Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Danzel Glovington
Mar 16, 2006

I'm too old to bury my son!

When I heard the show was coming back I didn't even think about the thread being the best thing about the show. I'm so glad there's already another one.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HppyCmpr
May 8, 2011

esperterra posted:

plenty of time for a goon dexter rewatch

Maybe Jerusalem will grace us with a re-watch thread where they break down each episode in great detail. :allears:

Not a serious suggestion though as they're currently doing the Mad Men one; which is top notch. :golfclap:

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

oh my god I made it to S3. Chicky Hines.

Quotey
Aug 16, 2006

We went out for lunch and then we stopped for some bubble tea.
bring doakes back, but it's the exact same as his return in the books

they might have been on level with the last few show seasons to be honest

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

Quotey posted:

bring doakes back, but it's the exact same as his return in the books

they might have been on level with the last few show seasons to be honest

Oh, the books are absolutely not some top-shelf, better-than-the-show fare. They are equally bad.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

Irony Be My Shield posted:

I mean the general public still thinks Doakes was the Bay Harbour Butcher. That seems pretty "wrong" to me.

Dexter is alive. I can't think of any reason for them to have made a finale where he survives, like, ideally he would be serial-killed by someone, if not, drowned in a body of water, if not, otherwise will do -- but he should never ever survive the finale, I don't get that all. He's a piece of poo poo, he should die, it would be satisfying to see him die, but they gave him fairytale ending??? what?

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

The showrunner who did the last handful of seasons deadass thought Dexter was a superhero

JaddaCaddra
Oct 3, 2013
When I first heard Dexter was coming back, I didn't even plan on watching it. I used to love it, and honestly I could say it was one of my favorite shows. It was never a great show by any means, but it had a pretty niche premise that kept me coming back even for the poorer seasons. And then the final season happened. It was so bad that it retroactively ruined everything good about the rest of the series.

Then I remembered all the hilarity that came from the old thread and here I am. Hatewatching the final season on here is honestly the only thing that made it bearable, because otherwise it was that bad combination of stupid and boring. SOA was another "quickly lost all its integrity" show I hatewatched on here, but at least its stupidity was mostly entertaining.

Gonna call it now, within the first three episodes everything will be reset mostly back to the status quo. Dexter will end up back in Miami and explain away his disappearance by saying he got caught in the Mother Hurricane, knocked out by a piece of flying debris, and then woke up wherever with no memory of how he got there, until a branch fell from a might oak and knocked the memories of his old life back into him. Actually, that will be what really happens, which will explain why we didn't get any narration in the last scene, since the head injury made him forget how to inner monologue.

Danzel Glovington
Mar 16, 2006

I'm too old to bury my son!

JaddaCaddra posted:

And then the final season happened. It was so bad that it retroactively ruined everything good about the rest of the series.

This is exactly how I describe my experience with Dexter to everyone.

croup coughfield
Apr 8, 2020
Probation
Can't post for 101 days!
Everything Scott Buck touches turns to poo poo and that's why I love him and follow all his work.

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

damn i'm really in this bitch

dexter was always campy fun in the way that, say, nip/tuck was

the farther you move from camp into melodrama, the worse the show ends up

Argue
Sep 29, 2005

I represent the Philippines
Remember when in the final season Dexter found out the bad guy installed some kind of spyware on a computer and he was like "but if he's watching me... it can go both ways. All I have to do is reverse the connection and... !"

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

JaddaCaddra posted:

When I first heard Dexter was coming back, I didn't even plan on watching it. I used to love it, and honestly I could say it was one of my favorite shows. It was never a great show by any means, but it had a pretty niche premise that kept me coming back even for the poorer seasons. And then the final season happened. It was so bad that it retroactively ruined everything good about the rest of the series.

Then I remembered all the hilarity that came from the old thread and here I am. Hatewatching the final season on here is honestly the only thing that made it bearable, because otherwise it was that bad combination of stupid and boring. SOA was another "quickly lost all its integrity" show I hatewatched on here, but at least its stupidity was mostly entertaining.

Gonna call it now, within the first three episodes everything will be reset mostly back to the status quo. Dexter will end up back in Miami and explain away his disappearance by saying he got caught in the Mother Hurricane, knocked out by a piece of flying debris, and then woke up wherever with no memory of how he got there, until a branch fell from a might oak and knocked the memories of his old life back into him. Actually, that will be what really happens, which will explain why we didn't get any narration in the last scene, since the head injury made him forget how to inner monologue.

I was halfway through your post, and thinking 'yeah, I remember you from the SoA threads', I think, and then bam, you go and mention that show, which I actively hate. Threads were great, show was awful (after season 2).

Anyway, welcome back!

Norwegian Rudo
May 9, 2013

Khanstant posted:

Dexter is alive. I can't think of any reason for them to have made a finale where he survives, like, ideally he would be serial-killed by someone, if not, drowned in a body of water, if not, otherwise will do -- but he should never ever survive the finale, I don't get that all. He's a piece of poo poo, he should die, it would be satisfying to see him die, but they gave him fairytale ending??? what?

IIRC Showtime specifically wouldn't allow Dexter to die in the finale so they could bring him back later.

Hefty Leftist
Jun 26, 2011

"You know how vodka or whiskey are distilled multiple times to taste good? It's the same with shit. After being digested for the third time shit starts to taste reeeeeeaaaally yummy."

Der Shovel posted:

Oh my god at the end of the first season when Dexter discovers that his mother was murdered on the 3rd of October, they have him write it down several times, circle it on paper, underline it, write it out as 10/3, 103 and then narrate it. Who the gently caress needed literally 50 levels of exposition to understand that?

was any season of Dexter ever actually good? even S4 is quite hokey

FishBowlRobot
Mar 21, 2006

He didn’t die but I wouldn’t exactly call it a “fairytale ending”. I finally finished the last couple of seasons a few months ago and found it pretty depressing, even if the quality had declined.

JaddaCaddra
Oct 3, 2013

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

I was halfway through your post, and thinking 'yeah, I remember you from the SoA threads', I think, and then bam, you go and mention that show, which I actively hate. Threads were great, show was awful (after season 2).

Anyway, welcome back!

Thanks! I wondered if I'd be seeing you around for this, and I'm glad to see you'll be along for the hatewatch too :) Still haven't got around to a lot of the shows you guys recommended at the end of the SOA thread unfortunately, kinda fell off of TV show watching for a bit, but I got back to it recently and hopefully I'll be able to knock a few of them off the list, especially The Leftovers. Speaking of SOA, did a Mayans thread ever get made? I watched the first episode awhile back and it seemed just as bad as some of the later episodes. Tons of gratuitous violence and racism. I only wish we had kept that thread alive long enough to see Sutter get fired.

On topic, I hope that this takes place entirely independent of Miami Metro. That way I can keep my stupid theory going that Hurricane Harry's Lover killed everyone but Angel. Anyone remember the theory that this whole time Dexter has been a Lumberjack and the show was all a story he's writing or something along those lines? It would be amazing if they just ran with that, and after Dexter's first kill he gets arrested and finally dies in the finale.

Either way I'm hoping for Dexter to die, and I'm hopeful about it since Philips is at the head again. Maybe Showtime will let him do the ending he wanted to do. I don't want this to go from limited series to full series, because my god, imagine how bad it would be if we were on season 15 right now.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

JaddaCaddra posted:

I only wish we had kept that thread alive long enough to see Sutter get fired.

Whoa what's this now?

Also, watch The Shield, if you haven't.

JaddaCaddra
Oct 3, 2013

Whoa what's this now?

Also, watch The Shield, if you haven't.

I have, waaay back in early 2015. The Shield is one of my top five favorite shows of all time :) Still haven't done a rewatch unfortunately.

Yeah man, Sutter got fired from the Mayans MC and from FX because there were so many complaints filed about the way he was acting on the set. He's not gonna have anything at all to do with season three and on (if it gets renewed past that), and I think I also read that means his idea about a prequel and sequel show for SOA has been nixed. As soon as I heard about it I hopped on here, but I couldn't find any Mayans MC thread, so we missed out on all the celebrating that could have been :( Haven't watched Mayans yet, aside from one episode, but I bet the quality of that show will improve without him there, if only slightly. Probably a lot less rape, double crossing and maybe less swearing. You wouldn't believe how nuts he went with finally being able to drop F-bombs. Actually, yeah, anyone who has heard or read an interview with him would.

zer0spunk
Nov 6, 2000

devil never even lived

Khanstant posted:

All the press at the time made it out to be showtime not wanting to kill a popular character and close the door on future stuff. So here we are.

Meanwhile all our dumbasses hate watching expected them to wrap up the serial killer show with the serial killer getting caught go figure

I don't think I can handle another season of this schlock when there's a million other well written dramas now competing for attention across 14 streaming networks. This also goes for the weeds revival in production

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

I made this and it ended up here back here years ago.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-Gvx8hR6Yzo

DarkCrawler
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin
"Wait, WHAT?" - me reading the thread title

Who...who asked for this?

massive spider
Dec 6, 2006

JaddaCaddra posted:

I hadn't considered this because I was wondering if they were going to go with a lumberjack-serial killer thing but yeah, the inciting incident of the new series will 100% be a return to Miami. There will be a lot of "I thought you were dead", a tortured internal monologue about Dexter being a ghost haunting his old life etc etc.

e; So something will have to have happened to send Dexter back to Miami - so I'm guessing it's going to be something about Harrison being there since the whole thing about him abandoning his son was one of the criticisms of the finale so up there in priority to be 'fixed'. Also Dexter as a character has a limited amount of motivational hooks so the struggle over caring for his family thing is the main one.

e; e; So while Harrisons age has always been fuzzy he was shown to be soccer team age around the end of the season so 8-10 years old ish. Fuzz it a little with the 8 year time gap and Harrison is now a teenager right around the time he could potentially start serial killing and also be angry at his absent dad. This brings the Harry/Dexter/Harrison thing full circle. It's like poetry. It rhymes.

I'm calling this now because I'm practically certain of it: This is the arc of the new season.

massive spider fucked around with this message at 18:22 on Oct 31, 2020

GABA ghoul
Oct 29, 2011

DarkCrawler posted:

"Wait, WHAT?" - me reading the thread title

Who...who asked for this?

Nobody, but there is some money to be made on brand recognition and people watching it ironically. The return on the production isn't going to be very high, but it's safe and reliable.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

So, what if, instead of having homicidal tendencies due to witnessing a murder at a young age, Harrison is mentally scarred for life from the treadmill?

What kind of character would he end up as?

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

I hope Harrison will be both the reason Dexter returns to Miami and the person who snitches on him to get him caught finally

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

esperterra posted:

I hope Harrison will be both the reason Dexter returns to Miami and the person who snitches on him to get him caught finally

And then the person he has to kiiiiiiiiiiill :black101:

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

And then the person he has to kiiiiiiiiiiill :black101:

Dexter putting up pictures of the treadmill to goad Harrison before stabbing him

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

So, what if, instead of having homicidal tendencies due to witnessing a murder at a young age, Harrison is mentally scarred for life from the treadmill?

What kind of character would he end up as?

Instead of working at a police department Harrison works as a gym club, going after the fatties that slip through the treadmills memberships.

Baudolino
Apr 1, 2010

THUNDERDOME LOSER
If it ends with Harrison killing Dexter would y`all be up for a Harrison spin-off series set in the Miami area?
How could it possibly be worse then the last season of Dexter? I for one want to find out.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

JaddaCaddra posted:

Yeah man, Sutter got fired from the Mayans MC and from FX because there were so many complaints filed about the way he was acting on the set. He's not gonna have anything at all to do with season three and on (if it gets renewed past that), and I think I also read that means his idea about a prequel and sequel show for SOA has been nixed. As soon as I heard about it I hopped on here, but I couldn't find any Mayans MC thread, so we missed out on all the celebrating that could have been :( Haven't watched Mayans yet, aside from one episode, but I bet the quality of that show will improve without him there, if only slightly. Probably a lot less rape, double crossing and maybe less swearing. You wouldn't believe how nuts he went with finally being able to drop F-bombs. Actually, yeah, anyone who has heard or read an interview with him would.

Having watched SOA and enjoying it initially (although I feel like that was mostly season two with Henry Rollins and Adam Arkin as the villains) the news pleases me because that show just kept getting more and more dire.

Wow. Fired for being an "abrasive dick." That scans.

Good Lord Fisher!
Jul 14, 2006

Groovy!

Oh my god I almost forgot Dexter being back means this thread is too. I've missed you all so much ... the Dexter thread was always more than worth having to watch Dexter. Finally something good happens this year

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

damn i'm really in this bitch

the big problem with dexter is that, thematically, it’s a story about a troubled man who keeps his own inner demons at bay by murdering people who have done bad things, but its own morality and tone doesn’t really hold him accountable.

a good writer and writing staff would explore the repercussions that being a murderer and a hypocrite has on dexter’s life and the consequences he faces as a result of being a serial killer, even a “good” one. where it fails is that the writing staff sees dexter as a hero and a good guy. i think one of the reasons that comparing breaking bad to dexter works so well (besides the fact that they aired in the same timeslot contemporaneously) is that breaking bad knows that it’s protagonist is a bad guy doing bad things and other characters treat him like he is, and the show frames him as a villain. dexter on the other hand revels in its pulpy adulation of dexter; usually, if he fucks up and breaks his code or his lifestyle gets disrupted, we get an episode or two dealing with the fallout and then the series shifts back to normal. back to the status quo it is.

there is a deep and profound lack of curiosity in dexter’s character, which i think works in the first few seasons as exploring dexter’s psychopathy, but ultimately peters out into a lack of depth. dexter is unmoored to the world around him, and he has no deeper obligations to the people around him, who suffer and/or are killed either directly or indirectly through his actions. he is never made to feel consequences for this in the long teem. dexter is just as big a monster as anyone who ends up on his table, but the series lets him off with just some minor inconveniences to his lifestyle. it still treats him as a hero and the suffering people around him as inconvenient rather than as victims.

it’s bad folks

As Nero Danced
Sep 3, 2009

Alright, let's do this

Baudolino posted:

If it ends with Harrison killing Dexter would y`all be up for a Harrison spin-off series set in the Miami area?
How could it possibly be worse then the last season of Dexter? I for one want to find out.

Dexter's going to become ghost dad and repeat everything Harrison sees or says as if it's helpful advice.

Human Tornada
Mar 4, 2005

I been wantin to see a honkey dance.
They started the show off fairly disciplined, letting you know that Dexter is not a vigilante and he doesn't kill bad people because of some moral compass. He kills to get his rocks off and he chooses bad people because that's the easiest way to keep getting away with it.

I wouldn't be surprised if nobody in the writer's room even noticed Dexter sliding into anti-hero territory and becoming "cool" until it was too late, and it's what broke the show, in my opinion.

Compare to Breaking Bad, for example, which gave Walter White plenty of badass "hero" moments but never lost sight of the fact that WW was a selfish, monstrous person. Not only did this maintain the integrity of the show, it gave us new and exciting plot developments that Dexter never could, because Dexter couldn't reconcile our image of Dexter the cool vigilante with the reality of the show, so we got season after season of treading water.

KRILLIN IN THE NAME
Mar 25, 2006

:ssj:goku i won't do what u tell me:ssj:

Was this posted here yet

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yVmNCachEKA

Blacula
Dec 22, 2008

KRILLIN IN THE NAME posted:

Was this posted here yet

Hahaha! it wasnt, so thank you.

I've just learned that Showtime has its own streaming platform, holy poo poo we really are back to paying for every TV channel.

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

Human Tornada posted:

They started the show off fairly disciplined, letting you know that Dexter is not a vigilante and he doesn't kill bad people because of some moral compass. He kills to get his rocks off and he chooses bad people because that's the easiest way to keep getting away with it.

I wouldn't be surprised if nobody in the writer's room even noticed Dexter sliding into anti-hero territory and becoming "cool" until it was too late, and it's what broke the show, in my opinion.

Compare to Breaking Bad, for example, which gave Walter White plenty of badass "hero" moments but never lost sight of the fact that WW was a selfish, monstrous person. Not only did this maintain the integrity of the show, it gave us new and exciting plot developments that Dexter never could, because Dexter couldn't reconcile our image of Dexter the cool vigilante with the reality of the show, so we got season after season of treading water.

It was the showrunner switch imho. Phillips was very aware of what Dexter was and how his story should end. Scott Buck is the one who came in with a hard on for Dex and thinking he was some superhero.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L-S4VVHQQ8A

I completely forgot this.

"What is it with you and 'rape'? No one's 'raping' anybody!"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JaddaCaddra
Oct 3, 2013

Declan MacManus posted:

the big problem with dexter is that, thematically, it’s a story about a troubled man who keeps his own inner demons at bay by murdering people who have done bad things, but its own morality and tone doesn’t really hold him accountable.

a good writer and writing staff would explore the repercussions that being a murderer and a hypocrite has on dexter’s life and the consequences he faces as a result of being a serial killer, even a “good” one. where it fails is that the writing staff sees dexter as a hero and a good guy. i think one of the reasons that comparing breaking bad to dexter works so well (besides the fact that they aired in the same timeslot contemporaneously) is that breaking bad knows that it’s protagonist is a bad guy doing bad things and other characters treat him like he is, and the show frames him as a villain. dexter on the other hand revels in its pulpy adulation of dexter; usually, if he fucks up and breaks his code or his lifestyle gets disrupted, we get an episode or two dealing with the fallout and then the series shifts back to normal. back to the status quo it is.

there is a deep and profound lack of curiosity in dexter’s character, which i think works in the first few seasons as exploring dexter’s psychopathy, but ultimately peters out into a lack of depth. dexter is unmoored to the world around him, and he has no deeper obligations to the people around him, who suffer and/or are killed either directly or indirectly through his actions. he is never made to feel consequences for this in the long teem. dexter is just as big a monster as anyone who ends up on his table, but the series lets him off with just some minor inconveniences to his lifestyle. it still treats him as a hero and the suffering people around him as inconvenient rather than as victims.

it’s bad folks

Brilliant dissection.

One of my main issues with the show was how Dexter's killings that didn't fit his code were always brushed aside with a cop out, or just plain not addressed. Like in season three, when he kills that one guy in self defense and he spends an episode or two struggling with having killed an innocent man before oh wait it turns out he sold drugs to kids. He was a bad dude so it's cool. Then he ritualistically kills someone in season four and it turns out it was actually the dude's coworker or something behind the killing, but oh it turns out the guy beat women and was an rear end in a top hat so it's fine. Not the type of people Dexter kills usually, but they were bad, it's fine.

Then there was the time he beat someone to death in a gas station and the justification was just "Dexter's in mourning," and by the last season he killed a guy (played by Jim Beaver) just for being a dick, but that was fine because it was for Hannah Sue. Those last two times never got addressed again after their respective scenes ended. Just completely dropped any illusion of morality, and I can't decide if that or the cop out was worse, though I can say both were terrible.

The thing that really sucks about this is, you could have made an interesting story from any one of those. Make Dexter justify it by broadening his code after the fact and thus making the victim's disappearances more likely to be noticed, make him second guess himself about potential kills, make him do something to give some weight to these things. But they couldn't do any of that because they couldn't decide what Dexter was. Was he an antihero or just a straight up villain slaying hero? They went the laziest route, Dexter's a good guy who says what he does it bad, but all people he kills are explicitly awful with zero good qualities and who don't have any connections.

A plot I always thought would have been neat, though admittedly kinda schlocky, is if Dexter killed a dude for a murder he did years ago, only to find out afterwards the guy was actually a decent person otherwise and who he killed wasn't any different than some people Dexter have done in. Or have it turn out he has family (wife, kids, disabled sibling, old parent, whatever) who are dependent on him, so out of guilt Dexter tries to help them out in some ways without giving away who he is. Very soap opera like and predictable but they at least show some sort of consequence.

The only hint of this we ever got was when Dexter killed the priest in the first episode and afterwards we see his grieving wife reporting him missing, and that's that. Any other time he kills someone they're either a lone wolf or it turns out their families hated them because they were super abusive. Once again, failing to address consequence or just plain copping out.