Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Grizzwold
Jan 27, 2012

Posters off the pork bow!
The indigenous inhabitants of the Americas have long suffered under colonialist oppression, and under no circumstances should we legitimize further aggression against them. Tying ourselves too closely to the PRC or USSR may prevent us from truly realizing the dream of a space program for all of Earth's peoples, and therefore Ascension Island seems the best option for our base of operations.

I further suggest that our research should for now be prioritized as
Power and Propulsion
Construction/Production
Logistics
though at present I am unsure how labs and researchers should be best distributed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grizzwold
Jan 27, 2012

Boksi posted:

Research: G-03
Industry: F-06
F-07: Abstain
DP-05: Yes

I must ask, however, what will be the political status of the moon colony? And of space itself, for that matter? Can a single polity stretch between multiple planets? With our new technology we can travel to the moon in less time than it takes to travel across the Soviet Union by airplane, so distance isn't such an issue anymore.

It is my hope that such extraterrestrial colonies would be full members of the Comintern rather than controlled by faraway bureaucrats. We must be on guard against the potential to fall into the old habits of imperialism.

Grizzwold
Jan 27, 2012

I'm not aware of any recent advances that would permit actual military operations on the lunar surface beyond search and rescue, and the presence of firearms in a pressurized habitat of the kind currently in use seems like a disaster waiting to happen. If we are deadset on sending peacekeepers in any capacity to the moon, we will need to adjust our research priorities accordingly (and don't dress them up as stormtroopers for gently caress's sake). Naturally any fruits of this research should also be applied to improving conditions for our comrades in Lunagrad.

edit; Comrade Mister Bates, could you link mechanics posts in the OP so we don't have to go hunting through the thread for them? Also how long would it take to build additional research facilities for us to use?

Grizzwold fucked around with this message at 00:35 on Oct 25, 2020

Grizzwold
Jan 27, 2012

Space: the final frontier. These are the voyages of the starship Karzelek. Its three year mission: to explore strange new worlds, to seek out new life and new civilizations, to boldly go where no man has gone before.

(Star Trek the original series came out in ‘66, so I assume we have that if we got Star Wars :v:)

Grizzwold
Jan 27, 2012

I don't know if it's come up in the thread before, but just how much of our expeditions' results are being made public, if anything? Mostly w/rt the roswell craft and mars.

Grizzwold
Jan 27, 2012

I'm more worried about telling them everyone they know is probably dead either of old age or the collapse of the US, personally. I don't know how much they'd know about WW1 but "there were another couple fuckoff huge wars" seems at least simpler to explain to people from a military background.

Grizzwold
Jan 27, 2012

HiHo ChiRho posted:

Well they were caught by aliens while operating a sub in 1918, so I think they got a good idea of what was happening in WW1. Other than that, agreed they are going to take the "asleep for almost 65 years" pretty hard.

Just not as hard if we have like Vikings and Crusaders packed in tubes here too.

Yeah, my point was that if they're familiar with how hosed up industrialized warfare was already then "that but worse" should at least be conceivable. But they were also in the navy, which is a pretty different experience from trench warfare. I honestly don't know what people at the time knew about how bad it was at the front lines.

We should probably plan to have some linguists go up there in case any of the older abductees are only capable of speaking, like, classical Latin or something.

Grizzwold
Jan 27, 2012

atelier morgan posted:

gently caress me is that nose art and kill tallies

This, combined with the vast majority of the abductees being apparently military personnel, gives me the unsettling suspicion that the aliens at this facility were studying our militaries with the goal of imitating them for some reason.

Hopefully I’m just being paranoid.

:tinfoil:

Grizzwold
Jan 27, 2012

Asterite34 posted:

I mean, I suppose technically the Karzelek class can already manage that, it has a range of something ridiculous like 130 billion km. It'll just take about 7 months of travel time at max thrust, both ways, and all it can do is scan for TNEs. Which I guess COULD find structures, but we won't know if they're active or not.

I think the Karezelek has enough supplies on board for that, and actually designing and building a new survey class might take even longer. I’m not sure since I’ve never played Aurora.

Grizzwold
Jan 27, 2012

NewMars posted:

That reminds me, for the next vote, I gotta put up a measure to get my flag adopted. That's the one below for reference (the blue circle is earth, so comintern nations can strip out the star and hammer and sickle to put in their own iconography).

Edit: replaced with better colours.

I personally prefer the old colors but it's still a very good flag.

Grizzwold
Jan 27, 2012

America
Asia
Africa
Europe

Grizzwold
Jan 27, 2012

samcarsten posted:

Do we have a WHO or FDA equivalent yet? Might be worth legislating.

We passed the legislation for one a while back, no idea what the status of the actual organization is.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grizzwold
Jan 27, 2012

While Miyazaki may not ever get to make it in this universe, I still like the idea of a Japanese aerosat called Laputa.