:

Yes. Also more environmentally friendly. Vastly more efficient to heat. Much more likely to be built near amenities and transit corridors.

Apartments are the bees knees.

After.growing up with too many siblings, and then bad dorm roommates, and then bad military roommates, and then noisy apartment neighbors for years and years, apartments stop being knee joints of bees. It becomes a mental health issue.

unpacked robinhood
Feb 18, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
A normal house where you don't have to deal with other people's bullshit

Skratte
Nov 11, 2010

If I'm gonna live in some kinda hipster dream home it's going to be a big weird tree house. I want my hallways to be rope bridges and I want to get in and out of my tree house with a complex system of ropes and pulleys.

the only way out of my tree house is a deadly zipline

Colonel Cancer
Sep 26, 2015

GORDON posted:

After.growing up with too many siblings, and then bad dorm roommates, and then bad military roommates, and then noisy apartment neighbors for years and years, apartments stop being knee joints of bees. It becomes a mental health issue.

You can get therapy and an apartment my friend, they are not mutually exclusive!

unpacked robinhood
Feb 18, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
Therapy doesn't prevent your neighbors from being dogshit

coronavirus
Jan 27, 2020

by Cyrano4747
"Tiny Houses", or as they were known pre 1950s , "houses".

Harveygod
Jan 4, 2014

YEEAAH HEH HEH HEEEHH

YOU KNOW WHAT I'M SAYIN

THIS TRASH WAR AIN'T GONNA SOLVE ITSELF YA KNOW
My opinion of tiny houses is colored by the fact that the only person I know who was into them makes really, really bad life choices.

She now lives in an RV. After she bought it she was asking everyone on Facebook if someone could tow it for her to some place. And also to give her a place to tow it to and live. Because she did not have these details sorted out before she bought the thing.

Skratte
Nov 11, 2010

I grew up in a tiny house (not a mobile one, a regular house), and it was poo poo. Would not recommend. 4 people crammed into 500 square feet of space is just a recipe for trouble. We were constantly angry.

EorayMel
May 30, 2015

WE GET IT. YOU LOVE GUN JESUS. Toujours des fusils Bullpup Français.
Are tiny houses better or worse than groverhouse? Discuss.

GORDON
Jan 1, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

Colonel Cancer posted:

You can get therapy and an apartment my friend, they are not mutually exclusive!

I'm picturing the hypnotherapy scene from Office Space.

"Make me not care about sharing walls with obnoxious neighbors with no respect for anyone around them."

Colonel Cancer
Sep 26, 2015

Giving up all your possessions and going to join a monastery on some mountains is also an option.

Crespolini
Mar 9, 2014

Tiny living spaces look cute in promo pictures and then you try living in one and realise that a) you have to clean & tidy constantly because the moment a spec of dirt appears your whole house is filthy and B) every kind of "clever" solution like a table that flips up to become a wall or something stops being fun after two days and then you just pick a position and never move it again

LGD
Sep 25, 2004

ScRoTo TuRbOtUrD posted:

It turns out that if you actually do the twenty percent down payment its very difficult to pay more than what you would pay rent for. Its bigger, you have a place to park your car, and you can smoke weed completely legally without breaking your lease

yeah, ofc the problem is that present circumstances make accumulating the $50k+ you generally need extremely difficult/impossible for most people absent some sort of major windfall/intergenerational wealth transfer

if you can though it's absolutely the bee's knees and highly recommended

Ups_rail posted:

also why doent people just live on boats? theres like a ton of water on earth.

combining the maintenance of a house and a boat into a single rapidly depreciating thing isn't a good means of saving money over more traditional land-based housing solutions

Call Your Grandma
Jan 17, 2010

Noblesse Obliged posted:

It’s better if houses have no movement

I’m bob vila and I know this kind of poo poo

op's posting is inspiring a movement if you know what i mean not boner, poo

The_Franz
Aug 8, 2003

i wonder how many of those families of 4 living in a garden shed and sleeping together in the loft because "WE ARE A CLOSE FAMILY AND CARE FOR EACH OTHER" are still happy after years of zero privacy and things getting increasingly cramped and weird as their kids grow up and want some space

barbecue at the folks
Jul 20, 2007

I've seen these, even here in Finland. I just keep thinking,

So...

a cabin? But worse?

barbecue at the folks fucked around with this message at 09:27 on Jun 29, 2021

mds2
Apr 8, 2004

Australia: 131114
Canada: 18662773553
Germany: 08001810771
India: 8888817666
Japan: 810352869090
Russia: 0078202577577
UK: 08457909090
US: 1-800-273-8255
I love the shows Tiny House Hunters and Tiny House World.

Here is every show.
Realtor: Here is the 100 square foot MicroMansion. No kitchen and you have to poo poo in a bucket. Fully customizable starting at $75,000
Couple: Its really small in here. I dont think there is enough space for us to entertain our 30 friends.
Everyone: *disappointed shrugs*

Call Your Grandma
Jan 17, 2010

I know in most Canadian cities, there's a small but growing trend toward "laneway houses" in the less dense parts of the city proper. In areas where the lot is still ~3x the footprint of the house, buildings that used to be detached garages which faced the alleys for garbage pickup/parking are replaced with houses that are maybe half the size of the main house and they can be quite nice depending on the architect.

bar88537
Nov 8, 2004

coronavirus posted:

"Tiny Houses", or as they were known pre 1950s , "houses".

Everyone remember when RFK wanted to see how poor people lived. They were pretty tiny.

Do it ironically
Jul 13, 2010

by Pragmatica
This is only a trend because boomers picked the ladder up behind them and hosed future generations over, wonder what’s going to happen when they all start dying off and there’s a glut of 5 bedroom houses they were living in with only their spouse

big nipples big life
May 12, 2014

buying a house that could easily become a projectile 9 months out of the year in florida seems like a poor idea.

Octopus Magic
Dec 19, 2003

I HATE EVERYTHING THAT YOU LIKE* AND I NEED TO BE SURE YOU ALL KNOW THAT EVERY TIME I POST

*unless it's a DSM in which case we cool ^_^

Do it ironically posted:

This is only a trend because boomers picked the ladder up behind them and hosed future generations over, wonder what’s going to happen when they all start dying off and there’s a glut of 5 bedroom houses they were living in with only their spouse

this is actually coming very soon (within the next 10-15 years) and the entire real-estate crash is going to decimate a lot of wealth in areas outside the northeast/west coast.

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost

unpacked robinhood posted:

Therapy doesn't prevent your neighbors from being dogshit

liquidity in housing market does tho

just find another apt lol

cynic
Jan 19, 2004

I lived in this a while after a neighbours from hell episode required me to have no loving neighbours for a while. It actually had a fully functional sauna, and a river running next to it. It was pretty nice. I've also lived in a yurt in a quarry and a straw house over the years (although none of them for more than around 3 months)

I guess this is more alt/hippy poo poo than actual neat tiny house though.

Mad Doctor Cthulhu
Mar 3, 2008

Harveygod posted:

My opinion of tiny houses is colored by the fact that the only person I know who was into them makes really, really bad life choices.

She now lives in an RV. After she bought it she was asking everyone on Facebook if someone could tow it for her to some place. And also to give her a place to tow it to and live. Because she did not have these details sorted out before she bought the thing.

Sounds like the tiny house fanatic I used to work with. She resigned from her job because she was trying to create a website on her work computer to promote her phone sex line on NiteFlirt or something strange.

Lawrence Gilchrist
Mar 31, 2010

Do it ironically posted:

Capital management firms are buying all the houses that this happens to so that they can rent them at exorbitant rates

Best Bi Geek Squid
Mar 25, 2016
I'd live in a tiny house but my dick is just way too big to fit :(

Bananaquiter
Aug 20, 2008

Ron's not here.

mds2 posted:

I love the shows Tiny House Hunters and Tiny House World.

Here is every show.
Realtor: Here is the 100 square foot MicroMansion. No kitchen and you have to poo poo in a bucket. Fully customizable starting at $75,000
Couple: Its really small in here. I dont think there is enough space for us to entertain our 30 friends.
Everyone: *disappointed shrugs*

"Hmmm, not much storage space."

Sears should have saved themselves by bringing back their mail order houses.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Queen Victorian
Feb 21, 2018

I actually really like owning a largish (ratty fixer upper) house with amenities like a formal dining room and lots of other rooms and also owning the land underneath the house. The multiple rooms have worked out really well during quarantine, too.

I’ve never understood the tiny house craze - it’s basically just a camper trailer with shingles stapled to it and made all photogenic for Instagram. If you want a mobile existence, just get an actual camper trailer because less drag and more structural integrity. If you want a getaway, buy some cheap wooded land in the boonies and build a cabin from a kit (I would love to do this someday). If you can’t afford a house, live in an apartment or move to a cheaper part of the country (what I did). There are places where you can buy a real house (with the land underneath it included) for far less than a tiny house. Buddy of mine recently bought a cute 1,100sqft cottage for 30k. It’s perfect for him and his dog, and he has a separate office and also enough space to have people over (at least when there’s not a pandemic).