Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Inverted Icon
Apr 8, 2020

by Athanatos
I own a business

That business weighs in excess of 421 lbs

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Spazzle
Jul 5, 2003

Inverted Icon posted:

I own a business

That business weighs in excess of 421 lbs

:eyepop:

Katamari Democracy
Jan 19, 2010

Guess what! :love:
Guess what this is? :love:
A Post, Just for you! :love:
Wedge Regret
Gets paid for sex.

Has a large business

A very...large business.

Spazzle
Jul 5, 2003

I own a business.
I was there for the specialized amino acid revolution.
I am an l-arginine business owner.

Spazzle
Jul 5, 2003

I own a business.
People pay me to take their trash and dump it in the ocean.
I am a barge business owner.

HamAdams
Jun 29, 2018

yospos
I own a business. I sell Simpsons memorabilia. I’m a Marge business owner.

YeahTubaMike
Mar 24, 2005

*hic* Gotta finish thish . . .
Doctor Rope
I own a business. I sell real love. I'm an El DeBarge business owner.

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth
I'm starting to think several of you might not actually own large businesses IRL..................

Bogus Adventure
Jan 11, 2017

More like "Bulges Adventure"
*lays off 50% of workers*

*gives self a $1 billion bonus*

*runs the "Small Business Association of America"*

*lobbies federal government for bailout*

*gives self a $2 billion bonus*

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

Brother Tadger
Feb 15, 2012

I'm accidentally a suicide bomber!

Pistol_Pete posted:

Hmm, my company owns all of its office and retail properties outright. That's good, I guess but what if... we sold them all off and then rented them back from the people that we sold them to instead? Sure, the company would be landed with a huge new monthly expense but think of how much cash we could distribute to the shareholders!

Yes, big companies actually do this.

Even worse, the interest they pay on the new debt counts against their (or at least partially reduces reduces) their tax liabilities. Even worse, they probably technically own the company that funded the loan through a complicated accounting shell-game (a la the panama papers) such that they are really just paying themselves to avoid tax liability. The free hand at work!

Grimoire
Jul 9, 2003
Me and ten other inbred dimwits are on the boards of every single public company. We just have different costumes for each

Blurry Gray Thing
Jun 3, 2009

Who What Now posted:

I'm starting to think several of you might not actually own large businesses IRL..................

It's true. I'm very poor. Really, I'm less than poor. I'm way in the negatives.

It's hard to describe the sheer size of my debt. Every time I walk by someone sleeping in the street, I can't help but feel jealous. That person's got more money than me, even if he's got no money at all. Give me a million dollars, and he'll still have more money than me, because a million won't even make a dent.

When people talk about helping the poor, the needy, the unfortunate, they should be talking about helping me.

Now, if you'll excuse me, I'm late for an afternoon of golf at the country club I own.

Nelson Mandingo
Mar 27, 2005

I came here to make lovely jokes but see this and my blood boils. This is a parody right? This is some extreme loving entitlement. Holy gently caress.

meat police
Nov 14, 2015

Who What Now posted:

Cheryl, when is my meeting with the partners from Taiwan? I want to know if I have time for some day drinking. What? It's a lunch? Alright, I'll just do a bump of coke and I'll drink at the restaurant.

I thought day drinking was for golf time. Much more socially acceptable

YeahTubaMike
Mar 24, 2005

*hic* Gotta finish thish . . .
Doctor Rope

Please for the love of all that is holy tell me this is fake

Grimoire
Jul 9, 2003

YeahTubaMike posted:

Please for the love of all that is holy tell me this is fake

nope, one of my bosses had that legit hanging in the break room at an old job.

He, of course, inherited the business. And as I said in the small business thread, hired a bunch of upper management to be drinking buddy yes men. This was at a small engineering firm. Spoiler: he was more interested in drinkin and football and country clubs than engineering

A Fancy Hat
Nov 18, 2016

Always remember that the former President was dumber than the dumbest person you've ever met by a wide margin

Everybody, it turns out that some people are abusing the "work from home" policy and not getting all their work done. I'm doing this quick conference call to explain that you MUST be in the office at least 80% of the week, and the remaining 20% you MUST be available for calls and emails.

*the very obvious sound of seagulls is heard in the background*

So anyway, we all know some of you are struggling with the virus situation. We're through the worst of it now, it's time to get back to normal. You can't just run away from your responsibilities at work.

*a child's voice saying "Father, let's go scuba diving again, it would be ever so fun!" is heard*

Uhhhh, so until productivity improves I'm ending the work from home program except in emergencies such as surgeries. Okay well I'll give you the rest of your day back, I'm very busy as well right now.

Arven
Sep 23, 2007
*started the business myself 40 years ago, treats employees so well they stick around for decades despite the pay not being great, to the point many are now in their 50s and unable to go anywhere else even if they wanted to*

*retires and leaves company to my son, who immediately sells the company to a competitor that lays off everyone over the age of 35*

GolfHole
Feb 26, 2004

meant to put this in the small store thread, sorry

GolfHole fucked around with this message at 01:13 on Oct 20, 2020

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

GolfHole posted:

meant to put this in the small store thread, sorry

You're their all time best seller

nakieon
Aug 28, 2020

When COVID happened, I made a video stating that "we are all in this together" while explaining that I will need to cut costs and furlough employees. It is the single hardest thing I've done (HAHAHAHAHAHA)

Colonel Cancer
Sep 26, 2015

Tune into the fireplace channel, you absolute buffoon
*shits pants but like rich CEOishly*

ScRoTo TuRbOtUrD
Jan 21, 2007

Im gay

...and we refer to anyone who bought our phones in the last 5 years as "paypigs". We toss that one around at board meetings like a football. Its wild.

Invisible Clergy
Sep 25, 2015

"Behold, I will corrupt your seed, and spread dung upon your faces"

Malachi 2:3

1redflag posted:

Even worse, the interest they pay on the new debt counts against their (or at least partially reduces reduces) their tax liabilities. Even worse, they probably technically own the company that funded the loan through a complicated accounting shell-game (a la the panama papers) such that they are really just paying themselves to avoid tax liability. The free hand at work!

I was under the impression that this is leaseback and is both legal and beneficial to a company. My understanding of the process is:

Company A owns all the building they operate out of.
Company A creates shell company B and sells the building to B for $1.
Every month, A pays rent to B

As long as the rent is a fair market rate for the area it's... immune to taxes or something so it's beneficial for company A to do this. I'm sure there are gaps in my understanding of this, so if anyone can fill them in, I'd appreciate it.

poverty goat
Feb 15, 2004

One of these days I'm going to eat one of my employees. Just to see what they taste like.

Brother Tadger
Feb 15, 2012

I'm accidentally a suicide bomber!

Invisible Clergy posted:

I was under the impression that this is leaseback and is both legal and beneficial to a company.

It being legal and beneficial to the company (but not society in general) was exactly my point.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OB-GYN Kenobi
Dec 4, 2017
Complete list of resume qualifications read:

4th generation business owner