Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kinu Nishimura
Apr 24, 2008

SICK LOOT!

7th Dragon 2020: Sympathy for Chisa Inomiko
(an LP EOV Anniversary Project)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pNlKNddRDmM
Watch the game's opening movie here.

What's 7th Dragon?

The 7th Dragon series is the weird offshoot brainchild of Kazuya Niinou, the director of a game you might have heard of called Etrian Odyssey (and none of its sequels). Both series, as a result, are create-your-own-character dungeon crawlers. Where 7th Dragon stands out is its heavier emphasis on storyline and characters, and starting from its second game (this one), a unique sci-fi aesthetic to contrast with other, more high fantasy dungeon crawlers.

Oh, and also, only the last of the four games in the series ever got an English release, so barely anyone has heard of the series.

Okay, then what's 7th Dragon 2020?

7th Dragon 2020, and its sequel, 7th Dragon 2020-II, are the second and third games in the series, forming a duology with several recurring characters and mostly the same gameplay, barring a few additions in II. Since they essentially tell one continuous story about the same people, this LP will be covering both games.

Why do the protagonists look different from everyone else?

This is a narrative LP—since the protagonists in the original game are silent, blank slates, in the grand tradition of dungeon crawler LPs, I've taken the liberty of creating a cast of characters who will be going through this story with you, the viewer, and acting as the heroes. I dearly hope you'll enjoy their stories as much as you do the game itself.

The art for the characters is wholly custom-made, by the amazing Kat Langomez, AKA KiraKiraKat, whose Twitter you can find at this link here.. Thanks, Kat. Appreciate you.

Chisa seems a little familiar.

You may recognize some continuity from a previous LP that I helped on: Etrian Odyssey V. I would, of course, never ask my audience to read an entire other LP to read mine, but if you have read it, you'll likely recognize some continuity and references here and there. It's that LP's fourth anniversary, you know. Happy birthday, LP EOV.

Who are you?

I'm Kinu, and I'll be your host through this game. I'll also be joined by my cohost, Rea, the author of the aforementioned EOV LP.

Basic gameplay commentary will be formatted like this.

My personal comments will be formatted like this.

Rea's comments will be formatted like this when I'm not using her commentary like some sort of freaky flesh puppet.

Table of Contents

Table of Contents

-2020: Chapter 1-

Update 1: The Murakumo Entrance Exam
Update 2: The Dragon-Elimination Strike Team, Murakumo Unit 13
Update 3: Matte! Black Bullet (Tokyo City Hall, 1)
Addendum 1: Chisa Inomiko (Unit 13's Captain, Class: Samurai) Tactical Overview Part 1
Update 4: An Express Delivery (Tokyo City Hall, 2)
Update 5: Women of War (Vs. Warcry)

-2020: Chapter 1.5-
Appendix B: The Boy's Got Wings (Regarding the Events of Eight Years Ago)
Update 6: Tiny Village in the Desert
Update 7: Dancer in the Street (Shibuya Flowersea, 1)
Update 8: SKY and the Others (Shibuya Flowersea, 2)
Update 9: Working Today, Too
Update 10: Smash Up! (Shibuya Flowersea, 3)
Update 11: The World Beneath Your Feet (Kokubunji Subway, 1)
Addendum 2: SATSUKI (Unit 13's Treasurer, Class: Trickster) Tactical Overview Part 1
Update 12: Watch Your Step! (Kokubunji Subway, 2)

-2020: Chapter 2-
Update 13: Steel Myself for Battle
Update 14: Lost in Green (Toshima Sewers)
Update 15: Even Towards Death, Valiantly (Ikebukuro Railcage, 1)
Update 16: Prayer (Ikebukuro Railcage, 2)
Update 17: Triple Laser Phase (Vs. Jigowatt)
Update 18: All My Pride
Update 19: World is Mine
Addendum 3: Richter Esslinger (Unit 13's Secretary, Class: Hacker) Tactical Overview Part 1

-2020: Chapter 3-
Update 20: Demon Ruination
Update 21: The Place Where I Used To Be (Yotsuya Evernight, 1)
Update 22: Unruined Reason (Yotsuya Evernight, 2)
Update 23: She Walks Ever Onward (Yotsuya Evernight, 3)
Update 24: Trembling Heart (In Your Belief) (Vs. Lore-A-Lua)
Addendum 4: Youka Fudoji (Unit 13's Vanguard, Class: Destroyer) Tactical Overview Part 1

-2020: Chapter 4-
Update 25: the quiet rooms
Update 26: one thing reality
Update 27: lily in desert
Update 28: electric chair
Update 29: Crimson Fighters
Chisa Inomiko's Reminiscence, I ~ The Farmhand and the Young Lady
Chisa Inomiko's Reminiscence, II ~ The Girl Genius of Hibikino Academy
Chisa Inomiko's Reminiscence, III ~ The Farmhand, the Young Lady, and the Monster
Update 30: You Are Not Part Of The Control Group
Addendum 5: Koron Nagataka (Unit 13's Vice-Captain, Class: Psychic) Tactical Overview Part 1

-2020: Chapter 5-
Update 31: Atheistic Love
Update 32: A God's Beast
Update 33: Destruction
Update 34: Saluting the Fallen

-2020: Chapter 6-
Update 35: You'll See Out The End Of Tales
Update 36: self regulatory party
Update 37: A Little Heart to Heart
Update 38: Always Doing Things My Way
Koron Nagataka's Reminiscence I ~ The Fool On The Hill
Koron Nagataka's Reminiscence II ~ Good Morning Good Morning
Koron Nagataka's Reminiscence III ~ Cry Baby Cry

-2020: Chapter 7-
Update 39: dry fish
Update 40: you can't fxxk me (In My World)
Update 41: No Cake For You
Update 42: Beloved World, Beloved People

-2020: Chapter X-
Update 43: Material Delights
Update 44: A Raging Empress's Banquet
Update 45: Project NEW GAME
Update 46: death from above 4098
Update 47: One Who Spins Samsara

-2020: Postgame-
Update 48: Opus 13
Update 49: Bang! Bang! Big Hornes Explosion!
Update 50: Takehaya Gets Trolled
Youka Fudoji's Reminiscence I ~ Intelligence for Violence
Youka Fudoji's Reminiscence II ~ Smile Venomously
Youka Fudoji's Reminiscence III ~ Bad Fortune Flower

-The Year Between-
I ~ A God's Beast
II ~ Heavenly Town
III ~ Unbearable Atmosphere
IV ~ Reckless Blade

-2020-II: Prologue-
Update 51: A Small Journey
Update 52: Sunny Spot
Update 53: Thousand Wings

-2020-II: Chapter 1-
Update 54: Flapper Girl
Update 55: OVER THE WORLD WALL
Update 56: A Warring God

-2020-II: Intermission 1-
Update 57: 15 Acres of Broken Glass
Update 58: Haunted Fortress 2
Addendum VI: Chisa Inomiko's Tactical Overview Part II
Update 59: Turismo
Update 60: Soaring Dragon
Addendum VII: Koron Nagataka's Tactical Overview Part II

-2020-II: Chapter 2-
Update 61: Self Esteem Fund

Appendix A: Regarding the Backgrounds of Unit 13
The Story of Chisa Inomiko: "The Young Lady and the Cloaked Man"
The Story of SATSUKI: "The Camera Girl and her Cats"
The Story of Youka Fudoji: "The Haggard Woman and her Family"
The Story of Richter Esslinger: "The Hitchhiker and the Waiting List"
The Story of Koron Nagataka: "The Hermit and the Rabbit Doll"
The Story of Mio Akaneno: "The Otaku and the World that Wasn't"
The Story of Homura Akaneno: "Homura Akaneno and her Old Friend"

Kinu Nishimura fucked around with this message at 21:30 on Oct 17, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kinu Nishimura
Apr 24, 2008

SICK LOOT!

Part 1: The Murakumo Entrance Exam

This was the day their crusade began. Welcome to Tokyo 2020.

Kinu Nishimura fucked around with this message at 21:13 on Sep 11, 2021

Kinu Nishimura
Apr 24, 2008

SICK LOOT!
Fanart Collection

-An artist's rendition of Agent Nagataka, by 'hutiaweta', an off-site reader.

Kinu Nishimura fucked around with this message at 21:26 on Sep 11, 2021

Vandar
Sep 14, 2007

Isn't That Right, Chairman?

Liked, followed, and subscribed. Let's do this.

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

My disdain for you all knows no bounds.
Oh hey, this is finally up. I helped Kinu and Rea out slightly on the technical back end for this project. (Mostly with data and game mechanics as best I could.)

Fun fact, while most enemies have it so that D-Depth can only have a 45% or 50% chance to land on them, D1 and D2 have their stats fudged so that D-Depth always lands on them. This is so you can witness how a Destroyer works if you have one in the party and actually get to use their full kit in the battles that matter in the prologue. It's a neat little design trick. None of the other classes have such fudging, but they don't need it at this point in the game.

Rea
Apr 5, 2011

Komi-san won.
Hi, I helped with the tech bits, namely providing hosting and helping Kinu get up to speed on how to make a screenshot Let's Play. I hope everyone enjoys Sympathy, it's a major project with a lot of work behind it.

Omobono
Feb 19, 2013

That's it! No more hiding in tomato crates! It's time to show that idiota Germany how a real nation fights!

For pasta~! CHARGE!

I'm trying to figure who are Chisa's parents (assuming she's closely related to the EOV LP cast).
She's clearly gone gallivanting in an Yggdrasil Labyrinth or another, so her parents have to be people strong enough to stroll through the Empyreal Bridge, or at least they can call in favors with Archon. The Star Devourer being currently busy devouring dirt five light-years under doesn't hurt to be fair.

Raven and Mio should be out because they're in another corner of the multiverse, hopefully one without a 7th Dragon's dragon infestation; Magda and Kaelin "smugbert"? I've got nothing otherwise.

BrightWing
Apr 27, 2012

Yes, he is quite mad.
Welp, I'm 500% on board. Im still thinking about potential reasons Chisa is a longer haired Raven.

E: Oh yeah, and the OST is an absolute banger

BrightWing fucked around with this message at 20:19 on Oct 14, 2020

Kinu Nishimura
Apr 24, 2008

SICK LOOT!
Links to the updates will be mirrored on Rhematic from the TOC, and from here on, Rhematic links will be linked with future updates.

Omobono posted:

Raven and Mio should be out because they're in another corner of the multiverse, hopefully one without a 7th Dragon's dragon infestation;

about that

Kinu Nishimura fucked around with this message at 22:39 on Oct 14, 2020

Omobono
Feb 19, 2013

That's it! No more hiding in tomato crates! It's time to show that idiota Germany how a real nation fights!

For pasta~! CHARGE!

Oh godsdammit.

I was originally going to ask if this one was the one with Miku in it, then the update posted the trailer so question answered.
Kinda hope the other two characters survived. Yes I know big guy declared only Chisa survived :(

Kinu Nishimura
Apr 24, 2008

SICK LOOT!
Good news, you'll get to find out now!

Part 2: The Dragon-Elimination Strike Team, Murakumo Unit 13

I changed my mind, because otherwise every post of these is gonna have to be split in half. Anyway, today, Chisa meets some new friends.

Omobono
Feb 19, 2013

For pasta~! CHARGE!

New questionably sane people who can piledrive monsters friends :stoked:. It's like Chisa never left Iorys. Go get them dragons girl.

Pour one for Mugen and Kyoshiro. And by pour one I mean, in addition to the standard, to cut the chief dragon into ribbons for them.

E: does it count as a Chuuni phase if you really did school an interstellar threat with your Great Scythe of Cold Ash before getting isekai'd on Earth with an alternate past to make you fit in?

Omobono fucked around with this message at 08:51 on Oct 15, 2020

Roluth
Apr 22, 2014

Only 5 classes, huh? Seems pretty small for a dungeon crawler like this.

BrightWing
Apr 27, 2012

Yes, he is quite mad.
Ah, that's why Chisa looks like Raven. I am not a smart person.

BisbyWorl
Jan 12, 2019

Knowledge is pain plus observation.

I really like Tokyo Hall Inverted as a starter dungeon. Boss dragons in 7D were more plain about things. This one fucks with a volcano, that one smacks airships out of the sky. The first boss dragon here flips a building while leaving the outside unchanged.
You aren't fighting a beast, you're fighting a force of nature.

Roluth posted:

Only 5 classes, huh? Seems pretty small for a dungeon crawler like this.

Trickster has two weapon lines, so in practice it feels more like 6 which meshes nicely with the three man party.

Speaking of that, I'm honestly curious if the original 7D was going to have a three man party at one point, as most NPC teams you run into in that are all three man.

Double Plus Undead
Dec 24, 2010
Playing VFD gave me a migraine, so I'm going to be watching this LP with interest! I wish there were more dungeon crawlers with a modern aesthetic like this.

SpruceZeus
Aug 13, 2011

hey this rules good job

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Just how many mistakes have you suffered on the way here?

An uncountable number, to be sure.
Oh wow, I can't believe it's been 4 years since the EO5 LP.

Rea
Apr 5, 2011

Komi-san won.

Clarste posted:

Feels like just yesterday we changed Star Eater to Planet Devourer, only for the official localization to mix both. :v:

Kinu Nishimura
Apr 24, 2008

SICK LOOT!

Clarste posted:

It's been a long four years. I'm really glad to have the chance to revisit the storyline and gently caress with it like this. Also hi Clarste. Thank you for not fully draining my energy with your shoggoth powers and allowing me to continue living. I am in your debt.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Kinu Nishimura posted:

It's been a long four years. I'm really glad to have the chance to revisit the storyline and gently caress with it like this. Also hi Clarste. Thank you for not fully draining my energy with your shoggoth powers and allowing me to continue living. I am in your debt.

You're welcome.

LP posted:

Incidentally, I have nothing whatsoever to do with the translation of this game, but I thought it was pretty interesting how the chapters have titles in both English and Japanese, and the English is not quite a translation of the Japanese. In this case, "Senjou no Yobigoe" is more like "call of the battlefield" and sort of has that nuance of being invited to battle. Pretty much every chapter has a double meaning like this, iirc.

Clarste fucked around with this message at 11:37 on Oct 16, 2020

Kinu Nishimura
Apr 24, 2008

SICK LOOT!

Clarste posted:

Incidentally, I have nothing whatsoever to do with the translation of this game, but I thought it was pretty interesting how the chapters have titles in both English and Japanese, and the English is not quite a translation of the Japanese. In this case, "Senjou no Yobigoe" is more like "call of the battlefield" and sort of has that nuance of being invited to battle. Pretty much every chapter has a double meaning like this, iirc.

That's rad. This game rules.

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

My disdain for you all knows no bounds.
Pokeytax handled the fan translations of pretty much every game that wasn't VFD, so he also worked on this game. Dude did a lot for this series for us international speakers. While he did do a decent job on the DS game, the translations for the PSP games are considerably more polished I'd say.

For anyone who's interested in playing any of the 7th Dragon games that isn't VFD, you can find the fan translations here.

Pokeytax
Jun 13, 2005

Clarste posted:

Interestingly, the English here is actually present in the original JP release, and it definitely isn't just the direct one-to-one; Warcry is rendered elsewhere as ウォークライ, not 戦場の呼び声.

Araxxor posted:

While he did do a decent job on the DS game, the translations for the PSP games are considerably more polished I'd say.

Emphasizing here that it's totally okay to critique my work on this game (i.e. the translation and game text). Please, just treat the game the same way you'd treat EO5 or any other release, as the source material for a rad narrative LP.

I didn't help out at all with this project and it is a surprise I am jiga amped for, so I am going to step back quietly and listen to the story.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Pokeytax posted:

Interestingly, the English here is actually present in the original JP release, and it definitely isn't just the direct one-to-one; Warcry is rendered elsewhere as ウォークライ, not 戦場の呼び声.

Sorry, that's not how I meant it. I thought it was pretty obvious that both the English and Japanese text were in the original, and that the different meanings were intentional too. It wasn't meant to be a critique of the fan translation, I just thought I'd comment on the Japanese text in the game like I did back in the EO5 LP. Sorry if that wasn't clear.

I think your translation is great, for the record.

Pokeytax
Jun 13, 2005

Clarste posted:

Sorry, that's not how I meant it. I thought it was pretty obvious that both the English and Japanese text were in the original, and that the different meanings were intentional too. It wasn't meant to be a critique of the fan translation, I just thought I'd comment on the Japanese text in the game like I did back in the EO5 LP. Sorry if that wasn't clear.

I think your translation is great, for the record.

Thanks for the kind words! And don’t worry, I just didn’t want anyone to think I deserved credit for that nuance. I could read comments on the Japanese text forever so please never stop posting.

Rea
Apr 5, 2011

Komi-san won.
There's one particular neat touch in 2020-II's translation that I'll bring up when we get there. It's a small thing but for some reason it makes me smile a lot.

Rea fucked around with this message at 03:43 on Oct 17, 2020

Kinu Nishimura
Apr 24, 2008

SICK LOOT!

Pokeytax posted:

Emphasizing here that it's totally okay to critique my work on this game (i.e. the translation and game text). Please, just treat the game the same way you'd treat EO5 or any other release, as the source material for a rad narrative LP.

I didn't help out at all with this project and it is a surprise I am jiga amped for, so I am going to step back quietly and listen to the story.

Holy loving poo poo

NHO
Jun 25, 2013

Main character looks and feels like awkward Utena escapee, in best possible way.

Kinu Nishimura
Apr 24, 2008

SICK LOOT!

NHO posted:

Main character looks and feels like awkward Utena escapee, in best possible way.

I spent six months in the process of designing these characters and hanging out in Kat's Twitch stream to direct her art. Seventy-seven total pages, I wrote. I hate Twitch streams. And every second, no matter how many times I said—"lol who's the Kill la Kill OC?" "she looks like the girl from Kill la Kill!" No matter how many times Chisa showed up on stream, it was always Kill la Kill, Kill la Kill, just because of that hair swoop and the shoulderpads. No matter how many drat times I said it, nobody actually listened to me when I said, no, you loving rubes, she's supposed to be designed more in the style of, say, Revolutionary Girl Utena. It was always Kill la Kill! Kill la Kill! Nice Kill la Kill OC! No! It's not loving Kill la Kill, you bastards! You ignoble kisama!

Thank you. This is the first time anyone's brought up Utena. Thank you. I'm so glad someone, finally, understands my soul. I'm going to have Chisa go up a thousand stairs in your honor.

Oublietteer
Jul 30, 2018

Is that you, Edea Lee?
I’m excited to read this, but none of the pictures are loaded. Is it just me?

Kinu Nishimura
Apr 24, 2008

SICK LOOT!

Oublietteer posted:

I’m excited to read this, but none of the pictures are loaded. Is it just me?

This is a noted issue for some people on mobile that I don't really know what to do about! "Try to read it on desktop" feels a bit dismissive but I'm, technically speaking, a dumbass who does words good, and I honestly have no idea how to fix it.

BisbyWorl
Jan 12, 2019

Knowledge is pain plus observation.

Kinu Nishimura posted:

This is a noted issue for some people on mobile that I don't really know what to do about! "Try to read it on desktop" feels a bit dismissive but I'm, technically speaking, a dumbass who does words good, and I honestly have no idea how to fix it.

Is there any particular reason your images are .webp? You're the first LP I've read that uses it, and that might be part of it.

Rea
Apr 5, 2011

Komi-san won.

BisbyWorl posted:

Is there any particular reason your images are .webp? You're the first LP I've read that uses it, and that might be part of it.

I went with webp because Firefox had finally adopted it last year and I'm big on using space-saving formats.

I think I'll re-configure my site to just serve JPG versions instead if the requesting browser doesn't support webp. More people ended up being unable to load webp images than I expected...

Rea fucked around with this message at 14:49 on Oct 19, 2020

Rea
Apr 5, 2011

Komi-san won.
Update: rhematic now falls back to PNGs/JPGs if your browser doesn't support WebP. It's not perfect—I don't know what to do about animated WebPs yet, so those just show a placeholder image—but it should be fine until Apple gets off their asses and makes the versions of Safari that support WebP more widely available.

Apologies for the inconvenience, anyone who was affected!

Rea fucked around with this message at 19:44 on Oct 19, 2020

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

Is there some way you could auto-convert them into an animated gif without ruining them? Or is an animated webp more like an mp4?

Oublietteer
Jul 30, 2018

Is that you, Edea Lee?

Rea posted:

Update: rhematic now falls back to PNGs/JPGs if your browser doesn't support WebP. It's not perfect—I don't know what to do about animated WebPs yet, so those just show a placeholder image—but it should be fine until Apple gets off their asses and makes the versions of Safari that support WebP more widely available.

Thanks, appreciate it!

This looks like a cool and fun project I'll be here for. I was just thinking the other day of finishing playing 2020-II, and if you're gonna cover that, it looks like I have a good reason to do so.

Kinu Nishimura
Apr 24, 2008

SICK LOOT!

Rea posted:

I just want everyone to know, by the way, that Rea is handling basically all of the programming aspects here. I don't know how to program or, for that matter, do LPs outside of piggybacking off of the method she helped me set up. My troubleshooting method is screaming "GOMENASAI, POSTER-TACHIIIIIIII" really loud. This LP is held together by spit and dreams.

BrightWing
Apr 27, 2012

Yes, he is quite mad.

Kinu Nishimura posted:

I just want everyone to know, by the way, that Rea is handling basically all of the programming aspects here. I don't know how to program or, for that matter, do LPs outside of piggybacking off of the method she helped me set up. My troubleshooting method is screaming "GOMENASAI, POSTER-TACHIIIIIIII" really loud. This LP is held together by spit and dreams.

Just like Unit 13!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NHO
Jun 25, 2013

Kinu Nishimura posted:

I spent six months in the process of designing these characters and hanging out in Kat's Twitch stream to direct her art. Seventy-seven total pages, I wrote. I hate Twitch streams. And every second, no matter how many times I said—"lol who's the Kill la Kill OC?" "she looks like the girl from Kill la Kill!" No matter how many times Chisa showed up on stream, it was always Kill la Kill, Kill la Kill, just because of that hair swoop and the shoulderpads. No matter how many drat times I said it, nobody actually listened to me when I said, no, you loving rubes, she's supposed to be designed more in the style of, say, Revolutionary Girl Utena. It was always Kill la Kill! Kill la Kill! Nice Kill la Kill OC! No! It's not loving Kill la Kill, you bastards! You ignoble kisama!

Thank you. This is the first time anyone's brought up Utena. Thank you. I'm so glad someone, finally, understands my soul. I'm going to have Chisa go up a thousand stairs in your honor.

KlK characters do not possess the sheer teenage lesbian... yeah, what Chisa just radiates. Why the gently caress would I mention it?