Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

Lmao at all the images in this thread and pre-emptively at the show

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

I liked how all the previews in season 8 were edited to make it seem like something interesting would happen next episode, then it would turn out the clips were something completely mundane in context

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

some bust on that guy posted:

This thread makes Dexter seem a lot more fun than it was. It wasn't even fun to hatewatch. It was boring 95% of the time. Game of Thrones was fun to hate watch, not this.
Honestly yeah. I liked the thread but the actual show wasn't even entertaining in a stupid way most of the time.

One of the only things I remember enjoying in the later seasons is that time that Dexter spent like 3 episodes fighting a guy who dressed up as a minotaur and chased his victims around a homemade labyrinth

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

I mean the general public still thinks Doakes was the Bay Harbour Butcher. That seems pretty "wrong" to me.

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

Genuinely really looking forward to the reboot.

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

Seems implausible to me that a cop would let their colleague get away with killing someone

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

Tofu Injection posted:

The thing about Dexter is it was always awful and about as subtle as a hammer. In the first like 10 minutes of the first episode he looks at a donut box and the voice over goes "empty inside. Just like me". The show never had any respect for the intelligence of its audience from day one.
That was a funny piece of dialogue in the dark comedy tv show Dexter

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

New series looks cool.

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

I'm genuinely pretty excited to see a new season by the guy who made 4 mostly good seasons of Dexter.

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

George H.W. oval office posted:

There is absolutely no way even a competent season 1-4 writer can salvage what was done in 5-8 so lol at what we are going to get. Now that there is no pretense of this being good I am just strapping in to enjoy the ride.
Most of it can be ignored due to the new setting at least.

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

That was pretty good, looking forward to seeing how the season progresses.

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

Yeah it's just Dexter congratulating himself for not killing people.

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

I liked the angle on Dexter that this episode took, where he's perfectly capable of living a normal life but only truly has fun when he's back to killing and talking to himself about about how much of a monster he is. First time he's been presented as dangerous rather than just a vigilante who broods a lot for a while.

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

Cojawfee posted:

Wouldn't selling guns require a background check of his own?
I don't find it hard to believe that Dexter has a solid fake identity given that he worked at the police and by all accounts had prepared the groundwork to run away years in advance.

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

Megillah Gorilla posted:

I'm not a serial killer on the run from the law, but even I know that if you're sending a letter you make sure to go somewhere far, far away from where you live so the postmark doesn't give you away.

Unless, Dexter just put a return address on the back.
Swear to god, if that's what he did I'm out.
Is Dexter on the run from the law? I can imagine people would find his sudden disappearance suspicious but I don't think anyone alive thought he was a serial killer by the end.

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

That was pretty good. Given how loving stupid the s8 finale was I think they've done a good job salvaging a coherent storyline out of it.

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

I mean yeah basically all their resources came from asking locals to help, including the guy with the helicopter.

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

Harrison lied so she doesn't know Dexter left his son by choice - she probably assumed it was due to a separation or something. That statement obviously would've rattled Dexter though

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

I assume it's something the kid's parents don't know about

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

It's a good stinger, I hope it isn't dismissed with immediately like you got in old Dexter. Would much rather have some huge dumb twist. Random guesses:
- dickface sent a fake message to make sure he'd keep getting hush money
- Kurt has delusions when he kills (like Dexter) and imagined his son talking to him
- Kurt came to some kind of weird realization that he was the same as his son's killer and decided to let it go
- Dexter just straight up imagined the murder and corpse, he didn't do poo poo and Matt is actually still alive

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

I liked the extended Deb/Dex internal monologue/crime scene recreation.

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

Measures were presumably taken to protect Harrison's identity.

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

Breetai posted:

Wasn't it suggested or even explicitly stated in the last season that Dexter's dad hosed up big time and that by introducing the code and pushing Dexter down the path he basically ensured that he would be a serial killer when I wasn't actually inevitable in the first instance?
No idea about s8 but Dexter has been struggling with this idea this season, given that he went 10 years without killing everyone and is constantly going back and forth in his mind about whether Harrison is a monster. I think Harrison almost certainly isn't but I'm very interested to see what conclusion Dexter the character arrives at - accepting that Harrison can live a regular life even if he did have a troubled upbringing could amount to him rejecting Harry's code.

Irony Be My Shield fucked around with this message at 00:20 on Nov 30, 2021

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

It seems pretty likely that there's a 'Doakes was innocent' movement even if that remains the official story.

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

The first sequence demonstrates how the second kill went wrong for Kurt.

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

This series has been good. I'm glad Dexter got another shot at a non-Scott Buck season.

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

Dexter was the prime suspect for Matt's disappearance until he turned out to be 'alive', it's not a hard connection to make once you know for sure Matt's dead. Kurt also managed to get him to slip up and reveal information he shouldn't know during one of their conversations earlier in the season.

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

I thought the missing girls were mostly from the reservation rather than the town?

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

Deb has been very clearly an internal thought process of Dexter this series

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

Nep-Nep posted:

Dexter teaching Harrison the code after ghost Deb acknowledged it as child abuse would be such a bad turn, so I hard agree there.
Dexter is clearly conflicted and either conclusion could be a good ending depending on how it's developed.

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

I fully believe that a cop finding a screw from the body of a missing person in your house would be enough for the DA to hold you. Obviously the wider details surrounding those screws would not stand up in court but by that point a serious investigation in Miami could easily have turned up a bunch of evidence of his past crimes (note that the fact she had been in contact with Batista was the thing that really spooked Dexter, he was confident he could beat the Caldwell charge on its own).

Irony Be My Shield fucked around with this message at 04:47 on Jan 11, 2022

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

That sounds stupid, Dexter didn't know he was in trouble until Angela mentioned Batista was coming over.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

Harrison was honestly pretty good in New Blood and I'd be willing to at least try a sequel series about him.