Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Telsa Cola
Aug 19, 2011

No... this is all wrong... this whole operation has just gone completely sidewaysface
Peoples Interplanetary Space Ship

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Telsa Cola
Aug 19, 2011

No... this is all wrong... this whole operation has just gone completely sidewaysface
In before a TNE jerry rigged sub burst from the ocean and takes to the skies.

Telsa Cola
Aug 19, 2011

Sanev.Khan posted:

We could wait for our next batch of geological survey ships (so that we don't have the two we sent come back, which might be suspicious), use FESTER to spot the transmission and redirect one of the new geological survey ship as appropriate.

By game mechanics, we could build orbital weapon platforms armed with nothing but a meson turret, a small sensor and a beam fire control, I think it could be small enough to be made by fighter factories. They'd be capable of shooting incoming missiles from off Earth. And I specifically say "meson" because it can shoot through atmosphere like it's not there, while other weapons lose damage the closer the atmosphere is to 1 atm, IIRC?

Somehow I don't think the other powers would let go of their only possible defence against us, when we're technically already capable of bombarding them from orbit by tossing rocks out our freighter.

Atmosphere won't be an issue for missile defense unless it is for fluff reasons. You could make a turreted gauss cannon and that would do just fine if not better besides the research expense and size. But yeah weapon platforms would be the way to do it.

Telsa Cola
Aug 19, 2011

I ride bikes all day posted:

Any TN ship in orbit with PD should be able to obliterate just about any sort of conventional ICBM launch. The flight time of any ICBM is measured in minutes, and for a TN ship the travel time to any point in near-Earth orbit is seconds.

Our new sensors are capable of detecting minerals well below the surface of the planet. While the cores of nuclear weapons are shielded, they were never designed to shield against this new generation of sensors. Is there any reason we can't map out the location of every nuclear weapon on the planet?

I imagine must geological/navy sensors are are made for bigger quantities in mind though I suppose we could research and deploy a specific sensor for this.

Telsa Cola
Aug 19, 2011

Veloxyll posted:

Our Shipwrights have finally completed the hull layout for a colonial transport vessel

code:
Tongarra class Passenger Cruiser      19,878 tons       143 Crew       682.1 BP       TCS 398    TH 375    EM 0
943 km/s      Armour 1-65       Shields 0-0       HTK 46      Sensors 0/0/0/0      DCR 1      PPV 0
MSP 421    Max Repair 100 MSP
Cryogenic Berths 40,000    Cargo Shuttle Multiplier 2    
Axbearer    Control Rating 1   BRG   
Intended Deployment Time: 3 months    

Commercial Nuclear Thermal Engine  EP62.5 (6)    Power 375.0    Fuel Use 10.06%    Signature 62.5    Explosion 5%
Fuel Capacity 200,000 Litres    Range 18 billion km (220 days at full power)

This design is classed as a Commercial Vessel for maintenance purposes
2 shuttles, 6 engines, 4 fuel tanks, 4 cryobays, and a maintenance storage bay with the tools to repair any damage to the cryomodules

It is not considered viable to make a passenger liner at this time. Even 1000 passengers requires a 10,000 ton spaceframe

Commericals don't need MSP or maintenance, so unless this is just to transport it its a waste of space and tonnage.

Telsa Cola
Aug 19, 2011

idhrendur posted:

ooc: How do scientists improve in this game? However it happens, someone needs to propose that process happening for me. That bonus is atrocious and I'd like to be useful.

Literally time. Its an event that can happen each tick.

Telsa Cola
Aug 19, 2011

Servetus posted:

According to conversations in the other thread boarding is in the game. We would have to build a fleet around very close engagements.

Very close and very fast engagements if you wanted to board as a way to resolve combat since your boarding ships want to be at least as fast as the enemy ship, preferably much faster.

Boarding tends to come into play after combat is mostly resolved and you can board crippled ships at your lesiure.

Also keep in mind that boarding combat is not instantaneous and the boarding party has to fight their way through the enemy crew for a bit. I am only like 80% sure on this but this means the enemy ships can and will continue firing. Which is where microwaves would be handy.

Telsa Cola fucked around with this message at 00:10 on Nov 16, 2020

Telsa Cola
Aug 19, 2011

I suppose at this tech level you could theoretically design two ships like you suggested but to be quite honest that would be a hilarious waste of research, minerals, and shipyard space and time given that boarding just isn't worth investing that much into. It's also likely going to get a poo poo ton of people killed.

In my experience most folks keep a few spare boarding ships around that sweep into combat at the end or near the end to board cripples. I don't think I have ever heard of someone going full in on boarding before.

Telsa Cola fucked around with this message at 06:41 on Nov 16, 2020

Telsa Cola
Aug 19, 2011

Quote is not edit, comrades.

Telsa Cola
Aug 19, 2011

When relevant I would like to snag a position as a Xenoarchaeologist, so I can bitch about sifters and people breaking unit lines...IN SPACE.

Telsa Cola
Aug 19, 2011

It's holiday season so I'd give em a little longer.

But yeah a dozen different politcal parties often devolves into a mess, and people get extremely heated. I have toyed with running a LP of Aurora with politcal parties and the best way I have thought of so far is having three or four generic parties (War, Peace, Science, Production) and let people align into those. Parties would hopefully ebb and flow somewhat naturally due to ingame events altering posters wants and needs (Unprovoked attack leading to people aligning more with war, a system full of 1.0 accessibility minerals leading to Production taking the lead etc etc).

Telsa Cola
Aug 19, 2011

Couldn't we just check the known alien samples we have for bio compatibility with our own biosphere and then go from there?

Telsa Cola
Aug 19, 2011

Asterite34 posted:

So far the only alien samples we have are Roswell Specimens E-H, which have a... distressing biological similarity to humans, at least in terms of anatomy. No hemoglobin, but that's not too unusual in the mundane terrestrial animal kingdom, lizards have green blood. Also the fact the Face facility seems to have an atmosphere and temp range amenable to humans might mean it's there for the abductee's benefit, OR it means the "Martians" naturally prefer a similar environment to us and it just happens to be tolerable to the human squatters as well. Unless their underlying biochemistry is utterly novel and their similarities to earth life are wholy superficial, cross-species pathogen transfer seems like a possibility. The Proton being as heavily decontaminated and quarantined as is being suggested seems excessive, but we must admit a reverse War of the Worlds scenario is possible. Hence keeping the abductees on Mars until they get a thorough examination.

Only very, very few species of lizards have green blood and it's a byproduct of their hemoglobin breakdown, the lizards just concentrate the resulting chemical in their bodies and are resisitant to the toxic effects. A better example would be horseshoe crabs, octopi, etc which uses hemocyanin and is thus blue.

I'm willing to bet that a study has been done in universe about biological compatiblity because appearances don't really mean a whole lot. I urge the relevant authorities to make this information accesible for member review.

The living conditions of the Mars survivors can be easily explained by the fact that it appears to be a human storage facility so they are set for human tolerances in the event of them waking up, accidents, etc.

Unless the the biological similarity is as functionally close to us as we are to other mammals and avians, the probability of catching a xenodisease is hilariously small. You would have better chances of catching a disease from a thermal vent worm*.

*Parasites non withstanding.

Telsa Cola fucked around with this message at 21:53 on Dec 21, 2020

Telsa Cola
Aug 19, 2011

sebmojo posted:

shudders Peter Wattsly

Blindsight is a good example because all appearances were deceiving.

Telsa Cola fucked around with this message at 22:10 on Dec 21, 2020

Telsa Cola
Aug 19, 2011

Antilles posted:

Well, better safe than sorry I say, and I find it unlikely we'll suddenly urgently need Proton-B while it's undergoing quarantine. Hell, I'd say it's more likely they'll trigger some kind of defense system by landing near to or walking into the alien ruins, but that possibility won't stop us from making the attempt if the abductees end up running out of food before we can get them out of there.

I mean we should absolutely practice proper quarantine protocol for the health of both sides with screening and whatever. The chance of getting a weird alien disease is just pretty drat low unless its deliberately introduced/engineered.

That being said assuming the people gathering happened throughout time there is the high chance that individuals will have diseases we don't have resistance for and vice versa

Watts is okay/good, I think I personally somewhat soured to him because at this point he's somewhat overrated/exposed.

Telsa Cola fucked around with this message at 02:25 on Dec 22, 2020

Telsa Cola
Aug 19, 2011

Hope you feel better soon and don't worry about taking a break if you need it. Also thank you very much for the biology update.

Telsa Cola
Aug 19, 2011

ThatBasqueGuy posted:

Props to the absolute madlads that manged to reverse engineer a space suit with a knowledge base stopping around the turn of the century, class acts all around

Submariners probably had it pretty easyish since you have to worry about much of the same poo poo but also don't need to worry about the weight of the water crushing you or whatever.

Telsa Cola
Aug 19, 2011

NewMars posted:

Someone's pointed out: they sent a war criminal of an emperor to negotiate with us. How's about putting the imperial family on trial for all those gas attack warrants they signed?

Obviously they will refuse. But you have to have some things that will never be agreed to as leverage.

Also seconding this.

Generally you are going to want to either crush Japan now or take a deal and not needlessly antagonize them, while still applying pressure. Japan isn't an existental threat but it also doesnt have to be to start forcing you to make hard, terrible decisions because you hosed with them a couple times and an opportunity for them to put the screws on you popped up.

Telsa Cola
Aug 19, 2011

From a background standpoint we should absolutely be more freaked out about the whole nuke thing btw, given the severe cultural trauma everyone is bound to have.

Anything that removes nukes off the table is a big deal.

Telsa Cola
Aug 19, 2011

Again ultimately, I really only see two ways this plays out.

Either we negotiate with them in good faith and try to sway them over time to our thinking, or we try to gently caress them over and draw them into conflict.

PurpleXVI posted:

I mean, if they consider it "humiliating capitulation" to accept basic human rights(food, shelter, education, freedom of association, religion, organization, etc.) for all citizens and to de-colonize minority populations, then are they really a government we can strike a good faith deal with?

Proposals/demands in this thread have ranged from slight-medium restructuring and decolonization to what is essentially the complete transformation of their society. While the latter may be the end goal its a lovely demand to start with.

Telsa Cola
Aug 19, 2011

punched my v-card at camp posted:

Speaking for myself, the hawkish wing doesn't take the threat of nuclear war lightly. Nor do we gleefully anticipate confrontation. But even if we took Japan's initial proposal without a single concession or counteroffer, we'd only be buying time. As others have pointed out, even if we gift them some ships, our head start into the stars and the sheer demographic/geographic imbalance between our multi-continental bloc and a single nation means it is only a matter of time before we're once again in a position of potential hegemony and they'll start making threats again. They want to be our equals, but to reiterate--if they put their entire population and economy into research labs, they couldn't support our current level of R&D investments.

If we want to take this deal, we should go into with open eyes and have a contingency for the next crisis--and a plan or a SCYTHE to eventually resolve our fundamental disagreements.

You do realize that you just argued that nothing will fundementally change, yes? I'm having a hard time seeing that as a down side. The only way they can resolve that power imbalance is either them getting a suprise boost from something or becoming more tied to us.

That being said, I don't think anyone is opposed to a "Japan tries to screw with us" contingency plan.

Telsa Cola fucked around with this message at 21:14 on Feb 17, 2021

Telsa Cola
Aug 19, 2011

punched my v-card at camp posted:

True--your reaction may depend on how much you're willing to tolerate an oppositional Japan in general.

One area our delegation is waffling about though is that of colonization. Is there really actually a substantial risk of Japan, or any other power, creating some sort of neo-colonial empire of the stars? Especially if we can stand develop a shared convention on off-world migration to ban indentured servitude and other exploitative labor practices.

We can probably whip something up that states that off world population centers are obligated to reassess their status once they hit a certain pop level at which case they can modify their agreements or whatever to whoever helped found them.

Founding states need to do their absolute best to ensure that populations reach this said level, no waffling or delaying stuff so the they perpetually hover under the limit. (Maybe put in a clause that exceptions can be made on a case to case basis after heavy review for say, research outposts on otherwise uninhabitable/uninteresting planets.)

Shogeton posted:

Actually, that raises another concern. If Japan goes into space, or even co-colonizes with us, that is a route for Gladio to hit us in vulnerable places. Even if we assume the Imperial government would refuse to work together with them, we must assume that plenty of people working in their regime would have sympathies there, and assist them. No, inviting imperialists into space carries far too many risks.

Not really, if state owned companies/whatever take off and we get frequent space traffic the cat is out of the bag in regards to letting teams hop onto frieghters or the like.

If that is a legitimate fear we are better off grounding all non cleared/unauthorized/searched space traffic.

Telsa Cola fucked around with this message at 21:49 on Feb 17, 2021

Telsa Cola
Aug 19, 2011

Really in all honesty the question being brought up and that will continue to be brought up is can we let other people into space.

Telsa Cola
Aug 19, 2011

Also Ooc, its like, just more interesting to have some human factions floating around. Though it does/can make things harder for the person running it.

Telsa Cola
Aug 19, 2011

Antilles posted:

We have a policy that does most of this already, it could be expanded and Japan made to adapt it as part of the deal.

Yes sorry, I knew we had some sort of policy about it but this was the directed as something that Japan should be made to adopt if we wanted to nip that issue in the bud.

Telsa Cola
Aug 19, 2011

Zurai posted:

I think the question is more "can we prevent other people from reaching space without being fascist about it," and the answer is "no". Japan is already going to be a spacefaring entity. That's a done deal. They have a contract with Hawaii for a ship. The only way to stop that is to destroy (physically or economically) Japan or Hawaii or both.

Being fascist was an unacceptable option and as thus was not considered a possibility. :colbert:

Telsa Cola
Aug 19, 2011

Crazycryodude posted:

The Japanese are considering buying a ship from the Hawaiians, depending on how these negotiations go. If we really wanted to be dicks about it, we would have no trouble forcing the Hawaiians not to take any contracts with the Japanese. Pay Hawaii an obscene price they can't refuse (and Japan can't afford to beat) to do whatever bullshit makework for us and keep their slips occupied or hell just say "you've got to choose between Japan (no space presence and an economy a tenth the size of ours) or us (your main and only customer who could ruin your business in a microsecond)." Ideally we can avoid that because it would be a massive dick move, but we're holding most of the cards here.

This is one of those "This is going to piss them off and make them gently caress with us down the line" proposals that I was talking about. But yeah you mention that is the move we take if we want to be a dick.

Yes we hold all the cards, but there will almost certainly be a point down the line where Japan will shiv us in the side because we did this.

Telsa Cola
Aug 19, 2011

Before any says "Who cares what they want, the HAVE to since we control a poo poo ton of things" thats not a really great position to be in if your ideal plan is to peacefully integrate people.

Telsa Cola
Aug 19, 2011

...has anyone asked them what they would like?

Telsa Cola
Aug 19, 2011

Rubix Squid posted:

I doubt Japan would honestly let them. OOC it wasn't until 1997 that Japan recognized them as an ethnic minority. 2008 that the Japanese government formally recognized them as an indigenous group. I'm not as familiar with the situation of the Ryukuans.

I do agree with you that getting a direct and sincere answer is going to be difficult, and furthermore that that is probably a good indicator of how things are for them, but we should at least make an effort to find out before we continue these kind of discussions.

And maybe it's the same, could be different due to drastically different geopolitical and internal conditions.

Telsa Cola
Aug 19, 2011

OOC, as a game mechanic ship garrisons or garrison troops are required for population centers over a certain size unless Mister Bates does some Space Magic to deal with this.

Protection requirments scale with population size. Ships provide a protection point value (PPV) that is system wide. This value is based on hull spaced devoted to weapons, hanger bays and stuff like that (unless that has changed)

Earth/homeworld I think generally ignores the requirements, but anything out of system is going to need something.

Failure to meet protection requirments leads to the political reliability (I think that is what is called) status of the population to drop, which impacts the planets production. This can reach 0% and all production will stop because of this.

This is all to say that unless it's over ridden through Space Magic, all outsolar planets will need either frequent patrols, a troop garrison, or a resident garrison fleet/station.

Telsa Cola fucked around with this message at 23:57 on Feb 18, 2021

Telsa Cola
Aug 19, 2011

Asterite34 posted:

OOC what actually is the mechanical downside of multiple empires having colonies on the same body? Do we just risk them sucking up the TNEs faster than we can? Or can they actually launch a ground assault directly from their base to ours?

Both. Colonies draw from the same mineral pool when on the same body and military units at the same body can attack one another (Im pretty sure, same body colonies get very funky, but thats mostly for same faction colonies).

You really really need to keep track of STO (surface to orbit) weaponry build up because its absolutely trivial for one person to completely deny a fleet orbit with STO units, which could last months until they get killed in combat. Since STOs sit in the rear you either have to get lucky with breakthroughs, fight your way through their entire army, or get lucky with mass artillery strikes. I believe ships can bombard STOs individually but STOs are designed to deal with that slugging match and win.

Gauss STO and laser STO also makes orbital bombardment by missiles extremely easy to deal with if you get enough set up.

Basically STOs are the new nukes. If someone is building it up you are going to have a problem.

Telsa Cola fucked around with this message at 00:01 on Feb 19, 2021

Telsa Cola
Aug 19, 2011

Also given that we can somehow guesstimate how much minerals a body has during scans we could use *shudder* math to get a rough estimate on how much TNEs other earth factions are mining based on how much disappears from our scans of earth on a monthly/yearly basis which is not a result of us directly mining it.

That may be too metagamey though.

Telsa Cola
Aug 19, 2011

BwenGun posted:

Yeah, this is one of my big concerns. Say we have a planet designated as a naval base, with fuel, missiles, maintenance facilities etc. vital for the easy operation of a fleet. But another nation sets up a colony on the same planet and prior to war manages to get a large military force with significant surface to orbit weapon platforms. At that point you have no choice to commit to a large ground troop offensive to knock them out. During which time the fleet is effectively screwed for resupply.

Also your troops are hosed for resupply as well, you are going to lose whatever troop ships you send in for resupply unless you have a sacrificial screen, though they might be able to drop their cargo first.

Telsa Cola
Aug 19, 2011

Asterite34 posted:

Okay, so it turns out it is kind of a nightmare to have a hostile colony share a planet with you, as they can turn the place into an unassailable fortress with ease and that kinda fucks you if you need access to it.

...but on the other hand, an anti-capitalist worker's uprising even modestly armed with STO weapons can tie up an entire planet and would require an enormous costly drawn-out unpopular-back-home investment to dislodge. Sounds like a nightmare to, say, a colonialist empire trying to force compliance.

:sickos:

You'd need a majority of the population to go with it otherwise its somewhat of a hostage situation but otherwise yeah.

Telsa Cola
Aug 19, 2011

BwenGun posted:

Its one of the things I'd most like tweaked with Aurora atm. STO weapons are really cool, and thematically make sense but because the game doesn't track the horizon on planets or deal with combat in a positional way they're far too powerful and easy to abuse. Even adding a minimum number of STOs needed for low orbit control (based on the size of the body) would help balance it out a fair amount. As that way you could do limited orbital bombardment to reduce a garrisons STO numbers enough to attempt ground force landings and resupply.

That would be up to Mr Bates as whilst smuggling AKs to our oppressed brethren is fairly easy, motorised high energy laser platforms are a bit harder to hide in amongst a shipment of nutrient bars!

Yeah Im glad they are in but they need tweaking because its absurdly easy to make any attack impossible.

Yeah, these are basically modified starship size and grade weaponry with attached power systems and active sensory systems. It's gonna be hard smuggling a significant amount of these.

Telsa Cola fucked around with this message at 01:27 on Feb 19, 2021

Telsa Cola
Aug 19, 2011

Doing something dumb is a grand Aurora lp tradition and I will not see it being sullied in this manner.

Telsa Cola
Aug 19, 2011

VideoWitch posted:

I'm opposed to the idea of using Comintern troops to suppress communist militants, but if it's at all possible for us to get them to stand down or agree to a cease fire diplomatically then we should absolutely go for it.

The issue is that there are dozens of competing communist parties here so there is a very real chance that making a deal with one of them is going to piss off another one.

I am 100% on board with making it a requirment that they fix the gently caress out of the weird feudal system they have going on though, at the very least.

Telsa Cola
Aug 19, 2011

The issue is that we don't actually know what the demands of the insurgent group are. If they are essentially "we want control of the goverment" we are going to have issues.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Telsa Cola
Aug 19, 2011

Mister Bates posted:

There are a couple regionalist separatist groups fighting alongside them but the Naxalites are generally Maoists or Maoist-adjacent groups who are waging a protracted people's war with the end goal being the establishment of a unified Indian socialist state. 'We want control of the government' is exactly the demand.

Their relationship with the parliamentary communist parties varies from open hostility to fairly friendly depending on which parliamentary party and which Naxalite faction you're talking about.

They have been fighting since before the GRW, and received aid from Comintern-aligned powers (although the Comintern has not officially intervened in India they have in fact continued to receive some quiet aid from individual member states).

Thank you for the info dump!