Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar
Reminiscing with this thread over the last 6 pages almost made watching the final season of Dexter worth it.

Such a lovely, lovely show. But the TV/IV thread was gold.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar

esperterra posted:

plenty of time for a goon dexter rewatch

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

Bread Liar

Senor Tron posted:

If I recall didn't they even have multiple episodes where sunset/sunrise was absolutely wrong on the coast for being being on the East Coast?

It's always fun spotting things like that.

I remember an episode of Veronia Mars where a character went to "Australia" and was filmed sitting next to one of those little Baywatch lifesaver houses while the sun set in the ocean behind him.

A very pretty shot to be sure, but we don't have those little houses and he was supposed to be on the east coast.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

Bread Liar
Man, I'd forgotten how many incredible characters this show had.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

Bread Liar
Oh, I don't think I'll ever forget that goon.

Even after the reveal they were still arguing with everyone over it.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

Bread Liar

PostNouveau posted:

I wonder what Scott Buck is up to these days

lol

His writing credits end abruptly on those same 3 shows too.

If you're wondering how many chances you get in Hollywood, it's apparently 3.

Wow, three of the most terribly written shows of the last, uh, ever and he was responsible for all of them.

Regy Rusty posted:

Is that the same guy who would always post about how every episode was the best one yet and get mad that everyone else was making fun of how bad it was

I think it might have been. There were a couple people who still held onto a "it could still turn out good. It's all setting up for something big" week after week.

When it reality:

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

Bread Liar

PostNouveau posted:

I remember being mad when it was announced Scott Buck was doing Iron Fist. Not because I gave two fucks about Iron Fist, but because someone was giving Scott Buck work.

Iron Fist was just astonishing for how bad it was. Just every single thing in it except Carrie-Anne Moss. But even her performance didn't make it worth watching.

It was worse than just bad - it was stupid, too.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

Bread Liar
Oh god - I just remembered the painting.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

Bread Liar
Just magnificent.

They couldn't even be bothered to find a source image where Michael Hall was even pretending to give a poo poo.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

Bread Liar

George H.W. oval office posted:

Dexter explaining that Rita died post Disney trip was absolute quality

Oh god, he was still wearing the loving Mickey Mouse hat, wasn't he?

EDIT:

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

Bread Liar

nerox posted:

But what if it comes back and its like the best written show ever in the history of television. Everyone who watches it talks about how it is the absolute best show to ever been on television, except the people who watched all the original Dexter. They are all angry because it has shattered their worldview. Everywhere they go people try to chat them up about the latest episode of Dexter and they just want to let our their frustration that the show is not supposed to be good. Eventually the original Dexter watchers start to crack and start having homicidal thoughts. Collectively, they decide they need to move away from society and decide a forest in the Pacific Northwest would give them the seclusion to not have these thoughts about Dexter, their dark passenger if you will. So all the original Dexter watchers, grow beards, and put on lumberjack clothes and start cutting down trees to build their new homes.

Yes, I too remember the Heroes reboot.

No, not that one. The other one.

"Wow, they've had all this time to make plans and so much movie and TV superpower stuff has happened since then. This should be amazing!"

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

Bread Liar

CharlestheHammer posted:

The problem is these legacy shows love call backs

The big question we're all asking is what are the Dexter remake's C3PO/R2D2 going to look like? I.e. poo poo that does not need to be there, but the creators are going to stuff them in anyway because they're bereft of actual creativity.

I'm guessing an entire circus of head characters, while also fleshing the wink wink poo poo out with really stupid callbacks like buying the people he works with doughnuts every day. Probably at least half a dozen references to the classic opening scene with the bacon and flossing, etc.

And there's definitely going to be someone who thinks he's a massive creep, but who no one else believes.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

Bread Liar

Zenithe posted:

I like the new youtube feature that you can do chapters, so you can see the increasing length of time it takes to complain towards the later seasons.

Chapters seem pretty pointless given the progess bar auto hides after a few seconds.

I installed an addon to keep it visible at all times, but YouTube seems determined to kill the ability to do so for some reason.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

Bread Liar

PostNouveau posted:

Much like Game of Thrones, reviewers of the day didn't catch on to the decline in quality until Season 8 even though it had been apparent for a long time.

There are too many clicks to be mined in excited speculation about what will happen next. It's bad business to burst that bubble by pointing out how dumb the show has gotten.

And now we have an infinite number of moronic youtube channels who live for this poo poo.

"8 things you might have missed in the new Dexter premier!"

1) When he killed and cut up that guy, it was a callback to the original series where he would kill and cut up people

2) Other people can't actually see or hear Deb.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

Bread Liar

codo27 posted:

Some details are starting to slip in these interviews. Things I wanted to not know and speculate on for a while more yet.
https://www.gq.com/story/dexter-new-blood-michael-c-hall-interview

So we know its really Harrison

Didn't dexter have, like, 3 kids? Did Astor and Cody just get poisoned by the serial killer he left them with?

Or is Harrison using his own Dark Passenger to find his dad?

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

Bread Liar

Diabolik900 posted:

Astor and Cody were Rita’s kids, and the writers shipped them off to live with their grandparents almost immediately after she was killed, presumably so they wouldn’t have to bother writing around them.

Now I remember.

They were sent off to live with all the other TV children who weren't wanted.

Like the little kid from Married With Children, or the sister who went up the stairs and vanished on Family Matters.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

Bread Liar

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

Ok, fair enough.

I'm just now remembering that Trinity's daughter gets caught up with Quinn, and yeah... that felt completely dumb and bad.

I say all of this having never rewatched one single episode of this show. It and Sons of Anarchy will never be rewatched, I just can't do it.

I literally do not understand how anyone could go through the original series again.

It would break me.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

Bread Liar

JaddaCaddra posted:

So, apparently, yeah this is 100% legit. It was in some podcast one of the writers does, and it will indeed be revealed in this next episode.

Just... amazing. Somehow the writers still found a way to out stupid our joke predictions.

I'm not a serial killer on the run from the law, but even I know that if you're sending a letter you make sure to go somewhere far, far away from where you live so the postmark doesn't give you away.

Unless, Dexter just put a return address on the back.
Swear to god, if that's what he did I'm out.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

Bread Liar

Diabolik900 posted:

He’s not, unless something happened after the old series that we haven’t learned about yet.

It actually surprised me when I rewatched the show after nearly a decade. I knew he ran off and became a lumberjack, but I completely forgot why, and my mind filled in the blanks and assumed the police caught on to him, but nope. He just left his son with a serial killer who has no code because he thought he was too dangerous to be around.

drat, I had really thought everything was crashing down around Dexter, what with the deaths of LaGuerta and Deb, and he ran off before the cops put everything together and came after him.

Serves me right for giving the OG show too much credit. Of course it was stupider than that.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

Bread Liar

clown shoes posted:

I think the worst thing that could come out of this show is it becomes a hit and Showtime runs it into the ground again and has a lovely ending many seasons later. This will ultimately lead to a third revival series in ten years.

I'm predicting more of a Heroes Reborn scenario.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

Bread Liar
It only just occurred to me today - why did the girl locked in the murder room seem so comfortable and didn't question the sudden arrival of booze and nibbles?

Also, how did she not notice the lack of windows or door handle?

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

Bread Liar
So, a Hot Fuzz scenario?

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

Bread Liar
Probably thought they were actually going to find his kid sooner.

It's just when the search area got bigger and bigger that he got concerned.

Would rather let his kid die than get caught. Which is probably going to be a theme this season as Dexter does the opposite.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

Bread Liar
It was Doakes who taught Harrison how to do the force choke on that kid. All part of his long term plans for revenge.

His full name is Foster Doakes and that's why Harrison keeps saying he was in a Foster home.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

Bread Liar
Harrison saying he doesn't remember Aunt Deb, "except for the swears" is my genuine favourite moment from at least the last four seasons of the show.

Bonding over fucknuggets

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

Bread Liar

Argue posted:

I hope they reveal that John Lithgow (who we know is going to be appearing) is Harrison's dark passenger. I don't know how it would make sense but I want to see it, okay

This, except Lithgow is playing his Third Rock from the Sun character

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

Bread Liar
Dexter's attempted kill on the dealer may be his dumbest since the time he killed that guy at the airport.

Middle of the day, everyone in the bar saw his face, so incredibly public.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

Bread Liar

Cojawfee posted:

He came back on the force because they needed someone to draw obvious conclusions.

The commissioner said they wanted him off the bench and he didn't realise they were being literal.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

Bread Liar
Dexter New Blood: Too Many loving Tuna Sandwiches

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

Bread Liar
"Has anyone seen this girl who was last seen at the truckstop?" probably would have been a great place to start.

Even better if she asked the people at the truckstop.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

Bread Liar
Clancy Brown is a large man. That tunnel in the cave was barely big enough for the cop to fit through.

How was he supposed to have dragged a corpse - or multiple corpses - through that narrow space whose whole length was filled with debris?

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

Bread Liar

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK posted:

The bartender lady!

The only other person with speaking lines!

Quick, we need Dexter to sit next to someone at the wrestling match. poo poo who else is there who isn't a cop or a serial killer?

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

Bread Liar
The fact that a weird fetish sex comic turned into one of the best comics on the internet is a source of endless amusement to me.

Much like Oglaf itself.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

Bread Liar
Of course he is, because this is Dexter.

But imagine if he had let Kurt lock the podcaster up and then went running to Angela? Literally all his problems solved and he's back to being the hero.

But, well, Dexter.

Open Source Idiom posted:

The podcast is pastiche, not spoof, but oyherwise i agree with the people who are fine with it. Most things on the show are a bit unreal. The show's never been some sort of exacting realism simulator. It's pulp.

Tbh, my only problem with the podcast is the title. I get what they're going for, but it feels weirdly Christmas-y. It's far closer to being a pun on "Merry loving Christmas" than it is "Marry gently caress Kill", and her website IIRC has all this snow on it.

Honestly, just going with "Marry gently caress Kill" would have been fine given how many murderers kill people they know, married or had sex with.

EDIT: Just had a thought - maybe Kurt killing Iris was an accident. What if he shot her while hunting by accident? Found it a huge rush and has spent the last 20 years recreating that high.

Then his son almost does the exact same thing with Dexter. Who knows, if his aim was a little bit off he might have found a kindred interest with his dad as a family of serial killers.

Megillah Gorilla fucked around with this message at 04:57 on Dec 14, 2021

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

Bread Liar
Yeah, I realised after I posted that Dexter doesn't know Kurt likes to keep them alive for a few days. For all he knew, there was a plastic wrapped kill room waiting for her.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

Bread Liar
Pretty sure he only existed to show that Audrey cares about Stuff™

What that was necessary, I have no idea.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

Bread Liar
Really he only existed to confuse viewers to who the killer might be.

For all of one episode.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

Bread Liar
Just have to say - that trucker who gave Harrison the note may be the most unique one-off character in the show's history.

It was like he was channelling Edger from Men In Black.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

Bread Liar

Chef Boyardeez Nuts posted:

I love the consistent show logic point that everyone is casually aware of the local public access crematorium.

People keep harping on this, but yeah, local incinerators in remote locations are a thing.

If you're somewhere that rubbish collection cannot feasibly take the garbage away, then burning it is the best way to reduce the volume. Small towns will just leave it accessible to anyone, most often, and everyone knows when it fires up.

I only know of how they work in desert communities, but I suppose if you're somewhere it snows, they might be run full time and the excess heat used for all the poo poo people have to deal with in frozen hellscapes, like keeping pipes from freezing.

Also, Dexter would totally have been covered in a fine layer of ash from opening the incinerator up and tossing poo poo inside it. He probably also would have reeked to high heaven with that very specific "old fireplace" smell.

Easy enough for him to transfer the ash and smell over to Kurt after their hug and a ride in his car.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

Bread Liar

Cojawfee posted:

People are criticizing the "ketamine miami homicide" thing but I don't think it is all that unrealistic. People in general are loving stupid. If there were news reports of the BHB using etorphine, at some point someone is going to tell someone else "I heard the bay harbor butcher used some sort of drug, uh, ketamine I think" because they've heard of ketamine and couldn't remember the other one. Then enough people are going to be searching ketamine with BHB search terms that google eventually just gives you Bay Harbor Butcher if you search any combination of "ketamine", "miami", and some variaton of "murder".

Given how google works, typing "ketamine Bay Harbor Butcher" would probably show the exact same results as searching for "drugs bay harbor butcher". Typing any other drug would probably have given the same, too.

But I agree with the other goon who pointed out it would have made a lot more sense to use "puncture wounds in the neck" as the modifying term.