Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Duck and Cover posted:

Go to West Hartford and have the mantoo (ask for it on kabuli palow) from Afghanistan Shish Kabob instead. You could also try Rockin' Chicken which was alright which I found while looking for good rotisserie chicken, my vote is for the fried rice.

Pabs African Restaurant in East Hartford is also an extremely pro choice. If you’re passing through Waterbury, Lisboa is an extremely good Portuguese place but a touch pricey.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BAGS FLY AT NOON
Apr 6, 2011

A Soft Nylon Bag
Bear’s is pretty good for BBQ in Hartford.

I was gonna recommend McLadden’s in West Hartford if you’re into beer but apparently they’re closed now and reopening as a German restaurant. Kinda bummed about that because their Jameson BBQ wings were legit.

WIFEY WATCHDOG
Jun 25, 2012

Yeah, well I don't trust this guy. I think he regifted, he degifted, and now he's using an upstairs invite as a springboard to a Super Bowl sex romp.
Just extremely lolling at people talking about food from ct. its all poo poo except for the pizza and plaza chinese food

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Dr. Tim Whatley posted:

Just extremely lolling at people talking about food from ct. its all poo poo except for the pizza and plaza chinese food

Man, I poo poo on CT all the time and even I admit that there’s some extremely good poo poo there that you can’t find in NY outside of NYC.

And Frank Pepe’s pizza is good but overrated. Windham pizza is where it’s at. That red potato pizza is legit.

Duck and Cover
Apr 6, 2007

Dr. Tim Whatley posted:

Given the density of Connecticut that's a pretty stupid thing to think.

Waterbed Wendy
Jan 29, 2009
give me a clam pizza and an ice cream from uconn and im a happy little nutmeg

BAGS FLY AT NOON
Apr 6, 2011

A Soft Nylon Bag

Ugly In The Morning posted:

Man, I poo poo on CT all the time and even I admit that there’s some extremely good poo poo there that you can’t find in NY outside of NYC.

And Frank Pepe’s pizza is good but overrated. Windham pizza is where it’s at. That red potato pizza is legit.

You know Willington Pizza is good because, as another poster once noted as the benchmark for good pizza, they serve your Coke in the red plastic tumblers with the bumps.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

DarkSoulsTantrum posted:

You know Willington Pizza is good because, as another poster once noted as the benchmark for good pizza, they serve your Coke in the red plastic tumblers with the bumps.

Hahaha, that was me in the worst pizza thread and it’s absolutely true, those tumblers are always the sign of a good pizza place.

JagerNinja
Sep 13, 2011

Steely-eyed Missile of a Man

Dr. Tim Whatley posted:

Just extremely lolling at this guy who's clearly never had a hot dog with Blackie's relish

Waterbed Wendy
Jan 29, 2009

JagerNinja posted:

Just extremely lolling at this guy who's clearly never had a hot dog with Blackie's relish

Or a cappy dog! The meat is there, proud and free. It's beautiful to see.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug
CT food chat is making me want UConn dairy bar ice cream. I haven’t had that in like a decade.

Duck and Cover
Apr 6, 2007

You want to go to Grassroots in Granby for ice cream.

JagerNinja
Sep 13, 2011

Or Dairy Cream in Windsor Locks

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug
The dairy bar is more about nostalgia than quality for me, but I’ll totally check those out if I get the chance.

Captain Rufus
Sep 16, 2005

CAPTAIN WORD SALAD

OFF MY MEDS AGAIN PLEASE DON'T USE BIG WORDS

UNNECESSARY LINE BREAK

JagerNinja posted:

Or Dairy Cream in Windsor Locks

https://www.buttonwoodfarmicecream.com/ where I am its all about this place. Yesterday I had my last waffle cone of the season. They make their own cones and hot drat.

http://thedarkmanor.com/ not ice cream but also pretty sweet. I haven't gotten to go in a few years sadly.

free hubcaps
Oct 12, 2009

Buttonwood is v good and its cool when the sunflowers are in bloom. Salem Valley Farms in Salem is also extremely good. It's always packed despite being almost literally in the middle of nowhere (it's right at the end of Route 11, the infamous Road to Nowhere)

https://yankeeinstitute.org/2018/09/24/connecticuts-road-to-nowhere-a-history-of-route-11/

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug
Question- Is Willibrew actually good or did it just seem that way at 21 years old because it was the only drinking establishment near Storrs with non-sticky floors and actual glassware?

BAGS FLY AT NOON
Apr 6, 2011

A Soft Nylon Bag

Ugly In The Morning posted:

Question- Is Willibrew actually good or did it just seem that way at 21 years old because it was the only drinking establishment near Storrs with non-sticky floors and actual glassware?

It’s good, but I’ve never liked their house beers. Thankfully they have a good selection of guest taps and the food is mostly decent.

The place that has NOT aged well since my UConn days?

The Bidwell Tavern.

BAGS FLY AT NOON
Apr 6, 2011

A Soft Nylon Bag
Also, anyone passing through the Storrs area, check out Toast Four Corners. Absolutely banging breakfast joint. All their bagels, muffins, and breads are baked in house and delicious with some eggs and sausage.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

DarkSoulsTantrum posted:

The Bidwell Tavern.

Oh my god I went there again a few years ago and it was awful. The food was so limp and sad. It was like they took things out of the fryer and looked for the place they could leave them to make them as cold and moist as possible.

DarkSoulsTantrum posted:

Also, anyone passing through the Storrs area, check out Toast Four Corners. Absolutely banging breakfast joint. All their bagels, muffins, and breads are baked in house and delicious with some eggs and sausage.

Did that the morning after one of my friends got married at that church on campus and can confirm it’s absolutely banging. I hope it hangs on through the pandemic, it’s crazy how good it is. I dunno if I’d go during the semester though, it was pretty busy even in the summer so it must be packed when all the students are there.

BIG FLUFFY DOG
Feb 16, 2011

On the internet, nobody knows you're a dog.

Halfway through season 5 now. Holy poo poo dean is the loving worst

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

"Carbons? Purge? What are you talking about?!"

even in the first couple of episodes when rory first goes to chilton i like that it pretty strongly shows that she's not the perfect wunderkind everyone in her town thinks she is - she's smart and driven but so is nearly everyone else there, and her grades suffer for a while before she learns to do better.

JagerNinja
Sep 13, 2011

I just want to say that the conversation vacillating between Gilmore Girls and serious CT discussion is my favorite part of this thread.

BIG FLUFFY DOG
Feb 16, 2011

On the internet, nobody knows you're a dog.

JagerNinja posted:

I just want to say that the conversation vacillating between Gilmore Girls and serious CT discussion is my favorite part of this thread.

I did this as a joke but we should have more hybrid threads.

100YrsofAttitude
Apr 29, 2013

While GG could probably hold up a thread on its own I feel like CT would need the help to remain viable.

Just sent in my CT absentee ballot! Kinda hate how empty my votes feel at times but it’s nice to have done so.

500excf type r
Mar 7, 2013

I'm as annoying as the high-pitched whine of my motorcycle, desperately compensating for the lack of substance in my life.
Is the Uconn dairy bar open again? They were shut down for a long time because of covid. I usually get one of their ice cream cakes every year for my birthday.

Buttonwood is nice but I've never been there when there wasn't an insane line for the ice cream.

Kloter farms has delicious ice cream for wicked cheap, presumably to sweeten you up to buy a $40k shed.

Bears is great for bbq. I tried a place in New Hartford recently called SmokeKing that was small but very busy and quite good. Had a good-weird mix of asian and bbq on the menu.

I'm interested in the German place coming to west hartford. I've only been to their Big E beer tent but the student prince has been around forever in springfield and it's the same people.

Pepe's isn't the best pizza but it's still better than most. Randy's Wooster St pizza is probably the best CT chain pizza imo (I think they opened a shop up in some bum gently caress lakes region Maine town last year lol) but smaller single instance pizza places can make some phenomenal pies and are probably the "best" pizzas.

Often Abbreviated
Dec 19, 2017

1st Severia Tank Brigade
"Ghosts of Honcharivske"
I really enjoyed the four-part Netflix special, it felt like they grounded out a few aspects of the magical Stars Hollow world with a few admissions of failure - the little club of Stars Hollow millennial failchildren, Rory somehow managing to gently caress up being editor of the towns weekly newsletter, Luke's daughter turning out to be an anxiety-ridden mess etc. It was still charming, but placed itself much closer to admitting the reality of hellworld.

I don't get the Logan love at all though. And Logan's friends, jesus. They should all be pushed into a volcano.

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

Bae to me:

'Ask them about wineries near Hartford?' - she's actually in charge of event planning for the spouses of the sorors attending so this thread has Piqued Her Interest!

(Hopefully the thing actually happens; it's in October next year, so fingers crossed Covid is over by then or at least enough over Trump will let our British-resident asses into the country!)

rotinaj
Sep 5, 2008

Fun Shoe
Modern pizza in New Haven is the best new haven pizza place, miss me with Pepe's or Sally's

Carpenzano's in Guilford is the best one in CT but then they go back to Italy every year to see family so they know how to do it right

How do other folks feel about the great burnt crust vs slightly underdone New Haven style pizza debate?

edit:

feedmegin posted:

What's good in Hartford, Connecticut because my wife wants us to go there next year for some regional sorority conference of hers

how do you feel about insurance companies, because that's what hartford is

insurance companies and arenas for sports that aren't played in connecticut

rotinaj fucked around with this message at 12:21 on Oct 21, 2020

IBroughttheFunk
Sep 28, 2012

100YrsofAttitude posted:

While GG could probably hold up a thread on its own I feel like CT would need the help to remain viable.

Just sent in my CT absentee ballot! Kinda hate how empty my votes feel at times but it’s nice to have done so.

Congrats! Girlfriend and I submitted ours on Sunday. But also gently caress the electoral college for also making it feeling like it's not that big of a deal (amongst other things). Though also my vote feels a little competitive since I have moved from the Danbury area to between the Naugatuck River Valley and East Haven, which are chuddy red as gently caress.

rotinaj posted:

How do other folks feel about the great burnt crust vs slightly underdone New Haven style pizza debate?

I say that people can just enjoy whatever style of pizza that they want - there are lots of good places around here, ranging from your Pepe's/Sally's/Modern, down to your hole in the wall restaurants where it's just a wizened old guy and his wife churning out pies every day.

That being said, I'm putting in a shoutout for Zeneli's and their traditional Neapolitan-style.

Carly Gay Dead Son
Aug 27, 2007

Bonus.
The best Philly cheesesteak I ever ate was in Norwich, CT.

free hubcaps
Oct 12, 2009

feedmegin posted:

Bae to me:

'Ask them about wineries near Hartford?' - she's actually in charge of event planning for the spouses of the sorors attending so this thread has Piqued Her Interest!

(Hopefully the thing actually happens; it's in October next year, so fingers crossed Covid is over by then or at least enough over Trump will let our British-resident asses into the country!)

Hartford is...kind of a dreary and boring city, its not the first place I'd choose to have a reunion lol. The wadsworth athenauem is an excellent art museum if you're into that stuff. West Hartford is the 'hip' part of town and actually has some decent bars and nightlife, if you guys are younger and drinking is on the agenda this is probably the part of town you'll want to hang out in

re: wineries, I don't know of any in Hartford itself...if you guys are willing to drive a bit, New Hartford (lol) is a very scenic small town about 30 miles northwest of Hartford that has two wineries in it, Jerram and Connecticut Valley. It's also really pretty in October.

CT wine trail shows all the vineyards of note in the state, you can see the metro hartford area is the one part of the state with none lol. The good news is most of these places are going to be within about an hrs drive.

hope this was at least somewhat helpful

Deeters
Aug 21, 2007

feedmegin posted:

Bae to me:

I liked Brignole Vineyards in Granby, about 30 minutes from downtown Hartford. I think all of the wineries are going to be at least that far away. And ditto on West Hartford being the cool bars area. It's actually walkable compared to most of CT too.

For other poo poo to entertain spouses, do you like airplanes? http://www.neam.org/

rotinaj posted:

Modern pizza in New Haven is the best new haven pizza place, miss me with Pepe's or Sally's

Carpenzano's in Guilford is the best one in CT but then they go back to Italy every year to see family so they know how to do it right

I like Modern the most out of those. bar is supposed to be really good too, but I haven't tried it yet

Waterbed Wendy
Jan 29, 2009
we go to cassidy hill vineyard whenever we can

https://cassidyhillvineyard.com/

very rural setting and good wine. there's a nice dog too.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

500excf type r posted:

Is the Uconn dairy bar open again? They were shut down for a long time because of covid. I usually get one of their ice cream cakes every year for my birthday.

One of my friends worked on campus this summer in some lab and would get the dairy bar ice cream sometimes, so they must be.

rotinaj posted:

edit:

Burnt crust all the way. I wish I could get a proper burnt crust around here, instead of "oops, we hosed up" burnt crust.

BAGS FLY AT NOON
Apr 6, 2011

A Soft Nylon Bag

Waterbed Wendy posted:

we go to cassidy hill vineyard whenever we can

https://cassidyhillvineyard.com/

very rural setting and good wine. there's a nice dog too.

Oooh this isn’t far from me and I’ve never even heard of it before.

shovelbum
Oct 21, 2010

Fun Shoe
Gg is a flawed work bc of the gap between season 5 (6 sucked as bad as 7) and the reboot totally mutilating whatever it what it was supposed to be saying about Rory by erasing most of her 20s, but it's still good and Rory still sucks

Duck and Cover
Apr 6, 2007

500excf type r posted:

Buttonwood is nice but I've never been there when there wasn't an insane line for the ice cream.

Kloter farms has delicious ice cream for wicked cheap, presumably to sweeten you up to buy a $40k shed.

Bears is great for bbq. I tried a place in New Hartford recently called SmokeKing that was small but very busy and quite good. Had a good-weird mix of asian and bbq on the menu.

I'm interested in the German place coming to west hartford. I've only been to their Big E beer tent but the student prince has been around forever in springfield and it's the same people.

Pepe's isn't the best pizza but it's still better than most. Randy's Wooster St pizza is probably the best CT chain pizza imo (I think they opened a shop up in some bum gently caress lakes region Maine town last year lol) but smaller single instance pizza places can make some phenomenal pies and are probably the "best" pizzas.

Hopkins Inn is a nice German restaurant, has a lake view too. You can get their salad dressing in grocery stores.

feedmegin posted:

Bae to me:

https://www.hopkinsvineyard.com/ I can't speak to the quality of it but there's a vineyard too.

Duck and Cover fucked around with this message at 16:28 on Oct 21, 2020

Galewolf
Jan 9, 2007

The human gallbladder is indeed a puzzle!

Often Abbreviated posted:

I don't get the Logan love at all though. And Logan's friends, jesus. They should all be pushed into a volcano.

Personally, he is the epitome of what I want and possibly cannot have at life. He is a handsome guy with a 1%-er family and has a group of raging sekrit society bros but also self-aware enough to know that he is privileged and his head will be on top of a pike if the plebs ever decide to change things.

He could literally not give a gently caress about Rory but genuinely loves her (imo), beautiful and smart but come the gently caress on, a guy like Logan can find a different woman (equal or better) just by existing easily. He could've been a raging bro like the other idiots in that dumb secret society but kinda chooses not to (most of the time, that is) and truly puts so much in line to be with Rory.

Rory also negs him for being a privileged fuckboi while she's studying at Yale from zero interest start to pay five years later after graduating from American Hogwarts, which is also paid by her rich grandparents.

I mean, not being Dean puts him ahead of things but I like his character and no lie envied that kind of life when my life was miserable, no future 3rd world country hell.

Galewolf fucked around with this message at 16:46 on Oct 21, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BAGS FLY AT NOON
Apr 6, 2011

A Soft Nylon Bag

Duck and Cover posted:

Hopkins Inn is a nice German restaurant, has a lake view too. You can get their salad dressing in grocery stores.

https://www.hopkinsvineyard.com/ I can't speak to the quality of it but there's a vineyard too.

I’ve been to Hopkins and occasionally buy their wines. My girlfriend really likes the Duet white.

Personally, for CT wines I prefer Sunset Meadows Vineyards in Goshen. Their Twisted Red is really good and they do some barrel aged stuff if you’re into that. Just a really good variety of wine types that are mostly good, although their seasonal stuff leans heavy on dessert wines.