Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Gaming UPS
Pro-Gamer UPS
Anti-Gamer UPS
View Results

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
clark griswold rear end computer

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

I fully support extracting money from dumbshit people who self-identify as "gamers".

Fart Sandwiches
Apr 4, 2006

i never asked for this
I have no idea how much power it was pulling to do that, when I built a new pc with intel poo poo the problem went away. this was also like 8 years ago so

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

i have to have a car because otherwise i cant drive around the country solving mysteries while being doggedly pursued by federal marshals for a crime i did not commit (9/11)

that guy is shouting the n word

Best Bi Geek Squid
Mar 25, 2016
I'm such an old school gamer I remember plugging my xbox 360 into my dad's cludgegy ups to beat halo 3 during ts Humberto

Newbie gamers these fuckin days don't know easy they have it smdh

Roosevelt
Jul 18, 2009

I'm looking for the man who shot my paw.

Best Bi Geek Squid posted:

I'm such an old school gamer I remember plugging my xbox 360 into my dad's cludgegy ups to beat halo 3 during ts Humberto

some of these young whippersnappers didn't even grow up with a dad who would shut off the nintendo in the middle of the last boss fight because "you've played enough"

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA
:xickos:

thread delivers. voted 5.

Bored Online
May 25, 2009

We don't need Rome telling us what to do.

Roosevelt posted:

some of these young whippersnappers didn't even grow up with a dad who would shut off the nintendo in the middle of the last boss fight because "you've played enough"

:smithfrog:

dougdrums
Feb 25, 2005
CLIENT REQUESTED ELECTRONIC FUNDING RECEIPT (FUNDS NOW)

Fart Sandwiches posted:

I had this old pc with an amd processor and graphics card that drew power like crazy and got real hot to the point it would trip the breaker in a heated gaming sesh. I got an ups to give myself enough time to run and reset the circuit before it drained.
i had the same setup, then one day i realized that it shared a circuit with my neighbors a/c, so we just got the landlord to fix it

klosterdev
Oct 10, 2006

Na na na na na na na na Batman!
Lmao @ APC never hearing of a gaming laptop

r u ready to WALK
Sep 29, 2001

Modern kids would call CPS on you if you tried to cut into their iPad and Nintendo time.

Parenting is done by the algorithm in 2020

Doc Block
Apr 15, 2003
Fun Shoe

Best Bi Geek Squid posted:

lol if you’re young enough that “old school” means Xbox 360 to you

get off my lawn!

Best Bi Geek Squid
Mar 25, 2016

Doc Block posted:

lol if you’re young enough that “old school” means Xbox 360 to you

get off my lawn!

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

is the joke on that one the lack of cesar romero?

Bored Online
May 25, 2009

We don't need Rome telling us what to do.

aaaaaaaaaaa

Agile Vector
May 21, 2007

scrum bored

Midjack posted:

is the joke on that one the lack of cesar romero?

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

i have to have a car because otherwise i cant drive around the country solving mysteries while being doggedly pursued by federal marshals for a crime i did not commit (9/11)

hot dog event
Apr 17, 2002

~Iᑎ TᕼIᔕ ᕼOᑌᔕE~
    we
𝖘𝖓𝖎𝖕𝖊 𝖔𝖚𝖗 𝖊𝖓𝖊𝖒𝖎𝖊𝖘
🄲🄾🄼🄿🄻🄴🅃🄴 🄾🅄🅁 🅀🅄🄴🅂🅃🅂
𝕗𝕚𝕝𝕝 𝕡𝕚𝕤𝕤 𝕓𝕠𝕥𝕥𝕝𝕖𝕤 𝕥𝕠 𝕥𝕙𝕖 𝕓𝕣𝕚𝕞

hifi
Jul 25, 2012

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BsjqnYbsDO4

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

do NOT mess woth us

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy
is sine wave really needed? i just bought an apc 1000 for like $130 and see it does not support sine wave. is my computer going to slowly fry?

i also hooked my router and modem to it. also my home security system (camera hub and DVR box) oh and my sprinkler system because i was sick of my sprinklers going off at 8 PM every time we had a power outage

also here's my stats!

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

sine or die

Sniep
Mar 28, 2004

All I needed was that fatty blunt...

King of Breakfast

Chumbawumba4ever97 posted:

is sine wave really needed?

if your computer’s psu does not have a 110/220 V little plastic orange switch on the back, then it must use a pure sine wave ups

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy

Sniep posted:

if your computer’s psu does not have a 110/220 V little plastic orange switch on the back, then it must use a pure sine wave ups

unless you're messin' with me i don't think i've ever seen a PSU without one (except maybe some pre-fab HP desktop or something)

Sniep
Mar 28, 2004

All I needed was that fatty blunt...

King of Breakfast

unless you're messin' with me i don't think i've ever seen a PSU without one (except maybe some pre-fab HP desktop or something)

Check.

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA
:xickos:

maybe he has a cosine wave ups? :mmmsmug:

The_Franz
Aug 8, 2003

r u ready to WALK posted:

Modern kids would call CPS on you if you tried to cut into their iPad and Nintendo time.

Parenting is done by the algorithm in 2020

my brother tried that line because my dad told him to stop playing games and do his book report. he told him to go ahead "you think they're going to let you play nintendo at a foster home?"

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

fart simpson posted:

maybe he has a cosine wave ups? :mmmsmug:

Let's not go off on a tangent here.

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream
I'm too lazy to turn off the sounds on the few different UPSes i have in my house so when the power goes out I get to listen to a series of warning beeps until the power gets fixed

i'll turn the sound off, someday

Doc Block
Apr 15, 2003
Fun Shoe
gaming oops

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
switching PSUs can actually live even on 120 volts DC or whatever random frequency you poo poo into them. they're chopping it up and managing it at 15 khz - which creates harmonics through every ham band which is how i know how they "work"

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

(and can't post for 10 years!)

gaming ups and gaming downs

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry

lmao

congrats on the first meme making me feel really old

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy

Fabricated posted:

I'm too lazy to turn off the sounds on the few different UPSes i have in my house so when the power goes out I get to listen to a series of warning beeps until the power gets fixed

i'll turn the sound off, someday

this is me. it's super annoying because i have young kids and if the power goes out, this wakes them up.

it doesn't help that the only way to turn off these defaulted-to-on beeps is by having to hook them up to a loving computer via usb cable and turn them off in software

Hed
Mar 31, 2004

Fun Shoe
just open er up and rip the piezo out of all UPSes, ONT battery alarms, and waffle irons imo

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

Hed posted:

just open er up and rip the piezo out of all UPSes, ONT battery alarms, and waffle irons imo

replace them with proper cone pc speakers imo

r u ready to WALK
Sep 29, 2001

battery UPS are for chumps, real progamers get a flywheel ups

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y9l1Wn7v4uk

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

r u ready to WALK posted:

battery UPS are for chumps, real progamers get a flywheel ups

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y9l1Wn7v4uk

i'm either the tiny engine or the giant fan

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy
the back of my UPS looks like this:

the way i have live TV set up in my house is I have an HD antenna on my roof, then a coaxial cable goes all the way from there along the entirety of my house to an HD Homerun in my basement. then i get live TV on every TV in my house via Plex, which works in conjunction with the HD Homerun box.

should i put it into the coaxial ports on the back of this thing first before it goes to the HD Homerun? the only thing i am worried about is signal degradation. as it is, some stations i BARELY get, like when i was using splitters i wouldn't get channel 7 (ABC) at all. does using something like this on the UPS degrade the signal at all, in the same way a splitter or coupler does?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine

the back of my UPS looks like this:

the way i have live TV set up in my house is I have an HD antenna on my roof, then a coaxial cable goes all the way from there along the entirety of my house to an HD Homerun in my basement. then i get live TV on every TV in my house via Plex, which works in conjunction with the HD Homerun box.

should i put it into the coaxial ports on the back of this thing first before it goes to the HD Homerun? the only thing i am worried about is signal degradation. as it is, some stations i BARELY get, like when i was using splitters i wouldn't get channel 7 (ABC) at all. does using something like this on the UPS degrade the signal at all, in the same way a splitter or coupler does?

Generally a surge suppressor wants to be as far "north" (as close to the jack/plug) as possible so the surge suppressor rides the lighning before your (more expensive thing plugged into it).

For a cheapo appliance though it might not matter, especially if your reception through it is already marginal.

The question is: "Which would you like to replace less"?