Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

corgski
Feb 6, 2007

Silly goose, you're here forever.

Splode posted:

Something Kaiser touched on in the modelling thread is that there isn't a lot of cross pollination between threads when there could be. A/T seems much better at directing people to other potentially useful threads but I never see it in here.

Why haven't I seen all the same people in the electronics, rc aircraft and ham radio threads, for example? There's a massive overlap there.

That’s something I want to promote too but I’m not sure how to do it beyond encouraging people to post project threads instead of just sharing everything in megathreads. I’d love to see more project threads! It gets people reading the forum index and looking for things that interest them that they might not have seen!!

As it is though, there really isn’t much reason to view the forum index or hunt for megathreads tangential to your hobby unless you like spectating on goon house projects (the one diy subcommunity that’s really taken to making their own project threads) or are already looking for a specific megathread.

corgski fucked around with this message at 17:21 on Oct 16, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

corgski
Feb 6, 2007

Bingo Bango posted:

I think the megathreads idea sounds great! I follow about 5 or so pretty awesome but quiet DIY threads and since I'm really slow with my projects, don't have much to post there. I think just a general hobby/craft chat thread could be nice too.

Wasabi the J posted:

I honestly think a mega thread tracker would be nice, just so that people can easily find the most appropriate thread for AT vs PYF style threads on the same subject, but I also understand that there's not a great solution for that.

I have just the thread for both of you

My Hobby Is Posting: The Hobby Thread Thread

My vision for this new addition to our stickied threads is - sorta like fix it fast - to have a hobby chat/quick questions thread with a reasonably accurate index of hobby megathreads and quality effortposting in the OP/reserved posts. Please help make that happen!

corgski
Feb 6, 2007

I appreciate that feedback and if need be I can sticky the trade threads again (plus tools, most likely) if it becomes a problem. That said, one thing I’d like to ask is

angryrobots posted:

I've seen a lot of bad info passed out about trade-specific stuff in the fix it fast thread, and it may not get caught in time because of the pace of that thread.

Please, please report these things when they come up - the fix it fast thread needs to be someplace people can trust for good, safe advice and I have no problem with using my mod tools to discourage bad advice, up to and including blanking replies containing dangerous advice. I really don’t want the thread’s reputation to ever be “bad advice” and if that’s the reputation the thread has we need to work on improving that independent of anything else.

corgski fucked around with this message at 05:44 on Oct 19, 2020

corgski
Feb 6, 2007

And you have been thoroughly treed.

corgski
Feb 6, 2007

angryrobots posted:

Building, Fixing, and Crafts

Saving this for next halloween when we dress up as a different forum!

corgski
Feb 6, 2007

Oof. Let's not.

corgski
Feb 6, 2007

angryrobots posted:

Sparks & Crafts

Gutters, Glitter, and Gardens

corgski
Feb 6, 2007

Better Homes & Gooncaves

(I know I know I left out the hobbies bit)

corgski
Feb 6, 2007

Kaiser Schnitzel posted:

Crafts & Construction Crap Posting (CCCP)

Da, ist very good building.

corgski
Feb 6, 2007

The way we made that work ages ago with the women’s fashion mega thread was to post a corresponding women’s clothing sale/swap megathread in SA-Mart that anyone could post in to offer stuff up. Let me ask in the mod forum and I’ll get back to you about what our options are.

corgski
Feb 6, 2007

bobua posted:

Often times I'm selling an old tool or something I think the diy folks would be interested in, and I'm okay with give-it-away pricing for a member but it doesn't make a lot of sense to post on the SA sale forum.(not practical to ship, etc). Wish we had a sales area here.

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3949919

Here's our brand new tool/craft/gear sale thread!

corgski
Feb 6, 2007

:grovertoot:

corgski
Feb 6, 2007

The thread found its forever home in the goodmine

corgski
Feb 6, 2007

It appears there isn't one right now. You should make one!

corgski
Feb 6, 2007

Epitope posted:

Do y'all know how long threads stay active in this forum? Just curious how long I have to resurrect, or bump it to keep it alive

Right now, indefinitely. The actual archiver hasn't run since sometime in 2014 and nothing in this forum has been locked for archiving in the past two years. If that changes there will probably be a forums-wide announcement from Astral or Jeff but I'll be sure to give people a heads up here as well.

Sorry for the delay in replying!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

corgski
Feb 6, 2007

does this mean HCH secret santa is delayed too? :ohdear:

(It does, we'll be having easter santa this year.)